Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

Prepare yourselves, a huge update is hitting Splatoon and personally I am hyped to see all that it will bring

2 new map modes
And including....THE BELOVED HYDRA!!!!

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
New music. New maps. New gears. New weapons. New mode. New hairstyles.
And i still don't have the game CRIES IN SQUID
(hoo boy i haven't been much active on here in a few months)

Also someone should really take away that inkling's inkbrush before she hurts someone (really badly).

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Excuse me, is that a brella shooting ink while it's still up? Yikes

Also, Glooga and Squeezer confirmed

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
So they FINALLY after 4 months bring something worthy to the game.....and it's right when that last splat fest burned me out for a good while. Great!

Ah well, I still have to check the weekly weapons and maps....and the new mode looks cool. But I have to let go of the daily play time! :P

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I couldn't comprehend it all because I only saw an imaginary weapon that's just an urban legend. Doubt we'll see it this Friday! =p

One thing that always interests me about Nintendo is how they can always dump a crap ton of info in a small amount of time without confusing you. It's an interesting style.

Also someone should really take away that inkling's inkbrush before she hurts someone (really badly).
C'mon man, you'd feel rambunctious too if that music suddenly kicked off! Kinda felt like flipping tables and slamdancing all of a sudden myself. ¬¬;;

Excuse me, is that a brella shooting ink while it's still up? Yikes
And see-through? Going full Kingsman. It's a nice way to differentiate itself from the medium and larger sized brellas.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
And see-through? Going full Kingsman. It's a nice way to differentiate itself from the medium and larger sized brellas.
Kingsman was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. As a Splat Brella main (?) and someone who enjoyed the Kingsman films, I approve.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
SHOPPING JELLIES CONFIRMED

Whew, looks like they had way more in store than just a new gamemode. Glooga, tiny brella, squeezer and Hydra will be here too, looks like there will be fun times ahead!

But most of all, if this is true:
This would really make my day.

Award

Whew, looks like they had way more in store than just a new gamemode. Glooga, tiny brella, squeezer and Hydra will be here too, looks like there will be fun times ahead!

But most of all, if this is true:
This would really make my day.
It only took 2 and a half years! Technological wizards, these Nintendo folks...... :P

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
As if I don't already have enough stuff to play this holiday! Also, surely now the Splatoon 1.5 thing can be put to rest!

Award

As if I don't already have enough stuff to play this holiday! Also, surely now the Splatoon 1.5 thing can be put to rest!
We'll see. When we distill this we get a new mode (4 months later) that we knew was going to arrive, we got an announcement for weapons we knew (due to hackers) were going to arrive (and a hint of the S1 hydra), new gear (including, no doubt, stuff missing from S1), and the ability to change weapons in the lobby that we should have had in Summer 2015 and it's kind of disgraceful we didn't have at least in July 2017, and 3 maps, 2 of which are from Splatoon 1 (Walleye?! Why are all the bad maps returning and few good ones? )

So the defining difference here from Splatoon 1.5 is.....new hair styles? :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the update, but I think were getting too hyped by the dancing jellies to call this amazingly new considering most of it is late more than new...and still doesn't provide as many maps as should be by now. :)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Curious if gear swapping just means clothes only or everything (clothes, weapons, hair, leggings, controls).

I'd also like to know the lore on their new hairstyles, given how some of these looks seem to involve cutting their tentacles. And what becomes of the cut portions of their tentacles? *hides cooking equipment*

It's like they're the average, ordinary everyperson/NPCs when compared to our rambunctious, superpowered fraggles squid-kid PCs. It's an amusing juxtaposition.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
We'll see. When we distill this we get a new mode (4 months later) that we knew was going to arrive, we got an announcement for weapons we knew (due to hackers) were going to arrive (and a hint of the S1 hydra), new gear (including, no doubt, stuff missing from S1), and the ability to change weapons in the lobby that we should have had in Summer 2015 and it's kind of disgraceful we didn't have at least in July 2017, and 3 maps, 2 of which are from Splatoon 1 (Walleye?! Why are all the bad maps returning and few good ones? )
Why are you so negative on everything? Yeah, we knew it was coming, but guess what- things leak. That doesn’t mean it isn’t new, and that we can’t be excited about it.

Are things late? I wouldn’t even say that- we have no idea how developed the new weapons were prior to this point (probably had flaws in them, and we know how salty people get when things aren’t perfectly balanced), same thing goes for the ranked modes. Just because there are hints that something is coming doesn’t mean it’s ready to drop immediately.

And yes, Hydra did have such a long wait, but I think it’s a perfectly valid marketing decision on Nintendo’s part to remove content from S1 - allows for them to maintain hype while keeping dev costs down (and clearly they aren’t skimping on dev costs, seeing everything we got today). Maybe it’s a little bitter, but S2 is perfectly playable, with more than enough weapons and stages, even with content that has been temporarily removed from the game.

(Also, we are actually getting 2 brand new maps. The other one is Shellendorf Institute)

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771

So the defining difference here from Splatoon 1.5 is.....new hair styles? :p

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the update, but I think were getting too hyped by the dancing jellies to call this amazingly new considering most of it is late more than new...and still doesn't provide as many maps as should be by now. :)
Look on the bright side, this is one big step forward to the suppose "slow weapon updates" that some folks had been complaining about. So at least we will have nothing more then more new stuff (hopefully) in the future.

Also, Walleye was one of my favorite maps from the first game funny enough (unlike Arowana Mall) but at least wasn't Saltspray Rig. :p

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Do we have any samples for what Ink Theory sounds like? I’m dying to hear them.

Bottom Feeder sounds really cool. When they said “punk”, I was expecting Squid Squad 2.0, but got Korpiklaani instead. I love it.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I agree with @Award to be honest. There's no point in sugar-coating this game from what it really is: Splatoon 1.5 (with less fun in my opinion).

The game launched with 6 maps and 2 returning ones, all multiplayer modes were copy pasted from 1 (with Tower Control getting the biggest and only relevant change). What defined it from Splatoon 1 was a new Single Player campaign (not the main attraction and limited appeal), Salmon Run, new music and hairstyles + pants options. That really wasn't enough to justify a Switch for owners of Splatoon 1, because you were giving up all your gear and weapons to start from scratch with slow drip-fed content. The game sold well because of people who skipped Wii U and those who were done with Splatoon 1 that wanted a fresh start (not to mention the hacker situation getting worse on the original).

Since then the game has slowly eeked out weapons at a painful rate, and there's not a lot of brand new weapons from the original. You got the Flingza Roller, Clash Blaster, Goo Tuber, Splat Dualies, Dualie Squelchers, Dapple Dualies, Glooga Dualies, Tetra Dualies, Squeezer, Splat Brella, Tenta Brella and the Light Brella (no official name yet).

So far that's 12 new weapons that were never in 1, granted there may be more we don't know about because they weren't leaked or aren't in the game's files yet, but it isn't really a lot. How would Splatoon 2 look if Nintendo had turned around and said "Hey guys, Splatoon 2 is totally worth upgrading from Splatoon 1, for $60 MSRP you get 12 weapons never seen before, new maps, 1 new Ranked mode, Salmon Run, the return of Splatfests for 2 years, a new Single Player campaign and hairstyles plus pants, all on Nintendo Switch with paid online!" would you really have bought the game? It's bad PR, and a good way to make a game tank. Hence they worded it in a way that made it sound inconspicuous "More maps and weapons at launch than Splatoon 1, with even more by the end of these updates!". Bending the truth to sell a product is common in businesses, but not everyone is going to sit there and go "Yeah this is totally worth my money! Go *insert company here*!!!!!!!" because they can see issues with what they have and aren't impressed.

As it currently stands, Splatoon 2 feels very much like a downgrade from the first game. It's been said a lot recently by many people, but a lot of the maps are very samey, too much short ranged dominance and the maps plus music just blend into one forgettable mess. Many of us bought the game believing in a far better experience than the first game, and so far our faith has been badly misjudged and misguided. Considering the devs spent about 18 months balancing the first game, and it did settle down into a nice place, the fact Splatoon 2 is all over the place with balancing right now doesn't bode well for any future instalments. I've noticed that the devs tend to go to the extremes in weapon balancing, because they snapped all long ranged weapons in half between the nerfs and the map design philosophy taking centre stage in this game.

This new update looks promising, but really Splatoon 2 feels like it should have had 6-12 more months in development where they could have trashed a few Ranked modes in favour of completely new ones (i.e. keep Splat Zones and have 2 new ones, then add a 4th later on), spent more time and thought into creative and distinctive maps where all weapons can shine like Splatoon 1, actually junk most of the weapons from 1 and come up with new names, models and gimmicks, because we all know many weapons in the shooter class became filler because they were so useless, and make a game that had a concise focus on learning from Splatoon 1 whilst providing a totally new set of game rules and experiences to make people go "wow, this is clearly a sequel in its own right, it deserves all the praise etc.".

I honestly think the bigger budget just went into making the game look shinier and prettier than the original rather than investing into a bigger development team to handle each part of the game better than the first. It's great we're finally getting that much needed gear update, it's great we're being shown new weapons in action, it's great we're getting new distinctive music, it's great we're getting new maps shown. But if the maps are just as similar as The Reef, Inkblot, Starfish I won't be impressed, because I'm fed up with this "here's a square map with confined spaces and a focus on close range weapons" design choice, it isn't fun and it isn't helping. The new weapons won't all drop this weekend, because with 53 weapons being held back (includes already released weapons) we have our "year of content updates", but we at least have confirmation that Glooga, Hydra and Light Brella are all coming soon, which is still something.

At the end of the day it's not that we HATE the game or anything, it's just that we're frustrated with the fact it could have achieved so much more but the devs played it too safe and screwed up. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and the game will stand up on its own two feet to be the sequel I was hoping for. I'd certainly wish for that to be the case, because at this point, I'm burnt out and only come back for weapon, map and Splatfests at weekends, and even that isn't enough because I hop on for one session and go again. It all comes down to these patch notes tomorrow if the game will at least change with weapon usage and whether I can come back willingly.

Award

Why are you so negative on everything? Yeah, we knew it was coming, but guess what- things leak. That doesn’t mean it isn’t new, and that we can’t be excited about it.

Are things late? I wouldn’t even say that- we have no idea how developed the new weapons were prior to this point (probably had flaws in them, and we know how salty people get when things aren’t perfectly balanced), same thing goes for the ranked modes. Just because there are hints that something is coming doesn’t mean it’s ready to drop immediately.

And yes, Hydra did have such a long wait, but I think it’s a perfectly valid marketing decision on Nintendo’s part to remove content from S1 - allows for them to maintain hype while keeping dev costs down (and clearly they aren’t skimping on dev costs, seeing everything we got today). Maybe it’s a little bitter, but S2 is perfectly playable, with more than enough weapons and stages, even with content that has been temporarily removed from the game.

(Also, we are actually getting 2 brand new maps. The other one is Shellendorf Institute)

I'm not negative. I have the correct level of salinity for a WiiU owner that had played many hundreds of splatoon hours and has been a Nintendo customer long enough to have a real nzap 89. And a virtual boy. I know when Nintendo is hoodwinking me.... I'm used to it ;)

I agree with @Award to be honest. There's no point in sugar-coating this game from what it really is: Splatoon 1.5 (with less fun in my opinion).

The game launched with 6 maps and 2 returning ones, all multiplayer modes were copy pasted from 1 (with Tower Control getting the biggest and only relevant change). What defined it from Splatoon 1 was a new Single Player campaign (not the main attraction and limited appeal), Salmon Run, new music and hairstyles + pants options. That really wasn't enough to justify a Switch for owners of Splatoon 1, because you were giving up all your gear and weapons to start from scratch with slow drip-fed content. The game sold well because of people who skipped Wii U and those who were done with Splatoon 1 that wanted a fresh start (not to mention the hacker situation getting worse on the original).

Since then the game has slowly eeked out weapons at a painful rate, and there's not a lot of brand new weapons from the original. You got the Flingza Roller, Clash Blaster, Goo Tuber, Splat Dualies, Dualie Squelchers, Dapple Dualies, Glooga Dualies, Tetra Dualies, Squeezer, Splat Brella, Tenta Brella and the Light Brella (no official name yet).

So far that's 12 new weapons that were never in 1, granted there may be more we don't know about because they weren't leaked or aren't in the game's files yet, but it isn't really a lot. How would Splatoon 2 look if Nintendo had turned around and said "Hey guys, Splatoon 2 is totally worth upgrading from Splatoon 1, for $60 MSRP you get 12 weapons never seen before, new maps, 1 new Ranked mode, Salmon Run, the return of Splatfests for 2 years, a new Single Player campaign and hairstyles plus pants, all on Nintendo Switch with paid online!" would you really have bought the game? It's bad PR, and a good way to make a game tank. Hence they worded it in a way that made it sound inconspicuous "More maps and weapons at launch than Splatoon 1, with even more by the end of these updates!". Bending the truth to sell a product is common in businesses, but not everyone is going to sit there and go "Yeah this is totally worth my money! Go *insert company here*!!!!!!!" because they can see issues with what they have and aren't impressed.

As it currently stands, Splatoon 2 feels very much like a downgrade from the first game. It's been said a lot recently by many people, but a lot of the maps are very samey, too much short ranged dominance and the maps plus music just blend into one forgettable mess. Many of us bought the game believing in a far better experience than the first game, and so far our faith has been badly misjudged and misguided. Considering the devs spent about 18 months balancing the first game, and it did settle down into a nice place, the fact Splatoon 2 is all over the place with balancing right now doesn't bode well for any future instalments. I've noticed that the devs tend to go to the extremes in weapon balancing, because they snapped all long ranged weapons in half between the nerfs and the map design philosophy taking centre stage in this game.

This new update looks promising, but really Splatoon 2 feels like it should have had 6-12 more months in development where they could have trashed a few Ranked modes in favour of completely new ones (i.e. keep Splat Zones and have 2 new ones, then add a 4th later on), spent more time and thought into creative and distinctive maps where all weapons can shine like Splatoon 1, actually junk most of the weapons from 1 and come up with new names, models and gimmicks, because we all know many weapons in the shooter class became filler because they were so useless, and make a game that had a concise focus on learning from Splatoon 1 whilst providing a totally new set of game rules and experiences to make people go "wow, this is clearly a sequel in its own right, it deserves all the praise etc.".

I honestly think the bigger budget just went into making the game look shinier and prettier than the original rather than investing into a bigger development team to handle each part of the game better than the first. It's great we're finally getting that much needed gear update, it's great we're being shown new weapons in action, it's great we're getting new distinctive music, it's great we're getting new maps shown. But if the maps are just as similar as The Reef, Inkblot, Starfish I won't be impressed, because I'm fed up with this "here's a square map with confined spaces and a focus on close range weapons" design choice, it isn't fun and it isn't helping. The new weapons won't all drop this weekend, because with 53 weapons being held back (includes already released weapons) we have our "year of content updates", but we at least have confirmation that Glooga, Hydra and Light Brella are all coming soon, which is still something.

At the end of the day it's not that we HATE the game or anything, it's just that we're frustrated with the fact it could have achieved so much more but the devs played it too safe and screwed up. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and the game will stand up on its own two feet to be the sequel I was hoping for. I'd certainly wish for that to be the case, because at this point, I'm burnt out and only come back for weapon, map and Splatfests at weekends, and even that isn't enough because I hop on for one session and go again. It all comes down to these patch notes tomorrow if the game will at least change with weapon usage and whether I can come back willingly.
Absolutely perfectly said.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I’ve already said what I want to say, but there’s one thing that shocks me: why do you want them to scrap TC and RM? They are good modes, very competitive, and lots of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom