• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I think that everyone is having a hard time with Clam Blitz because everyone started at C-, which means that C- players could be carried to B or A and S+ could still be in C. Maybe there are just way more B and C players than we expected.

I can tell when an S+ player joins the lobby. One time, my teammate placed squid beakons next to the opposing basket so he or she could just super jump to it when he or she got a football.

Also, should be call players with footballs (power clams) quarterbacks?

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I think that everyone is having a hard time with Clam Blitz because everyone started at C-, which means that C- players could be carried to B or A and S+ could still be in C. Maybe there are just way more B and C players than we expected.

I can tell when an S+ player joins the lobby. One time, my teammate placed squid beakons next to the opposing basket so he or she could just super jump to it when he or she got a football.

Also, should be call players with footballs (power clams) quarterbacks?
Ok, just played ~2 hours of Clam Blitz, and I can see what y'all mean. You DIE a lot in this mode! I kept losing, and losing, an dlosing, but then I realized that I just took this from the wrong perspective.

The next match I stood by out basket and splatted anyone who tried to come close to it while my teammates attack their basket. Each match went flawlessly. Granted, I only 2 matchs at the end with this strategy, so I can't tell if it 100% works.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Whooooooo~... Clam Blitz squadding yall. x_X

Was planning to just do a twin squad but someone suggested we go quad... in silent running. No voice comms.

Now this is something we're all quite use to doing in league and splatfests, so I'm like "sure, let's enjoy ourselves and do it for the lulz!" But oooooh~, oooooh~ as competent and reliable as we are to each other, we were such a beautifully coordinated mess having no real plan, no real comp, and all of us at different experience levels with this mode! So we actually managed to win the first three matches! Then we lost the next three. One against some randoms. One against a friend of ours and his competitive team. And one against a friend of mine (she made sure her crew showed us a good time... ¬¬ ). Then our seventh and final match of the rotation was against a full Japanese team with a comp of Splattershot, Octobrush, Splat Charger, and Heavy Splatling Deco against our "okay... sure, this could work out" comp. And we barely won by the skin of our teeth for a 1722 power rating! Which about checks out as we were hardly able to beat any team over 1750 (actually using voice comms).

Wouldn't have mind a good drink or some tea after that, but I settled for some cruise control turf war instead because Walleye Warehouse and the Slosher Deco got released after the rotation!

But would I do it again? . . . . ah, sure, why not! I'll go ahead and regret it again later. =p

Award

Whooooooo~... Clam Blitz squadding yall. x_X

Was planning to just do a twin squad but someone suggested we go quad... in silent running. No voice comms.

Now this is something we're all quite use to doing in league and splatfests, so I'm like "sure, let's enjoy ourselves and do it for the lulz!" But oooooh~, oooooh~ as competent and reliable as we are to each other, we were such a beautifully coordinated mess having no real plan, no real comp, and all of us at different experience levels with this mode! So we actually managed to win the first three matches! Then we lost the next three. One against some randoms. One against a friend of ours and his competitive team. And one against a friend of mine (she made sure her crew showed us a good time... ¬¬ ). Then our seventh and final match of the rotation was against a full Japanese team with a comp of Splattershot, Octobrush, Splat Charger, and Heavy Splatling Deco against our "okay... sure, this could work out" comp. And we barely won by the skin of our teeth for a 1722 power rating! Which about checks out as we were hardly able to beat any team over 1750 (actually using voice comms).

Wouldn't have mind a good drink or some tea after that, but I settled for some cruise control turf war instead because Walleye Warehouse and the Slosher Deco got released after the rotation!

But would I do it again? . . . . ah, sure, why not! I'll go ahead and regret it again later. =p
I hadn't even realized that was a full Japanese squad...yikes. I'd have avoided that charger more rather than charging him head on with an inkbrush all the time :p I think I was still running nouveau by then.

@Saber carbon......didn't do it for me.....I tried and it was a disaster, I felt like I was playing with four tentacles tied behind my beak. Fingza was ok-ish, but not the powerhouse it is for zones. It's hard to get the bomb rush to be used well when the chaos is all in the round, and without the bomb rush the flingza is declawed. (to be fair the map was canal, where the rush is always harder to use with the huge flanking radius. The brushes seem excellent overall due to their ability to move fast. Squiffer was ok. But I largely settled on brushes, nouveau in particular. I got splatted a lot though. And it seemed like I get splatted every time I get a football. Then again this was during that quad ansible described...so testing these things against a bunch of competitive squads with voice chat probably wasn't wise :p

For solo queue....wow, what I mess. I had a crack in the glass before winning a SINGLE game. Then I went meta, switched to splash-o-matic, and carried every round and won every round. Luckily the game shot me from C- to B- after that. Hopefully things will get better, but wow c- clam was terrible. I got lucky. I had two rounds that NOBODY scored and it went into forced OT. Fun fact: OT lasts until anybody scores if nobody has a score. One round both teams were actually really good, and we stale mated for an over 7:00 minute match of constant attrition, nobody scoring. Finally we made a big push in the end and scored not just 1 but 20p.

Splash seems god-like for this mode....but I hate meta so I still main nouveau or octo. Maybe still squiff or tuber....I'll give carbon and flingza a try again next time I pair against non comp leagues :p But for solo carrying, splash may be it. Toxic mist seems excellent in calm because every mm matters....might have to try blaster. :D

Has anyone noticed that you seem to lose your clams when you Splashdown? Or is that just me? That kind of removes all splashdown weapons from usefulness in this mode if so.

Finally @Goolloom @Hero of Lime It was nice playing with you guys finally, however brief (we're one step closer to @Saber s goo tuber challenge, Goolloom!)...sent you guys an FR under my alter ego name, and @Dessgeega, nice playing with you again even though you probably didn't know it was me ;) I'd know that jet & hat anywhere!

Sorry you guys had to put up with my sorry attempt at wrangling 4k SCOPE after 2 hours of clam blitz....1 hour of ansibles chaotic quad above, and an hour of carrying c- solo....my wrists were not quite snap-worthy by then, and my eyes were even worse off!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Splash seems god-like for this mode....but I hate meta so I still main nouveau or octo. Maybe still squiff or tuber....I'll give carbon and flingza a try again next time I pair against non comp leagues :p But for solo carrying, splash may be it. Toxic mist seems excellent in calm because every mm matters....might have to try blaster. :D

Has anyone noticed that you seem to lose your clams when you Splashdown? Or is that just me? That kind of removes all splashdown weapons from usefulness in this mode if so.

Finally @Goolloom @Hero of Lime It was nice playing with you guys finally, however brief (we're one step closer to @Saber s goo tuber challenge, Goolloom!)...sent you guys an FR under my alter ego name, and @Dessgeega, nice playing with you again even though you probably didn't know it was me ;) I'd know that jet & hat anywhere!

Sorry you guys had to put up with my sorry attempt at wrangling 4k SCOPE after 2 hours of clam blitz....1 hour of ansibles chaotic quad above, and an hour of carrying c- solo....my wrists were not quite snap-worthy by then, and my eyes were even worse off!
It was a genuine surprise seeing you again, haha, you joined via Ansible, right? He and Gool and Lime are all friends of mine, that's how that coincidence happened :D

To answer your comments, yes Splashdown costs you your clams, so does Baller when you explode. Also, Splash-O-Matic isn't meta, use it freely :P It has nothing to offer that the N-Zap can't do with superior kits, you rarely see the Splash in the meta, if ever.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
You wanna go?!?! I'll ban you from this thread right now, boi!
Splattershot only. Subs and specials off. Final Destination Walleye Warehouse. :p

I hadn't even realized that was a full Japanese squad...yikes. I'd have avoided that charger more rather than charging him head on with an inkbrush all the time :p I think I was still running nouveau by then.
lol You were. And that charger went 24-3 while everyone else in that slobberknocker went almost 1-1. The entire time I kept fighting the charger with my face, while he kept gluing himself to the same perches and relied on the splatling's splash wall or a teammate to save him. Last minute I just flying tackled him and the whoever tried to protect him, found myself trapped behind the splatling that splash walled everyone from the goal, whacked him across the back of the head with a blackjack and just screamed "This Way!" repeatedly so we could just clam spam the goal. That soooooo should not have worked, lol.

And as Dess said, Splashdown and Baller make you drop clams at the end but you can hold onto them before that. Baller you can't pick up new clams during its duration. Inkjet lets you pick up clams and keep them after it expires but you can't or pass them. And the other specials allow you to keep your clams and collect new ones.

Meanwhile I'm feeling meh about the Slosher Deco. Slosher is okay even mundane as is, but it and its kit feels rather "well here you go, just go out there and play outside for a bit but don't come home til dinner time, okay, have fun, out the door with you now" pedestrian.

Last edited:

Award

It was a genuine surprise seeing you again, haha, you joined via Ansible, right? He and Gool and Lime are all friends of mine, that's how that coincidence happened :D

To answer your comments, yes Splashdown costs you your clams, so does Baller when you explode. Also, Splash-O-Matic isn't meta, use it freely :p It has nothing to offer that the N-Zap can't do with superior kits, you rarely see the Splash in the meta, if ever.
Haha, yeah, I join Ansible often, but that's the first time any of you guys have been there (I think I may have actually played one lone round with you like 3 months ago, but that was it.) I actually joined him for a few eliter rounds to wind down from the hectic clam carrying.....saw the name list and realized it was not going to be a relaxing cool down exercise at all! I'd have bailed after one round of that mayhem but it was too fun a crowd to bail on!

Eeww, clam dropping with splashdown....no sploosh or tuber for me in clam blitz! Baller seems better since it can plant you at the goal....but splashdown seems too risky. But splash being non-meta....ngyes! I can live with that! The kit is too good for clam! (At least until neo sploosh lands....the beacons seem all too exploitable for clam blitz :cool:)

Splattershot only. Subs and specials off. Final Destination Walleye Warehouse. :p

lol You were. And that charger went 24-3 while everyone else in that slobberknocker went almost 1-1. The entire time I kept fighting the charger with my face, while he kept gluing himself to the same perches and relied on the splatling's splash wall or a teammate to save him. Last minute I just flying tackled him and the whoever tried to protect him, found myself trapped behind the splatling that splash walled everyone from the goal, whacked him across the back of the head with a blackjack and just screamed "This Way!" repeatedly so we could just clam spam the goal. That soooooo should not have worked, lol.

And as Dess said, Splashdown and Baller make you drop clams at the end but you can hold onto them before that. Baller you can't pick up new clams during its duration. Inkjet lets you pick up clams and keep them after it expires but you can't or pass them. And the other specials allow you to keep your clams and collect new ones.

Meanwhile I'm feeling meh about the Slosher Deco. Slosher is okay even mundane as is, but it and its kit feels rather "well here you go, just go out there and play outside for a bit but don't come home til dinner time, okay, have fun, out the door with you now" pedestrian.
I tried SOO many times to squeeze between that splashwall and ramp riding my brush....and I succeeded! Then exploded as I went to throw the ball. The sniper was sharp, but it was the team coordination that made it unstoppable. I had him cornered in some back alley so many times and then someone else would just swoop in from behind me and take me out. Their whole team strategy was "PROTECT THE KING!" And it nearly worked until that little stunt! Still no idea how that worked. :confused:

You know I still haven't tried the deco....

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
FWIW, your clams/power clam drop(s) real close to where you were if you use the Splashdown. I've mostly played Splattershot for Clam Blitz so far, and it's working out fine. Though I probably find the Ink Storm the most useful special so far in CB. It can really help your team get that little extra push to the goal. And if you're like me and you play the Custom Jr. a lot, you'll always have it ready with how fast that weapon inks.

It's quite interesting that unlike any other mode, in Clam Blitz I usually find myself having the same role: opening the basket. There have been a couple matches where I was the only one of our team to open the basket. Then, I would hang around splatting enemies as they approach, and only if the coast is clear getting some clams of myself in.

Award

FWIW, your clams/power clam drop(s) real close to where you were if you use the Splashdown. I've mostly played Splattershot for Clam Blitz so far, and it's working out fine. Though I probably find the Ink Storm the most useful special so far in CB. It can really help your team get that little extra push to the goal. And if you're like me and you play the Custom Jr. a lot, you'll always have it ready with how fast that weapon inks.

It's quite interesting that unlike any other mode, in Clam Blitz I usually find myself having the same role: opening the basket. There have been a couple matches where I was the only one of our team to open the basket. Then, I would hang around splatting enemies as they approach, and only if the coast is clear getting some clams of myself in.
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Though I got lucky a few times with teams. In solo...league I felt like a paperweight at times. I died a LOT.

Bubble blower can be surprisingly useful here too....it's too easy for everyone to get distracted by clams and run right next to a bubble you're camping. Also can really help a push into the enemy goal.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yep, Bubble Blower can make for a great push, shield, and hiding weapon when getting those clams to the basket.

Sadly I've yet to see how this can work during an assisted or group push because, well, solo queue. =p

But it could probably make for a really frustrating push to counter.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222

Ah hey! Well it was nice playing with you, haha! I feel like I should be the one apologizing here for literally missing every single shot x.x;;
This was far from being my best night, but hey, can't win them all I suppose.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I find CB is the mode where you have to be most flexible. You have to be able to switch from defending hard to pushing aggressively in a matter of seconds to win the game.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

@Saber carbon......didn't do it for me.....I tried and it was a disaster, I felt like I was playing with four tentacles tied behind my beak. Fingza was ok-ish, but not the powerhouse it is for zones. It's hard to get the bomb rush to be used well when the chaos is all in the round, and without the bomb rush the flingza is declawed. (to be fair the map was canal, where the rush is always harder to use with the huge flanking radius. The brushes seem excellent overall due to their ability to move fast. Squiffer was ok. But I largely settled on brushes, nouveau in particular. I got splatted a lot though. And it seemed like I get splatted every time I get a football. Then again this was during that quad ansible described...so testing these things against a bunch of competitive squads with voice chat probably wasn't wise :p

For solo queue....wow, what I mess. I had a crack in the glass before winning a SINGLE game. Then I went meta, switched to splash-o-matic, and carried every round and won every round. Luckily the game shot me from C- to B- after that. Hopefully things will get better, but wow c- clam was terrible. I got lucky. I had two rounds that NOBODY scored and it went into forced OT. Fun fact: OT lasts until anybody scores if nobody has a score. One round both teams were actually really good, and we stale mated for an over 7:00 minute match of constant attrition, nobody scoring. Finally we made a big push in the end and scored not just 1 but 20p.

Idk for some reason I do well with the carbon, the flingza I mainly have sub saver and swim speed to keep walls up to solo target a player or block up the ramp/ink rails on Moray so I can keep tossing clams
For solo carry splash s ok, but the splattershot pro and n-zap is honestly the best at solo carrying, it is what I switch to in tryhard mode.
For splashdown and baller you loss all your clams (needs to be balanced), so it is best to either toss them to teammates or get a powerclam then use your special, since it will land 1/2 a space in front of you and you can just pick it up.

Personally splashdown into a beckon right by the basket might a deadly play if you have the power clam
(....great now I have to figure out a way to try this in solo queue :confused:)

Also if you guys are every a player short I am available, but there will definitely need to be an all goo tube match
Though I am surrised by now I though I would've run into you guys in game, yet somehow I have better rng finding the likes of Dude, Etce, and Rockenburg than any of the Squidboards members

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
After five months, I finally beat Octo Valley. It's good that there is less reason to play it compared to Splatoon 1, because now I could save it for whenever my Wifi was busted.

Final boss was pretty anticlimactic compared to S1 though, but that's fine, since it'll be less tedious to unlock the hero weapons. Not that I'll unlock most of those.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
So I've been gone for a while and was only able to play a little bit of the NA Splatfest and a few games of the new gamemode (Clam Blitz).

I have to say, the new gamemode is pretty chaotic (probably because I'm in C- with many other folk of various skill levels) and I find myself playing the roll of a "defender" or as some would say a "goalie" most of the time since most of the time we lose due to someone sneaking into our side a getting to our goal.

Aside from that, my little bit of Clam Blitz experience has been OK so far... but I have to play it more to have a better opinion of it.

Award

So Splatfest on team Sweater was actually better than it's been for a long time. Granted it was a clean sweep, but my longest losing streak was followed by a long winning streak. Sure it took going ultra tryhard spastic, but often on a fest, even that won't cut it! Then again my final fest match consisted of a B, S, A-, A (insert Resident Evil joke here) against myself, a C, a Lv21 unranked, and a Lv10 unranked. So a team of me and 3 noobs against mid-to-upper opponents. And we somehow won. :scared: Also had a fun round where my whole team just non-stop spammed booyah while just wiping the floor with the enemy... in solo.... I also liked this Shifty Station. It's probably the first one since the original with the moving platforms that I think was a really well balanced stage without big obvious flaws. The sweepers kept it constantly in motion. It was a little too small, but generally it played really well. If they ever make a Shifty into a normal map, that one has my vote.

I'm not sure how I feel about the map changes. Mainstage feels kind of butchered. As many times as I've cursed the half-wall out of the "pit" below spawn when I can't get up I'm not sure adding a ramp, and then adding TWO more ramps and removing the inkable half-wall up to the stage was a good plan. Once again they've removed what used to be defensible positions with endless flanking in the round. It's not map destroying but it takes some of the elements that made that map memorable and gave it distinct strategies and generalized it into a general round arena again.

Moray on the other hand....they've simply annihilated it....I don't even know what to say about that monstrosity now. It was bad before, but now it's insufferable. Everything that gave it uniqueness and character has been blended into another map featuring "rectangles at various elevations" and like Mainstage cranked to 11, turned it from a map with defensible positions into "battle in the round", as though the goal of the game is arena deathmatch ala Quake III instead of the varied gameplay that makes the game great. Maybe next month they're remove all the crates from Mackerel. "Removed some objects in center to improve gameplay." :P I just can't comprehend what they're thinking with these map changes. All I can think of is that in Japan, and only Japan snipers are still so dominant that they keep reinventing the game to break them without much thought going into that meta not existing in the West. I'd love to know what Japan thinks of the map changes.

Clam blitz. I technically love the mode overall. Solo is either fun or ghastly (or both.) Matchmaking is going to be a mess (more than usual even) for quite a while. So many teams made of players who in other modes are a mix of C- and S+4. I either end up 70% of the time getting a team that never pushes and never scores, or a team that keeps pushing and never defends (so I try and get swarmed by 3-4 squids.) But I've had maybe 30% of my runs where I get the most organized teams I've ever seen in solo with tons of booyah's and "over here" and general coordination. And a few with miraculous comebacks where they lost down to 6 in teh opening 40 seconds and then pushed hard and won. So more times than not it's a frustrating mess, but when it works, it works really well.

Slosher deco, ok moving right along..... :D

Idk for some reason I do well with the carbon, the flingza I mainly have sub saver and swim speed to keep walls up to solo target a player or block up the ramp/ink rails on Moray so I can keep tossing clams
For solo carry splash s ok, but the splattershot pro and n-zap is honestly the best at solo carrying, it is what I switch to in tryhard mode.
For splashdown and baller you loss all your clams (needs to be balanced), so it is best to either toss them to teammates or get a powerclam then use your special, since it will land 1/2 a space in front of you and you can just pick it up.

Personally splashdown into a beckon right by the basket might a deadly play if you have the power clam
(....great now I have to figure out a way to try this in solo queue :confused:)

Also if you guys are every a player short I am available, but there will definitely need to be an all goo tube match
Though I am surrised by now I though I would've run into you guys in game, yet somehow I have better rng finding the likes of Dude, Etce, and Rockenburg than any of the Squidboards members
So I took out carbon again and it was faring much better for me. Funny what happens when you're not experimenting against a bunch of competitive teams running VC :P I do actually like carbon for clam, you're right!

Two other fun weapons for it: Rapid blaster, and clash blaster. I've discovered clash is really really really good. I remember everyone saying how bad it is. I don't understand why....it's like top tier! :P And it works so well in clam blitz.

I tried pro, and it just didn't work....it's too slow to kill and clam moves so very fast. And I'm burned out on nzap after fest. I did my primary account with all nzap...it was fun at first.....then I couldn't take it anymore and switched to vanilla roller and went positively nuts! I've discovered I can be scary good with vanilla roller. :P Still love my gold dynamo though best of all.

LOL splashdown onto a beacon at the basket? How do you actually KEEP a beacon there?

Not sure if Gooloom accepted my invite yet but if we ever set up a tuber match we should be able to join via him now. But yeah it would be fun to join up with you eventually. Between you, me, and Ansi we have a fun anti-meta thing going on. You probably would never see me in game, since I basically play no ranked :P Well with clam blitz maybe I'll work up the ladder a bit....since it's new it's fun to play. But I played enough TC/RM/SZ in S1 to not need to spend time grinding past the B's in S2, so if it's not league or PB I just play tons of TW :cool: I've run into Rockenburg once, but only once (plus some clones.) Isn't Dude on a NoE account? I guess if he's joined someone else's lobby....I never thought about that, there's some amount of cross-region through friend lobbies and league. But only for TW, not sure in ranked that would be possible. I did see a CaptainWoomy (or some spelling) during fest....wonder if it was our Cap'n from SB?

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Am I the only one who thinks the majority of abilities in this game are useless? I keep giving some I don't like a try, but end up not thinking they're worth a slot.
So Splatfest on team Sweater was actually better than it's been for a long time. Granted it was a clean sweep, but my longest losing streak was followed by a long winning streak. Sure it took going ultra tryhard spastic, but often on a fest, even that won't cut it! Then again my final fest match consisted of a B, S, A-, A (insert Resident Evil joke here) against myself, a C, a Lv21 unranked, and a Lv10 unranked.
I wouldn't judge people solely by their rank. I've seen lots of people with high levels who apparentely don't play certain modes because they were C- in whatever ranked mode was currently in rotation. Yet they were perfectly fine teammates in Turf War. Hell, I myself am C- in Rainmaker and --- in Tower Control because I hate those modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom