Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
I completely missed this splatfest, it was a pretty long day for me. How was this Shifty Station?
imo shifty salon is jsut kinda trash tbh, it's the one stage that ruins the fun.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Personally I found this to be one of my favorite aside from the ketchup mayo stage.

Mainly cause I have always wanted a stage with invisble platforms, it give you clear line of sight at enemies from behind cover, allows you to find unique ways to move around the map and on the enemy side you could hide along the invisible wall and sneak attack people which was really fun.

Lastly this one was pretty balanced surr it can be easy to hold at time, but a coordinated push can easily change the tide of battle.

Personally I would love a stage with the invisiblity mechanic, it require you to explore more in TW and can allow you the opportunity to gain high ground or maintain visiblity in the comp. modes

Cyan

Inkling Commander

The 52 Deco is the next weapon to drop. Comes with a kit of Curling Bombs (the devs love releasing weapons after nerfing things that were "too good" :P) and Sting Ray. Probably another one of those weapons that comes and disappears and 2hrs from launch. I loved playing the vanilla 52 at launch but it's just too inconsistent at landing its shots. Curling Bombs should be better at closing the distance to get consistent shots on enemies, but Sting Ray on a mid-range weapon? That's going to be awkward and a deal breaker for many.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
I mean, it's still the .52 Gal, which is a good weapon to begin with, and I think it's going to be a bit in the same boat with the Sloshing Machine, with a Sting Ray on a mid range weapon. I liked having Seekers on the .52 Deco back in Splatoon 1, so I guess I could go at it again with this one. Sting Ray is still good in this meta, so I can definitely see this weapon being used.
Also this weapon is probably going to be stupid on Port Mack because of that kit lol

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yet another kit that is completely useless because there already exists another version of the weapon that doesn't come with Sting Ray.

Windstar

Pro Squid

The 52 Deco is the next weapon to drop. Comes with a kit of Curling Bombs (the devs love releasing weapons after nerfing things that were "too good" :p) and Sting Ray. Probably another one of those weapons that comes and disappears and 2hrs from launch. I loved playing the vanilla 52 at launch but it's just too inconsistent at landing its shots. Curling Bombs should be better at closing the distance to get consistent shots on enemies, but Sting Ray on a mid-range weapon? That's going to be awkward and a deal breaker for many.
R.I.P Port Mackerel.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Hey everyone back after a long hiatus, going to be updating the Player Archtypes thread later today, also I think I created a monster....I almost never run out of ink

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
When it comes to the main reasons to fire up your special, I feel that the Sting Ray doesn't do any of them as well as any of the others (bar maybe the Inkjet, but I just suck at using the Inkjet).

For one thing, it doesn't spread ink at all. Sure, most of the others don't spread a lot of ink, but it's enough that it can give you a bit of an advantage in a duel. But okay, that's part of that special, fair enough.

But the other two main reasons to use specials (raw kill power and pressure) are handled way better by other specials as well. It kills way too slowly to be any real threat to competent players, and you have to stand away from the battle, or else people are just gonna come up to you and splat you. So, you'd have to use it form a distance, but it's not reliable enough from a distance. If you use the Tentamissles (which doesn't excel in raw killing power or turf spreading either), you're done in 2 seconds and can actually use your main and sub to interact with those missles. Not to mention the missles themselves require more effort to dodge, since most of the time you jump over the Sting Ray, that's the last you'll see of it. Plus, it's way easier for a teammate to make use of your missles than of your ray.

Splashdown is a great panic button and manages to kill pretty much everytime I use it. Ink Storm is very easy to use as a pressure tool. Bomb Rush creates chaos all around and helps spread some turf. The Sting Ray, on the other hand, specializes in nothing whatsoever. Yes, it's got range, but like I said, it's too easy to dodge and takes ages ro rank up damage. The rare times I get killed by a Sting Ray I'm practically embarrased. I kill a lot more people WHO ARE USING the Sting Ray than Sting Ray users kill me, and I'm sure that goes for a lot of people here. I mean at like a 5:1 ratio, at least. The same goes for the Ink Jet and the Curling Launcher, though in latter case, that's probably due to incompetent players more than anything else.

Anyway, if you like the Sting Ray and get use out of it, great. I can't though, and most players I play against can't either. Maybe it has its uses in Tower Control and Rainmaker (especially the former, I can imagine), but I don't play those modes.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@MINKUKEL Imagine an all piercing laser that follows your movement with splatoon 1, S+ jp eliter levels of precision.

Then imagine an all piercing kitten laser that starts to aim at you but then gets distracted by a butterfly.

It definitely takes A LOT of skill,I can hardly use it, but when the work is put in, Stingray's payoff is astounding.
Stingray ran rampant yesterday in G5 top 12.

That being said, I totally agree. For most of us, stingray is either tower control/rainmaker overtime insurance, or a youngling charger in special weapon form. Your common, garden variety of stingray will be the all piercing kitten laser =3

Woomyapple

Full Squid
NNID
Apple
Switch Friend Code
SW-2793-7212-9515
Yet another kit that is completely useless because there already exists another version of the weapon that doesn't come with Sting Ray.
Even after it's awesome buff, Sting Ray is pretty useless outside of splatting. I only use it for Ranked because it won't do much help on turf war. If I wanted to keep the other team from getting near the base and know where they are, I would just use Tenta Missiles. Also, Sting Ray makes you SUPER Vulnerable and I hate that...
Custom Jet Squelcher is still pretty awesome, though.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Am I the only one who fails to understand why we're comparing Stingray with tenta missiles?? Stingray can literally put anyone you want out of their positioning opening up options for your teammates to add extra pressure to push where they need to push. If someone is playing some hard defense like a splatling or something well you have at least 8 seconds of giant wall piercing beam to take them out. All it takes is the slightest bit of game sense for when to use it. Not all specials are "use as soon as you get it" specials. Sure it's a little harder to time in solo queue but really if you're paying attention then you can figure it out. If no one is pushing, rely on your main weapon to clear the way to push, then use stingray when people are flocking to the objective to defend, or pop a stingray to clear the way for your teammates to come in during an enemy push. All tenta missiles do is make people move backwards and then back to their spot in a matter of 5 seconds. It takes so much more attention and movement skill to evade a stingray. If you fire a stingray at the tower you halt their push giving your teammates time to get back in or reposition. If you fire tenta missiles at the tower, they don't even have to move unless they're at a checkpoint because otherwise the tower is moving.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well
when you get down to it, all specials are a means of zoning/control.

And, while tenta missles are launch and leave 'em, the stingray can track and follow oppenents where they are going, rather than simply aim where they are at a particular moment, then land in that area a second or so later, regardless if they moved since then.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's a lot of ways to remove people from their positions though. For example Ink Storm does that, but better IMO. It's true, it's not a use-it-as-soon-as-you-get-it kinda special. But that only means you're gonna have less Special uses in a match.

I'm comparing it with the Tenta Missles because the purpose of that special is also mostly to disrupt. Which, like I said I think the Tenta Missles do way better.

The problem is that it's just so limited in what it can do. It's too slow and narrow to block off passages. It's too slow and weak to just whip around to create chaos. You can track an opponent with it, but then that's the only thing you're doing for a few seconds and it doesn't guarantee anything good will come out of it. Again, it might be useful for Tower/Rainmaker, but in other modes, people rarely flock to one place, and if they do, they sure don't stay there.

It's hard to master, but easy to dodge. And if you didn't manage to do anything with it, you just wasted 8 seconds of playtime.

Windstar

Pro Squid
Two japanese tweets from a week ago? How about a little context there?
Sorry, I could’ve provided a translation.

Second Tweet: “For this time, we have already delivered update data that we planned in advance, mainly to adjust performance of some buki (???).”

Figured you guys would like to know.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Isn't it just about the 2.2.1 update that they released very shortly after the 2.2.0 update? I mean, the tweet is from a few days back already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom