Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Something horrible happened. My power was off for a week, but since I have a phone and car charger, I can still use the internet. Even without the Switch, I managed to get through it. What didn't get through it was Splatoon 2. I was actually playing Splatoon 2 when the power went out. When I turned on the Switch right around this time to play Splatoon 2, a message popped up that scared the s*** out of me.

"Corrupted data was been detected."

I flipped my s***, and not in a good way. I was pissed. Luckily, reinstalling the game managed to fix it. When I turned on the game again, I was met with a tutorial screen. I was confused for a second, but then it hit me. ALL OF MY F****** DATA WAS GONE. Hundreds of hours, every single weapon, my 1000% in singleplayer, all of my Super Sea Snails, ALL OF WAS GONE.

I really don't what to do. Tell me what the new weapon is like, alrighty?
This is EXACTLY why Nintendo should have offered a backup save system immediately at launch, whether it was cloud based or just stuffing a 2nd copy on your Micro SD Card. What is the point of putting hundreds of hours into a game like Splatoon (or Breath of the Wild), getting all your gear, weapons and progress to a point you're satisfied with only for some hardware issue or other malfunction to happen that wipes everything back to the start. I'm not sure I'd bother getting back into the game if that happened, it takes ages to level up, even longer to get all the gear and weapons and a ridiculous amount of time to get pure/shiny gear (not to mention any gear snagged from SplatNet 2 gets lost permanently unless Nintendo resurfaces that at the right time). Nintendo being Nintendo and living like it's the 1990s at the expense of the consumer. For every good thing they do (including a bunch of last night's announcements) they end up doing something so inexplicably stupid, so mind boggling NINTENDO you wonder why you put up with the nonsense.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
I’m actually really happy with the neo sploosh! I’m a sploosh main, and I do agree that the vanilla version is pretty great, but I can see myself using both. I also main the Hero Dualies, and I always find the tenta missles really helpful. I’m interested to see how they work with the sploosh, I can see it working out really well, personally.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I play with the nzap 89 a lot and actually really like the tenta missles, especially now that you can swim with them activated. Of course their main function is pressure/forcing opponents to move when they might not have a safe place to move to, but the tracking feature is great too and I've found that if I can lock on to 3 or more opponents I can usually get 1-2 splats as well.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
So the neo sploosh looks to be a zoning weapon, using beacons, tenta missles, and it's great coverage potential to keep continous pressure on the enemy team while supporting your allies.

Unlike the vanilla sploosh which focuses more on flanking and rushing down enemies....but I feel that stingray would have been better just to differ it's kit from the octobrush variant....but again so far it looks like the squid research labs knows what they're doing.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
After a night of some of the biggest surprises splatoon has probably ever seen (Octoling DLC, Rank X, and 3 new maps) and old gear is coming back INCLUDING MY FAVORITE HEADGEAR.
upload_2018-3-9_12-41-43.png

I can finally look like a mass murderer again.

The only things I disliked about the news was the change of the initial kits from the datamine. (I mean why stingray on dualie squelchers? Ink armor would have made it so unique.) Clash Blaster with burst bomb is cool too, I don't have a problem with that. But I hope they change the kit again, since custom dualie squelchers just sound like a funky mode for the custom jet.

Now after all that awesome news yesterday, nintendo decides to ride the hype wave with . . . the sploosh-o-matic neo. hurray.
What's the kit? Beacons and tenta missles . . . we've already seen this on the octobrush . . .

And on top of that, the first kit is much better than this kit could ever hope to be. And the weapon wasn't extremely good to begin with. I would have loved to see something like the sploosh 7 kit from splat 1. Maybe something like splat bomb / inkjet could have been cool. But no, nintendo pretend like they don't know how the sploosh works and they give it an awful secondary kit.

Oh well, they can only keep feeding us bad weapons for so long. The good weapons are coming, 15 more weeks of weapon releases.

the

Inkling Commander
I wonder if completing all Octo Expansion levels with a certain weapon gets you a hero/octo/etc skin for the alt kit of it... I really hope so, I need my edgy-lookin octobrush nouveau and splatling deco

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I wonder if completing all Octo Expansion levels with a certain weapon gets you a hero/octo/etc skin for the alt kit of it... I really hope so, I need my edgy-lookin octobrush nouveau and splatling deco
It looked from the gameplay that you use the normal multiplayer skins for weapons during the Octo DLC.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
. . .I need my edgy-lookin octobrush. . .
But that's already an octo-weapon? xD
Unless you're implying. . . an octo-octobrush?!?

I jest
I know your sentiment, those red light color swaps of the hero weapons that enemy octolings got look sick!

Windstar

Pro Squid
Ansible: One of my great fears with this console. My heart goes out.

Windstar: Many thanks!

Ansible: Was the console plugged into a regular outlet when the power went out?

Windstar: Yeah, that was definitely why the data got corrupted.

Ansible: Do you have a flash card in the console?

Windstar: Unfortunately, no.

Ansible: Are your other games affected as well?

Windstar: Nope, just Splatoon 2. It HAD to be that one game, of course. I wouldn't be that bad if it was Axiom Verge or Mario Kart, but NO. It just had to be Splatoon 2

the

Inkling Commander
But that's already an octo-weapon? xD
Unless you're implying. . . an octo-octobrush?!?

I jest
I know your sentiment, those red light color swaps of the hero weapons that enemy octolings got look sick!
We need more.... we need

Octo^8 Brush

Windstar

Pro Squid
We need more.... we need

Octo^8 Brush
We need a 2018 Octobrush, where the brush is just the numbers 2018. The bristles come out of the eight while the handle is the number two. It comes with Ink Mine and Sting Ray.

Reactions: the

Maave

Inkling Commander
Total sidetrack - I'm enjoying the Carbon buff. It doesn't feel like a wiffle ball bat anymore. It has the right old Carbon + Dmg Up smacks. Still less than a Splat Roller, which it should be, but reliable now. I'm not getting the BS "I totally had him" failure-to-splat flicks from before.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
After a night of some of the biggest surprises splatoon has probably ever seen (Octoling DLC, Rank X, and 3 new maps) and old gear is coming back INCLUDING MY FAVORITE HEADGEAR.
View attachment 6195
I can finally look like a mass murderer again.

The only things I disliked about the news was the change of the initial kits from the datamine. (I mean why stingray on dualie squelchers? Ink armor would have made it so unique.) Clash Blaster with burst bomb is cool too, I don't have a problem with that. But I hope they change the kit again, since custom dualie squelchers just sound like a funky mode for the custom jet.

Now after all that awesome news yesterday, nintendo decides to ride the hype wave with . . . the sploosh-o-matic neo. hurray.
What's the kit? Beacons and tenta missles . . . we've already seen this on the octobrush . . .

And on top of that, the first kit is much better than this kit could ever hope to be. And the weapon wasn't extremely good to begin with. I would have loved to see something like the sploosh 7 kit from splat 1. Maybe something like splat bomb / inkjet could have been cool. But no, nintendo pretend like they don't know how the sploosh works and they give it an awful secondary kit.

Oh well, they can only keep feeding us bad weapons for so long. The good weapons are coming, 15 more weeks of weapon releases.
You just said exactly what my wife and I were saying this morning. Nintendo could have put out almost any other weapon, and hype would have been at an all time high with DLC, a new GOOD weapon and Splatfest, but they used moldy meat between DLC and Splatfest bread in this hype sandwich. Use the bad weapon next week after everyone is full on delicious hype sandwiches.

What Sendou brought up on Twitter is the threat that the custom range blaster won’t have burst bombs since they gave the clash those. That would be annoying, but maybe a worthwhile trade (if it’s so) just because clash needs burst canceling more than range blaster does.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
...Has the hype died down enough for me to be cynical again?

I don't really care about Smash for Switch (It'll probably end up being Brawl 3.0 unless Sakurai isn't involved) but the trailer was pretty cool. It kind of frustrated me, actually; the battle at the beginning of the trailer was obviously only a cinematic, but the fast pace is exactly the type of thing I'd want to see from Splatoon, and was kind of what I was hoping for from Splatoon 2 with Nintendo's half ***** esports reveal.

They're full on sprinting and doing slides and whatnot.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
...Has the hype died down enough for me to be cynical again?

I don't really care about Smash for Switch (It'll probably end up being Brawl 3.0 unless Sakurai isn't involved) but the trailer was pretty cool. It kind of frustrated me, actually; the battle at the beginning of the trailer was obviously only a cinematic, but the fast pace is exactly the type of thing I'd want to see from Splatoon, and was kind of what I was hoping for from Splatoon 2 with Nintendo's half ***** esports reveal.

They're full on sprinting and doing slides and whatnot.
I mean... Splatoon is one of the fastest paced shooters I’ve ever played. The only one that feels faster to me is Doom, and that’s only in single player. Multi kinds plays pretty slow.

A fighter is always going to be faster than a shooter, though. That’s just how it is.

Edit: I hope that doesn’t come off as me poo-pooing on you for being critical. There’s plenty to be critical about in this game — even from the recent announcements. I’m just not sure comparing a fighting game to a shooter is a fair comparison.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I mean... Splatoon is one of the fastest paced shooters I’ve ever played. The only one that feels faster to me is Doom
Quake and Unreal Tournament also come to mind. For a modern shooter though, yeah, Splatoon (particularly Splatoon 1) probably is one of the fastest. As much as I hate to say it, the futuristic CoD games were pretty fast paced (I actually liked them more than the other post MW CoD games, not that that means much), it's just that they were garbage for a slew of other reasons.

A fighter is always going to be faster than a shooter, though. That’s just how it is.
I'm not quite comparing a shooter game to a fighter, but a the gameplay of a shooter to a cinematic for a shooter. I suppose that's even more ridiculous though.

Edit: I hope that doesn’t come off as me poo-pooing on you for being critical.
You're not. I know I deserve it sometimes too; I complain about Splatoon 2 more than Dessgeega, Green Waffles, Award, and the rest of Squidboards combined.

There’s plenty to be critical about in this game — even from the recent announcements.
The announcements are great and all (barring having to pay $20), but they don't really address why this game frustrates and disappoints me to no end.

Disregarding the underwhelming story and lack of additions to the Splatoon lore, I thought Hero Mode was perfectly acceptable in the vanilla game, and may be the one area I put Splatoon 2 above the original. I'm actually more interested in the story than the levels themselves of the Octo Expansion, to be honest. I just want an explanation for how Marina, an Octoling, is not only in Inkopolis without anyone questioning her, but a pop star. I've actually always liked Pearl more, (even before the Treehouse dialog) because Marina just feels like blatant fanservice to me.

It's great that we're finally getting playable Octolings, but they were actually being gradually implemented behind the scenes in the first game to the point they became 99% functional. It just feels to me like we're finally getting something that has been arbitrarily held back from us since the first game, for whatever reason (likely because corporate higher ups figured out they could charge money for it and didn't want to release it on the sinking ship Wii U).

It's nice to see Callie back to some capacity, although I wish her (and Marie) weren't just confined to Octo Valley. I'm really hoping new dialog will be added during the levels to accommodate Callie, at least.

Rank X is honestly what I'm most interested in. My biggest complaint about Splatoon 2 (other than what I feel are the many negative core gameplay changes from Splatoon 1 that I feel make the game less competitive that I know Nintendo won't do anything about) is the broken ranked system that fails to weed out bad players and ultimately turns your rank into a second level. I don't think just adding another rank will salvage it (especially if you have to trudge all the way through S0-50), but I'm willing to see.

I think somebody said something about new music? (Unless they're just talking about the music for the new single player campaign.) Just give me back Splatoon 1's music, dammit! :mad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom