Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I wonder if they will ever release a Super-Scope type of weapon or more Gear based on Old-School gaming.
I could see this happening, what type of weapon class would it fall under though, do you think? EDIT: Ah wait, you said Bazooka in a earlier post. But that would make it a new weapon type then entirely, wouldn't it?

And maybe we could even have headgear based on the infamous Virtual Boy? I don't know how fresh that would look though...hahah.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Alright, time for my full reaction/impression from the Direct before I update the lists (and I'll try my best to do this in the order presented by the Direct)...

Music: LOVING the newest versions of Inkoming and Rip Entry, and most of the rest of it went along nicely with the presentation. Like I've said before, it's hard not to like Splatoon music, and the music played throughout the Direct was all pretty good to hear. But I would like to hear it during actual combat than simply in a video presentation, so that will most likely determine how much I enjoy each track.

Character Customization and the Galleria: First off, though just something simple, I liked the new spin animations the Inklings do to get into "position" while customizing the avatar. A small little touch, but something that was just fun to see. The Galleria looks to be just as good as Booyah Base in terms of functionality, but I kinda enjoyed Splatoon's shopkeeps over Splatoon 2's. This may just be because of how little we got on the new guys, but I'm sure I'll come to like them all the same in due time. It's also nice to see the others, like Crusty Sean, are still around, just doing new things. Thank goodness for Sheldon's "Hurry It Up!" button. I used to HATE going into his shop after gaining a few levels, not anymore! The new music (more remixes of "Lookin' Fresh") is pretty good too. Gonna miss the old, upbeat version for Shrimp Kicks though, but the shop being renamed "Shella Fresh" is just BRILLIANT on the designer's part!

Main Weapons: The new training/test area looks much better and we will probably get more use out of it this time around too. Weapon type introductions were short and to the point (and a little funny, "There's no arguing with a full bucket of ink to the face." No sir, there is not.), just as they should be. Get the main purpose of each weapon out there in a good enough fashion so you're not wasting veterans' time with stuff they already know, but also getting enough out there for the newcomers to know what's up with each class. Clash Blaster looks like it could be something I'll try (love how someone earlier referred to it as a "Crayola Gun", the barrel does look like crayons, lol) due to the increased fire rate. Flingza Roller has the potential to be as deadly as the Dynamo with it's extended range. Goo Tuber (again, what a great name!) will be popular with Snipers who want to keep their charge longer to try to get better with the Charger type (and may even become some veteran Chargers' new go-to). Dapple Dualies are going to get soooo much hate from those who can't get around (beat) the new Dodge Roll ability, but it's still a welcome addition and might be something I'll try out if I can roll with the new weapon type (ba-dum tsss).

Sub Weapons: Nothing much to say here. New Autobomb and Toxic Mist seem to serve their purpose well, can't wait to try them out. Also can't wait to see everyone try out that maneuver shown with the Burst Bomb, fail terribly, get splatted, and continue to try it until they get one kill with it and then give up on ever doing it again. Lol.

Specials: All the Specials we already knew about look interesting and fun. The two newly introduced ones also look super fresh. Love how Ink Armor gives the entire team, no matter where they are, the armor. Really similar to huddling next to the guy with the Bubbler, I imagine Ink Armor will be used when everyone's on the Tower in Tower Control and at a checkpoint so as to clear the checkpoint while also clearing the surrounding enemy team members. Baller (seriously, these names are AMAZING) looks to be good for getting around, but I wonder how well it takes attacks to it. Regardless, blowing someone up with it won't be any less fun than with a Splashdown. Could be used well in Ranked to push the objective.

Modes and Stages: Turf War and each of the Ranked modes seem to have minimal, if no change at all, which is fine. I like to see the different ranks for each Ranked mode, and as pointed out earlier, I'm pretty sure that 4th slot will become a future Ranked mode in the coming updates. A mixture of both excitement and worriment came when they showed how fast you can rank up, but I guess we'll all just have to adjust and hopefully it will be fair. Medals will be cool to try and get with a squad. Cool to see another new stage, Sturgeon Shipyard, and while not my favorite stage, it's nice to see the return of Port Mackerel, with the added sponges and rearranging of the crates from Splatoon's version. League Battle looks to operate like the Squad Battles from Splatoon.

Abilities and Murch: I don't really think much was added to what we already know about Murch, so I'll just say I'm probably going to appreciate his new ability to deal with gaining new abilities on my gear. Finally my gear will be both stylish and come with all the abilities I want. Speaking of, Thermal Ink is a neat idea, and can probably get people out of a jam if cornered to see where the opponent is going and how to get out of a tight spot. Object Shredder will help in tearing down those pesky Splash Walls, but will it work fast enough to save you as well? Respawn Punisher (if I'm interpreting it right) looks only to break even at best, but I'm probably missing something. Drop Roller is definitely something I'll want to have whenever I'm not using Stealth Jump.

Salmon Run: I'm perfectly fine with having Salmon Run only be available at certain times. Else it might keep people away from everything else Splatoon 2 has to offer. I can't wait to jump into it with the rest of my Squid Squad to have some fun, collect Power Eggs, and just generally have a good time. Also, is it just me, or are there a lot more Boss Salmonid than we first thought? Ah well, it'll be fun with the squad either way.

SplatNet 2: Wonder how many differences this will have as compared to other, similar services like Discord. I'm probably gonna hold back on this until I see how much it has to offer (also, I didn't really pay attention to this part, so if anyone wants to elaborate on it, feel free).

Amiibo, "Miiverse" Drawing Feature, Food, The Shoal: Amiibo functionality doesn't seem to have as much as it did last time, and I honestly don't feel that I'll be taking many pictures, but we'll see just how much use we all get out of it. The new Drawing Feature looks simply to be present to fulfill the needs of a lack of Miiverse, so everyone can still appreciate the art of the fan base. I like it, but I was unable to draw ANYTHING good on the Wii U's GamePad, so we'll see how well this works. Being able to gain more coins and experience by getting a bite to eat seems minimal, but I feel it will be worth it if the rewards are big enough (if it increases xp and coinage by more than we all think it might). And the Inkling's "Thank you" was a nice touch and funny. I'm having a hard time figuring out the differences between the Shoal and Private Battles (wasn't paying attention again) other than being able to set up Salmon Run stuff with friends, so if anyone wants to comment on that, I'd appreciate it.

Single Player: Did we get anything new from this? I don't think so but I'll still be enjoying every bit of the new storyline, and I look forward to seeing DJ Octavio's return in one way or another (he was confirmed to return, if you didn't know) and the possibility of facing off against, well, you know who. And with the addition of being able to use different weapon types, it should have more replayability than the first.

Updates and Splatfests: Splat Brella looks great, and killing someone with the Bubble Blower will be soooooo funny. Glad to hear we will be getting at least a year's worth of new stages, gear, weapons, and other updates to keep everything fresh. Two more year's worth of Splatfests will be awesome too, but I'd like it if they lasted longer than a day (somewhere from 2-5 days would be nice). I'm going to enjoy being able to do Splatfests with (and probably against, sometimes) my friends now too, that will be fun. Also, dang it I'm gonna miss the first Splatfest. But I'll still support you from the sidelines, Team Ice Cream! And finally...

Pearl and Marina: Nice to see a few more new faces added to the game! I look forward to seeing all the dialogue these two can provide, and I like the fact that they contrast each other in certain ways. Like how Pearl is up front about everything and rocking out, while Marina provides an air of shyness but also seems happy to be singing and doing the TV station thing. While their catchphrase isn't as catchy (cause it's longer), I think it still feels, well, like it belongs in a Splatoon game. Can't wait to see if the final Splatfest will be Pearl vs Marina or the Squid Sisters vs. Off The Hook.

GEEZ THAT WAS LOOOOONG! I want to point out that 5 alerts on this thread went by before I finished this. I'm gonna take a break before updating the lists, but they will be updated by day's end.

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Honestly if any old retro gear would be in the game it would HAVE to be F.L.U.D.D

Honestly, this weapon and it's subsequent game that inspires Splatoon while simultaneously leading Mario down the Dark path that is Mario+ Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
I made a threat about some Retro Abilities they could add in Splatoon 2.

Aside from the Retro trend, I do like what Splatoon does... it's not just a game where you see Squids or Kids... its world does appear very authentic, which gives out a deep experience that you will not see as easily in other games who look "kiddy".

Considering the fact there are adults playing this game, it would be so wrong to call it "a kiddy game" anyway...

With the sequel coming, I hope this trend will always be a synonym for this famous series.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Honestly if any old retro gear would be in the game it would HAVE to be F.L.U.D.D
As a fan of the Gamcube as a whole, I'd have to say yes. Make a weapon based off this, please?

(Although we almost have a special weapon inspired off it...)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Can't say I'm surprised that others, here and elsewhere, would take advantage of the Switch being region unlocked to participate in different regional Splatfests. Got nothing against it. Will probably do it myself.

In fact, it's a useful resolution on multiple levels: the community is international and Splatfests now allows you form squads, alts are siphoned away into other regions rather than flooding a single Splatfest in the user's home region, players can choose a Splatfest to play if they're "meh" about the home region selection, and a chance to lurk-mode the not-Miiverse postings in other regions—is there even a name for the new not-Miiverse?

As for retro game items... Super Scope Six? Maybe a sort of Charger x Blaster love-child. Virtual Boy? No longer damage up, so maybe tenacity...? Gamecube? Just throw it at them!

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
More interesting would be if they manage to create a Play Style which resembles an Old-School game... no, not just that Mario game.

I did a thread about it, for something looking very closely to Arcade style. However, Retro Gaming has many different sides of it... an interesting idea would be actually a mix in between Nintendo Accessory Weapons!

You get to use more weapons for a very Balanced approach! Each weapon is weak on its own, so you have to pick up the best one for the current situation!

I mean, Old-School Shooters let you use more than one weapon at the same time... it could be interesting!

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Alright, there's been some updates to the lists and I THINK I got everything, save for League Battles and The Shoal (debating whether to put them in Modes or General, where do you guys think they should go?). Feel free to look through them, and point out anything I missed. Thanks for sticking with me while I was unable to get them updated, everyone.

Once the game launches and we find out the small bits that we don't have yet, everyone can feel free to post them on here and tag me in them (but NO SINGLE PLAYER SPOILERS!!!) so I can add the final touches to the lists, minus updates of course, which will be added to the lists as they come out. It's hard to believe that we almost have our complete lists. Once they are done, this thread will remain open for general discussion about the game. :)

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It'd fit either, but I file League 'n' Shoal under modes, personally.

I want to 2nd that no story mode spoilers be posted.

Aaaaaaaaaand @SquidKid85 you FORGOT the new weapons; flingza roller, goo tuber and clash blaster!

Not to mention they have a TON of stuff crammed onto the splatnet2 app, going off memory...
-current splatnet1 functions (which friends are online, setting a splatting time, rotation, etc.)
-stats for your last 50 matches on record
-lifetime ink guage
-opponent gear info
-gear ordering through murch
-ordering gear, with a different main ability than what is available via in game shops, via Annie (& Moe =P)
-probably a couple other things I missed/forgot

I'm feeling less bad about paying for online come 2018, given this cram packed splatnett2 service, but I'm still feeling dis-heartened because I'm a bit of an entitled prick.

Last edited:

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
It'd fit either, but I file League 'n' Shoal under modes, personally.

I want to 2nd that no story mode spoilers be posted.

Aaaaaaaaaand @SquidKid85 you FORGOT the new weapons; flingza roller, goo tuber and clash blaster!

Not to mention they have a TON of stuff crammed onto the splatnet2 app, going off memory...
-current splatnet1 functions (which friends are online, setting a splatting time, rotation, etc.)
-stats for your last 50 matches on record
-lifetime ink guage
-opponent gear info
-gear ordering through murch
-ordering gear, with a different main ability than what is available via in game shops, via Annie (& Moe =P)
-probably a couple other things I missed/forgot

I'm feeling less bad about paying for online come 2018, given this cram packed splatnett2 service, but I'm still feeling dis-heartened because I'm a bit of an entitled prick.
The 4 new weapons (the 3 you mentioned and the Dapple Dualies) all fall under one of the weapon classes already on the list, because, geez if I were to put the names of every single weapon this game will have I might just be sitting at my computer a good 3 hours and I don't wanna have to do that.

Thanks for clearing up what SplatNet 2 offers, especially since I never even knew there was a SplatNet 1. Should be of some use to most all Squids and Kids.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Playing around with control settings in the Galleria and noticing a few more things. Like Crusty Sean playing the music to his old shop and the word "Ika" is part of the name to the video game next to the dance machine. I still can't tell if Pearl's tentacles move too because her blasted head won't stop bobbing about. It causes her two major tentacles to bounce around every time.

And those papers and books on the tables in the Galleria? Turn out to be maps. Not sure of what stages yet.

Last edited:

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
Playing around with control settings in the Galleria and noticing a few more things. Like Crusty Sean playing the music to his old shop and the work "Ika" is part of the name to the video game next to the dance machine. I still can't tell if Pearl's tentacles move too because her blasted head won't stop bobbing about. It causes her two major tentacles to bounce around every time.

And those papers and books on the tables in the Galleria? Turn out to be maps. Not sure of what stages yet.
Wait! Crusty Sean's music from Shrimp Kicks is still present?!?! YES! I KNEW THEY WOULDN'T LET GO OF THE BEST VERSION OF LOOKIN' FRESH! Seems I'll be visiting the food truck more often than I thought.

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Aaaah, I don't have a Switch yet... guess I'll pass the Splatfest...

Oh, can I write down a small rant for a sec?

Why the West Nintendo Switch Splatoon 2 Bundle doesn't have the Splatoon 2 JoyCons?! The Japanese Bundle has a Physical Copy, stickers and the Splatoon 2 Neon Colors for the JoyCons!

You said that I could buy it online... yeah, except they are all sold out immediately! Gah... guess I'll keep the whatever colors they give out and aim for the amiibos and the Pro Controller.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Some info on that new special:
"This is a new special weapon, "Ikasphere".
It is wrapped in a sphere that can prevent some damage, and can run around the battlefield in a row.
When the ZR button is pressed and held for a long time, ink accumulates inside and when it fills up it can explode on the spot.
Dive into the front line and disorder the opponent team."

Nothing new, but still interesting.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
"When you participate in the festival, you will receive "Super Sazae" with your fellows. If you give it to Spiky, it's a useful item that allows you to extend the gear slot and replace the gear power. However, at the eve of the evening, Super Sazae, Okane and Keikenchi are not available, you can not take over the save data to the product version. Sorry."
So splatfest rewards don't carry over to the full game this time. I was hoping that they would, but ah well. Let's not take this TOO seriously then :P

Fluddinator

Pro Squid
Uhm... I'm a bit unhappy and happy about this at the same time.

Unhappy because it would have been cool to get something extra from the SplatFest.
Happy because I can wait for the Splatoon 2 Bundle release without worrying to lose any exclusives (aside from the fact I will not play the very first Splatfest of the game).

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Found it! Sure others have mentioned it, but I wanted to locate Inkopolis Tower on my own last night.

And now there's quick a video by Snorth93 showing where both locations are in relation to one another (spoiler if you want to figure out on your):

Now it's just a matter of figuring out where the new tutorial area is located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom