• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the

Inkling Commander
So, do bombs still explode and insta-kill u upon contact with the brella, or do they differ from splash walls in that respect

Update: Do splash walls still do that in this game actually,

Last edited:

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Brella blocks all the bomb variants. It even eats opposing brella when someone shoots it at you lol. Blocking too much damage with the brella will cause it to break and you lose it for a few seconds. That only really happens when blocking 4+ hits of tenta missiles or shots from multiple opponents though.

It pretty much blocks anything except for slosher, sting ray, and occasionally blaster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

I don't know why I've been sleeping on the carbon roller. Out of all the weapons the carbon was the only weapon to give me a genuine adrenaline rush when I went to rush the enemy side. Heck it was pretty effective in the rush process too so that's a win win all around.

D

Deleted Member

So, do bombs still explode and insta-kill u upon contact with the brella, or do they differ from splash walls in that respect

Update: Do splash walls still do that in this game actually,
To answer the update, yes. I got splatted too many times with my charger in a frantic panic with the splash wall.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Brella blocks all the bomb variants. It even eats opposing brella when someone shoots it at you lol. Blocking too much damage with the brella will cause it to break and you lose it for a few seconds. That only really happens when blocking 4+ hits of tenta missiles or shots from multiple opponents though.

It pretty much blocks anything except for slosher, sting ray, and occasionally blaster.
I haven't played much today, and when I have, it hasn't been with my main love, the rapid blaster. I imagine it's pretty easy to shoot over top a brella (when its shield is out) with any blaster (except maybe clash/luna) and take it down with an indirect hit?

shudder

Senior Squid
The game seems half-baked in some ways. Matchmaking for example is seriously messed up right now in how it works and I hope it's fixed in an update. Getting 2 points for a win in league is just wtf. That would be bad enough but when it's followed by 3 other matches where 5 or 6 points are earned occur, enough is enough. At that point might as well not even have league mode and just revert it back to regular squads like the first game. I also really have no idea how the power level is even earned, it feels like it's all random and only the first 7 matches actually matter.

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Power Level seems to be a basic MMR or ELO System.

The theory of such a system is to match teams of comparable skill together. Say 1600 to 1600. One team will most likely be favored to win. If they do, then they'll gain a small amount of points. One team is favored to lose. If they lose, they'll lose a small amount of points. The opposite is true, if the favored team loses they lose quite a lot, and if the unfavored team wins they gain a lot.

Some ELO systems can factor in Streaks. The first 10 matches of the system are the most volatile, as the systems are designed to put you where you belong as quickly as they can, and ideally get you to a 50% win rate. Of course, if you're good or continue to improve you'll rise in the system, and if not you'll fall.

All of this is going to be a bit weak in Splatoon 2 though. We don't have the 3 million concurrent players that something like League of Legends has. So the game is going to find it harder to match you against the appropriate skill level. Region Locking makes this even harder still. The system works, I rarely get a deviation of Power greater than 200, and I gain a lot of points when I beat teams of higher power than mine. It's just a bit of luck to decide whose on what team and the Power Levels therein.

The real travesty with matchmaking is that it doesn't bother to read your weapon choices. Seeing the enemy team with 4 Aerosprays is a treat in most game modes. Having mine use quad dualies is not.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031

The theory of such a system is to match teams of comparable skill together. Say 1600 to 1600. One team will most likely be favored to win. If they do, then they'll gain a small amount of points. One team is favored to lose. If they lose, they'll lose a small amount of points. The opposite is true, if the favored team loses they lose quite a lot, and if the unfavored team wins they gain a lot.

Some ELO systems can factor in Streaks. The first 10 matches of the system are the most volatile, as the systems are designed to put you where you belong as quickly as they can, and ideally get you to a 50% win rate. Of course, if you're good or continue to improve you'll rise in the system, and if not you'll fall.

All of this is going to be a bit weak in Splatoon 2 though. We don't have the 3 million concurrent players that something like League of Legends has. So the game is going to find it harder to match you against the appropriate skill level. Region Locking makes this even harder still. The system works, I rarely get a deviation of Power greater than 200, and I gain a lot of points when I beat teams of higher power than mine. It's just a bit of luck to decide whose on what team and the Power Levels therein.

The real travesty with matchmaking is that it doesn't bother to read your weapon choices. Seeing the enemy team with 4 Aerosprays is a treat in most game modes. Having mine use quad dualies is not.
This is a really good explanation.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, I know, but I've faced league teams up to 300 points above and below my mmr. Beyond that nitpick, what you say makes total sense.

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much, I know, but I've faced league teams up to 300 points above and below my mmr. Beyond that nitpick, what you say makes total sense.
I did say "rarely" I have had deviations as high as 210 personally. The system is working, but it's imperfect.

shudder

Senior Squid
Yes it's far from perfect and needs to be improved upon, even with the regional matchmaking and smaller player base it feels off a lot. Getting 2 points for a match in a mode with over 2000+ points and then spending the next 20+ minutes winning 4 matches and getting a grand total of like 17 more points is just silly. Meanwhile, if me and my teammate were to lose any one of those matches it would drop probably 50+ points. We finished 7th in NA but looking at the players around us we barely played any of them, maybe a handful, lot of deviation in power levels. There was one match where the 8th placed twin played on our side and we played like a 1800 power level, I mean what.

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
You finished 7th NA and were only winning handful of points? Then I hate to tell you but the system is working exactly as intended. If you're not online at the same time as the other top 10, or they consistently dodge your queueu by being in game or or between lobbies then you're not going to fight them. You'll fight the hundreds of teams below that and you'll earn small points for consistently winning.

I'm not sure why a top 10 player would even complain about matchmaking awarding them less points for crushing scrubs all day.

shudder

Senior Squid
[QUOTE="Sabeta, post: 234295, member: 27761I'm not sure why a top 10 player would even complain about matchmaking awarding them less points for crushing scrubs all day.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I am complaining about and is my point, it's a waste of time and poor matchmaking. And I'm guessing it's not usually fun for lower power levels either. Play for 30 minutes of a 2 hour rotation based on points, win all those matches and get around 17 points is not good, not sure what is hard to understand here. I mean if this how it'll be in terms of matchmaking then might as well just play the first 7 matches that determine power level and quit.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@shudder
I understand your complaint, the effort you put into a game should feel like it has more value, but honestly it you want a better measure of your skill and feel like matches are more of a challege.
The best idea is for you to do a scrims instead of league for a time, you will gain more experience and feel genuine improvement.
Right now as mentioned earlier there is a really small pool of players in S+ and even less so who are pro players, so until that improves (likely either around squid storm or winter break) we just have to deal, and hopefully and patience and training will be rewarded

shudder

Senior Squid
@shudder
I understand your complaint, the effort you put into a game should feel like it has more value, but honestly it you want a better measure of your skill and feel like matches are more of a challege.
The best idea is for you to do a scrims instead of league for a time, you will gain more experience and feel genuine improvement.
Right now as mentioned earlier there is a really small pool of players in S+ and even less so who are pro players, so until that improves (likely either around squid storm or winter break) we just have to deal, and hopefully and patience and training will be rewarded
Yeah the lower pool of players due to the game being new and regional matchmaking is definitely a factor, although rank doesn't come into play in league, just power level. My contention though is besides those factors I really think Nintendo needs to update the actual matchmaking as teams repeat too often along with really mismatched power levels. This also occurred in Splatfest as well when I'm sure a lot of people were playing. I just hope we see an improvement whether it's solely because of the lower pool of player I guess we'll just see.

Sabeta

Inkster Jr.
You're complaining about something without considering why things are the way they are, and without offering alternative solutions. You are in the top 10 players. Your options are as follows

* Quick Matchmaking where you're likely to fight players beneath your skill, thus ranking slowly.
* Slow Matchmaking where you're only going to fight players at your skill, thus ranking slowly. (If at all)
* Quick Matchmaking where the MMR System is dropped for a set number of points per win. (Completely defeating the purpose of the Power System in the first place, while making luck an even bigger factor as teams who get instant victories will rise faster than players struggling against teams of equal skill)

People have been complaining about ELO since Rated Chess, which compared to the E-Sports scene is older than dirt. Nobody, not a single gaming company has found a better system. The closest anyone has gotten is League of Legends, which uses the system we already use for Solo Ranked. Because as it turns out the Solo Ranked system works better for representing an individual's skills (specifically, in a team environment); while MMR and ELO work better for Team skills.

I'm sorry you're so good at the game that you're effectively at the top. There's not much better you can do with the best matchmaking system around than sit at the top.

Point is, if you crush players beneath you I don't see why you should be awarded the same number of points as a player who beats someone above them. If all you care about is +7s and +20 wins, then sabotage your first 7 and climb with the rest of us.

shudder

Senior Squid
I don't have a problem with the point system, it's the actual matchmaking currently. Getting 2 points for a win just shouldn't be happening but it is due to bad matchmaking and I have serious doubts whether it's simply because of the amount of players seeing as the top 100 were all over 2000 and we didn't play very many of them at all. In a short 2 hour rotation that probably shouldn't be happening. If the game had better matchmaking, ie playing against teams closer to your power level, then it would actually feel like you're progressing whether it's up or down. Like losing or gaining 20 points, etc.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I did say "rarely" I have had deviations as high as 210 personally. The system is working, but it's imperfect.
To belatedly respond to this, it hasn't been "rare" for me. Wild jumps and drops in league power have been relatively frequent in my league experience. I'm kind of having the opposite experience of Shudder there.

shudder

Senior Squid
A little update, just finished 6th worldwide in quad and the matchmaking was better. It seems like it could just be low numbers for NA idk. Hopefully we get some more people playing it though. I do kind of miss playing against the Japanese. Lag is bad no matter where it's being played lol, bring them back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom