1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Squidboards now has its own Discord server!

Join us on Discord!

3. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

4. Hi Guest,

As of June 3rd you will no longer be able to log in to Squidboards using your Smashboards account. Please take a look at the announcement for additional details

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by SquidKid85, Jan 14, 2017.

?

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

Poll closed May 14, 2017.
  1. New Weapons

8 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. New Stages

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. New Specials

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. New Character Customization Options

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. New Modes

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  6. The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. EVERYTHING!!!

55 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Ansible

Ansible Squid Savior From the Future
    Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    An umbrella with sprinkler and ink storm. See that amiibo ninja outfit? Now that's how you work a theme!

Was expecting the bubble blower special, but this still works for me.

Though I'm sure there are some already complaining that the kit is terrible because it doesn't directly get their precious kills, (¬_¬) I'm really hoping this doesn't disappoint in what possibilities it can provide, like with area control and coverage for starters.

2. Award

Award Squid Savior From the Future

LOL...sort of ! It's what we designed more or less in terms of a stepped ladder. The Nintendo-ification of it is the "we won't tell you how many losses crack the glass so it's a total guess based on IDK Special Sauce" and the "for some random reason you skip ranks because WTF not". :p But other than that, the rest is what we designed. It's better. Really, it is!

OTOH the matchmaking is the exact same broken mess it always was, so in the low ranks you either win so big you could have stayed on spawn and still won or lose so big that 20+ splats on a regular basis is just not good enough when the team has 1 each otherwise. :p I played a C+ TC the other day where, I squid you not, one of my team mates spent the entire match inking the enemy ramps of Moray while my other 2 stayed near our spawn, so I kept rushing out to the tower. They were C-'s and total noobs, clearly, so I couldn't hate them but I couldn't not think "whyyyy??" I can't stomach too much solo ranked, I have no patience! I just play Salmon instead when it's up! First time around was all about getting the letter....this time, who cares, I'm just doing it to open leagues, and get all 3 up to the B- just because. XP Once I get my net sorted out and can play without disconnecting every 3rd patch, anyway! I'm still level 20 thanks to that....scoped eliter...someday you will be mine!

The ranked improvements, though, unpredictable as the random glass is, are STILL better than they used to be. We didn't do THAT bad a job, right?

I think they do the same in Arms. When I was playing Arms last month I'd see the same player or two almost every day since back in the Testpunch! I do wonder how much non-Japan play Splatoon gets though. Splatfest, I suppose would give better numbers on that. Shouldn't be so bad in the US. EU, though....clearly not nearly as many Switches have sold there yet!

Of course without reading Kanji, would we really notice if we got the same Japanese players over and over? :p I'm going to be running through a VPN...I should try picking a Japan server and seeing what my rosters look like.

That's probably the time I MOST enjoyed the first game was when it was new and TW was just a sort of carefree crazy game about inking stuff. I kind of started getting fed up with it when TW became competitive ranked training grounds, and at that point was playing friend battles almost entirely. I was hoping S2 would reintroduce that fun free TW period with noobs all around, but, alas it feels like the old competitive TW I knew. OTOH, wait for Christmas. Right now, who's bought a Switch? Mostly people that bought a WiiU and preordered. Mostly people that played S1 to death. So of course they carried it right over to S2. We'll get a dose of Christmas noobs and then we'll see if the game kind of relaxes a bit for a while!

(Condensed above)

#1922 Award, Aug 11, 2017
    Lasted edited by : Aug 11, 2017
    Dog King, Dessgeega and Hero of Lime like this.
  3. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    Yeah, hopefully when the holidays roll around and fresh players start showing up they won't get dragged down in the kill priority quagmire I'm seeing in other discussions elsewhere.

I don't always mind the competitiveness in turf war on occasion and ranked especially, but I'd like to encounter more ideas/play styles than the brute force, always confrontational mentality I'm amidst.

*chokes on tea*
    u wot m8 !?!

4. Award

Award Squid Savior From the Future

Is it really all that different from what TW was on S1 really? It was kind of casual from the start to about February or late January of its first year, and from then on, was this. I did hope it would reset with the new sequel and we'd get half a year again, but it seems like deathmatch mentality was inevitably going to be the natural result of the design. Especially once players unlock ranked and get used to it. Plus Salmon run enoucrages thinking that way. I MISS it being the old way, but when I think about it, the deathmatch is really the most logical play style overall. I mean they give you weapons. Doesn't take much to figure out what they're meant for :p (Except the aerospray....which somehow seems REALLY deadly this time...)

Dog King likes this.
  5. Saber

Saber Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Saber
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0369-4203-0233
    (Aka Describe splatoon 2 in 2 words)

This is one of the reasons I have been spamming ranked, it is a little problematic, but I'd rather be at S+ now with the stable connections than dealing with AFK, D/c, or the most dread of all awful people who just play meta (nightmares of an all tri slosher team....:eek::eek::eek:)

Also everyone is hyped for the splatbrella and I am just sitting over here waiting on my squiffer and squeezer (really need to rename that)

#1925 Saber, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Award likes this.
  6. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    True, but everyone deserves more than "I'm only inking a path to find someone to splat" or "you're in my aggro field, now I must stop whatever else I'm doing and go splat you" programming.

Maybe I just don't have the correct mindset to effectively play in this genre. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Danku, Saber and Dessgeega like this.
  7. Spaceswitchmars

Spaceswitchmars Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    No they don't. If anything, they need to rename everything else to live up to the brilliance that is the squeezer. o_O

Hero of Lime, Saber and Dessgeega like this.
  8. Lonely_Dolphin

Lonely_Dolphin Lord of the Squids

NNID:
    Einsam_Delphin
    Finally a brand new weapon aside from the Dualies! However I'm worried the Brella might have the same problem as the Baller where it breaks too easily. The Baller atleast has Special Power Up to give it more survivability, but there's nothing to increase the effectiveness of the Brella's shield. Also it'd be nice if it were see-through to make it easier for your team to shoot from behind it. This is why I wish it had point sensor (and that echolocator still existed), but eh!

Saber, Dessgeega and Spaceswitchmars like this.
  9. Saber

NNID:
    Saber
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0369-4203-0233
    @Lonely_Dolphin
    Thermal ink will probably be good for the Brella, along with ink efficentcy and ink resistance
    I am curious is it block only enemy fire or if it blocks friendly fire as well, cause that might lower it's effectiveness a but (or it could troll meta abusers)

Dessgeega likes this.
  10. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    If I wind up enjoying that weapon enough to main it, that's gonna make for some fun conversations.

"So, what do you like to do in Splatoon?" "Oh, I squelch and squeeze."

Dog King, VOCALOVER, Danku and 3 others like this.
  11. Spaceswitchmars

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    Sounds like a blast, tbh.

Dessgeega likes this.
  12. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    *groan* Told myself this morning that during lunch I should write up a single post with as many squeezer related puns as possible to collectively get it out of our system. I then told myself "no" because we're better than that! *sparkly optimism*

But sometimes life wants to squeeze out that optimism like toothpaste by proving me wrong one post at a time.

Danku, Spaceswitchmars and Dessgeega like this.
  13. Spaceswitchmars

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    I couldn't quite follow this post. Not to be a jerk, but your thoughts were a little splattershot. Try focusing them a little more because, honestly, I'm feeling bamboozled.

SquidKid85, Ansible and Dessgeega like this.
  14. ZEROrevive

ZEROrevive Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    ZEROrevive
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0412-8620-8627
    Guys, these puns...I Ink I cant let these just Brush by...

15. Torloth

Torloth Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Torloth
    Prepare for the Splatbrella-Pocolyps.

As someone who has been enjoying my Charger... This weapon both interests me and scares me. But I'm ready for a challenge. I like the kit a lot I think we will see it in Rainmaker a lot. Just calls to me as a good choice.

16. Dessgeega

Dessgeega Squid Savior From the Future

Switch Friend Code:
    SW-3756-0533-5215
    Depending on the durability, tower blocking may be a thing as well.

17. Spaceswitchmars

NNID:
    _funmars
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0556-1305-6031
    I'm sorry. I got a little charged up back there. I become a bit of a dynamo when I get excited, and that's when I start rolling through the puns.

18. Hero of Lime

Hero of Lime Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Link643
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-5339-5185-8796.
    I never thought of that possibility, and now, I need to try it. :eek:

Dessgeega likes this.
  19. Ansible

Community Ambassador

NNID:
    RocketRobin
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-8134-5728-9110
    It's almost like the forum version of solo queue...

Danku and Dessgeega like this.
  20. Saber

NNID:
    Saber
    Switch Friend Code:
    SW-0369-4203-0233
    For eel that was real e-liter of you how you squeezer all those into a sentence like that, but I have to warn you that the gals don't all approve and might just n-zap you if you keep this up

....I can do this all day

Yin_, SquidKid85, Ansible and 4 others like this.