• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
An umbrella with sprinkler and ink storm. See that amiibo ninja outfit? Now that's how you work a theme!

Was expecting the bubble blower special, but this still works for me.

Though I'm sure there are some already complaining that the kit is terrible because it doesn't directly get their precious kills, (¬_¬) I'm really hoping this doesn't disappoint in what possibilities it can provide, like with area control and coverage for starters.

Award

So this chaotic, imprecise, unintuitive mess is our fault? :p
Nah we Designed the matchmaking, then Nintendo stepped in and did....well Nintendo things and bam Splatoon 2 matches
LOL...sort of ! It's what we designed more or less in terms of a stepped ladder. The Nintendo-ification of it is the "we won't tell you how many losses crack the glass so it's a total guess based on IDK Special Sauce" and the "for some random reason you skip ranks because WTF not". :p But other than that, the rest is what we designed. It's better. Really, it is!

OTOH the matchmaking is the exact same broken mess it always was, so in the low ranks you either win so big you could have stayed on spawn and still won or lose so big that 20+ splats on a regular basis is just not good enough when the team has 1 each otherwise. :p I played a C+ TC the other day where, I squid you not, one of my team mates spent the entire match inking the enemy ramps of Moray while my other 2 stayed near our spawn, so I kept rushing out to the tower. They were C-'s and total noobs, clearly, so I couldn't hate them but I couldn't not think "whyyyy??" I can't stomach too much solo ranked, I have no patience! I just play Salmon instead when it's up! First time around was all about getting the letter....this time, who cares, I'm just doing it to open leagues, and get all 3 up to the B- just because. XP Once I get my net sorted out and can play without disconnecting every 3rd patch, anyway! I'm still level 20 thanks to that....scoped eliter...someday you will be mine!

The ranked improvements, though, unpredictable as the random glass is, are STILL better than they used to be. We didn't do THAT bad a job, right?

Personally, I'm not feeling a great fondness for the region preference matchmaking. And already I keep running into some of the same players while in the B ranks of every mode.

Goo Tuber... uh... shorter range than splat charger with an e-liter charge time... I don't even know... just... whuh?!

Once the bamboozlers and squiffers finally take the stage, they could become something of a terror. Mid-range quicktime chargers with stored charges and chargerolling? That's practically an anti-dualie.
I think they do the same in Arms. When I was playing Arms last month I'd see the same player or two almost every day since back in the Testpunch! I do wonder how much non-Japan play Splatoon gets though. Splatfest, I suppose would give better numbers on that. Shouldn't be so bad in the US. EU, though....clearly not nearly as many Switches have sold there yet!

Of course without reading Kanji, would we really notice if we got the same Japanese players over and over? :p I'm going to be running through a VPN...I should try picking a Japan server and seeing what my rosters look like.

My revelation with S+ that I detailed in the Salt thread has really taken the wind out of my sails at the moment for ranked. I'm facing a bit of an internal crisis where I wonder what kind of player I want to be in Splatoon 2. Do I buckle down and go full competitive, constantly practicing in ranked, or do I just be content with being a great, but overall casual player? I'm currently A+ in the other two modes, and I intend to climb up the ranks, but I wonder what will come after I feel like I can't go any higher.

I definitely sympathize with all the mixed feelings everyone is having with the game. At its core, Splatoon 2 is a blast to play that gives me so much joy. But then all the many issues and frustrations rear their ugly head, and I start to feel discouraged or annoyed with the game. At this point I am desperate for a balance update to get things running smoother, and I need new maps badly.

But I also think a lot of this has to do with how the player base is right now. Not only has the game incentivized more confrontation, but players are so bloodthirsty in turf. And you can tell new players have taken this new format as law, making everything about splatting first, inkling later. I know it's a lot to ask that people chill out and just have fun when playing as hard as you can to win is perfectly reasonable, but turf war took a long time to get super competitive and serious in the first game. I was hoping to wacky, casual, honeymoon period with this game would have lasted longer.
That's probably the time I MOST enjoyed the first game was when it was new and TW was just a sort of carefree crazy game about inking stuff. I kind of started getting fed up with it when TW became competitive ranked training grounds, and at that point was playing friend battles almost entirely. I was hoping S2 would reintroduce that fun free TW period with noobs all around, but, alas it feels like the old competitive TW I knew. OTOH, wait for Christmas. Right now, who's bought a Switch? Mostly people that bought a WiiU and preordered. Mostly people that played S1 to death. So of course they carried it right over to S2. We'll get a dose of Christmas noobs and then we'll see if the game kind of relaxes a bit for a while!

(Condensed above)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yeah, hopefully when the holidays roll around and fresh players start showing up they won't get dragged down in the kill priority quagmire I'm seeing in other discussions elsewhere.

I don't always mind the competitiveness in turf war on occasion and ranked especially, but I'd like to encounter more ideas/play styles than the brute force, always confrontational mentality I'm amidst.

(Condensed above)
*chokes on tea*
u wot m8 !?!

Award

Yeah, hopefully when the holidays roll around and fresh players start showing up they won't get dragged down in the kill priority quagmire I'm seeing in other discussions elsewhere.

I don't always mind the competitiveness in turf war on occasion and ranked especially, but I'd like to encounter more ideas/play styles than the brute force, always confrontational mentality I'm amidst.

*chokes on tea*
u wot m8 !?!

Is it really all that different from what TW was on S1 really? It was kind of casual from the start to about February or late January of its first year, and from then on, was this. I did hope it would reset with the new sequel and we'd get half a year again, but it seems like deathmatch mentality was inevitably going to be the natural result of the design. Especially once players unlock ranked and get used to it. Plus Salmon run enoucrages thinking that way. I MISS it being the old way, but when I think about it, the deathmatch is really the most logical play style overall. I mean they give you weapons. Doesn't take much to figure out what they're meant for :P (Except the aerospray....which somehow seems REALLY deadly this time...)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
(Condensed above)
(Aka Describe splatoon 2 in 2 words)

This is one of the reasons I have been spamming ranked, it is a little problematic, but I'd rather be at S+ now with the stable connections than dealing with AFK, D/c, or the most dread of all awful people who just play meta (nightmares of an all tri slosher team....:scared::scared::scared:)

Also everyone is hyped for the splatbrella and I am just sitting over here waiting on my squiffer and squeezer (really need to rename that)

Last edited:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I mean they give you weapons. Doesn't take much to figure out what they're meant for :p
True, but everyone deserves more than "I'm only inking a path to find someone to splat" or "you're in my aggro field, now I must stop whatever else I'm doing and go splat you" programming.

Maybe I just don't have the correct mindset to effectively play in this genre. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Finally a brand new weapon aside from the Dualies! However I'm worried the Brella might have the same problem as the Baller where it breaks too easily. The Baller atleast has Special Power Up to give it more survivability, but there's nothing to increase the effectiveness of the Brella's shield. Also it'd be nice if it were see-through to make it easier for your team to shoot from behind it. This is why I wish it had point sensor (and that echolocator still existed), but eh!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Lonely_Dolphin
Thermal ink will probably be good for the Brella, along with ink efficentcy and ink resistance
I am curious is it block only enemy fire or if it blocks friendly fire as well, cause that might lower it's effectiveness a but (or it could troll meta abusers)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No they don't. If anything, they need to rename everything else to live up to the brilliance that is the squeezer. o_O
If I wind up enjoying that weapon enough to main it, that's gonna make for some fun conversations.

"So, what do you like to do in Splatoon?" "Oh, I squelch and squeeze."

Ansible

Community Ambassador
"So, what do you like to do in Splatoon?" "Oh, I squelch and squeeze."
*groan* Told myself this morning that during lunch I should write up a single post with as many squeezer related puns as possible to collectively get it out of our system. I then told myself "no" because we're better than that! *sparkly optimism*

But sometimes life wants to squeeze out that optimism like toothpaste by proving me wrong one post at a time.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
*groan* Told myself this morning that during lunch I should write up a single post with as many squeezer related puns as possible to collectively get it out of our system. I then told myself "no" because we're better than that! *sparkly optimism*

But sometimes life wants to squeeze out that optimism like toothpaste by proving me wrong one post at a time.
I couldn't quite follow this post. Not to be a jerk, but your thoughts were a little splattershot. Try focusing them a little more because, honestly, I'm feeling bamboozled.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
Prepare for the Splatbrella-Pocolyps.

As someone who has been enjoying my Charger... This weapon both interests me and scares me. But I'm ready for a challenge. I like the kit a lot I think we will see it in Rainmaker a lot. Just calls to me as a good choice.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Prepare for the Splatbrella-Pocolyps.

As someone who has been enjoying my Charger... This weapon both interests me and scares me. But I'm ready for a challenge. I like the kit a lot I think we will see it in Rainmaker a lot. Just calls to me as a good choice.
Depending on the durability, tower blocking may be a thing as well.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I couldn't quite follow this post. Not to be a jerk, but your thoughts were a little splattershot. Try focusing them a little more because, honestly, I'm feeling bamboozled.
Guys, these puns...I Ink I cant let these just Brush by...
I'm sorry. I got a little charged up back there. I become a bit of a dynamo when I get excited, and that's when I start rolling through the puns.
It's almost like the forum version of solo queue...

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I'm sorry. I got a little charged up back there. I become a bit of a dynamo when I get excited, and that's when I start rolling through the puns.
For eel that was real e-liter of you how you squeezer all those into a sentence like that, but I have to warn you that the gals don't all approve and might just n-zap you if you keep this up

....I can do this all day

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom