Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Like if Nintendo is worried about splitting the playerbase or something it just sucks.. From the looks of it I wouldn't mind just playing this mode for sessions it looks really enjoyable and challenging. I doubt the mode would split the userbase so drastically that it takes long for matchups or something. Plus this mode had people perched but with the timed news has actually lost interest in the whole game.

The only condition where it'd be acceptable is if you can do private online matches with friends. Why is nintendo online so complicated :'(
Here's the thing. Most people who cared that much about Salmon Run specifically stated that it was the sole reason they were going to buy Splatoon 2. As such these people would have little to no impact on the overall player population at launch and the coming months, as they would stick solely to Salmon Run and be bored of it in the space of a week or 2. I feel that those kinds of players would be completely and utterly wasting their money on the game anyway, as a 3 wave and done PvE is extremely short, not to mention repetitive (granted harder levels use different boss salmonids and there are special variants like the Salmon Rush event). If you aren't buying the game for the Single Player, or more crucially, the Multiplayer, then clearly the game is not for you and spending £50/€50/$60 is like burning money.

That's on the same level as buying Mario Kart and only playing Battle Mode, you buy the game with all this content and ignore it for the ONE thing you care about (in this case Salmon Run). These players will be the ones who would complain about having to reach Level 4 in multiplayer to access the only thing they care for in this game, and would complain some more about the lack of length in a single Salmon Run match (about 6-7mins with the preparation for wave timer and the 100 seconds a round limit). In a way I'm thankful these people have been put off from buying the game, as it saves us from hearing their complaints and whinging, whilst allowing the people who bought the game for the main meat (Turf War, Ranked, Splatfests, Competitive and Single Player) to just get on and do their own thing.

Nintendo is well within their rights to prevent the player base from splitting everywhere. Look at how badly the Wii U sold, if Splatoon only got a few hundred thousand sales and you could search specific game modes, the player base would be completely dead in some areas, but full of life in others. Mario Kart 8 is the best example of this, and it got worse with DLC. Suddenly you could search 50cc WWs, 100cc, 150cc, Mirror, 200cc, different item strengths, what DLC packs to play, and the whole community just died out. Yes that's an extreme example, but Splatoon 2 could quite easily have gone the same way. Allowing you to search Splat Zones, Tower, Rainmaker, Squads of any ranked mode, Turf, Private Battles, Salmon Run, would fragment the player base so much the game would die out quicker. It's a sensible way of keeping the player base larger as for the most part you have a 25/25/25/25 choice (Privates, Turf, Ranked, Squads), and if Salmon Run is event based (which would suck, but there it is) it would just replace another mode, or be densely populated when it's on as everyone flocks to play it for gear.

We still have no definitive answer on whether it is timed online or has the "always available at Level 4" response. Either way those players who want the game for Salmon Run will still be insignificant on the online population, and if they want to waste their money like that let them, if they don't, who cares? We don't need those sorts of players anyway, as we won't see them on Turf or Ranked. This message is longer than I planned, but I just had to say that people who won't buy it because Salmon Run may not always be available online is a non-issue :P

Maave

Inkling Commander
I wasn't enthused with any of the Splatoon 1 clothing. The 8 Bit Fishfry would be better if the Firefin logo didn't look like a flaming poop

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Ceresbane
Link, Wolf Link, Anniversary Link, Toon Link, Archer Link, Horse Link, Hyper Link (:p)
Though despite the silliness I am curious which amiibo will be included in this game, cause honestly we have got quite a few, and most of which are some form of our green capped friend.
Also here's hoping some amiibo give signature paint forms of our favorite tools and weapons (inkball (fireflower), inkbrush master sword, Kiby's ink hammer dynamo, and luigi's ink vacuum)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Those prices! Ouch! And as Torloth pointed out, those sizes can be quite tight, especially in certain areas. Good or bad depending on how you roll. ;)

If I wasn't plagued by 1-part laziness, 1-part overwork, and 2-parts burnout I'd look into modding my own Splatoon clothes. Heck, I still desire to make a super sea snail coin purse or bag someday!

@Cyan, Interesting insight. Haven't thought about it that way, that mode & map rotations and time events forestalls the community from drifting into multiple separate minor cliques (as opposed to the like 3~5ish major cliques we currently have?).

tollock

Inkster Jr.
Those T-Shirts are looking pretty fresh. I think I'd actually wear the black one regularly (the Uniqlo one is a bit too obviously "Splatoon" imo). The prices though ... maybe I would buy one if I was in Japan and had some money to spare, but there's no way I'll import them.

Also I don't know if it was already confirmed or not, but the Beakons being on the can badges pretty much means they'll be back as a sub weapon in Splatoon 2.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Also I don't know if it was already confirmed or not, but the Beakons being on the can badges pretty much means they'll be back as a sub weapon in Splatoon 2.
yeah it was confirmed a little before the splatoon invitational.

Edit: ey 666 likes. nice.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
And I am going to spruce on that purple inkling boy as my digs...Purple is my toxicity.

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
Wired Pro Controller support this is massive for tournaments, I they were totally using this at E3.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I probably should have posted the changes earlier. Definitely some useful fixes for when were ready to roll out in this game:

Improvements Included in Version 3.0.0
Added the following system functionality

• Register a channel to receive News for specific games
  • Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
    • To add friends, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Friend Suggestions
  • Receive notifications when your Friends go online
    • To turn this ON/OFF, head to System Settings > Notifications > Friend Notifications
  • Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature
  • Change the user icon order on the Home Menu
    • To change order, head to System Settings > Users > Change Order
  • Select from 6 new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon
    • To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
  • Change the system volume from the Quick Settings
  • Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack
    • To lower the max headphone volume, head to System Settings > System > Lower Max Headphone Volume
      * This settings will be ON when Parental Controls are enabled
  • Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
    • To use this feature, head to System Settings > System > Change Display Colors
  • Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable
    • To enable, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Pro Controller Wired Communication
      * The NFC touchpoint on the Pro Controller will be disabled while the controller is using wired communication.
  • Update connected controllers
  • Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data if there is insufficient space when downloading other software
    • To use this feature, head to System Settings > Data Management > Quick Archive
      * User save data is not deleted
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:

• Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting
  • Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
  • To add friends, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Friend Suggestions
Now this is very useful! Especially since I'm updating my friend list spreadsheet (who wants to be added to my list?).

It appears it also pulls people from your mobile friend list too, like Miitomo and such.

Hey~ ♪( ・ェ・)ツ彡I'm an EDIT:

Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
  • To use this feature, head to System Settings > System > Change Display Colors
Until I did it, I didn't realize that that Inverted or Grayscale colors carry over into your game! *hijinks ensue*

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
New tweet for this morning:
Google Translate:
A well-established shoe manufacturer "Klageth".
It also develops natural and basic wear that makes use of its brand.
Canvas material shoes have long been unchanging designs, loved by many squids over generations, and those manufactured in old age are popular among collectors as vintage.

Is that a new sukajan jacket I see? Nice.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Sukajans are my favorite jackets...War inspired, and holds merit of artwork. I am glad they brought them back with new designs. I love this stuff!

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Those are the…
Are the…
The…
Cream basics. A.k.a. Stealth Jump shoes.

EVERYBODY HIDE
Not really, I mean based on the E3 Build they just changed the abilities of gear that had old ones that were no longer in the game. Damage Up gear was given Ink Saver Sub, Defence gear was given Bomb Defence Up, Bomb Range Up gear got Sub Power Up etc.

Also those are the Cream Hi-Tops, and they had Stealth Jump in 1, Cream Basics had Special Saver and you started out with those :P

On topic of those clothes from Krak-On, I love that new bowling bowl shirt, it even has the Octo-bowlers on the back, now I just hope it has a good main ability that I'll use for that plus Swim Speed. Some nice new pieces came from this, and based on the new things we have been given so far I can't wait to see the full line up.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Magic8Ball
Don't Worry :shoes_sht008: were already announced before hand which were also stealth jump (which I do believe was changed from the original), but it seems with the nerf to QR, salt jumping will most likely die
Though if stealth jump does come back my main fear is to see this become meta in place of it
:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_stealthjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:

Ansible

Community Ambassador
A part of me wants to roar "NEEERRDS!!" but then I remember I laughed a good minute when a confused friend shown me the Mario Kart drawing of the Inklings arguing with Mario because their bomb range gear wasn't working.

Don't jude meh! ¬¬;

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom