Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
*tries not to get too excited*

Plugged my drawing/graphics tablet into the Switch! ...No cursor or other response occurs on screen. BUT my tablet powers on and registers contact!

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Hey everyone. Japan has a completely different First Splatfest.
And A separate download...
Their theme is Rock vs Pop (Tower records promotion)
It is also the 15th in Japan... But from 5-9pm or 4am-7am ET
View attachment 5075

As for the new Catch phrase...
Feels pretty forced. Going to check the Japanese 「ぬりたくーる…テンタクル!!」if I understand what I read and looked up right "I want to paint with tentacles" they are called "Hime" (Pearl) and "Iida" (Marina) in Japanese and there band is named the "Tentacles"「テンタクルズ」

Note: I'm no where near able to read Japanese 100%.
Does this mean we could play two different sessions?

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I will say, I do love how the tutorial area and Inkopolis Square are designed much more than Splatoon 1's counterparts. They feel very natural, they don't feel artificially designed, they feel like they could be real places you would find yourself in.

Inkopolis Plaza was very closed off and kind of unnatural by design.
Splatoon 1's tutorial area was kind of awkward in design. You start on a random ramp leading into some random halls to a random skate park, so on.

However with Splatoon 2, Inkopolis Square, looks like an actually shopping center, the boundaries aren't walled off but fenced off for construction, other areas look like they lead to a parking lot of sorts. Things really feel like they have place.
With the tutorial, this is what I really love, you aren't going through a place that seems specifically designed for the tutorial, you're going through a place which looks and feels like a real back alley next to a construction site in town. You even find yourself in a semi-large open area which looks like the early parts of a construction project. Gates and fences don't look out of place, you go through an underpass, the area really feels like it is part of something much bigger and you're just a kid running through it. It really makes you feel like you're traveling through the backstreets of Inkopolis. It all feels natural and realistic.

Coleo&Idea

Inkling Cadet
I'm looking forward to try out as many weapons as possible during the testfire-splatfest. And the friend-team feature looks nice, I wonder if we are able to try it out already.

Team Cake btw. I love baking cake <3 And eating it.

I saw this on tumblr and i cried
Pretty weird that they love Octolings but despite a half Octoling. (That's a theory because Perla and Marina both have only two teeth, while Inklings all have 3 teeth)

Just letting eveyone know that the free download for the Splatfest World Premiere Testfire is now available to download. I'm downloading it as we speak.
Oh, two hours ago there wasn't a downloadable demo in my eshop (europe) but it will come later this day.

How are we feeling about "Don`t get cooked....Stay off the Hook!"?
Sounds kind of funny I guess? In my version they say "You are cool... we are TentaCool!"
'Off the hook' is their name in englisch and russian version as far as I know. The rest has TentaCool.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Was mucking around this morning...I am sure @ZEROrevive is going to do some himself later, but here we goooooo....

DEHw5OIV0AEF4Rg.jpg DEHzCjmUMAAk3yO.jpg DEH0x3CVwAAvw5V.jpg DEH1CW5VoAEAwo4.jpg

So far you can't access the turf or anything, and get insulted by the store owners. How dare they, do they realize my squids of caliber? I should be initiating kill list. (Just kidding.)

The hub is slightly bigger, and more stuff to look at. I was mostly playing this on handheld, and would mess around more on the tv later...Anyway, got to do my morning jog, but I hope this serves some curiosity. Also the art post...I would have to obtain some sort of tablet pen that is gentle against the screen.

(Edit: Can't do turf battles yet till the splatfest.)

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I will say, I do love how the tutorial area and Inkopolis Square are designed much more than Splatoon 1's counterparts. They feel very natural, they don't feel artificially designed, they feel like they could be real places you would find yourself in.

Inkopolis Plaza was very closed off and kind of unnatural by design.
Splatoon 1's tutorial area was kind of awkward in design. You start on a random ramp leading into some random halls to a random skate park, so on.

However with Splatoon 2, Inkopolis Square, looks like an actually shopping center, the boundaries aren't walled off but fenced off for construction, other areas look like they lead to a parking lot of sorts. Things really feel like they have place.
With the tutorial, this is what I really love, you aren't going through a place that seems specifically designed for the tutorial, you're going through a place which looks and feels like a real back alley next to a construction site in town. You even find yourself in a semi-large open area which looks like the early parts of a construction project. Gates and fences don't look out of place, you go through an underpass, the area really feels like it is part of something much bigger and you're just a kid running through it. It really makes you feel like you're traveling through the backstreets of Inkopolis. It all feels natural and realistic.
I love this. That was one small gripe I had with Inkopolis Plaza- that it didnt feel natural at all with how small and walled in it was. Even the tutorial area as you said is a bit out of place somewhat.

Now your in the big city, the metal jungle as they say. So they don't have to do alot to make walled in places actually look natural. I can appreciate the details theyre doing with Inkopolis Square...it's great!
Was mucking around this morning...I am sure @ZEROrevive is going to do some himself later, but here we goooooo....

View attachment 5085 View attachment 5086 View attachment 5087 View attachment 5088

So far you can't access the turf or anything, and get insulted by the store owners. How dare they, do they realize my squids of caliber? I should be initiating kill list. (Just kidding.)

The hub is slightly bigger, and more stuff to look at. I was mostly playing this on handheld, and would mess around more on the tv later...Anyway, got to do my morning jog, but I hope this serves some curiosity. Also the art post...I would have to obtain some sort of tablet pen that is gentle against the screen.

(Edit: Can't do turf battles yet till the splatfest.)
Your teasing me, you really are. I'm suprised they let even let you venture on some parts of the city though!

I see the super sea snails icon. I wonder if we can carry what we win over to the main game? Wouldn't be the first nintendo game 'demo' to do similar.

And I would assume that any old DS/3ds/Wii U stylus would work on that handheld modes touchscreen...right? Worth a shot. If not, I got a soft touchscreen pen lying around somewhere....

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I dont have the time to make the full post with a translation, but can someone please do the honors with this?
Theres more tweets in response to that one as well. Looks VERY interesting.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is "Icarling 2". It's a convenient service that allows you to view various information on "Splatoon 2" on your smartphone, including your ranking, Udemae, recent battle results and future stage information. You can use it by downloading the Nintendo Switch Online application.
"Geesotown" built in Ikarin 2. It is an online shop that "Anemo" who was doing a clerk at Atama and Hikarashita independently made it. You can receive the gear you order here from Spyky for cash on delivery. I'd rather worry because I will pay with money in the game, not genuine money.
Gears available at Geesotown are the same as ordinary ones, but the basic gear power attached is different. As the selection changes over time, Ika who wants to stick to fashion and gear power regularly checks. Because Geesotown's gear is not for sale, orders are also possible if squid in the square is wearing.

Not awake enough for commentary, enjoy.
Edit: Caffeine was had. There was also a tweet that amiibo aren't usable during splatfests, which is good to know but not all that surprising.

Well, people got their wish of changing main abilities on gear. I've argued against that concept but I'll gladly eat crow here. Still, the wording here makes it sound like acquiring gear with different mains requires random chance or ordering from other players, which might get annoying.

Last edited:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
UK commercial: HEY SUPA CASUALS IN YOUR OFFICE CUBICLE, ARE YOU READY FOR HARDCORE GAMING? SPLATOON WILL MAKE YOUR PANTS SOAK IN INK AND MAKE YOU THINK TWICE OF WEARING ULTRA FANCY CLOTHES, YOU UNFRESH WIENIES.

Japanese commercial: ああああああああああああああああああぁ!

American commercial: Deep down in the darkest, and dankest area of a city with an unknown name. Illegal business flourishes where you battle your opponents that seem trapped from a 80s sitcom. (God the commercial was kinda boring, holy cow.)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So what's this with changing main ability on clothes?! RIP ever having any chance to keep track of who has what abilities!

And what's with Pearl giving the stinkeye after it cuts from Marie in the third Japanese commercial? It makes her come off as a villain.

Almost feel sorry for the dudes in the first Japanese commercial and UK commercial getting the splat bomb surprise... ok, no I'm not because I totally do that to others all the time. =p

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Something really interesting that was pointed out on Reddit is that Marie's Parasol could be a weapon in the same way that Cap'n Cuttlefish's cane was a weapon. This comes from the Splat Brella being revealed and coming out after release like the bamboozler was. Now her parasol isn't as intricate as the splat brella, but neither was Cuttlefish's cane. I hope we get a splat brella with a kind of classic east asian style. I'd love to use it wearing samurai armor or the traditional japanese gear that's part of famitsu.

tollock

Inkster Jr.
Well, people got their wish of changing main abilities on gear. I've argued against that concept but I'll gladly eat crow here. Still, the wording here makes it sound like acquiring gear with different mains requires random chance or ordering from other players, which might get annoying.
I think it'll mainly be a cosmetic thing. If you really want a certain main ability on your gear but don't like how the respective piece of gear looks, you can get a fresher looking one from Annie. Considering how they're pushing the E-Sports angle for Splatoon, it'd be pretty dumb if there was an essential piece of gear you couldn't get by playing regularly.

Limited time periods are a bit worrying though. Maybe you can still order Annie's "custom" gear when you spot another squid wearing it in the Square, even when it's currently not being offered?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Something really interesting that was pointed out on Reddit is that Marie's Parasol could be a weapon in the same way that Cap'n Cuttlefish's cane was a weapon. This comes from the Splat Brella being revealed and coming out after release like the bamboozler was. Now her parasol isn't as intricate as the splat brella, but neither was Cuttlefish's cane. I hope we get a splat brella with a kind of classic east asian style. I'd love to use it wearing samurai armor or the traditional japanese gear that's part of famitsu.
Was wondering about that too and hoping that it'll be a Splat Brella MKII thing, like how Cuttlefish's Bamboozler became the MKIII.

Wonder what Marie's theoretical Splat Brella MKII have for a sub and special.

Though she seems to be more of a charger type... so maybe a different Splat Brella series all together with further range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom