• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Sadly no kilts for the boys. Just some shorts with tights underneath instead. Ho hum. At least we can still change our inkling's entire appearance whenever we want.

Overall it took me quite a while to go through the demo... because I was goofing around and sightseeing the entire time. Spent maybe at least a good hour in the tutorial area alone. Especially in case Sheldon doesn't open the firing range until Splatfest starts. Also took way too many snapshots like some silly tourist! And because of @Leronne I've been trying to get some general location where the tutorial area and new square are located in relation to areas in OG Splatoon. In fact, before getting on the superjump pad you can faintly hear the music used in Inkopolis Plaza.

Meanwhile, playing with separate joycons will take some getting use to. Especially since only one hand does all the motion control work and I've gotten use to the ARMS motion control schema. However the controls allow me to ignore the right stick, if I choose, and easily just use my wrist to guide myself or perform a 360° panoramic sweep while moving in a given direction even on low settings.

Elsewhere, I'm really liking the upgraded look of the ink and trying to figure out if there are any changes in swimming. Seems we can still perform all the normal and "trick" moves like splat dashing/raijin stepping just as easily. And the audio still becomes muffled/lowered when you're in ink. I think there may be a slight speed up if you move in the same direction long enough. And that momentum and carry you further through enemy ink before grinding to a halt. Enemy ink also feels a little heavier? Could be my imagination, but wall swimming seems a bit smoother, especially when going around or into corners?

Anyone else notice any swimming changes?

And what's up with the two targeting reticles, the grey one and the highlighted one?

As for Splatfest... as much as I like ice cream, I think I like cake just a little more—though neither as much as pie! But for now, I guess I'm going Team Cake, babies! And I have no regrets over my choice! None whatsoev—

...... well, &@%#!!!

Last edited:

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
When I was testing wall swimming, tapping the jump button to climb the wall faster seemed to work much more fluid than the first game. Also seemed like there was a more obvious indicator of you swimming faster up the wall via more visible ink rippling. I dont remember as much of a obvious visual cue in the first game, which made distinguishing between normal wall swimming and faster wall swimming via jump button more confusing. Both looked the same or nearly the same in the first game as far as I remember.

Because of you making a more obvious ink ripple when tapping the jump button while swimming up walls, I think it's going to make it easier for players to notice when a enemy squid is climbing up their turf (moray towers, anyone?).

I wonder if ninja squid will hide the ripple effect when swimming up walls this time around....or at least minimize it when speed swimming.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
And what's up with the two targeting reticles, the grey one and the highlighted one?
This has been present since the first demo builds in January. For some bizarre reason the devs have decided to have the same reticle as 1, but make the highlighted one jump about the screen whenever your shots will hit an object in the way of the aiming reticle's position. I believe Splatoon 1 just lowers the whole reticle when shots will hit walls/trees/Tower etc.

It's an annoying and bizarre change, as the highlighted crosshair is what most people use for aim adjustments, so having it jump about to obstacles in firefights will cause ridiculous aim corrections where you over compensate and miss all your shots (at least in the first few weeks). You can pin the blame entirely on the Dualies, as they have 2 reticles and you see them fly all over the place in matches, and that must have prompted the change for the reticle, although why they couldn't have just done it for the Dualies and left Shooters alone I'll never know.

In other news it looks like datamining of the Splatfest demo has begun, and music rips have started cropping up on YouTube. BrawlBRSTMs3 has 5 VS songs, Splatfest VS, Splatfest Plaza, Win, Loss, Player Select, News, Matchmaking and both Now or Never! versions uploaded and extended to 30mins (the YT channel is tied to the site for custom music hacks for Wii, Wii U and 3DS games, hence the long music extensions :P). Not keen on Splatfest Now or Never, but the other 2 songs (VS was teased on JP Twitter) are way better than the Squid Sister songs imo. You can check them out if you want, they may be pulled offline if Ninty desires (since it's music from unreleased games on channels without permission).

Torloth

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Torloth
As for Splatfest... as much as I like ice cream, I think I like cake just a little more—though neither as much as pie! But for now, I guess I'm going Team Cake, babies! And I have no regrets over my choice! None whatsoev—

...... well, &@%#!!!
See you on splaterfield.... "Friend" *laughter*

But Don worry I'm on "Team pop" because my girlfriend is on it in Japan (still Marina /イイダ)

DynamoCamostar34

Full Squid
NNID
Rhythmkoopa34
Is Marina an Octoling? Or is her hair styled like that?

Also, I don't have a switch. So I can't participate. :(
Also, Team Cake!

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Actually one thing I noticed is it is a lot easy to climb unturfed walls now,
In Splatoon tryibg to get up a wall that wasn't inked fully was a nightmare specially as a charger player. You could jump out and spears ink as you moved up but it took a long.....amouny of time.
However I had tested it in the demo section and it is a lot easier to move up walls now even as they are not "fully" inked.

Also @Ansible it seems you might be able to change your teams before it start, idk, saw a little announcement bar as I picked ICE CREAM (cookie dough ice cream for days), but wasn't paying close attention

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
When you pick your splatfest team it says that you can't change that choice, so Ansible has to have her cake and eat it too :p

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Also @Ansible it seems you might be able to change your teams before it start, idk, saw a little announcement bar as I picked ICE CREAM (cookie dough ice cream for days), but wasn't paying close attention
When I picked teams, at the "is this ok?" Prompt, it states below that you wont be able to change it after youve chosen. Same warning as Splat1 had.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Thanks everyone! Nice to know I'm just imagining things in regards to wall swimming. Nor being to silly spending who knows how long swimming along every wall and doing donuts on them. ¬¬

Not only does she appear to be an octoling, but her tentacles move independently! (Oh my lore~!) Haven't really noticed the same from Pearl yet or everyone elses inklinh. So it could be an octoling thing or a personal thing.

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787

Also, I don't have a switch. So I can't participate. :(
Also, Team Cake!
I feel your pain. Not too far off from having enough for one, but then I actually have to save up for Splatoon 2 (first and foremost) and then ARMS. And neither my birthday nor Christmas are close to being here. :(

May have to sell some old Wii games that I don't use anymore just to get some cash.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Doesn't look like anyone has brought this up yet, but Special Depletion appears to have been replaced with a different (and arguably better) system. Take a look at this picture from the Direct:

upload_2017-7-8_20-34-57.png

Each weapon will now be assigned a designated Turf requirement to get its special, so rather than giving us the situation in Splatoon 1 where Tentatek, Dynamo and Krak-On Roller were the reasons every weapon with Inkzooka, Echolocator and Kraken had a points increase for the special we'll just see updates where the popular weapons will see an increase in points for special to balance it and give the weaker, lesser used weapons faster charging specials. It'll most likely work better with Special Saver's % save mechanic as opposed to not changing its scaling with Light and Heavy depletions.

You can see this in the Splatfest Premier too. Tentatek has 190p for Inkjet, Splat Dualies has 180p for Tenta Missiles, Splat Roller has 180p for Splashdown and Splat Charger has 180p for Sting Ray. I'd expect to see the Tentatek's special charge requirement increase tenfold in the coming weeks from launch, as it'll most likely prove to be as popular as ever with the kit being near identical to the og Tentatek. Overall I welcome this change and whilst it won't make Special Charge Up and Special Saver super popular, it's a nice way to stop weapons having their specials become the centre of attention and bringing down weaker weapons that struggle to get by as is.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Also forgot to mention this earlier but there is a way to see the New special for splatoon 2 including the
(Get to it by press - on the weapon selection screen)
BUBBLE BLOWER
apparently it fire 3 BUBBLE that when hit with a teammates ink explode, but will shrivel when hit by enemy ink
Really liking this feature now just give me the firing range an I'll be happy

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
If Marie's umbrella turns out to be a weapon, I would personally keel over and die in a heart beat. I was keeping my fingers cross for something archery related, but it would seem too soon, huh? I would love to see bows that fire out ink arrows when charged up. (Yeah, I am dreaming here.)

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
@ForteReborn I have shared that dream though it was more along the lines of a crossbow instead of a bow n arrow
If it were a regular recurve, it would do these ranges that have a tilt upward and downward. (Of course.) If it were a crossbow, it would have a delay a bit before the next shot. So it would be one of those weapons that you have plan strategically.

Hrm, it would be like three shots per ink round, or maybe two...If a recurve, it would be weak shots, but more rounds per shoot. A splat bomb, or some sort of sub would help bring out or corner your enemies with this. Being they somewhat work like chargers, and bamzboolers. Ugh, these sound like cool ideas.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
From what I'm hearing Respawn Punisher's effect was mistranslated and the Japanese text says it affects the opponent when you splat them, not when they splat you like the english text incorrectly says. Now the question is if it stacks with opponent's Respawn Punisher. Eitherway I expect this ability to be very popular, wont deny that I'll be using it first thing! Unfortunately it's shirt exclusive just like Thermal Ink so I can't have both, curses!

Also, I'm wondering if Last Ditch Effort will keep the old Quick Respawn effect or use the new nerfed version. Hopefully the former given how unused this ability is. Course this is assuming LDE keeps a QR effect at all, the description for it once again doesn't say anything about a QR effect. The tinted shades ( :head_eye003: ) look amazing in this game so I really want to use them regardless of the underwhelming main ability.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
From what I'm hearing Respawn Punisher's effect was mistranslated and the Japanese text says it affects the opponent when you splat them, not when they splat you like the english text incorrectly says. Now the question is if it stacks with opponent's Respawn Punisher. Eitherway I expect this ability to be very popular, wont deny that I'll be using it first thing! Unfortunately it's shirt exclusive just like Thermal Ink so I can't have both, curses!

Also, I'm wondering if Last Ditch Effort will keep the old Quick Respawn effect or use the new nerfed version. Hopefully the former given how unused this ability is. Course this is assuming LDE keeps a QR effect at all, the description for it once again doesn't say anything about a QR effect. The tinted shades ( :head_eye003: ) look amazing in this game so I really want to use them regardless of the underwhelming main ability.
Respawn Punisher's gonna be a mystery in regards to the specifics and hard stats for the next 13 days. As for the tinted shades, if changing mains is indeed a thing you'll be able to use them with whatever you like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom