Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yeah I definitely don't want to just kick up another event and slap it together and be like, "okay we have a competitive event for competitive players, and now an event for you!" I want it to be tailored to you players, not just something for you all that you may not want in the first place. Any ideas totally don't have to be "event" based.

I definitely want to do forum-based and social-media based contests or things based on those platforms. Screenshot/video challenges are a great idea actually, will definitely keep that in mind. Stuff like get a particular shot, or do a trick, or something like that, yeah those are cool ideas.

I've also thought of art contests and then forum stuff like "Post of the Week" or "User of the Month" or something like that.

I definitely want to focus on community, forum/social media based things (contests, threads, etc.) rather than doing another event series.
I could see art contests being a big thing. I couldn't draw a stick squid (or a squid on a stick) if my life depended on it, but I swear the rest of the Splatoon community is made exclusively of artistes!

"Post of the Week/User of the Month" seems like it could have possibly the wrong effect by elevating one user or their ideas above others it might make for a kind of stilted community over time. Not sure I like that one. I say that as someone who over the years has probably qualified multiple times with missives in detail of the matchmaking systems that span multiple posts :P Between the big detailed posts, the great pro tips/weapon analysis which might lead to a suppression of thoughts from less knowledgeable users once those are highlighted, and the chase for funniest post which leads to excessive meme-ery, that might backfire.

Polls, screenshot/video challenges, etc sound great though. Montage videos could be cool, but that's more restricted to the social media/tournament watchers/youtuber(y...not g...the goo tuber is way more awesome than you tubers) crowd. Does video work on the share button yet? With screenshots the button is right under booyah so it's easy. Not sure if video's working on that button yet. Even if it is, you can't easily shakycam that, it has to be through social media. Yuck. No spyware tools for me, thanks. Besides, imagine my posts in 255 characters?! :P

Yay~ I finally reached level 30!

Now everything is available to me... if I had enough money. Oh, but I have enough for the Crayon Clash Blaster, let me get a few laughs from it.

*one hour later*
View attachment 5501

Pray! Someone pray for me!
Hah, at least I'm not the only one. I should get there tonight or in splatfest tomorrow. I've waited for my scoped eliter for sooooo looong! Funny thing is now I've found tuber and am less excited for it....

Speaking of Turf War Aerosprays, I'm a little surprised their numbers have not dwindled much lately. I guess the new map designs really allow them to get back into the fight and ink like crazy to win more than they did in the first game.
We're a month in, new people are still coming in droves and it's the premier newb weapon, soooooo...
I don't know, I think this time around aero is actually a decent weapon. I find myself getting killed by them far too often. Much more than happened in the first game. With the tick rate their low damage and not quite fast rate of fire actually has some advantages over, say, sploosh. I'd contemplated switching to aero INSTEAD of sploosh (aero used to be my splatfest wep in S1) but after the minor buff to sploosh I think it's feeling more like its old self again. Before that I could not get it to work effectively with the tick rate missed hits. I was losing 1v1's to aeros because the rapid damage of sploosh was missing ticks (still does) and aero would land all of its. Plus silver aero this time has basically the kit the gold aero had in S1....."seeker" trails to flank in, namely. But that curling bomb rush is getting annoying. It lasts way too long.

Bomb rush annoyance aside, it's actually nice to reset to the time when there were aeros everywhere. I'm just sick of them overpopulating the other team of zones when my team has 3 chargers and an umbrella. :P

Finally a weapon with the bubble blower, though. Looks like we'll be getting this one right on Splat Fest, so...

(Where is my bambi, why do you hold it back?)
Awesome though bambi may be, remember the damage it will do to the meta when everyone gets their hands on one and realizes in a ranked match they have NO idea how to use it. I love the thing as much as you do, but it's a pretty niche weapon for a pretty small audience. Much as I want to play it, I'm not looking forward to having them on my team. The golden rule of bambi: if you have one in your lobby, it's either because the player is really REALLY good with it. Or the player is really REALLY bad with it. :P

As I mentioned when this was first announced, I am very excited for the return of the Forge as it was one my mains from the first game.

I think the kit looks to be geared towards being more aggressive than the vanilla, with an more offensive Sub and... well, whatever role the Bubble Blower is meant to cater too idk.
The catch is the vanilla Pro is mostly the kit equivalent of the original Forge, while the new Forge is entirely different from either :)

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Ansible
Now that you are level 30 Judd will give supersea emails with each level up, make sure to claim them before you level up or else rip super sea snails

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Ansible
Now that you are level 30 Judd will give supersea emails with each level up, make sure to claim them before you level up or else rip super sea snails
actually, they stack up (thank goodness)

And I'm just waiting to test out that bubble blower, crafting ideas in my head of what I can do.
I wonder how exactly they interact with walls...?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
As people have already mentioned, news of the Forge Splattershot Pro isn't new. We've known about this one since Monday last week as they announced the Forge, Manta Maria and Lost Outpost at the same time, with the Forge being given a release date of the 2nd of September. It was Nintendo's big Gamescom announcement for Splatoon 2, finally adding new maps, a balance patch that didn't do much and finally giving us a Bubble Blower weapon. As I also said at the time of its announcement I expected the Forge Splattershot Pro to be the first weapon coming with Bubble Blower, especially when you look at the other weapons with it on through the leaks, some either don't make sense or the weapons wouldn't be enticing enough to get good data on the special. They also said on the Japanese Twitter that there would be another balance patch in September, and from the rough translations it'll be addressing some of the specials, so it only makes sense to release what is most likely going to be the weapon with the highest popularity and appeal to use Bubble Blower so they can get good statistical data on Bubble Blower and probably include it in the patches. This is my theory on why the specials haven't been touched yet bar Baller and a few special charge nerfs. If, for argument's sake, they nerfed the power of Inkjet, Ink Armor and Splashdown, it might have opened up a huge balance issue regarding specials when the Bubble Blower launches, because those 3 things could have been the only counters to Bubble Blower (if bombs do explode on contact with it then Bomb Launcher will also be a counter). They want the special in so they can see how it fits in, what popularity it'll get and how strong it is, because chances are the game also sends hidden stats we don't see on SplatNet to the server like how many splats and assists a special gets, turf covered, how many times it can be used in a match etc.

Of course this could point to more Bubble Blower weapons being released for the next few weeks to test how the player base reacts to the special and whether they consider it good enough to use over Ink Armor and Inkjet, because right now those 2 specials are the most predominant, and do need some slight balancing adjustments made to bring them down in line with other specials.

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
The catch is the vanilla Pro is mostly the kit equivalent of the original Forge, while the new Forge is entirely different from either :)
Ironically enough, the main reason I used the Forge in the first game (that being the lower ink cost for the sub weapon) is now a non-issue for me as my main gear loadout has far more ink saving abilities than it did in the first game (thanks to Splatnet 2). Plus I've been using Suction Bombs a lot thanks to the N-Zap, so it's not like kit is completely unfamiliar.

What cool or fun or awesome stuff can we do as staff for Squidboards users like you all? What's something we can do here on the site that you all would really enjoy? Something that's not geared toward the competitive scene.
Also since I didn't answer this the first time: idk.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
actually, they stack up (thank goodness)

And I'm just waiting to test out that bubble blower, crafting ideas in my head of what I can do.
I wonder how exactly they interact with walls...?
I didn't get my snails from levels 30-32 as I didn't yet realize this was a thing. Maybe they'll start stacking once you've talked to Judd after reaching 30, but not before then.

Probably just stopped or bounce off slightly, definitely wont go through them me thinks. I'm wondering how low to the ground the bubbles can be, thus whether or not they can not only be used as shields but to block paths aswell.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I didn't get my snails from levels 30-32 as I didn't yet realize this was a thing. Maybe they'll start stacking once you've talked to Judd after reaching 30, but not before then.
I didn't pick up my snails until 31 and I got two snails at once.

the

Inkling Commander
Well I'd argue that the vanilla SSP2 is played differently than the Forge SSP1, if only because of its good synergy with the inkstorm. The inkzooka was good for obvious reasons, but the inkstorm complements the gun beautifully, making its whole playstyle revolve around scaring opponents out of certain areas and chasing them away/picking them off afterward.

Also, I think the Forge SSP2 will be pretty similar to the Berry SSP! Since it's got the same sub, and a special that can be used for both area control and defense (although it will rely on more teamplay than suction bomb rush did)

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Now that you are level 30 Judd will give supersea emails with each level up
To: SquidKid
Subject: Littering

> It has come to the attention of Inkopolis that I've been marking my territory upon various sign posts and, upon occasion, idle squidkids standing near my sleeping pillow. If you have not noticed, I have not been provided with a litter box. Also, is that salmon I smell on you? Are you interested in skipping the next 2 ranks instantly? Talk to me during Splatfest after dark. Nya.

Well I'd argue that the vanilla SSP2 is played differently than the Forge SSP1, if only because of its good synergy with the inkstorm. The inkzooka was good for obvious reasons, but the inkstorm complements the gun beautifully, making its whole playstyle revolve around scaring opponents out of certain areas and chasing them away/picking them off afterward.

Also, I think the Forge SSP2 will be pretty similar to the Berry SSP! Since it's got the same sub, and a special that can be used for both area control and defense (although it will rely on more teamplay than suction bomb rush did)
Good point. I'm still salty that they ruined the vanilla by making it the Forge. I always loved the vanilla :(

the

Inkling Commander
Good point. I'm still salty that they ruined the vanilla by making it the Forge. I always loved the vanilla :(
Maybe they'll add a sheldon's pick berry SSP with splatbombs and splashdown :p

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792

Looks like we will be getting Manta Maria, and some spiffy looking original stage for tonight's splatfest. Okay, that looks REALLY cool. Are they gonna add those jumping platforms to the mix of it? I hope so!

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Looks like we will be getting Manta Maria, and some spiffy looking original stage for tonight's splatfest.
Is this your first Splatfest? Because that's Shifty Station, which will appear in every fest with a different layout each time.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Your news is a tad outdated lately, Forte. Anyway, I really hope Shifty Station is better this time, I'm not fond of the last one.

D

Deleted Member

Random new salmon run mode idea:
Low tide comes and a little salmonoid implants a little machine on the basket, the basket now has spider like legs and walks around on low tide.
You'll have to hit the implant to stop it from walking for a few moments, if you do not it may get near the water and shake some eggs out.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Is this your first Splatfest? Because that's Shifty Station, which will appear in every fest with a different layout each time.
Uh, no? I had Splatoon 2 since launch, and played cake vs ice cream. I was also on team mayo, and going on with team flight. Why would this be my first? I am just wondering what sort of original level they are going to pull this time since it is different. Can I be curious?( I also forgot what they were called, so sorry if I didn't correctly name it.)

Also I've been playing since 2015, so if that is enough proof for you.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Uh, no? I had Splatoon 2 since launch, and played cake vs ice cream. I was also on team mayo, and going on with team flight. Why would this be my first? I am just wondering what sort of original level they are going to pull this time since it is different. Can I be curious?( I also forgot what they were called, so sorry if I didn't correctly name it.)

Also I've been playing since 2015, so if that is enough proof for you.
Hey, if you can be curious, I can be curious too. That was a genuine question, you didn't need to be defensive with the response. But anyway, when they first revealed Shifty Station, they clarified that it will be in every Splatfest with a different layout each time. I was just trying to explain that.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm liking what I see of the new Shifty Station layout, but the photo they took makes it look much smaller than the previous one. Which would be fine, since the first one was far too big for its own good, but hopefully it isn't super tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom