Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I personally like the delay between shielding and launching the shield. It allows for more regular blocking.

While brella launching in certain situations is quite effective (moving splash wall that also inks? Yes please!)
the needed delay before being able to shield again(imagine someone spamming moving splash walls? x_x no thank you) leaves me feeling very vulnerable, as I like to shield and annoy the opponents quite often(I love it when you block their ink from reaching the splat zone)

And increasing the hp? I dunno on that one.

On one hand, it does stink when you shield when you should have probably retreated, and your shield pops like a soap bubble from an enemy splattershot (or 2+ opponents' focus fire)

But on the other hand, baller just got buffed and is dominating top league quad ranking.
If they buff brella's HP, it might be too much as well (also, when I feel I've used splat brella right, I manage to tank just the right shots and pull off an amazing defense/push. I am very unsure whether or not this should be made easier to pull off. I'll leave that to the dev's to decide.)
That comparison is a bigger stretch than the Tenta Brella! The Baller is good now mainly because of all the other buffs it got, less knockback, more damage, more range. All the HP buff really did is make it so Special Power Up isn't necessity anymore. Also unlike the Baller the Brella shield by itself is rarely ever going to splat anyone. But if my ideas are too much, how would you buff the Brella?

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
From my incredibly biased point of view, I'm not sure if the brella needs a buff or not.

Rain check! xP
until after some tenta brella gameplay.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
You can put the shield down before it launches then open it again, rinse and repeat for indefinite shielding.

Aside from lackluster offense, how long it takes for the shield to actually pop off is the biggest problem for me. That's the best part of the weapon imo, a shield you can shoot through that creates a path and can damage enemys, but with the aforementioned issues this tactic is very situational and unreliable currently. A buff increasing Brella HP and reducing wait time before it pops off I think would make the weapon great.
Good point, but it's the mixed back. you can't block right away, you can't hold the shield long enough, and then you can't deploy it as fast as you want. I'm sure there's a rhythm to perfect it......but if H3 was a "challenge weapon" in S1, brella, currently takes that to a whole new level :P

Yeah, I haven't used it much, but it feels really weird and clunky to me. I would rather there be a separate input to launch the brella, like. idk, pushing the jump button while you have the brella open
Exactly! I think brella would have been cool like the duelie dodge roll that you can launch it on command. OTOH, I'm not sure how they'd manage guarding since if you could do that indefinitely it would be absurd (imagine a perma-shield on the tower! :P )

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
From my incredibly biased point of view, I'm not sure if the brella needs a buff or not.

Rain check! xP
until after some tenta brella gameplay.
Even if the Tenta Brella turns out to be great (extremely unlikely, especially with that kit), that doesn't have much to do with the Splat Brella, which has been out long enough now that it's safe to say it's pretty underwhelming for aforementioned reasons and lack of usage. Nintendo themselves probably know it needs buffs, hence giving it the lowest points for special requirment alongside Goo Tuber.

BryantSnyd

Inkster Jr.
NNID
EarthboundFan0
Switch Friend Code
SW-8532-5383-1036
Fresh idea! I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but wouldn't Splash-o-dualies be neat? To be clear, this would be a mash-up of the dualie weapon category and the Splash-o-matic. Sploosh-o-dualies would be nice too. I was thinking of what they did with the Dualie Squelchers and just thought it'd be fantastic to have more dualie versions of the weapons we love. Maybe even Dualie Blasters?

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@Lonely_Dolphin
The big problem imo for the tent is the huge delay between shots, it can hinder the brella at times a long with the weird hit box (for me) that makes hard to use.
@Flopps
Quick question what does a pro brella use in terms of abilities, and how does one approach while using a brella

Fresh idea! I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but wouldn't Splash-o-dualies be neat? To be clear, this would be a mash-up of the dualie weapon category and the Splash-o-matic. Sploosh-o-dualies would be nice too. I was thinking of what they did with the Dualie Squelchers and just thought it'd be fantastic to have more dualie versions of the weapons we love. Maybe even Dualie Blasters?
Honestly I really would love to see some other weapons classes fused with the duelies class, for example duelie bambis or Duelie brushes anyone?
:wst_charge_light00:o_O:wst_charge_light00: :wst_roller_brushmini00:;):wst_roller_brushmini00:

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
This is a strange question, but when practicing in the shooting range, do you prefer to use ink saver or ink recovery for efficiency? I'm just stacking these to minimize downtime.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is a strange question, but when practicing in the shooting range, do you prefer to use ink saver or ink recovery for efficiency? I'm just stacking these to minimize downtime.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

Ink Recovery I guess? That gives a better feel for a weapon's usual ammo count.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Well my goal isn't to work with my usual ammo count. I want to do aiming drills with as little time spent empty as possible, and I'm curious whether it'll be faster to use ink saver or ink recovery. If I could turn on unlimited ammo I would.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well my goal isn't to work with my usual ammo count. I want to do aiming drills with as little time spent empty as possible, and I'm curious whether it'll be faster to use ink saver or ink recovery. If I could turn on unlimited ammo I would.
Fair enough, I suppose. Use an equal amount of both to optimize your ink efficiency.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Having taken the Tenta Brella into combat, here are my thoughts: Slooooooooooooooow! This weapon feels glacially paced, and that's coming from a Jet main! Overall it's really quite interesting and I can dig it, but it's probably not something I'd use much, with it's current kit.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Tenta Brella is finally here! The thing spreads ink uber well surprisingly! The max damage range is actually a lot shorter than the ink spread would indicate however. Has about 3 test room lines worth of range, same as the regular Slosher. The damage at max range is pretty poor though, same as the regular Brella, and it's quite a lot slower. It's ohko range is pretty modest at 1.5 lines atleast.

EDIT: So after using it in some matches, yeah this thing is way too slow with how weak it is. Atleast the shield is pretty durable, but I don't think that justifys all the cons. It just isn't fun or satisfying to use for me. I still have faith that the Compact Brella will finally be a Brella I really enjoy!

Last edited:

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
@Lonely_Dolphin
The big problem imo for the tent is the huge delay between shots, it can hinder the brella at times a long with the weird hit box (for me) that makes hard to use.
@Flopps
Quick question what does a pro brella use in terms of abilities, and how does one approach while using a brella

Honestly I really would love to see some other weapons classes fused with the duelies class, for example duelie bambis or Duelie brushes anyone?
:wst_charge_light00:o_O:wst_charge_light00: :wst_roller_brushmini00:;):wst_roller_brushmini00:
I agree, and I think it's going to be buffed despite the people who think it needs a nerf.

For me, I use Swim speed, (Lots of) Special charge up, some Ink Saver Main, and Object Shredder. It depends on your location. If the enemy is surrounded by their ink, then you should sen your Shield out. If they're in your ink, just go around for a sneak attack.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
For now I'm just having a get-to-know-you session with the tenta brella in the test range and recon mode.

First blush, other than guzzling ink like a fish, slower fire rate and shield deploy, barely longer distance, regenerates slower once lost, slower swim speed, and about 30ish points of extra damage at effective range... it's litte different than the splat different.

The brellas fly off the handle at about the same time, they travel about the same distance, and both have to be at the same range to gain max damage... just... wot~ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't strongly stand out from the regular version to have its own real identity like how the three rollers and two brushes are distinct from one another.

Here's to hoping that next month's update can help with that!

Cyan

Inkling Commander

Before people get too worked up, it looks like this is a Europe only theme (who would have guessed? Europe NEVER gets bad themes). I see no mention of it on America's Twitter or Tumblr accounts for Splatoon 2 so they'll probably have a Halloween preperation theme the following week or something. There's only one human answer, which will most likely lose to overwhelming popularity. As for a positive, at least the ink colours are nice? (Really clutching straws here).

I wouldn't get your hopes up for other Dualie shooter weapons. The Dual Squelcher was turned into a dualie-type because it was largely ignored in the first game, not as good as the Pro for killing, mediocre kits in comparison (96 Deco had Splash Wall/Kraken) and was generally in a no-mans land. By keeping its range the same, breaking the gun in half and giving each nozzle to one hand gave it dodge rolling, a skill to make it stand out from the 96 and Pro (both of which have the same range as Dualie Squelchers). There's already 5 types of Dualie we know exist, and most share similarities to other shooter weapons. As a final point, it can't happen because we have Dapple for close range/quick rolls and the regular Dualies for everything else. Splash struggles in this game against the regular Dualies as it's outranged and outclassed by them since it can't roll. The devs won't just plop another Splash into your left hand and add dodge rolls, it doesn't need to exist when the Dapple and Splat variants cover those ranges and painting ability.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is the kind of topic that seems insignificant and stupid, but is something most people have a very passionate opinion on. That makes for a great Splatfest topic, and a good follow-up to the pineapple one from S1. The only problem is that over has already proven to be more popular. So they (or, we, rather, since I'm on that side) already got one out of three points in the pocket.

And you get to walk around with a toilet-paper print on you shirt. How can you possibly think this is a bad fest theme?
I wouldn't get your hopes up for other Dualie shooter weapons. The Dual Squelcher was turned into a dualie-type because it was largely ignored in the first game, not as good as the Pro for killing, mediocre kits in comparison (96 Deco had Splash Wall/Kraken) and was generally in a no-mans land. By keeping its range the same, breaking the gun in half and giving each nozzle to one hand gave it dodge rolling, a skill to make it stand out from the 96 and Pro (both of which have the same range as Dualie Squelchers). There's already 5 types of Dualie we know exist, and most share similarities to other shooter weapons. As a final point, it can't happen because we have Dapple for close range/quick rolls and the regular Dualies for everything else. Splash struggles in this game against the regular Dualies as it's outranged and outclassed by them since it can't roll. The devs won't just plop another Splash into your left hand and add dodge rolls, it doesn't need to exist when the Dapple and Splat variants cover those ranges and painting ability.
I really hate that they turned the Dual Squelchers into Dualies. They went from my favorite weapon (sort of), to a weapon I never use. I saw them tons in Splatoon 1 and its kit (not the Custom's) was by far the best in the game for me. Best bombs + best special. Not to mention the echolocator goes perfectly with a long-range weapon. Easily my least favorite change in Splatoon 2.

Reactions: the

Ansible

Community Ambassador
So it really is real.

What bowels did this theme crawl out of anyway? I'm sorry, but that's such a foul theme they pinched out this early in the game's life. Almost three months in and they're already expelling a theme rife for scatological humor? Were all their good ideas flushed away?

Maybe the Americas will get a different theme in the end? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
After tackling the Tenta-Brella i fear this is becoming yet another one of the many, many high-risk low-reward weapons in the game. It can readily join the likes of Goo Tuber, E-Liter, every single roller and the regular Brella in that regard. It's a bit too early to say and i hope there will be discoveries that will give it some potential, but so far i have yet to see anyone do well with it.

Somewhat unique to the weapon is that it has both a significant start-up time and a cooldown time with each shot. Not only does this mean you have to lead the target to a ludicrous degree, you are also incredibly vulnerable while you are doing it. You are practically a target-practise dummy while firing, but the slow suffering does not end there either: It's 10% slower speed makes it also much more sluggish to use outside of combat which is pretty bad for a close-ranged weapon. Combined with a terrible set (have fun sniping those bubbles!), a sluggish ttk, a disastrous ink consumption and weak turf coverage and you have a weapon that doesn't look like it'll have a bright future anywhere near soon.

I really think this weapon would've done so much better with burst bombs. Score a direct and suddenly you can get a lethal shot from a much further range. It wouldn't make it an amazing weapon by any means, but it'll help.

After testing it out i think the .96 is way better in just about every regard. Higher mobility, higher firerate (resulting in a much faster ttk), no speed penalty, more range, way better set and i bet it inks better too. It's accuracy is it's the only shortcoming, but when you compare that to the Tenta-Brella it still feels like a better choice to me.

oh yeah eu splatfest something something gimmie my shirt for chunks and snails plz

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
After tackling the Tenta-Brella i fear this is becoming yet another one of the many, many high-risk low-reward weapons in the game. It can readily join the likes of Goo Tuber, E-Liter, every single roller and the regular Brella in that regard. It's a bit too early to say and i hope there will be discoveries that will give it some potential, but so far i have yet to see anyone do well with it.

Somewhat unique to the weapon is that it has both a significant start-up time and a cooldown time with each shot. Not only does this mean you have to lead the target to a ludicrous degree, you are also incredibly vulnerable while you are doing it. You are practically a target-practise dummy while firing, but the slow suffering does not end there either: It's 10% slower speed makes it also much more sluggish to use outside of combat which is pretty bad for a close-ranged weapon. Combined with a terrible set (have fun sniping those bubbles!), a sluggish ttk, a disastrous ink consumption and weak turf coverage and you have a weapon that doesn't look like it'll have a bright future anywhere near soon.

I really think this weapon would've done so much better with burst bombs. Score a direct and suddenly you can get a lethal shot from a much further range. It wouldn't make it an amazing weapon by any means, but it'll help.

After testing it out i think the .96 is way better in just about every regard. Higher mobility, higher firerate (resulting in a much faster ttk), no speed penalty, more range, way better set and i bet it inks better too. It's accuracy is it's the only shortcoming, but when you compare that to the Tenta-Brella it still feels like a better choice to me.

oh yeah eu splatfest something something gimmie my shirt for chunks and snails plz
.96 is underrated. If it had the kit the SSP has, it would be a favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom