Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SquidKid85

Inkling Commander
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch Friend Code
SW-2518-9259-3787
As expected...you guys have blown up my thread again. (Not that I'm mad though). Loving the look of the new maps, the new Arowana, and even Walleye (though it looks relatively unchanged).

Clam Blitz looks pretty interesting, definitely a ranked mode I'll look forward to.

The hairstyles look cool too, especially since none of the current new ones interested me all that much.

As for the level cap being increased...if you have that much time to get to level 99 and then continue to max out your level, just...why?

The new weapons look good, though I'm not sure how much I'll use any of them.

Pretty happy this game is still full of surprises. For those who said it didn't deserve to be called a proper sequel, even after the Direct earlier this year (next to nobody but still), it definitely earns that title now.

Lists will be updated shortly.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I just don't think it's fair to call it 1.5 when it's made the same sorta changes and improvements as sequels in other series. For instance I don't recall anyone calling Mario Kart 8 "Mario Kart 7.5," despite it having no new modes and a stripped battle mode. But eh that's just my obviously biased opinion!

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904

UPDOOT TIM

Curious if gear swapping just means clothes only or everything (clothes, weapons, hair, leggings, controls).

I'd also like to know the lore on their new hairstyles, given how some of these looks seem to involve cutting their tentacles. And what becomes of the cut portions of their tentacles? *hides cooking equipment*

It's like they're the average, ordinary everyperson/NPCs when compared to our rambunctious, superpowered fraggles squid-kid PCs. It's an amusing juxtaposition.
They're selling squid rings at MakoMart.

With all those hair clippings lying around, maybe the Squid Sisters referencing eating squid is slightly less morbid than we thought it was. Slightly.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Geez, you'd think adding a bunch of cool and free **** would be the last thing to be so salt-inducing, even if the new hairstyles are naff as hell.

It's times like this that I forget that we had all this good stuff leaked to use all those months ago. One would think knowing about what's to come would result in maintained interest rather than uncertainty, but you never know.

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
Geez, you'd think adding a bunch of cool and free **** would be the last thing to be so salt-inducing, even if the new hairstyles are naff as hell.

It's times like this that I forget that we had all this good stuff leaked to use all those months ago. One would think knowing about what's to come would result in maintained interest rather than uncertainty, but you never know.
I feel the same way. I came to this site for the first time in months because I was hyped, and it turns out everyone just feels too cynical to enjoy it. Kinda took the wind out of my sails.

I was just having fun with squid mutilation and an epic looking and sounding fiddler and everyone else is just resigned to the fact that they'll never enjoy a game they used to again and they're just here for old time's sake. It's quite a contrast.

I guess ResetERA was hyped, at least. I almost forgot for a second.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I feel the same way. I came to this site for the first time in months because I was hyped, and it turns out everyone just feels too cynical to enjoy it. Kinda took the wind out of my sails.

I was just having fun with squid mutilation and an epic looking and sounding fiddler and everyone else is just resigned to the fact that they'll never enjoy a game they used to again and they're just here for old time's sake. It's quite a contrast.

It's hardly everyone, just a handful of cynics in the crowd, don't let us get you down :P Our own grievances about this game shouldn't affect your own ability to enjoy it.

the

Inkling Commander
I wonder if the new maps will be better for ranged weapons. All the stuff is great, ESPECIALLY gear swapping between matches, but man. I really hope they take steps to lessen the short range meta, and map design is one of the places where it most obviously rears its head. I wanna have fun playing long range snipers nintendo

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's hardly everyone, just a handful of cynics in the crowd, don't let us get you down :p Our own grievances about this game shouldn't affect your own ability to enjoy it.
I dunno, on one hand making everyone less interested in splatoon will wound the playerbase...

But on the other hand I kinda WANT to do that, in order to give Nintendo a swift kick in the wallet. >_<
SOMETHING to get across to them that this paid online is a bad idea.

Coricus

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4794-7152-2904
I dunno, on one hand making everyone less interested in splatoon will wound the playerbase...

But on the other hand I kinda WANT to do that, in order to give Nintendo a swift kick in the wallet. >_<
If it makes you feel a teeny weeny bit better, according to one interview that popped up with this wave of releases they seem to be mulling over the idea of giving Splatoon 2 free online a little longer than planned in order to give the holiday playerbase time to settle in.

Less relevant to the quote, they're also thinking over whether they should extend their planned content support past the currently planned one year or not. Looks like they're still planning out a lot of stuff as they go.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Less relevant to the quote, they're also thinking over whether they should extend their planned content support past the currently planned one year or not. Looks like they're still planning out a lot of stuff as they go.
That would be good to know if they go that route. Considering this will likely be the only Splatoon on Switch, it will need to be given a longer life than one year to make it worth playing for a few years. I recall they said Splatfest will last for two years, but those are not substantial enough to get excited for. And considering the team's track record for making Shifty Stations, I don't know it we will all have the patience to keep playing Splatfest. ;)

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393

If paid online was expensive, that might be reasonable, but seriously, it’s fairly cheap- a pittance for an entire year’s access. And if it actually does encourage them to work on dedicated servers (wishful thinking, I know), then it’s especially worth it.

Besides, all a kick to the wallet will accomplish is discourage them from continuing to work on Splatoon. That’s how the business (aka ‘greedy’, aka, ‘how the sausage gets made’) side of every company works

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I appreciate the cheer-me-up (I still think it's a snowball's chance in hell that even this will happen)

(Nintendo is) mulling over the idea of giving Splatoon 2 free online a little longer than planned
but until this^^^
(Nintendo is) giving Splatoon 2 free online / (paid, but vastly improved international matchmaking)
becomes this^^^
I'll still feel like I was being lead to believe I was paying to eat a king size chocolate bar, only to later realize I only paid enough to smell it and i was only $60 short of enough money to be allowed to eat it! OH BOY! ($20 x 3 years, how many people would have bought splatoon 2 if it costed $120?).

Nevermind.
Nintendo, I am sorely disappointed right now.
I'm done, thank you for putting up with my temper, good night.

Last edited:

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I bet most complainers here have played Splatoon 2 more than they played 95% of other games they own, so be grateful for that.

It's the second game in the series and came out only 2y after the original. Of course it was going to be similar in a lot of aspects to the original.

And it's all a matter of opinion anyway. Stages don't play out the same at all IMO, even if some people like to complain about how they are the same, and I'm playing as more different weapons in this game than Splatoon 1. I enjoy the Splatfests more this time around, and there's tons of additions (Salmon Run, Drinks/Food, Chunks, Splatnet 2.0 shopping, hairstyles, 2h rotations) that I would sorely miss if I were to go back to Splatoon 1 and that people conveniently forget to mention to make a point.

Sure, Splatoon 2 isn't perfect, there's things I miss about Splatoon 1 (specials/stages mostly), and I feel bad for Americans with their mixed bag matchmaking, but if you seriously feel the need to crap all over the game when others are trying to be excited over new content, it might be time to maybe make a new thread for people to complain in.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I’ve already said what I want to say, but there’s one thing that shocks me: why do you want them to scrap TC and RM? They are good modes, very competitive, and lots of fun.
I'm not saying that TC and RM are bad modes or anything, but for arguments' sake made the point of keeping Zones because it fits in with Turf War (which will always be the staple mode) and had the unique ranked gameplay whereas TC and RM share similar objective types, with a few changes on how to score. My main point concerning the removal of old modes for new ones was to make the game stand out and continue its trend of quirky and fun ideas not seen elsewhere in multiplayer shooters. If Splatoon 2 had launched with Splat Zones, Clam Blitz and a 3rd new and unique mode, there would be less annoyance within the community that it falls as a 1.5 rather than a new game in its' own right. Hell I'd have been satisfied with Splat Zones, Tower Control and Clam Blitz at launch with a 4th new mode coming December to make it 2 returning and 2 new.

I just don't think it's fair to call it 1.5 when it's made the same sorta changes and improvements as sequels in other series. For instance I don't recall anyone calling Mario Kart 8 "Mario Kart 7.5," despite it having no new modes and a stripped battle mode. But eh that's just my obviously biased opinion!
This is a bit of a dangerous comparison imo, because Mario Kart changes in more subtle ways that completely changes how the game plays, feels and handles. The original on SNES had lives, coins to increase top speed, 20 tracks with 5 laps, brutal CPU that spam infinite items depending on the character, less emphasis on items (you get 1 a lap) and was essentially a "Super Mario World in karts" with the level names and themes inspired heavily by SMW. Then the N64 version arrived, the tracks became 3D, items were dotted around the track and with infinite respawns, CPU were toned down, tracks were longer and 3 laps and a few items were added for catching up like the Blue Shell and Golden Mushroom. The GBA instalment followed and made a hybrid of the 2 predecessors, styling itself on SMK because of limitations, returning coins, having 40 tracks (20 GBA originals and all 20 SNES ones), but choosing MK64's style for item management and CPU difficulty.

Then the franchise really jumped forward on the GameCube with Double Dash!! where they removed the hop on powerslides, made miniturbo boosts noticeable, threw 2 characters in a kart with the ability to swap, character exclusive items, multiple karts with different stats for the weight classes and buffed Battle Mode by adding Shine Thief and Bob-omb Blast (which was a memorable mode for those who grew up with it). The DS version restored the hop in powerslides, went back to single character racing, added Mission Mode (the best addition to a MK game), revamped battle mode again, had the first online support (WEP security on DS prevented it being mainstream) and introduced the staple of bringing back 16 tracks from previous instalments with the 16 new tracks.

Mario Kart Wii radically changed things again, introducing bikes with wheelies to go faster (not well tested and broken) and some had inward drift for tighter turning (again, not well tested and broken in the game), bumped max racers up to 12, had the biggest and best roster of characters, loads of replayable content due to all the requirements to unlock every vehicle and character, implemented Mission Mode into the Competition/Tournament WiiConnect 24 mode, full leaderboards for competitions and Time Trials, proper online support with the best use of the VR system, changed battle to team gameplay (not popular but it is different) and added the trick/stunt gimmick where you get rewarded with boosts upon landing off ramps.

Mario Kart 7 was a big downgrade because it never added anything new or exciting aside from the Glider/Underwater/custom vehicle creation stuff and wasn't as satisfying or rewarding as Wii, so it died after a month or 2 after launch when people got bored and returned to Wii. Mario Kart 8 brought back bikes, removed the wheelie, removed the ability to have 2 items simultaneously and had a bizarre character lineup, it did add anti-gravity and spin boosts (and eventually DLC) and went back to 12 racers. Deluxe gave us double items in the style of Double Dash!!, fixed Battle Mode (and arguably made it the best yet) and improved the character selection whilst removing firehopping and rebalancing vehicle stats.

Every single Mario Kart has pretty much stripped the game back to its core and rebuilt the physics engine plus changing the power and frequency of items (whilst adding and removing them i.e. Mega Mushroom, Boo, Fire Flower, POW, Thundercloud etc.) so each Mario Kart has always felt different, giving us that unique experience by changing for each console as time has progressed. I never felt disappointed with my copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because it was sold as the "ultimate" version of MK8 and little more than an upgrade. Going into fully anticipating a similar experience I wasn't disappointed and enjoyed the differences because it improved the experience for me and gave me more enjoyment than the og Wii U version ever did.

Comparing this to Splatoon 2 isn't good, because it runs on the exact same physics engine. Splattershot feels the same, throwing bombs feels the same, swimming and jumping feel the same etc. What Splatoon 2 does give are new specials, most of which I really enjoy and like the balance on. The issue is for a game that plays identically to its predecessor and being sold as a "true" sequel it misses a lot of marks for that. 2 new modes not in the 1st game, a handful of new weapons (and sub weapons) with 2 new classes (cool classes, but not really enough), and most likely 10-14 new maps not in the 1st with the rest being remixes of original maps. The game feels even more rigid in flexibility with weapons than the first did, because I always felt able to mess with weapons and still perform reasonably well.

Splatoon 2 has made close ranged weapons so dominant that it's just as unenjoyable as times in the first game where you pop up round a corner or wall for half and second and instantly die. The fact many maps take this idea and run with it mean many times you get spawn camped because the spawns are too high up and closed off that you can't attack them without jumping off and instantly dying. Yes you have subtle changes that improved it over the original, but at the end of the day I feel the game falls extremely short of being a sequel. We still don't have everything in the game yet, so things could change but looking at Shellendorf and Maka Mart I'm not convinced the map design will improve.

I bet most complainers here have played Splatoon 2 more than they played 95% of other games they own, so be grateful for that.

It's the second game in the series and came out only 2y after the original. Of course it was going to be similar in a lot of aspects to the original.

And it's all a matter of opinion anyway. Stages don't play out the same at all IMO, even if some people like to complain about how they are the same, and I'm playing as more different weapons in this game than Splatoon 1. I enjoy the Splatfests more this time around, and there's tons of additions (Salmon Run, Drinks/Food, Chunks, Splatnet 2.0 shopping, hairstyles, 2h rotations) that I would sorely miss if I were to go back to Splatoon 1 and that people conveniently forget to mention to make a point.

Sure, Splatoon 2 isn't perfect, there's things I miss about Splatoon 1 (specials/stages mostly), and I feel bad for Americans with their mixed bag matchmaking, but if you seriously feel the need to crap all over the game when others are trying to be excited over new content, it might be time to maybe make a new thread for people to complain in.
And what does play time have to do with anything? Splatoon 2 is an online multiplayer game like Mario Kart, it will always absorb more play time than anything else because online gaming has that wild variance in play styles and matches to keep things "exciting" and "interesting". Unless you're a speedrunner, are you really going to pour 800 hours into Super Mario Odyssey between now and the next console release like Splatoon 2? No. Being grateful for play time means nothing if the play time doesn't feel satisfying or like it was worth your purchase. Games like Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, DOOM, Skyrim, Pokémon and the like get one playthrough of the main game, any end-game content and then you're usually done with said game because it doesn't offer anything more for you. Sure you may go back to them and play through the whole thing once or twice more, but that will never compete with frantic online matches with strangers and friends, and game releases never happen close enough to stop you constantly coming back to those online games. If you had a quick 30 minutes for a gaming session, would you start SMO from the beginning again or have a quick few matches of Turf Wars or Ranked in Splatoon 2? Multiplayer games have that instant pick up and play then drop out and go single player experience can't offer.

2 years after the sequel launched should have given them ideas for more Ranked modes, and the game feels like Nintendo forced it out early to make Switch have 1 major release every month in 2017. They essentially copy/pasted all weapon models bar the starting weapons and E-Litre (which they did as an excuse to nerf it). Salmon Run was wanted by the community as the zombie PvE that was cried out for in the first game, but grew old extremely quick. I only used it for the 12 rewards and dumped it after getting to Profreshional. Food and Drink tickets were a nice feature, but then they made levelling up gear and Levels even slower to counter it. Ability chunks help get good loadouts on nice looking gear, but they removed the 30000 cash rerolls (I prefer rerolls to blatant RNG on drink tickets received and if they work or not). SplatNet exclusive gear abilities is fantastic, hairstyles and pants are nice for customisation but don't change the gameplay whatsoever. 2 hour rotations are an improvement but you know how we feel on the new maps and it makes them blend into each other even more than they do by themselves. For every improvement the game makes it also brings in many more issues than the original.

I get it's the second game and it's bound to take time to get things correct, but right now this game isn't working out for us. It's still got the fun gameplay but that gets thrown out the window when the maps are bland, when the meta is bland and we're suffering with 1 weapon a week, 1 map a month (SplatoonJP said Walleye Warehouse is mid-December and Shellendorf is end of January) and balance patches that typically overbuff/nerf 1-2 weapons and specials, then do nothing for everything else. What I don't appreciate is you saying "this is all a matter of opinion" and then turning around a paragraph later saying "don't crap on the game and go make a thread to hide your complaints from me so I don't have to deal with it". This is a forum after all, sharing opinions isn't illegal, so rather than whine about our objective fact stacking for content differences (which may not be fully complete) state your argument in a logical and well thought out manner about why you believe it is a true sequel and let us come back with rational arguments bringing in our viewpoints with what we know factually about the game and why we don't feel enamoured of the game or Nintendo's efforts with it. The fact I can still play and enjoy Mario Kart Wii on custom servers 9 years after it launched speaks volumes for that game, but Splatoon 1 had a limited shelf life and for me Splatoon 2's is shorter than 1's due to the copy paste nature of approximately 70% of the game's content.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I’ve already said what I want to say, but there’s one thing that shocks me: why do you want them to scrap TC and RM? They are good modes, very competitive, and lots of fun.
It's not so much that we want them to scrap TC and RM, so much as when we were introduced for a sequel some of us were excited for the prospect of new game modes, and then we got to the game and found it had EXACTLY the same modes as the first game.....it was just the first game all over again with patch-like improvements. Plus Salmon Run, which is great new content but is a side game (with only 2, then 3 maps for 4 months?) Ideally the sequel should have had all new play modes for at least half the modes (and since SZ is so foundational next to TW, that would be the logical one to stay.) or if they were going to have numerous ranked modes, keeping all of them along side the new ones would have worked. But instead we had an identical game and identical rules. Now we get a new mode, 4 months later, but that's still only 20% new mode content for the "sequel".

I enjoy those modes, but it was too much old content without new content. It's possible that by the time the updates are all done it will indeed be a "complete" sequel. I'm expecting it, in fact. But the forced slow trickle of most of the actual new, meaningful content seems more like social media manipulation than an actual contract with paying customers to provide the best experience in a fair way.

All the new stuff is neat, but it doesn't fix underlying issues like the tickrate and matchmaking. It's hard for such issues to leave my mind, looking at the new shinies.
If I could like this 5 times, I would :)

Personally I actually never jumped on the "Splatoon 1.5" bandwagon, and even defended it frequently as a true sequel in the way shooters do sequels. The irony is the more they drag out updates and the more they slap us in the face with missing the actual problems and applying content that doesn't address them the more I realize I was wrong all along and the naysayers were right.

At launch I believed it was 2.0. By the 1.4 patch I was starting to have doubts. And this update that offers some really cool stuff almost seems to cement the point that the way they intend to roll out the game is to slowly introduce it as though it's the first in the series.

Think about it. They've had your $60 for 4 months now, and not only are there only a handful of new maps, but most of what they slowly introduce is the content you could have already played on your WiiU 2 YEARS ago! That's the part that is really starting to grate at me. Every time they introduce something "new" it's something the WiiU owners are already burned out on and are champing at the bit for something actually new. The promise at launch is different from what they're really rolling out.

I think, if you look at those of us complaining you'll see two patterns. A month and a half ago we weren't complaining and were hopeful. The way they've been handling the rollout has proven that our optimism was misplaced. Second, you'll notice that most of us have been here for a long long time, with a whole lot of posts, and have a whole lot of hours logged into the two games. Ultimately we're people who loved the first game, and spent quite a lot of time with it. We understood its flaws and were very hopeful that Nintendo recognized those flaws and intended to correct them on the inevitable sequel on NX, as it was back then.

Then we got the S2 announcement much sooner than we expected which was both great and a little concerning. But heading into it at launch it was still filled with a lot of promise of all the new content, comments the devs made about returning maps, returning weapons, more content than the first, etc. etc. There were some core problems with the networking and matchmaking we recognized instantly but we played anyway expecting "this is Nintendo, they'll fix it." We knew there were way too few maps compared to the releases on S1, but we were hopeful they'd manage it well and release it on a good schedule. And it was fine. But now 4 months in, we're getting "3" new maps, only one of which is new, and they and the first new mode in the game aren't out until next month. Almost half a year since we paid our money, and at a point most of us have burned out on the game from playing the same limited content too much, will we get more real "new" content. Like they did with ARMS (which lost a lot of player base with the slow trickle) they're trying to use the dangling new content to keep relevant on socials and news cycles to keep new sales up, rather than to reward the players that jumped in day one.

I think anyone just jumping in now or for the holiday is going to have a much more favorable view of what they're doing right now since it seems like so much stuff than anyone who went through the obvious witholding of content in S1 in favor of S2 only to find it continue to be withheld for almost half a year in S2 as well.....but with the old content being presented to us as new in the same fashion. When Skatepark dropped is I think when I started getting genuinely disgruntled. They keep the drip feed so staggered, and when they finally gave us something, it felt same old same old within 5 minutes....because it is. They're clearly catering to the new customers that didn't buy a WiiU. On a business level that's understandable....but WiiU customers already extended a lot of benefit of doubt to Nintendo and we're not really being rewarded very well for that.

Like @Cyan said, it's not like we hate the game. There's a lot that's good about it. But there's also a lot that needs to be addressed and they seem to be ignoring it. And what makes that worse is that constantly pretending old things are new things week after week feels almost insulting. I will still be playing, moreso than cyan in fact....but it doesn't mean I can ignore they way they're handling it either. Where it gets frustrating is in addition to core problems with networking and matchmaking, what we saw with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a port of the WiiU game, with a little MORE content. We saw Pokken Tournament DX is a port of the WiiU game with a little MORE content. And then we see Splatoon 2, supposedly a sequel, not a port, with the PROMISE that it will at some point in time contain mostly new content to be a sequel, but what we got was a game that was mostly a port of the WiiU game, only with most of the existing content REMOVED only to be delivered slowly over a period of 4 months and counting mixed in with occasional actual new content.

That's the rub. Instead of the other two games they ported, they took this sequel and turned it into a soft second-launch of the first game, as though WiiU never existed before actually making the complete vision of the actual sequel. The only difference here between this and EA is they're not charging for the actual sequel content when they finally add it. For anyone buying in with Switch, this release is AWESOME. For anyone who played the first game heavily and trusted they'd treat us right with a sequel, the slap in the face stings.

It's not that we really dislike Splatoon 2 or aren't happy about the new content or are trying to drag anyone else down. It's all good stuff. But we're the folks that have seen it all and trusted their promises a few too many times, and only just now is the image becoming crystal clear that they are indeed treating this as though this is the first Splatoon and 1 did not exist, and that the trickle of what we already had as new is their intentional plan, to relaunch it all as new to new customers and they want us to play along which is getting harder to do. I mean you realize that 50% of what's in this update they announced, we could go boot our WiiU and play it all RIGHT NOW? Without having bought the sequel at all? An announcement of 3 new maps like its a big deal, after having so few maps, and two of them aren't actually new.....that's a bitter pill. The new mode is a big deal. That's exciting, but tempered by the fact it's the first actual new mode after 5 months of the "sequel." The fact that it's a common sentiment among veteran players who were initially very hyped should be sufficient evidence that they haven't been handling the rollout well. If this announcement were made a month ago this thread would be reading very different now. We'd all be hyped. It's a saltiness made by Nintendo misreading their customers. Even *JAPAN* is salty and indifferent at this point :P And Japan has always been treated better by Splatoon!

Like I said, I was never on board the "Splatoon 1.5" meme and argued against it. This patch despite the great things that ARE in it, finally convinced me the 1.5 crowd was right, at least for now. I do believe it will be a "full" sequel by the time they're done with updates. But after you wait long enough, you start becoming indifferent.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Award and Cyan did an outstanding job of saying most of what I was going to say. Thumbs up, my fellow grumps :P

That said, a couple points. If anyone actually thinks what's in this thread is "crapping all over the game", they need to go spend a couple weeks on GameFAQS. The grumblings of Award and Cyan and myself comes from a place of love, we complain about what's wrong because we want this game to be better than it is. There's a vast difference between "This game sucks and I hate it" and "New maps aren't exciting in the face of fundamental mechanical problems".

Also, you know, this IS the general discussion thread, and we've got as much right to be here as anyone else considering the grumping has been civil. People, Minkukel in particular... don't let us get you down, we shouldn't affect your fun because of our differing viewpoints, but at the same time, don't expect us to just go away because you don't want to hear it.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I know there is a lot of railing on Splatoon 2 and most of it I definitely agree with, but honestly I feel it of two rhings
1. IT honestly stands as a testament to how Splatoon got everything right.
It brought a unique genre to Nintendo worse cousel and became one of the most succssful game of the WiiU's history. It brought unique weapons, subs and specials, with maps and modes with all sort of different gimmicks that made each on stand out.

Now we have Splatoon 2, from a development perspective this is a entriely different game, they add all new specials, a few new subs and weapons, and a unique game mode in the form of Salmon Run.
However a lot of things do feel copy and pasted....WHY?

2. Simply put the problem has been the timeline, this is kinda like Mario party 5 vs 6. Splatoon came at a time when a lot of creative power was focused on it and in spite of the bugs it was an awesome and unique experience.

Splatoon 2 on the other hand has been in a state of creative stasis due to Nintendo focusing their creative development around Botw, and Mario Odyessy. Resulting in a slow pacing to weapons and a copy paste feeling towards some of the maps.
Plus leaks and frequent problems toward the meta have done nothing to improve these feelings either causing a lot impatience toward the devs as well

Personally though I still feel that this isn't a 1.5, because as long as a game is being updated it can continue to grow as it's own game, but it has simply been slowed and stunted other IP's,
Is it fair.?
...No it isn't but that is how it was handled

What we are seeing now though is with the release of these games and paid online, devs are refocusing their attention (thus the recent trailer of updates).
Consider me an optimist I do have hope that there will be more changes as we head into December and January that will change some of the feelings that we have had towards this game as of late

It will just require a little patience and some hope in the team that made this game so great

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom