Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Am I the only one who always sees "Loading Tweet" and never the actual content people are linking? Is that a setting I can change? Just bad internet? It makes these threads hard to follow!
Same happened to me for much of December and January on every browser and device I used. Then one day it sort of cleared up on its own. Weird.

But yeah, for now you may just want to load the tweets in a new page as Dess suggested.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
This look to be a big update to the game, can't wait to see how the new dulies play and their mechanics, it looks like a fun weapon to try and learn. Might even be good depending on how far you can roll and the damage/rng output of the weapon.
Plus I really hope there is some kind of easter egg for throwing a super clam into the basket (like a point tally or even some kind off confetti or something

[Splatoon x Space Jam mashup quietly fades in, getting louder.]

INKLING BOY: Huh? What could that noise b-

[A group of BASKETBALL SQUIDS armed with tetra dualies breaks down the wall and annihilates INKLING BOY’s entire squad.]
..the next game
Inkling Boy: hope not to see that again
(Sees 4 SJ markers as he hear a familiar tune)
Inkling boy: ...oh no
(Giant tidal wave of ink comes in at the crescendo) C'MON AND SLAM AND WELCOME TO THE JAM

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
So it sounds like Arowana is gone until the middle of the month due to a bug. Man, that sucks, it feels like it was just added. The bug must be a tough repair for a fix not to be shipped with tonight's update.

quick enjoy the game while Arowana's out of rotation

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Inb4 the tetra dualies are sub par at turfing and splatting, leading to dissapointment
I'm ready to join the tetra armada!

So it sounds like Arowana is gone until the middle of the month due to a bug.
D= NO!
this sucks

Last edited:

the

Inkling Commander
So it sounds like Arowana is gone until the middle of the month due to a bug. Man, that sucks, it feels like it was just added. The bug must be a tough repair for a fix not to be shipped with tonight's update.

I haven’t been able to catch it in rotation and now its getting taken out

This is fine

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well Tetra Dualies are... interesting! They have the same firerate as Dualie Squelchers, but less range (roughly the same as Glooga) which also means less painting, and they have pretty poor accuracy while the reticules are separated. It seems to be like the Glooga, where your best bet is to always be rolling during combat. Atleast the Tetra can shoot during the rolls and has 4 of them, but roll spamming can't be done mindlessly as this weapon isn't the most ink efficient, especially with Auto Bombs as it's sub. As with the Glooga, I'll be waiting for the alt kit before I really start using the weapon.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm noticing a lot of Tetra Dualies get a lot of kills...and I am having some trouble at times dealing with them. Seems like a less tricky weapon to handle than I had thought at first. I know that personally I'm gonna require some practice with them though. I was doing alright, but I didn't feel completely in control yet.

Also, I really feel like I'm playing in a Splatfest with how dark the new stage is. It's cool though, it's kind of a long shaped one, but with an open middle and mutliple ways to sneak into the opponent's territory. Pretty unique. And I love the jellyfish in the background bouncing a basketball.

Also, it would be cool if the other team featured in this stage would get their own gear you could use as well. They have a pretty cool logo.

Cyan

Inkling Commander

Arowana is returning on the 16th of March, and looking at the replies it’s a pretty big issue. If you dodge roll or use Splashdown in certain spots of the map the game believes you touched a death plane and you get instantly killed. I never came across it myself, but the devs have clearly deemed it necessary to remove it for 2 weeks. A shame, as it’s one of Splatoon 2’s best maps (alongside the likes of Manta Maria, MakoMart, Shellendorf, Port Mackerel and Blackbelly), and now we’re down by one. Can we spam Nintendo with complaints about Starfish Mainstage and get it perma-banned from public rotations? :p That is hands down the worst map, only works on Splat Zones really. On a slightly different note we now have 2.3.1, a patch that literally only chamges how clams and shots interact with open baskets.

I’ll leave these Twitter responses highlighting the current state of Arowana Mall:

And finally here’s a sneak peek at our next hellhole Shifty Station. For those of you who want Team Deathmatch you’ll be right at home, mid gets closed off at set times with an uninkable wall surrounding it. I know I’ll stay well away from that, this game is already so short range focused that being trapped with Sploosh and N-ZAP for god knows how long is not my idea of fun :p

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I like Goby Arena so far, Splat Zones was really fun there last night. I'm not sure why there are two inaccessible levels around spawn, with those two levels surrounded by a lot of unpaintable surfaces. It really forces everyone into the center, which is fun, but could make the map start to feel old/repetitive quicker. The grate walls are a fun dynamic though, especially as a way to avoid autobombs, and I really like the elevated "basket" platforms that bookend the central zone.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm just gonna go ahead and make a very premature prediction...but the Tetra Dualies are going to get nerfed. If you see how many people are already kicking butt with it this bad on release day, the day everybody is still figuring it out...that's a bad sign. I mean, it's got 4 dashes, shooting while dashing, good range, and when you shoot with one gun the precision is spot-on. It's simply a bit too easy in the hands of a capable player I think.
I like Goby Arena so far, Splat Zones was really fun there last night. I'm not sure why there are two inaccessible levels around spawn, with those two levels surrounded by a lot of unpaintable surfaces. It really forces everyone into the center, which is fun, but could make the map start to feel old/repetitive quicker.
I don't think that'll really happen. So far, I've seen plenty of moments where players could infiltrate the other team's base. In fact, there seems to be a good balance. Not everything happens in the middle, but it's not easy to completely destroy the other team either.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Okay I love the dark tetra dulies they are just plain and simple fun to play (no huge admiration for how goo-d they are this time) but I had a blast with them.
Though every time I see this inkling wavedashing rolling all I can think of is this (I am always rolling)

Last edited:

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I'm just gonna go ahead and make a very premature prediction...but the Tetra Dualies are going to get nerfed. If you see how many people are already kicking butt with it this bad on release day, the day everybody is still figuring it out...that's a bad sign. I mean, it's got 4 dashes, shooting while dashing, good range, and when you shoot with one gun the precision is spot-on. It's simply a bit too easy in the hands of a capable player I think.

I don't think that'll really happen. So far, I've seen plenty of moments where players could infiltrate the other team's base. In fact, there seems to be a good balance. Not everything happens in the middle, but it's not easy to completely destroy the other team either.
How deep into their base? Is there a way to reach the mid-level platform just below the spawn platform?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nerfed HOW exactly? You're ignoring that it has Aerospray accuracy without the fire rate at any time you're not rolling, and the dodge rolls (slides, really) are even slower than the gloogas, ensuring that you're an immobile target the second you run out of rolls. So you're either hideously inaccurate and slow-firing but mobile, or accurate but doomed to come to a complete stop. That's not a fun choice.

I and other friends have had vastly different experiences than you it seems, I've seen plenty of terrible Tetra players since launch. They're not as bad as the Gloogas because they can paint, but these weapons are teetering on the edge of the "unviable" category. They're far more likely to get buffed.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
You leave the Gloogas alone ya bully! xP

Ahem! Sadly, they slide more than roll but I still had fun with them. Not sure if the slides are slow as a Glooga roll or just short like a Dapple roll, but the end lag is horrendous. And not just after your four slides but anytime you stop sliding. Oddly enough, that lag can almost allow you to constantly scoot around.

Here's a quick clip of me managing six scoots on a nearly full tank, leaving me with just under half left. Two mains and two subs of ink saver main:

But yeah, it could use some actual accuracy when not sliding and lessening the slide end lag.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Reminder:
We got knee jerk reactions allll ova' daa shop
Give it a week, then we'll have some solid opinions not based off a bunch of scrubs (me included) swishing around like a bunch of toddlers in their first tricycle =3

. . .
That bein' said, MY knee jerk reaction!
+It turfs well (not better than nzap, but it is comparable/close to)
+Very mobile so long as you don't squander your 4 rolls
+Respectable range. It's hard to do but you can out-marth (keep at the tip of your range) n-zaps and splattershots. You will force them to back out, use their special, or stay and become an ink puddle.
+GOOD KIT! =D

-it is not the best at turfing, stuff like mini-splatlings 'n' n-zaps still can output more goo than you
-That roll end-lag can be death x_x for anyone looking to combat tetras, I highly advise to learn predicting their rolls and shoot 'em while they're rooted post roll
-Range is not the best: you're no splattershot pro, 96 gal, or heavy splatling. They will outrange you, the tetra doolee. If you're confident that their aim is bad though(and they're not a heavy splatling, that rng xP), some slightly skewed forward rolls should do the trick (just remember to keep it varied, because that endlag will splat you X_x;;).
-You're a weird mix of front line and support (again, much like nzap, but a touch heavier on the front line side). Your special, while a potent agression tool, will be out paced by very careful (or lucky xD) use of ink armor and/or brella shields by your opponents. Not to mention all the dang balsters who will shoot you right out of the sky like my hopes and dreams.

TLDR??? Dark Tetra is similar to glooga (so Dessgeega will automatically think it' i bad =P), just the tetra's sub-weapon is much (better / more aggressive) and the main weapon inks a bit better.
If you learn to not go too crazy/predictable with those rolls, and keep yer aim steady and true, I can see Tetra users going far.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
TLDR??? Dark Tetra is similar to glooga (so Dessgeega will automatically think it' i bad =P), just the tetra's sub-weapon is much (better / more aggressive) and the main weapon inks a bit better.
Related to this... I played a bit of the gloogalgalgas a few days ago, and I actually like the main weapon. They're a buff (and the alt kit) away from being really good when used in the right way. You can actually use the large spread of having two guns to your advantage by either sticking it to shorter range, more mobile weapons or attacking a group with another teammate (preferably a slosher or blaster -- something with splash damage). I don't think the dodge roll into a single stream aspect is there yet, which needs to be buffed, but the base gun is pretty cool.

The tetras... I think they're already pretty good. It's way too early to tell if they need buffed or nerfed, but the fact that I can't tell yet bodes well. It means they're not that far off either way (or they're exactly where they need to be). I agree that we need to give it a bit more time to really tell.

One thing I've noticed, and it's a big "no duh" thing, is that we, as a community, write off a lot of stuff before we figure out how we're actually supposed to use it. Case in point is bubbles and quick respawn. We should be trying to figure out how to use correctly what Nintendo gives us instead of getting mad that something a little different doesn't work how we want it to work. Sometimes a thing is actually terrible (tenta brella?) and sometimes it's just tragically misunderstood. Too often, we assume it's terrible when it's not. I'm guilty of this, and so are a lot of us.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
*yawn* When are they gonna start to add a feature to automatically boot the opposing team's players depending on how players disconnected on your team?

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
A problem that I have with the Tetras and the Gloogas is that you have to work way too hard for what would've been an easy kill for any other weapon, considering that you have to use your rolls for the weapon to be efficient. I tried the Tetras yesterday and it felt like I couldn't challenge anything with that abysmal kill time.
Though they are rather ink efficient and can paint pretty well, the kit wants you to go aggressive with a weapon that doesn't hold it's own very well in a fight. You can have interesting engagements, but if you didn't get the kill or disengaged after you're done with your rolls you're pretty much dead.

To me, that weapon goes into the ''it can do things, but cons > pros'' and ''wait for the other kit'' thing again.
I feel like the Sprinkler and the Splat Bomb Rush will be a much better fit for it considering one of its good traits is that it paints rather well, and this kit, just like the Neo Splash's, will be a good painting support weapon.

We should be trying to figure out how to use correctly what Nintendo gives us instead of getting mad that something a little different doesn't work how we want it to work. Sometimes a thing is actually terrible (tenta brella?) and sometimes it's just tragically misunderstood. Too often, we assume it's terrible when it's not. I'm guilty of this, and so are a lot of us.
That's exactly why people write off many things as ''bad'' and ''unviable''. You have to learn things in order to be efficient with said weapons, and again, the comp scene is mostly to blame here, since the mentality there is mostly to use the thing that requires the least amount of effort to get the most rewards x.x

And even then in a lot of scenarios, if one sees a person using a different ''non-meta'' weapon, like the Goo Tuber or an E-Liter or the Tenta Brella or any other weapon that is considered as ''trash'' there's way too many people who immediately discredit them and say that they're throwing the match only because they have the weapon equipped, even if they can hold their own pretty well with it. That turns many, many people away from using said weapons because it efficiently ruins the experience.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
A problem that I have with the Tetras and the Gloogas is that you have to work way too hard for what would've been an easy kill for any other weapon. . . That's exactly why people write off many things as ''bad'' and ''unviable''. You have to learn things in order to be efficient with said weapons, and again, the comp scene is mostly to blame here, since the mentality there is mostly to use the thing that requires the least amount of effort to get the most rewards x.x
You are becoming one of us

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom