Splatoon 2: Find Out What's Fresh! (General Discussion)

What are you most excited about for Splatoon 2?

• New Weapons

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • New Stages

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • New Specials

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • New Character Customization Options

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • New Modes

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • The Return of Old Stuff (Stages, Weapons, etc.)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • EVERYTHING!!!

Votes: 55 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
The Ballpoint Splatling (I though everybody was just calling it that out of laziness but that's apparentely its name) has kind of a unique rhythm going on. Basically, if you ever play the Mini Splatling you'll be able to play this one easily. Running some ISM on this basically turns this into a Mini Splatling offshoot.
As a Zimi main, I can confirm that it's very similar to the Mini Splatling's charge.
I still think the Mini is better.
I'm not so sure myself. I think the Ballpoint has to the potential to be way stronger than any of the other Splatlings: you can move faster than the Mini, but also have the range of the Hydra - the kit is pretty good too.

Of course, this is offset by its inconsistency and the learning curve associated with this gimmick.
For me, there's going to be a huge learning curve on how to get the rhythm going to be turfing at maximum power.
For anyone having trouble maintaining the short range charge, you should start recharging your shot as soon as you hear the click (you can pretty much tap ZR).

idk about the other weapons, but I'll probably wait for Explosher alt since the kit looks a bit pants. The new stage is alright, I like more than Mahi-Mahi, but not by much.
But who would win in a pure run speed foot race between the ballpoint and mini/zimi?
While charged or not? Because if so, then the Ballpoint has it in spades - if it can maintain the short charge. I switched between them both during my play session and the Ballpoint was faster. DUDE also just uploaded a video with a comparison of them both.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The 90 dmg thing I'm not a big fan of, but thankfully the thing's too slow to pull something like that off in a match. Except it can still happen by accident, of course.
You're gonna blame it on luck whenever it happens? That's a strange stance to take, it's really not that hard to do and should happen multiple times per match. I don't see what you mean by the weapon's slowness, tis all about your aim and angle. Aiming low close to the enemys feet, staying at max range, and seeking higher elevation are ways to help get them 90 dmg hits. I've done it plenty of times and have seen others do so aswell.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Playing the Explosher reminded me of the main reason why I dislike the Bubble Blower so much. Your teammates will just not leave the damn things alone! If I set my Bubbles up in anticipation of some opponents, and someone just pops them immediately, that just means I wasted a special.

Well, at least I get to use Special Power Up for once.

@Lonely_Dolphin Having messed around with it a bit more now, yeah, from up close you can definitely do it intentionally. I didn't think it would work like that, actually. It seems a bit cheap or something.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Thoughts on the Explosher:
It paints surprisingly well; the explosions are basically Burst Bombs as a main weapon in terms of painting, but better (and you should see what it does to walls.) Add Sprinkler to the mix, and you’re likely to get more than 5 Bubbles in a game.
The splash damage is INSANE. It’s basically a heavy Sloshing Machine, with bigger splash damage and longer range. You can splat squids you can’t even SEE with this thing.
...I have a terrible feeling a patch is coming soon.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I've been hoping for something like the Explosher--the range is excellent, and the explosion inks a large area. It's like a Jet Squelcher for people who can't aim. It's possibly the single worst weapon at close combat, but it's unequaled at long-range turf control. With the Sprinkler, it's also an excellent Bubble Blower weapon if that's your thing. It's weird and doesn't play like any other weapon, but it's certainly effective, and I can see it getting use in the anchor role.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Nah, that’s probably the Hydra.
...Or maybe the Dynamo? Now I want to make a thread for this.
No, not really. Hyrda while the charge is slow, if you can start firing, partial charge can still kill fast. Similar with the Dynamo, slow but if you can get the attack off, they're unlikely to survive since the large spread.

Explosher is both slow and probably won't kill unless you get off a double hit.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Worth mentioning is while Object Shredder doesn't change how many direct hits Explosher needs to pop an uncontested bubble, it does reduce the amount of AoE hits needed. Overall definitely worth using on this weapon me thinks!

Nah, that’s probably the Hydra.
...Or maybe the Dynamo? Now I want to make a thread for this.
A partial charge from the Hydra can kill quickly though only if you land your shots, and Dynamo has a unavoidable instant kill hitbox. With Explosher you're most likely gonna die before you can get off a second shot, definitely will before you can get a third.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
Bamboozler Mk. II + Special Charge Up + Special Power Up = Pure Chaos

the

Inkling Commander
I didnt have good wifi this weekend, so the only experience ive gotten with the new weaps is the test range. I’ve gotta say tho, I’m kinda hoping the alt for explosher has autobomb/splatbomb/suctionbomb rush, because the chaos it could cause with that AND its explosive mortar shots seems fun as all get-out

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
It begins.

The Squid vs. Octopus Splatfest has been announced globally for July 20th to July 21st on Splatoon 2's anniversary.

Honestly, I was hoping that it didn't have to come to race wars, but I guess practically everyone would be on Team Octopus and all the veterans would be on Team Squid because the people on each team are forced to play their respective species. Also, I love the Splatfest tees.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I knew they would eventually pick this bad theme, but this soon? This is 100% guaranteed to end in a Popularity win for Octolings and a Solo/Team win for Inklings.

Even if you don't have the Octo Expansion, you still play as Octolings if you pick team Octopus, so everyone who doesn't have the expansion will pick Octopus so they can play Octolings. It's also coming out shortly after the Octo Expansion came out so that people are still excited about playing as them, and probably just finished, or are still doing parts of, the expansion.

Anyway, I prefer Inklings, so I'm going team Squid.

Cephalobro

I prefer Octolings, but in actuality, I hate this Splatfest theme, it will feel like it will affect Splatoon 3 in a way and you know how many hated the fact that Callie was absent even after beating Octo Canyon until an update that added her next to Marie came out. I would really hate it if they didn't allow Octolings to be playable in the beginning of Splatoon 3 if Octopus lose.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I was anticipating this splatest over the last one we had. Octoling will obviously be the more popular pick, but I'm def going Inkling because I prefer them over the Octos. I personally couldn't care if this somehow affected Splat 3's production or whatever. Lemme be an Inkling and I'll be happy.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
The question is: is it last Splatfest?

They don't mention it... so I don't think it'll affect third game other than small mentions (e.g. Marie wishes having pineapple-free pizza from the future).
It would be stupid if popular Octoling pick loses and Octoling option get removed in next game. I don't think Nintendo will do that. Only last Splatfest'll do. Well, unless Nintendo decides to ignore it and makes original story that not influneced by last Splatfest.

Also, I'll miss this Splatfest because I'll going to holiday. Great.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I guess I throw in a bit of trivia.

Fun fact, this Splatfest theme actually isn't even new. Japan had this exact theme as their 6th Splatoon 1 Splatfest.

That aside, it's neat that they essentially giving people a free demo of the Octoling if they want. That being said, I'm still Team Inkling. There's a reason I'm still playing Inkling Boy even after I finished Octo Expansion, I just like the bowl cut look better.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm not choosing octopus for octoling. I'm choosing octopus for octopus because that's what they asked. Octopuses are way more interesting and intelligent than squid. (Although for the record I do feel like octolings better reflect my personality)

Also why would this be the last slpatfest? I thought they said they'd do splatfests for 2 years from launch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom