Splatoon 2 : The sequel ideas thread

How do you feel about thsee ideas

• Total voters

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
What I'd like to see is more involvement from Callie and Marie:
-They both reward you with a single sea snail for completing certain objectives per rotation like turfing 2000p of turf or dunking the fish 10 times
Yes please! :)

Sgo-J

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yulwei
That'd be 2000p in a single match don't want to make it too easy

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I don't think this has specifically been mentioned. In my own experience, I perform better in SZ and TC than RM, most of the time. There are loads of mode-specific strategies that need to be learned and different skill sets lend themselves to different modes. So my suggestion for a new feature is that Ranked Battles would do well to be separated into a Rank for each mode. I don't suggest that at any time, there should always be, say, 'Ranked: Splat Zones', 'Ranked: Tower Control' and 'Ranked: Rainmaker' (and whatever new modes are introduced) available to play, as that would cause too much server stress and also lead to dead lobbies. The rotation as it is is quite fine.

However, your record in one mode shouldn't affect your Rank in another. For example, one could be an A+ in SZ, an A- in TC, and a C in RM (because one just doesn't like the latter and stopped playing it after a relatively short time). I'm aware that some people, though of a high Rank, exclusively play two modes or even one because they either are less good at or simply dislike the other(s). This split Rank would, for one, give fairer credit to those who work at all modes, and also prevent you from having a bad time if, in the example above, you were A+ due to playing a lot of SZ and therefore were always outmatched when playing TC.

I admit that an issue that can arise here is simply that it takes ages to rise in multiple Ranks. I don't think that reducing the number of victories/losses between Ranks is a good solution to that, as it makes playing much more volatile. Not sure how to address it.

Last edited:

UBERU-5

Senpai in the sheets ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
NNID
SgtUBERUU
i like most of the stuff you placed. one of few problems though...
1- being able to watch a match "live" i wouldn't want that lol. maybe having a 20 second delay of the footage would be best.
2- 8v8 is kinda much...maybe a 5v5 or 6v6 would be more balanced.
3- custom gear sets will be difficult to balance, i...would actually think it's better to keep the rng base rolls or any other method.
4- custom ability sets is just asking for the most broken weapon sets known to squid. a bamboozler with burst bombs and a kraken special. huehue
5- voice chat is kinda a mix feeling for me. prefer that nintendo just makes the d-pad commands better.
-Exp, [ left d-pad: Danger/Watch out/ Careful ]
[ up d-pad: C'mon/Go/To me ]
[right d-pad: objective/Objective/OBJECTIVE!!! ]
[down d-pad: Booyah/Nice ]
make all those commands available during death time...please qwq

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
So my suggestion for a new feature is that Ranked Battles would do well to be separated into a Rank for each mode. [...]
This split Rank would, for one, give fairer credit to those who work at all modes, and also prevent you from having a bad time if, in the example above, you were A+ due to playing a lot of SZ and therefore were always outmatched when playing TC.

I admit that an issue that can arise here is simply that it takes ages to rise in multiple Ranks. I don't think that reducing the number of victories/losses between Ranks is a good solution to that, as it makes playing much more volatile. Not sure how to address it.
That's actually a great idea! I'm definitely better in RM and SZ than in TC. And I don't think it's a problem at all that it takes longer to rise in multiple ranks. If anything, this would be an improvement too because it gets harder to rise in all three of them and would also give you an additional sense of achievement.
Besides, it didn't take people that long to get into higher ranks, and the game isn't even a year old yet. So rising in three separate ranks shouldn't take that long at all.

5- voice chat is kinda a mix feeling for me. prefer that nintendo just makes the d-pad commands better.
-Exp, [ left d-pad: Danger/Watch out/ Careful ]
[ up d-pad: C'mon/Go/To me ]
[right d-pad: objective/Objective/OBJECTIVE!!! ]
[down d-pad: Booyah/Nice ]
make all those commands available during death time...please qwq
Yes please!

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
So, here's a little idea I came up with: In each Hero Mode level (save boss fights), there's a kettle hidden somewhere. Going into this kettle transports you to one of the multiplayer stages, with a squad of four Octolings. (Or some sort of challenge against Octolings) But the Octolings aren't mostly identical like they are usually. Instead, they're wearing their own equipment and even using some unofficial weapons, similar to how rollers used to be. Getting to the exit somewhere in the stage also rewards you with a scrap of paper detailing a part of Octolings' possessions that you just witnessed. (If you fought against a new weapon, you get plans for that weapon, if they wore a certain kind of clothing, it's that clothing, ect.) Bringing this to one of the shopkeepers will give them some new ideas and expand their lines a bit. In Ammo Knights, Sheldon might even discover new subs or specials that he wants to mix in with his current kits!

A couple ideas for some new benefits:
  • A hat-exclusive ability that lets you see an opponents main abilities when close enough. (could go on Octoling goggles, since it kind of fits that theme)
  • A special that summons a UFO to ride in. The UFO is like the Kraken and Bubbler in that it's a sort of invincibility, but it also has its pros and cons. It can travel over water in some areas (Arowana Mall and Mahi Mahi Resort), has a rather large size that could be used to block off some passages, and can fire lines of ink, but it moves rather slowly, and has to charge up its lasers.
  • This post has some pretty cool ideas, these are my ideas for how their gaeplay could work:
  • (based off of the first picture) Stomper: Able to push in a line like a brush, but moves slower. To attack, it stomps the ground or a wall, which also sends a decent amount of ink flying outwards. However, it cannot flick like a roller or brush.
  • Ink Pen: A charger that can also draw a line to move extremely fast. The line is too thin to actually swim in, though.
Story explanation: After DJ Octavio was lost, a new leader rose up in the Octolings. Since the Great Zapfish had ended so poorly, they motivate Octolings to instead work towards an alternate source of energy. After getting an okay start, they began to develop a culture less focused on war, leading to more creativity in their world. (Because they still live in the ruins, a lot of their creations are recycled, like the Bottle and Ink Pen) Some of them began to get a little curious and a little bolder and explore the upper world a bit, which is why the Hero is sent down to investigate.
The new kettles you drop into are actually Octolings just enjoying their own Ink Battle. They're mostly having a good time, but there's still a bit of hostility towards you.
The whole integration of some aspects of Octolings in the mainstream culture could pave the way for them joining the rest of the society.

It's really similar to the Amiibo unlocks, I know, but I tried to make this more of a secret to find, as well as make it more unique and integrated into the story.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, here's a little idea I came up with: In each Hero Mode level (save boss fights), there's a kettle hidden somewhere. Going into this kettle transports you to one of the multiplayer stages, with a squad of four Octolings. (Or some sort of challenge against Octolings) But the Octolings aren't mostly identical like they are usually. Instead, they're wearing their own equipment and even using some unofficial weapons, similar to how rollers used to be. Getting to the exit somewhere in the stage also rewards you with a scrap of paper detailing a part of Octolings' possessions that you just witnessed. (If you fought against a new weapon, you get plans for that weapon, if they wore a certain kind of clothing, it's that clothing, ect.) Bringing this to one of the shopkeepers will give them some new ideas and expand their lines a bit. In Ammo Knights, Sheldon might even discover new subs or specials that he wants to mix in with his current kits!
That'd be pretty neat, actually. Not sure if I'd have one in every level, though; seems like the number of unlocks would get a bit excessive after a while (to me, anyway). But if it means I can get my paws on an OctoCharger, I'm all for it.

I don't fancy myself a great story creator, but I do have a few things I'd like to see in the sequel's story. Mainly war: in my mind it's a battle for survival as the Octarians, on the verge of extinction, lash out against the xenophobic Inklings who don't want to lend a helping hand. But then, perhaps that's too edgy for its own good, so they'd have to dial up the zaniness factor. (Maybe an Octoling squad frees DJ Octavio, and he spends the second half of the story hamming it up and trying to flatten Inkopolis.)

Alternatively, go full Halo 2 and introduce the Cuttlings as a common enemy to both Inkling and Octarian. They emerge from the sea and being sacking Inkopolis. The Inklings bravely fight back, but can't get it done alone. This time it's they that reach out to the Octarians, who naturally refuse until the Cuttlings begin to sack their domes as well. They team up, kick the Cuttlings' collective *****, the Inklings and Octarians patch things up, THE END. Enjoy your playable Octolings. Even though we both know you'll instead divert your attention to clamoring for playable Cuttlings now...

...like I said, I'm not much for script writing. Then again I did just think these up as I went along.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
My own idea for Splat2n was to have a 3rd tribe, the Dolphin Tribe, come in as an invasive force that the Octolings and Inklings must cooperate to drive away.

Another idea was to have another tribe of Octolings from overseas that developed bigger and meaner Octoweapons, code-named Octo Gears.

NovaScienceNever

Senior Squid
My own idea for Splat2n was to have a 3rd tribe, the Dolphin Tribe, come in as an invasive force that the Octolings and Inklings must cooperate to drive away.

Another idea was to have another tribe of Octolings from overseas that developed bigger and meaner Octoweapons, code-named Octo Gears.
I don't know if the Inklings and Octolings can really be referred to as "tribes", after all, they've managed to nearly replicate present day human society.

But yeah, the most plausible storylines for the sequel are either 1. inklings and octolings have to fight some third race, or 2. some octarians are still super pissy about the great turf war and the loss of the great zapfish, and agent 3 has to fight them. I'm more for the latter.

In my mind it's a battle for survival as the Octarians, on the verge of extinction, lash out against the xenophobic Inklings who don't want to lend a helping hand. But then, perhaps that's too edgy for its own good, so they'd have to dial up the zaniness factor. (Maybe an Octoling squad frees DJ Octavio, and he spends the second half of the story hamming it up and trying to flatten Inkopolis.)
I hate when people try to make out inklings to be the villains and the octarians as innocent. It's too black and white and dissmisses stealing the Great Zapfish as a major crime.

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
I want some new gear.
The inksaw: a chainsaw with an ink blade. Maybe a variant that looks like a k12 saw

Inkhose: firefighting themed. Btw theres an actual firehose company called kraken

I think other species should be playable. Octolings obviously at the very least.

A special or sub thats ski, surf, or snowboard themed called an inkboard that allows you to skim over enemy ink.

Profession themed gear that allows foran additional 5% boost of all abilities if u have all the pieces. So a dr might have scrubs, keds, and a surgical mask. Primary abilities of faster ink refill +, run speed +, and
Defense + respectively. All primarys boosted 5% if u wear all 3. This allows for people going for a certain look to glean advantage from it.

Costume ideas for that are endless.

Maybe a 4th piece of gear. Im thinking hands. It can be anythig from oven mits to brass knuckles.

Whales need to show up as enemys in story mode. I imagine a whale attack on inkopolis being similar to Godzilla. This leads naturally to inkling mecha to fight the whales.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
How about a new, just-for-fun game mode? Call it, say, Special (bad name due to overlap with Special Weapons, but whatever); this will, like Ranked and TW, take place on two stages at a time (or possibly just one, some of the time) and have a quirky rule installed in every rotation, which would include things like "Rollers only".

The name of the mode of the hour would be succinct but one could access a comprehensive and precise description of the ruleset by pressing X, as with Ranked and TW. My suggestions for games include 1-minute flash TWs; games with automatically-appearing Beakons in certain areas; games in which everyone in the lobby shuffles their weapons; games with doubly-charging Special Weapons; generally, things that increase the pace of play compared to TWs but don't come with the pressure of Ranked.

Two potential issues. One: if it's too much fun, TW lobbies could become annoyingly slow to fill. Perhaps Special could generally yield less Cash so as to keep more incentive on the other mode. Two: if there are too many rulesets, it'll take a long time to see the same one twice, and utterly forever to get the same stage with the same special rules. Perhaps they could rotate a lot more frequently, up to every hour, just not being announced by the Squid Sisters every time they do.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
People already want a sequel? Splatoon hasn't even been out a year man
No one is saying it should come out soon, on the contrary, I think Splatoon can still go on for some while.
But it's a given that sooner or later there will be a Splatoon sequel for the next console. And it would be wise to make it a launch title (along other powerhouses like MK and Smash) to secure a good start for the next console.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I'd like to see some more emphasis on player statistics and history.

For example

- Total distance carried the tower in TC
- Total distance carried the Rainmaker in Rainmaker
- Amount of splats with certain weapons
- Most played map
- Least played map

Things like that.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd like to see more esoteric modes and some other stuff like that.

Parkour Mode/Obstacle course racing, Online Battle Dojo, Graffiti Mode (Tagging landmarks and/or painting pictures), Mock Octoweapon Duel (think REX vs RAY combat), that kind of thing.

shani

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
shani_ace
Not sure if it has been mentioned but I'd like to see some more emphasis on player statistics and history.

For example

- Total distance carried the tower in TC
- Total distance carried the Rainmaker in Rainmaker
- Amount of splats with certain weapons
- Most played map
- Least played map

Things like that.
Yeah and stuff like p inked with gear items and p inked on every single map.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
After Ranked Battles, in addition to K/D, each player has displayed "Distance [advanced with Rainmaker]", "Distance [ridden on Tower]" or "Zone/s inked [in p]", depending on what mode's on. For one, that could considerably remove the pressure to perform by K/D and reduce the amount of frustrating teammates who totally ignore the objective, as they'll get acknowledged for their defensive and/or kamikaze play as well. There are still a lot of other objective-focused ways to play, but most of those revolve around stopping opposing advances, which goes back to contributing to K/D, so that's sort of acknowledged already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom