• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2's tickrate is only 16Hz

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/
Splatoon 2’s online experience is considerably worse than the original game in quite a number of categories. The game runs 30% slower than Splatoon 1, meaning the metagame is going to be heavily skewed to favour high damage, low time-to-kill weapons. Adding to that, players have been drawn into the title by bold claims that later have proven to be absolute nonsense. Good online multiplayer networking plays a much larger role in enticing people to play at a competitive level. If Nintendo are dead set on making Splatoon 2 a competitive title, then they should focus their efforts to make dedicated servers possible in 2018. Dedicated servers would also bolster security and anti-cheat measures. Cheating online became a very big issue for the original game, so they would be doing themselves a huge favor.

The content in this new game is refreshing. By improving the networking, it would make this game truly something to get excited about. Until then, I’m going to be playing casually. Salmon Run, here we come.
A tickrate of only 16Hz is embarrassing—especially for a competitive online shooter. If Nintendo wants people to pay for online access, they better get the dedicated servers ready. Consumers have higher standards in 2017.

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Ridiculously low, I didn't even know they had FPS games are this low of a tick-rate. At least, not in this year. Even at a low price, they're gonna have to do a lot better if they expect me to pay them for online.. especially considering Steam is free and miles above everything Nintendo is offering right now.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I'm just hoping they do something about that issue before they start charging players for the online service, until then keeping Nintendo aware of this issue in hopes they do something about is the best think folks can do right now.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This comes to mind every time an opponent seemingly kills me in one hit. I can only hope Nintendo springs for servers, because this delay with the online service would really shoot them in the foot if they give people months to realize that THIS is what they'll be paying for. I imagine quite a few people would vote with their wallets right out the door. I know I would.

BloodWingdAngel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BloodWingedAngel
That's very low, especially since Splatoon 1's was faster. Though I have noticed it's not just Splatoon 2, I noticed Mario Kart 8 Deluxe seems to have internet connection issues as well. I just hope Nintendo get's their act together before paid services are released in 2018, cause the current service is unacceptable for that.

Kise Ryota

Inkster Jr.
Microsoft and SONY don't provide dedicated servers with their subscription service too. Therefore, Nintendo will be charging 66% less for a inferior service, which is fair.

I mean, I'm not defending this ****. I play on PC most of my time, I don't pay anything to Valve and I play in dedicated servers in all the games I play. Nintendo is the only one whom will have success forcing me to pay for this ****show. So yes, all three services are a terrible joke. I'm not even remotely thinking that Nintendo will be different (from the others) and use that money to pay for dedicated servers for their games.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
I knew Splatoon 2 felt just different than the first! It feels... slower it seems. Weird hit detections, weapons just feel different now despite having the same range as the original.

I knew something was screwy when I watched a roller super jump in and roll away while I was shooting his landing spot with a splattershot. He was not running with the super jump landing roll either. He just landed and rolled away in fast forward. I was very confused... :(

Padre

Pro Squid
This isnt THAT bad. Older online FPS games were similar on PC and nobody cared.

BloodWingdAngel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BloodWingedAngel
This isnt THAT bad. Older online FPS games were similar on PC and nobody cared.
Being 2017 and Nintendo wanting to turn Splatoon 2 into an e-spot makes this unacceptable, however. It's passable, defiantly, I mean we can all still play for sure, but you can defiantly feel how bad the connection is at 16Hz with certain weapons.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Nintendo won't be changing the tickrate. Switch is being touted as a home console you can take on the go and they've put emphasis on the idea of tethering your Switch to your phone as a portable hotspot and using the (very terrible) Switch Online App for communicating with friends. That plus increasing the tickrate will put many more people at risk of disconnecting, as not everywhere has great internet speeds or can afford the high costs of fibre broadband. Nintendo's main target will be the broader casual audience, and they won't want to alienate that to please the minority (which are competitive players). They aren't interested in eSports, as their NintendoVS Twitter says clearly that it's "social competitive gaming", so they'll probably have occasional competitive tournaments to advertise and promote their games like they did at this year's E3. Their online was never going to be worth the asking price as it's all Peer-to-Peer which is far cheaper than dedicated servers and has little impact on Ninty's outgoing costs. Increasing tickrate will fix some issues whilst adding more, more strain on people's internet connections puts higher risks of dropped packets, leading to more lag and spontaneously exploding halfway across the map as the game lumps the packets into the next data transmission.

I won't excuse Nintendo and their shoddy online, because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a broken mess online, but Splatoon 2 has been mostly an improvement and step up for me. There have still been laggy matches and players, but not even the best netcode and online will fix that. The tickrate being low is definitely causing some questionable splats where someone kills you in 1 or 2 hits when their weapon has a higher hit to kill requirement, and yes being killed from outside enemy range or behind cover still happens, but mostly the lag has cleared up since 1, which could be being masked by the low ping connection requirement making matches more or less regionals. But looking at the game from only the competitive viewpoint is totally unfair to the thousands of players who spent £50/$50 on this game and lose access to playing it because their connections can no longer handle the demand from a higher tickrate. I honestly don't think Nintendo cares for eSports, and they're only using it to fuel their own means of promoting their games. Besides, LAN play exists now and will be used for local events and tourneys, but the online will still be questionable at times. Just one of those things you'll have to deal with considering Nintendo's complete incompetence at online, hasn't improved in 10 years and that's shocking, but it is what it is. Maybe we can get through to them and slightly improve the tickrate, but it won't magically jump up too high for their fear of alienating their family and children audience.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nintendo won't be changing the tickrate. Switch is being touted as a home console you can take on the go and they've put emphasis on the idea of tethering your Switch to your phone as a portable hotspot and using the (very terrible) Switch Online App for communicating with friends. That plus increasing the tickrate will put many more people at risk of disconnecting, as not everywhere has great internet speeds or can afford the high costs of fibre broadband. Nintendo's main target will be the broader casual audience, and they won't want to alienate that to please the minority (which are competitive players). They aren't interested in eSports, as their NintendoVS Twitter says clearly that it's "social competitive gaming", so they'll probably have occasional competitive tournaments to advertise and promote their games like they did at this year's E3. Their online was never going to be worth the asking price as it's all Peer-to-Peer which is far cheaper than dedicated servers and has little impact on Ninty's outgoing costs. Increasing tickrate will fix some issues whilst adding more, more strain on people's internet connections puts higher risks of dropped packets, leading to more lag and spontaneously exploding halfway across the map as the game lumps the packets into the next data transmission.

I won't excuse Nintendo and their shoddy online, because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a broken mess online, but Splatoon 2 has been mostly an improvement and step up for me. There have still been laggy matches and players, but not even the best netcode and online will fix that. The tickrate being low is definitely causing some questionable splats where someone kills you in 1 or 2 hits when their weapon has a higher hit to kill requirement, and yes being killed from outside enemy range or behind cover still happens, but mostly the lag has cleared up since 1, which could be being masked by the low ping connection requirement making matches more or less regionals. But looking at the game from only the competitive viewpoint is totally unfair to the thousands of players who spent £50/$50 on this game and lose access to playing it because their connections can no longer handle the demand from a higher tickrate. I honestly don't think Nintendo cares for eSports, and they're only using it to fuel their own means of promoting their games. Besides, LAN play exists now and will be used for local events and tourneys, but the online will still be questionable at times. Just one of those things you'll have to deal with considering Nintendo's complete incompetence at online, hasn't improved in 10 years and that's shocking, but it is what it is. Maybe we can get through to them and slightly improve the tickrate, but it won't magically jump up too high for their fear of alienating their family and children audience.
You're probably right, and I kind of hate that.

Shady Shaymin

Inkling
Nintendo is wild because they'll release a summer's worth of online multiplayer games, make people start paying for online, and literally advertise their games in a competitive setting, but dudes will still be like

"guys nintendo's strengths have never been online, also think about the casuals"

I hate Nintendo jesus christ

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Microsoft and SONY don't provide dedicated servers with their subscription service too. Therefore, Nintendo will be charging 66% less for a inferior service, which is fair.

I mean, I'm not defending this ****. I play on PC most of my time, I don't pay anything to Valve and I play in dedicated servers in all the games I play. Nintendo is the only one whom will have success forcing me to pay for this ****show. So yes, all three services are a terrible joke. I'm not even remotely thinking that Nintendo will be different (from the others) and use that money to pay for dedicated servers for their games.
Its a shame really, they all act like they give the consumers such great service and in the end its nothing more like a peephole for whats possible already on pc.

Its disgusting.

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Well this explains why I get a million hitmarkers with a Splatling, but the enemy is still able to escape or splat me. Also makes Ink Armor even stronger than it normally is. AND this also explains why the Sting Ray is such flaming garbage, cos the game literally cannot register the hits fast enough...Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Why is this a thing. Why are they doing this?

BloodWingdAngel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BloodWingedAngel
Bumping it up to 20Hz might even help, while at the same time keeping the connection lower for casuals. Minecraft is 20 and my friends with crap internet can play it without too many issues, while at the same time seeing what I do on my connection no problem. I dunno though, networking isn't my specialty.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The real joke is, its not unplayable and sure it might be fun, but its a scam.
Video games have always been a scam to one degree or another. Whether it's DLC taken out of games to be sold separately today or intentionally difficuly quarter-munching arcade games yesterday, the customer's never gotten a truly fair shake in this industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom