• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Spyke's nightly escapades (or: the ordering system)

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
Ok if anyone would like to help, could you pay attention to the following: if you order a piece of gear twice, does it come the exact same way the second time? I am starting to suspect that it might be set.
This might be the case. I was trying to order a Jungle Hat with 3 Ink Saver (Sub)s from some Japanese player and every single day Spyke's had 0 subs unlocked. I'm now trying with Squiddiam's Blue Moto Boots and will report back if I always get the same result (one sub).

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
This might be the case. I was trying to order a Jungle Hat with 3 Ink Saver (Sub)s from some Japanese player and every single day Spyke's had 0 subs unlocked. I'm now trying with Squiddiam's Blue Moto Boots and will report back if I always get the same result (one sub).
When are you due to receive them Keeby? I'll be around today if you need to order them again.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
When are you due to receive them Keeby? I'll be around today if you need to order them again.
I already checked for today, the result was one run speed up. If I keep getting only one, it might point to subs being set. I guess it is alright if the subs are set provided you actually get at least one of the subs you wanted, since doubles of favored abilities have reasonable odds. It would be pretty expensive though... I guess Nintendo might not want people to keep ordering the same piece of gear since they wouldn't really be playing.

However, if I keep getting the same result for about a week or so, I can try ordering them again from you and see if that changes anything.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Only when the gear reaches your posession, do the slots become set.

Njok

Bouncer
Only when the gear reaches your posession, do the slots become set.
What?

Do you mean once you ordered it once, it will always come like the first time? Because that is indeed what i said too. And i am getting convinced of it more and more. Also this means that someone else might order the exact same gear from the same person but have different results. So it's set on the receiver's end.

It's still just speculation so if anyone can share their experience with this, please do so.

Edit: i just realized you are probably talking about locked slots that are set and yes you are correct. However we are talking about the amount of unlocked slots that Spykey-boy brings on an order.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
What?

Do you mean once you ordered it once, it will always come like the first time? Because that is indeed what i said too. And i am getting convinced of it more and more. Also this means that someone else might order the exact same gear from the same person but have different results. So it's set on the receiver's end.

It's still just speculation so if anyone can share their experience with this, please do so.

Edit: i just realized you are probably talking about locked slots that are set and yes you are correct. However we are talking about the amount of unlocked slots that Spykey-boy brings on an order.
If you mean to question whether or not the number of unlocked slots are set in stone when you order from the same person, I can definitely say they're not. I ordered from one player in particular for about a week and I got different results every time, (fairly) evenly distributed (0-2 slots) except for the exact match (all three slots). I repeated this with a few other players and I didn't notice any factors playing a role in ordering other than sheer luck.

KeebyKakes

Senior Squid
If you mean to question whether or not the number of unlocked slots are set in stone when you order from the same person, I can definitely say they're not. I ordered from one player in particular for about a week and I got different results every time, (fairly) evenly distributed (0-2 slots) except for the exact match (all three slots). I repeated this with a few other players and I didn't notice any factors playing a role in ordering other than sheer luck.
That's a relief.

Njok

Bouncer
Just to make sure, we are talking about ordering the exact same gear from the exact same player twice or more, right?

It's indeed a relief if you are sure it's not set. Thanks for that info!

Phobos

Inkling Commander
This isn't very helpful I'm afraid, but I thought it might be of interest: This is what the Prima guide says about the ordering system:
To obtain an order from Spyke, you must first place an order by interacting with one of the Inklings in the Plaza. If you see a piece of gear an Inkling has that you want, you can order an exact replica of the clothing, shoes, or headgear from Spyke—select the Order Gear option, then choose the gear you wish to order. The gear you select for your order will be an exact replica, with the same sub abilities. Or if you prefer, you can order a stripped-down version of the gear, with no unlocked sub abilities. You can place up to three orders at a time. However, the gear Spyke delivers the next day is randomized among your placed orders. So if you really want a piece of gear, only place one order at a time to avoid delays in delivery.
Now, obviously this information is false. But it's so false that it makes me wonder if the ordering system was changed shortly before release.

Njok

Bouncer
This isn't very helpful I'm afraid, but I thought it might be interest: This is what the Prima guide says about the ordering system:

Now, obviously this information is false. But it's so false that it makes me wonder if the ordering system was changed shortly before release.
Wow, yes that must be the case because this is not at all how it works! I suppose it has got to do with them not wanting people to obtain perfect gear to quick as that would take away the need for snails.

So basically only Nintendo knows. Well played Nintendo, but mark my words we will figure it out!

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Just to make sure, we are talking about ordering the exact same gear from the exact same player twice or more, right?

It's indeed a relief if you are sure it's not set. Thanks for that info!
Another scenario: Last week I ordered a Jungle Hat from the same player for three days straight. The first day was two slots unlocked, the second day had one slot unlocked, and the third day had two again.

Njok

Bouncer
I was told to share this hypothesis with this forum due to the great skills members have here. You'll see why that is relevant soon. But first, an early apology in case this is not the correct place for this post.

So Spyke has never given me any gear that had subabilities unlocked, as far as I can recall. I've seen on these boards from cursory googling to try to figure out these mechanics (and I have yet to see a definitive answer, so I apologize if this is all sorted out by now) that it is indeed possible to get unlocked subabilities on the gear Spyke sells. The people who this happens to insist it's pretty normal and others must be suffering terrible RNG to rarely get the unlocked gear.

I believe there has to be something more than terrible RNG to this. Dozens of Spyke orders, but none came with anything unlocked, until today.

I had hypothesized that a Hot Streak is necessary for the upgraded gear. My routine had usually been log in after midnight, check the shops for new gear, and get the order from Spyke. As you probably notice, one thing would be common in that routine - I'd have a hot streak of 0 at that point.

So today, I changed my pattern. I worked to get a +7.0 Hot Streak. Then I talked to Spyke. Lo and Behold, I get the fabled message that he has found gear exactly as I wanted!

It was a 1 star gear, with the initial order having all three slots, but only the first slot was rolled. Spyke offered me a single slot, that was pre-rolled. I've seen posts on here suggesting that you can buy gear that has more slots than stars, but I haven't had that luck thus far. (Might on August 5th.)

Anyhow, my reason for posting was to see if anybody else might think this hypothesis plausible, if they've tested it themselves in the past, or if they'd be willing to test it out and report back results.
I am testing this tonight for sure. If anyone wants to do the same, please!

@Exaskryz thank you for this, and let's hope you finally cracked that *sshole Spyke!

Edit: Ok guys i think i may have been to eager for a new theory. I read this as getting an exact copy of the gear when coming to Spyke with a vibe of "on fire". Sorry about that. i've gotten 1 or 2 subs many, many times and i always go to see Spyke first, before i start playing.

I'll still test it a bit though, and while i'm at it i'll test if ordering while On Fire makes any difference (would honestly make more sense), but don't expect miracles as i did :P

Last edited:

Exaskryz

Inkling
Yeah, it was just a 1/1 sub unlocked, as I happened to be ordering the last of the 1-star gear I needed to complete my collection. (One more headband coming in tomorrow, and I'll have every clothing in the game, for only a few hours before the 2.0.0 update drops.)

I'll have some more gear to order for the sixth and I'll try for some three star gear for the heck of it.

But if people are definitely able to get even partially pre-rolled gear with a hot streak of 0, I'm amazed, as I simply have never had that luck until I tried out my hypothesis. That's where the call for other people came from, maybe they'd see it as a way to increase the odds, or if they just had a habit.

But if indeed there is likely no difference, based on the months' experience other players have, that's fine to know as well to disprove my hypothesis.

Njok

Bouncer
Yeah, it was just a 1/1 sub unlocked, as I happened to be ordering the last of the 1-star gear I needed to complete my collection. (One more headband coming in tomorrow, and I'll have every clothing in the game, for only a few hours before the 2.0.0 update drops.)

I'll have some more gear to order for the sixth and I'll try for some three star gear for the heck of it.

But if people are definitely able to get even partially pre-rolled gear with a hot streak of 0, I'm amazed, as I simply have never had that luck until I tried out my hypothesis. That's where the call for other people came from, maybe they'd see it as a way to increase the odds, or if they just had a habit.

But if indeed there is likely no difference, based on the months' experience other players have, that's fine to know as well to disprove my hypothesis.
Well, it may of course give you a better chance if you order or go to pick it up when on a hot streak. This is something we don't know. But to be honest that would be really hard to test. You've got to do it many many many times in order to come to a reliable conclusion.

But like i said, i am still going to try it out regardless. Seeing as i've had absolutely no luck anyway, it can't hurt to try.

I've also started to just buy anything that Spyke comes up with, just to test if maybe he is more likely to find exact copies for "loyal customer". It's another long shot, but why not right? :P

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Ok, so I tried to use a strat that I saw earlier, rather than going straight to spyke I decided to get my hot streak up to at least 7 a.k.a so hawt. a.ka. on fire and this was what I got:

He said he couldn't quite get what I wanted but then I noticed he gave me a 1 star gear with two full slots covered so I'm wondering if this means anything

EDIT: This was on my alt account today, this is now the highest price i've had to pay for this condition, ever. @Njok

Last edited:

Arcadian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SpeedOfSloth
I built up a 9 win streak and went to see Spyke but all he had was one Ink Saver Sub on my Safari/Jungle hat. Will keep trying the win streak thing!

Njok

Bouncer
Ok, so I tried to use a strat that I saw earlier, rather than going straight to spyke I decided to get my hot streak up to at least 7 a.k.a so hawt. a.ka. on fire and this was what I got:

He said he couldn't quite get what I wanted but then I noticed he gave me a 1 star gear with two full slots covered so I'm wondering if this means anything

EDIT: This was on my alt account today, this is now the highest price i've had to pay for this condition, ever. @Njok
So close! Did you buy it?

Also thank you guys for testing!!

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Was not on "Fire" but I played a lot of Splat Zones today and mostly won them. I was on for about two hours. This was the exact item I ordered:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom