• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Spyke's nightly escapades (or: the ordering system)

Arcadian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SpeedOfSloth
Went with an 8.5 streak this time and got no secondary abilities at all on 3 star gear. Could just be getting unlucky, but so far I'm not seeing a massive improvement in my ordered gear with a win streak behind me!

Njok

Bouncer
Went with an 8.5 streak this time and got no secondary abilities at all on 3 star gear. Could just be getting unlucky, but so far I'm not seeing a massive improvement in my ordered gear with a win streak behind me!
This is unfortunate news that me and @SquiddiamFancyson can confirm :(

Got the On Fire streak twice when seeing Spyke but it did not go well...

Arcadian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SpeedOfSloth
This is unfortunate news that me and @SquiddiamFancyson can confirm :(

Got the On Fire streak twice when seeing Spyke but it did not go well...
I'll try anything at this point. I don't think I've ever had gear with all 3 secondary abilities that I've ordered and I've literally been ordering from Spyke every day for the past 3 weeks - the guy has a grudge against me I swear.

Njok

Bouncer
I'll try anything at this point. I don't think I've ever had gear with all 3 secondary abilities that I've ordered and I've literally been ordering from Spyke every day for the past 3 weeks - the guy has a grudge against me I swear.
Well i've decided to just buy anything he finds from now on and see if that does anything. It's based on absolutely nothing but yeah, like you said i'll try anything as well.

Arcadian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SpeedOfSloth
Well i've decided to just buy anything he finds from now on and see if that does anything. It's based on absolutely nothing but yeah, like you said i'll try anything as well.
What annoys me is how virtually every person I see in ranked has exactly the gear they want - I have no idea how they got it because the amount of gear I've ordered and the number or re-rolls I've done with no luck is unbelieveable. Maybe the update will improve Spyke in some way, we can only hope.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
What annoys me is how virtually every person I see in ranked has exactly the gear they want - I have no idea how they got it because the amount of gear I've ordered and the number or re-rolls I've done with no luck is unbelieveable. Maybe the update will improve Spyke in some way, we can only hope.
It primarily comes from getting the desired 2/3 sub slots from Spyke, unlocking the third slot in ranked battles, and then reverting to backed-up save files until the third slot is the desired sub-ability.

Njok

Bouncer
It primarily comes from getting the desired 2/3 sub slots from Spyke, unlocking the third slot in ranked battles, and then reverting to backed-up save files until the third slot is the desired sub-ability.
If i'm not mistaken, it has been confirmed that this is not possible. You'd always get the same third slot.

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
If i'm not mistaken, it has been confirmed that this is not possible. You'd always get the same third slot.
Like I mentioned earlier, the missing slots are random until you actually buy the gear from Spyke; only after receiving the gear do the slots become set in stone (regardless of the # of open and unlocked slots).

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
If you have the item already and you order someones gear. Purchasing it throws away your old one?

Njok

Bouncer
Like I mentioned earlier, the missing slots are random until you actually buy the gear from Spyke; only after receiving the gear do the slots become set in stone (regardless of the # of open and unlocked slots).
Ah ok, so backing the file up before you buy from Spyke. Sorry, didn't get that at first. Ok yeah, that makes sense.

If you have the item already and you order someones gear. Purchasing it throws away your old one?
Yes, it does.

Arcadian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SpeedOfSloth
Wait, so can someone explain to me how to back up the file and when to buy the gear? Would like to try it. Thanks

Njok

Bouncer
Wait, so can someone explain to me how to back up the file and when to buy the gear? Would like to try it. Thanks
You can back up your save files on a USB in the Wii U menu. The way i understand this, you go to Spyke to see what he has. If it's an item with 2 subs, you don't buy it yet but instead go to the menu to make a back up.

You then start the game back up and level up the gear until the 3rd slot comes. If it's not what you wanted, overwrite your current save file with the one from the back up. Go back to Spyke and do the whole thing again.

I'm not gonna do this but yeah, this should work indeed.

Edit: quite obvious, but you'll lose every thing else too when you restore the back up, so you'll probably wanna level it up in turf war.

Arcadian

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SpeedOfSloth
You can back up your save files on a USB in the Wii U menu. The way i understand this, you go to Spyke to see what he has. If it's an item with 2 subs, you don't buy it yet but instead go to the menu to make a back up.

You then start the game back up and level up the gear until the 3rd slot comes. If it's not what you wanted, overwrite your current save file with the one from the back up. Go back to Spyke and do the whole thing again.

I'm not gonna do this but yeah, this should work indeed.

Edit: quite obvious, but you'll lose every thing else too when you restore the back up, so you'll probably wanna level it up in turf war.
Sounds a bit too complicated and time consuming, I think I'll just try to get it naturally. Thanks though :)

aliendeallstar

Inkling
One theory just came into my mind reading this post: maybe we have higher chances of getting the gear we want (with the same 3 sub-abilities) if we order from someone who have done it themselves by evolving or rolling up with Spyke. I'm thinking that there may be people in our plaza that have bought the gear form other players and if we buy it from them we may have lower chances of getting the exact same gear... I may be tripping, but I think it may be a possibility.

Njok

Bouncer
One theory just came into my mind reading this post: maybe we have higher chances of getting the gear we want (with the same 3 sub-abilities) if we order from someone who have done it themselves by evolving or rolling up with Spyke. I'm thinking that there may be people in our plaza that have bought the gear form other players and if we buy it from them we may have lower chances of getting the exact same gear... I may be tripping, but I think it may be a possibility.
This is just a completely ridiculous idea. How do you even come up with this stuff?

Nah, i've actually posted the same idea earlier :D (i don't blame you for not reading the whole thread :P)

But it's just not easy to test it. You have to do it with a buddy because you obviously don't know if the random you order it from levelled it up or ordered it too

aliendeallstar

Inkling
This is just a completely ridiculous idea. How do you even come up with this stuff?

Nah, i've actually posted the same idea earlier :D (i don't blame you for not reading the whole thread :p)

But it's just not easy to test it. You have to do it with a buddy because you obviously don't know if the random you order it from levelled it up or ordered it too
Oh, sorry, I read the whole thread in a hurry for a solution to this problem and I think I've missed it! :oops:

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Haven't been much active in the forum lately because I was unable to play for a long time, just returning, I did a lot of ordering for my guides and it is really difficult to get all 3 subs, I have actually never got one :p

I can't add much aside from the same confirmation of a 1 star item coming with 2 subs. Also for 2 star gear with just one sub unlocked the price is 10k. I'll continue to try ordering and will pay more attention to the level of the player I'm ordering from, hopefully the added levels help with the chances of actually getting something better, as it is it is almost impossible to get exactly what you ordered.

Jearbear357

Inkling
NNID
Jearbear357
Which we had a actual percent and if it is base on level, then will we get better chances now, because of level 50.

Njok

Bouncer
BREAKING!

It was pointed out to me that someone on gamefaqs apparently found the odds on a Japanese wiki.

This is what my friend told me:

"If you're level 16+, for a gear that has 3 default slots, the odds are:
- 30 % chance of getting no sub ability (so it's the same as if you ordered from the shop, only the price differs)
- 60 % chance of getting the first sub ability
- 9.5 % chance of getting the first 2 sub abilities
- 0.5 % chance of getting all 3 sub abilities, so an exact copy

according to the Japanese wiki . I don't know what is their source, maybe there is an official strategy guide released in Japan."

Thanks to @SquiddiamFancyson for pointing this out to me.

HUGE thanks to the original post, which you will find here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72368988

Japanese wiki:

http://wikiwiki.jp/splatoon2ch/?%A5%AE%A5%A2

(Will edit this and OP to make it look nicer when i get behind a pc)

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
So i found this topic at gamefaqs the other day...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72368988

It mentions that, if you're level 16 the odds of you getting gear from spyke are:

- 30% of getting no sub ability at all
- 60% of getting one sub ability
- 9.5% of getting two sub abilities
- 0.5% chance of getting all 3 sub abilities

I'd take it with a grain of salt however, but it's nice that there are actual statistics out there.

EDIT: Damn, i got ninja'd

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom