• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squidboards Update #5 - Initial Launch of Groups

Hey everyone! We've got a bit of a late night update today in the form of groups.

This system will allow everyone to form groups for stuff like their dedicated Teams of 4, larger Squads or clans of friends, as well as discussion hubs for Regions or other topics.

As this is just the initial rollout, there may be a few quirks and such, so keep an eye out and let us know if anything seems off!

We hope this feature further strengthens the Squidboards community as we move towards the launch of Splatoon next weekend!

Warchamp7

Comments

I'm glad @Warchamp7 was able to put something together so fantastic as this. I hope everyone enjoys the new Groups feature, and please let us know if you have any feedback or problems with Groups back in the forums!
So This is like my thread but official and with social capabilities and some other tweaks and features? Is this the "More than just a board" one you mentioned earlier? Or there's more coming down the road?

Me and my Smash crew are already thinking about branching out to this game as well! I can't wait for August when group lobbying becomes available.

There seems to be an image resizing issue on the groups currently. The minimum logo size is 280x280 but it forces a resize to 286x286. Even if you upload a 286x286 image it still ends up resizing it for no reason (large loss of quality on images). I tried a lot of different image sizes and could never find a size that didn't distort the image. This was also an issue for cover images but I managed to find a sweet spot to stop it from forcing a resize (315x836). I'm guessing this was not intended based on the weird numbers. This issue probably has something to do with the screen resolution of the users screen or a simple coding issue forcing a resize.

Example: 280x280

becomes: Forced resize to 286x286 and quality loss

An issue I see with the current setup is that there isn't as much geographical organization to start. On Smashboards, we have what might be considered "Groups" here (Atl North, Atl South, Midwest, etc.). Each is a defined boundary by which I can know where to go to find more about where I live. Once I find my region, I go to find my subregion (usually state), and at this point the State thread redirects me to a city's or subregion's FB page.

In Squidboard's setup, I think it will be a bit harder to find what the appropriate Region is to join as more and more people add them. Alternatively, should one go to the Squad section? I made a Squad for my city/area, but would someone know to look for that? I don't personally want to take the responsibility (for various reasons) to create an Atl. South Region or a TN region where I can direct people to my or other city's Squad pages. In the meantime, I've been advertising the squad page in my local Smash FB page.

Also, when the update first came out, I thought it would be a forum section. It turns out that I had to go to groups to find everything, and then I found out that each group has a miniforum. Can there be a way to direct people to that with less confusion, or did I just miss something?

Those are a few thoughts I had on the current layout.

EDIT: I can't find a way to edit the tagline. Is there a way?

Can MK8 clans be transferred over as Splatoon groups? We've been planning to do this for both this game and Smash U. Would this be permitted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom