• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Stick vs. Gyro: Which is Better?

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I think I'll skip multiplayer for the first few days and just use Gyro for the story mode. I had preconceptions that my thumb couldn't be less accurate than a gyro, but I am starting to doubt that. I'll be back with my verdict a few days after the launch.
Wow... Someone took my plan.

ON TOPIC: I feel that through what every single review is saying gyroscope may be superior, because they might have a very slight amount of aim assist. However, we only played the game for three hours, and I cant really judge a control scheme by only three hours.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Personally I'm enjoying the gyro controls over the dual sticks. It did take a bit to get used to the gyro and stop just shooting the ground, but I think it will be the slightly quicker option at the same skill level.

Related: it would be nice to see a wii mote + nunchuck controller setup if they could make it work, it might get people who don't like gyro controls using something at least similar.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Wow... Someone took my plan.

ON TOPIC: I feel that through what every single review is saying gyroscope may be superior, because they might have a very slight amount of aim assist. However, we only played the game for three hours, and I cant really judge a control scheme by only three hours.
Except that there is no aim assist for either control scheme.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Gyro will always be better. It's inherently more flexible. But I also fully understand why some people don't like using it.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
I just can't get behind gyro. I tried but it doesn't feel natural and I find myself not paying attention to the screen.

I may use it occasionally though, in the same way I occasionally use motion controls for Mario Kart if I'm in the mood for a challenge.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Then it's impossible to control, with the camera flying all over. Gyro is just for twitch movements, you use gyro for larger movements.
Impossible to control? What do you mean? It's very easy to control if you know how. How do you think eSports happen for console games?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Impossible to control? What do you mean? It's very easy to control if you know how. How do you think eSports happen for console games?
You don't have to use a high sensitivity. I know that some esports players use lower sensitivity. You use what is most comfortable for you, and what best fits your style.

ChainALM

Senior Squid
NNID
ChainALM
During the Testfire, I never even realised you could turn the gyro off.
But that said, I never felt the need to. Even playing the game at 4am, the gyro felt intuitive.

I will probably, as luigisly said, use the single player campaign/amiibo missions to really get a feel for both and see which I prefer.
Though, I can see myself staying with gyro.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I greatly prefer using the gyro controls. It works out the best for me during the short period of time I've had my hands on the game. The gyro controls felt intuitive and responsive for me. Although, I can see why people would prefer the stick controls.

At the end of the day, use the controls that's the most comfortable for you to use.

RacattackForce

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RacattackForce
I prefer the gyro controls. They feel really comfortable and I've always been down for a bit of motion control in the titles I play.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I like the gyro because it's a really tasty snack that you can have on the go and...

Oh, wait

I like the gyro CONTROLS because I felt like I could react with my body better, if that makes sense. My eyes saw something above my character, so my hands moved the Gamepad that way instinctively. I might mess with the sensitivity, though, just because.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
With the size of shots for shooters and that most of them are medium to close range. I don't think players of shooter or roller will need to use Gyro controls. The increased accuracy that comes with gyro benefits players who use the charger weapons the most. Only the longest ranged shooter weapon may actually benefit much from gyro controls. But thats just my 2 cents.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
With the size of shots for shooters and that most of them are medium to close range. I don't think players of shooter or roller will need to use Gyro controls. The increased accuracy that comes with gyro benefits players who use the charger weapons the most. Only the longest ranged shooter weapon may actually benefit much from gyro controls. But thats just my 2 cents.
This is how I feel too. The gyros add a little more precision and faster/easier aiming for weapons like the splat charger. I tried the charger with sticks and aiming was tough.
I mostly used stick controls because it felt more comfortable, but I'm going to do practice with gyro and give it more of a chance. I don't want to rule out the charger weapons completely yet since I didn't feel comfortable using gyro controls. I don't think I'll main a charger though, I want the weapons that cover more ground than they do.

Sycho

Lurking in the Ink.
NNID
Sychotix23
Switch Friend Code
SW-5767-2138-7496
The Gyro controls where horrible for me just couldn't get the feel for it. I'm sure I'll try it again at some point but for now sticks is where I'm staying.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Like those who have played the game for hours, I must agree with them that The gyro is better for more specific aiming while stick should be used for broader movements.
There is no better way. It is a hybrid in the end that is the superior choice.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
It's all about comfort zone. We will play better with what we are most comfortable with, because that comfort will allow us to take all our mental resources away from the controls itself and focus it all entirely on the gameplay.
Well that's kind of true and kind of not. It's technically possible to become very good with any controller scheme, but certain schemes will have lower skill ceilings or will make it harder to achieve things near the top of the skill ceiling. There are often controller choices that are worth putting more time into learning to make you a better player.

That said, it seems like a lot of you sticks are using that "i felt more comfortable" argument. While that's an okay argument for why you personally might use that, I just wanted to remind you guys that we are talking strictly about a competitive level. comfort is not the most important thing. I mean it may play some part if made gyro unusable or something, but both options seem pretty viable, so learning either shouldn't be a problem. Basically I would like to see you guys really back your stuff up, why do you think gyro is better objectively? Why is it more precise, etc. :)

Chhipz

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Chhipz
Well that's kind of true and kind of not. It's technically possible to become very good with any controller scheme, but certain schemes will have lower skill ceilings or will make it harder to achieve things near the top of the skill ceiling. There are often controller choices that are worth putting more time into learning to make you a better player.

That said, it seems like a lot of you sticks are using that "i felt more comfortable" argument. While that's an okay argument for why you personally might use that, I just wanted to remind you guys that we are talking strictly about a competitive level. comfort is not the most important thing. I mean it may play some part if made gyro unusable or something, but both options seem pretty viable, so learning either shouldn't be a problem. Basically I would like to see you guys really back your stuff up, why do you think gyro is better objectively? Why is it more precise, etc. :)
I was speaking at the competitive level. There were plenty of MLG Halo pros that played a variety of controller schemes (Boxer, Bumper Jumper, Default, etc.) and sensitivity (most common ones being from 3-5, but many have gone 5+). Even in fighting games there are people who use the controllers instead of arcade pads at tournaments (such as EVO) and play at a high level. There are plenty of viable options, and most of them are just a mental game as to what works for someone better than something else.

If you're speaking of competitive advantage, then gyro controls has one because of its smoother transition from moving quickly to slowing down for precise aiming. With control sticks it's harder to make small adjustments with just your thumb since most people are accustomed to holding the stick from side to side at max distance. This in no way means a team of master gyro players would beat a team of master thumbstick players. At a competitive level they will be relatively equal with insignificant differences that will be more than compensated by the player's own skill.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom