• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Stick vs. Gyro: Which is Better?

StarHunter789

Pro Squid
NNID
Linestar777
As a person who doesn't play many FPS, I preferred the gyro controls over the two sticks only. For me, the aiming movement felt too rigid and choppy when only using the right stick to aim. But with the gyro controls (and the right stick for broader movements), it felt much more fluid and smooth to control.

However, I do think that I could learn to use the "right stick only" aiming for Splatoon if I changed the sensitivity and practiced with it more. With the limited time I had with the game though, I enjoyed, and had better precision, with the gyro controls on.

I found that using the -1/2 (the dot in between -1 and 0 on the negative side of the sensitivity slider) worked the best for me.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Yes, -2 with gyro.
Wow, I really don't know how you do. Do you use Y a lot ?
But still, at least +3.5 is the way to go for people who complain about having to do wide movements, like myself at first.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Wow, I really don't know how you do. Do you use Y a lot ?
But still, at least +3.5 is the way to go for people who complain about having to do wide movements, like myself at first.
I use the right stick a whole lot. In the first test-fire, I had my sensitivity at 3.0, and I couldn't really hit anything from a distance. So I kept experimenting. I found out that I was having troubles with anything above 0. So I lowered it. The default is -1 I believe. -2 was just right for me. Gives me that precision that I need. In just about every shooter that I played, I always kept my sensitivity low. It is just the way I am with these sort of things.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I assume people don't play with a high enough sensibility, for reasons.
When the sensibility is low (like the default -1), it can be tiring, or at least annoying, to move around your Gamepad for aiming.
Not using the right stick to move the camera is also a mistake, doing it with the gyro leaves you in an uncomfortable position and you have to recenter the Gamepad. You should do wide movements only as a reaction to shoot at people, or ink an area quickly.

4.0 sensibility is high enough to let you aim at all you can see on the screen only rotating your wrist, it also makes the right stick quite fast.
3.5 can do it, I did the whole solo campaign with that sensibility, before realizing afterwards that 4.0 was better for me since I move my arms less.
to build upon your point, the thing is about the gyro is that the sensitivity isn't an issue; you can move the gamepad across a smaller space to accurately follow a target, or do a fast, broad movement with it to quickly flick the camera. if you just use the right analog with a high sensitivity, sure you can turn around faster, but it makes following targets more difficult since you'll have to flick it a lot or just barely move it. i've really had no issue with the default sensitivity using gyro, but ymmv

making broad movements with the right analog and nuanced ones with the gyro will lead to the best results and substantially help with your deathmatch capabilities.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I'll probably be sticking with stick controls, just because Gears of War was the game I started in the competitive scene with, and loved the controls. A lower sensitivity and being able to reset the camera with Y really helps too.

While there may be qualms about "which is technically superior", playstyle and team work will always be the breadwinner of matches, not laser accuracy. Especially with a game that relies so heavily on map control, way more than other shooters.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I'll probably be sticking with stick controls, just because Gears of War was the game I started in the competitive scene with, and loved the controls. A lower sensitivity and being able to reset the camera with Y really helps too.

While there may be qualms about "which is technically superior", playstyle and team work will always be the breadwinner of matches, not laser accuracy. Especially with a game that relies so heavily on map control, way more than other shooters.
well getting frags is still very important, but if you feel that analog controls work better for you then you can work around the limitations of them i suppose

a quick thing to note is that y only resets the camera when you have the gyro enabled, however

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
well getting frags is still very important, but if you feel that analog controls work better for you then you can work around the limitations of them i suppose

a quick thing to note is that y only resets the camera when you have the gyro enabled, however
Really? Welp, time to update my Quick Turning post.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Really? Welp, time to update my Quick Turning post.
i'm pretty sure. the only reason it's in the game to begin with is to reset the gyro when it's gone awry and forgot where you are positionally to begin with, so it'd make sense.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
i'm pretty sure. the only reason it's in the game to begin with is to reset the gyro when it's gone awry and forgot where you are positionally to begin with, so it'd make sense.
No, I was using the Y button very often without gyro controls. It let's you do quick turn arounds. Was testing it in training during the Great Misfire of 2015.

joetext

Inkster Jr.
NNID
duncankeller
I really hope the full game has options to change sensitivity for Horizontal and Vertical axes separately. Horizontal felt way to sluggish, and vertical felt a bit squirly for me personally. Sticks is the most comfortable way for me to play, so I imagine I'll do that occasionally if they make the settings a bit more robust. I do like the gyro though, and I came to the conclusion that many did: To pump up sensitivity and use the stick for quick turn-arounds.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
No, I was using the Y button very often without gyro controls. It let's you do quick turn arounds. Was testing it in training during the Great Misfire of 2015.
oh my, really? i've been told that it only works with the gyro on, and i've never actually tried it with it off. my bad v_v

Box

Pro Squid
I really hope the full game has options to change sensitivity for Horizontal and Vertical axes separately. Horizontal felt way to sluggish, and vertical felt a bit squirly for me personally. Sticks is the most comfortable way for me to play, so I imagine I'll do that occasionally if they make the settings a bit more robust. I do like the gyro though, and I came to the conclusion that many did: To pump up sensitivity and use the stick for quick turn-arounds.
This is really the problem. At least in the testfire demo that I played, there are 4 types of inputs but only 1 dimension for adjusting sensitivity.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
with the sensitivity tweaked, the gyro feels more like like what i'm used to (a mouse) for aiming albeit with two hands haha. if i use sticks on my xbox 1 or ps4 for shooters, i have to crank UP the sensitivity and even then i never feel in absolute control.

i do wish i could plug in a mouse and keyboard and just play that way on the wii u for splatoon!

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
This is really the problem. At least in the testfire demo that I played, there are 4 types of inputs but only 1 dimension for adjusting sensitivity.
More options for sensitivity is a really good thing to have. It's one of the reasons I had a bit of trouble with the controls when I first played the Testfire.

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
As Apple BOOM said, 2d fighters have an option considered more viable. Even in smash bros, 99% of good players use GC controller because the number of buttons and thei placement allows for several more tech options. Most games have a better competitive option. There are people who break the mold, but they're rare because it's so much harder, and they only do so because they really like the comfort of the "inferior" controller or because that's all they can get their hands on.
A good example is a league player (not sure his name, only heard about this through a friend) who got very high level using a thumb roller mouse. People thought it may be better and he basically told them not to because even though he was good with tit it was clearly inferior competitively speaking and not worth learning since it would hurt people's game instead of help.
Tell that to Louffy who won Ultra Street Fighter 4 at EVO 2014 with a PS One controller. The largest Street Fighter tournament in history. It comes down to whatever you feel better playing with.

Viscaria

Inkling
NNID
Viscaria
I tried the Gyro for a while but my TV/motion bar is kinda at an awkward angle so it's hard to play with the gyro without sitting in an uncomfortable position. I might experiment with it a little more during story mode to see if I can get a better feel for it but for right now I like the analog stick controls.

Makkool

Inkling
NNID
Makkool
I think that I will go dual stick, simply because of the act that in heat of the moment I will probably get surprised and shake the controller, completely disorienting myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom