• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Stick vs. Gyro: Which is Better?

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I was speaking at the competitive level. There were plenty of MLG Halo pros that played a variety of controller schemes (Boxer, Bumper Jumper, Default, etc.) and sensitivity (most common ones being from 3-5, but many have gone 5+). Even in fighting games there are people who use the controllers instead of arcade pads at tournaments (such as EVO) and play at a high level. There are plenty of viable options, and most of them are just a mental game as to what works for someone better than something else.

If you're speaking of competitive advantage, then gyro controls has one because of its smoother transition from moving quickly to slowing down for precise aiming. With control sticks it's harder to make small adjustments with just your thumb since most people are accustomed to holding the stick from side to side at max distance. This in no way means a team of master gyro players would beat a team of master thumbstick players. At a competitive level they will be relatively equal with insignificant differences that will be more than compensated by the player's own skill.
We're in total agreement then. I know that there have been lots of competitive players who broke the mold, but they're still exceptions (at least for fighting games, don't know much about halo). Generally speaking it's considered better to learn with something like a fight pad.

sniper

Inkling
NNID
sniperpon
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and that I found very confusing with the gyroscope controls during the load test, was the fact that the one-to-one axis mapping paradigm that I'm used to was eschewed.
  • With a keyboard and mouse, the keyboard controls movement, while the mouse controls the camera. Both are one-to-one mapped.
  • With dual analog sticks, the left stick controls movement, while the right stick controls the camera. Both are one-to-one mapped.
  • With the gyroscope controls in Splatoon, the left analog stick controls movement, while the right stick and the gyroscope control the camera. The camera is two-to-one mapped!

My brain was having serious problems trying to reconcile that convention violation, to the point where I was struggling to enjoy myself until I disabled the motion controls via the menu.

I've played, and not had a problem with, probably dozens of games that have "center camera behind player" buttons-- is that not a violation of the one-to-one paradigm as well? But this was somehow different for me; it was like multi-player tackling the Plessie levels in Super Mario 3D World, except I felt like I was wrestling against myself!

That said, I am determined to re-train my brain when the full game ships; I think the finer aim of the gyroscope controls will prove advantageous.

D

Deleted member

I just wish Controller Pro with Gamepad near me could be an option. I prefer the comfort of the Controller Pro.

Indy Wolfy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
CheveyoWolf
I don't feel comfortable with gyro controls (possibly playing too much COD), but I agree gyro is good for splat charger, neutral with splattershot and splatterhsot jr, but stick is the way if you want to be a Rollerboy :P

Lochy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lochinator
I really need to test which i would prefer. But i remember using gyro during the testfire demo and it worked out fine. My decision may change when the game is released and i can get my hands on it. If splatoon were patched to use the gamecube controller (total pipe dream) then I would use the c stick to toggle where I'm aiming and the analog stick to move.

Lochy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lochinator
This was a discussion we were having in chat earlier. I, and some others I know of (@FunkyLobster) were always under the impression that gyro is superior, some interesting arguments were made in support of tick, such as stamina and small vs. large movements.
There doesn't seem to be much readily available "literature" on the subject, but @The Apple BOOM did link an interesting post on mouse vs stick, and it seems many of the points for mouse could be applied to gyro (although it is pretty long): http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/118355-controls-demystified/
Anyway would appreciate thoughts from either side on the subject.

Also a disclaimer before anyone goes on about it: this thread isn't supposed to find out what you "must" use, simply a discussion on what is seems (keyword) to be more (another keyword there) competitively viable.
This kind of reminds me of a tap jump vs x/y jump thread I saw on smashboards lol!

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
At least 4.0 sensibility with gyro is optimal in terms of stamina, accuracy and reactivity imo.
I put my elbow on my knees, and I just rotate my wrist to aim.
When I need to rotate the camera, I use the right stick.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
since this game has no aim assist and apparently no analog acceleration, aiming without the gyro is going to feel unnatural even if you're used to console shooters like cod or halo

the gyro presents to you nuanced control over your aim, since your camera moves at the exact same angle as your gamepad. if you wanted to move the camera slight distance you're going to have to slowly nudge your analog stick or flick it rapidly in that direction until it's there, and if you want to move it quickly, you can't really do that unless you turn up your sensitivity, which makes aiming in small angles more difficult

the gyro is just going to make your life a lot easier if you get used to it. it feels incredibly natural to have the camera move alongside your gamepad after a while and it'll make getting frags easy in comparison to just an analog setup. if you don't want to use it because you just don't like motion control that much, okay, but you're denying yourself an advantage

i'm pretty confident most competitive players will be using the gyro because of this

WydrA

Inkling Commander
At least 4.0 sensibility with gyro is optimal in terms of stamina, accuracy and reactivity imo.
I put my elbow on my knees, and I just rotate my wrist to aim.
When I need to rotate the camera, I use the right stick.
I really don't feel stamina is a problem here. You must have some weak as heck arms to not be able to hold the gamepad for a while. I also don't think shooters are intense enough to cause melee hands.

Flakk

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Magolorthegreat
I naturally move controllers around while i play games, and hate having to keep it in a weird postion. I'll be sticking with stick, even if gyro could possibly be stronger if mastered, i just think it would be better to imporve on other areas than changing my whole style of playing games just to be optimal.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
I assume people don't play with a high enough sensibility, for reasons.
When the sensibility is low (like the default -1), it can be tiring, or at least annoying, to move around your Gamepad for aiming.
Not using the right stick to move the camera is also a mistake, doing it with the gyro leaves you in an uncomfortable position and you have to recenter the Gamepad. You should do wide movements only as a reaction to shoot at people, or ink an area quickly.

4.0 sensibility is high enough to let you aim at all you can see on the screen only rotating your wrist, it also makes the right stick quite fast.
3.5 can do it, I did the whole solo campaign with that sensibility, before realizing afterwards that 4.0 was better for me since I move my arms less.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
When the sensibility is low (like the default -1), it can be tiring, or at least annoying, to move around your Gamepad for aiming.
Not using the right stick to move the camera is also a mistake, doing it with the gyro leaves you in an uncomfortable position and you have to recenter the Gamepad. You should do wide movements only as a reaction to shoot at people, or ink an area quickly.

4.0 sensibility is high enough to let you aim at all you can see on the screen only rotating your wrist, it also makes the right stick quite fast.
3.5 can do it, I did the whole solo campaign with that sensibility, before realizing afterwards that 4.0 was better for me since I move my arms less.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
From personal experience so far, the stick is worse then the gyro. Using the right stick feels waaaaaay too stiff no matter how much I mess with the sensitivity. But then again that isn't new, normally using a stick is pretty trash for these types of games. Better off using whatever alternative is available, a common example being a mouse.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus

Eh, I run the game just fine at -2. There is no "good" sensitivity. The best one is the one that works for you.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
From trying it the first time yesterday, I quickly switched to stick controls as that's just what I'm used to from previous shooters. I normally like stick controls, but I didn't get much of a chance to try motion controls so I'll see which I prefer when the full game is released.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Gyro gives the player more freedom of camera control, therefore I think it is safe to assume it will be better than sticks in the long run. That said, I think equaling the advantages of gyro to the advantage of kbm over controls is overstating it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom