Super Mario Maker

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
Will do. In fact, I just beat Spinning Ghost House. Strangely, the last part of the level is the easiest once I figured it out. Anyway, a comment and a star is there for you! :)
Congratulations and thanks! Will be tackling yours soon enough!

Trick(s) for practice: Tossing up, item juggling, and timing.

Note: Unless stated, do not jump when tossing your spring upward. This may get your spring stuck on the clouds.

1.) At the beginning, there's a spring to grab. Wait until the Bob-omb gets close to the hole and toss your spring up to get it across.
2.) There's a wider gap next. You'll toss the spring up once the Bob-omb is coming over and bounce it once. As soon as the spring drops, catch it quickly. Make a slight right and toss your spring up to bounce the Bob-Bomb a second time in order to clear the rest of the gap.
3.) There's a hidden block denoted by the coins. Just hit it with your spring and get the Bob-omb over by doing what you did in #1.
4.) Same as #3 but you need to bounce it twice like you did in #2.
5.) There are two hidden coin blocks that you need to get. Once revealed, toss your spring between each gap as the Bob-omb travels forward. The third gap, depending on your timing, will either need a single or a double bounce. You can always toss your spring the second time just to be careful as it won't affect your progress even if the Bob-omb cleared the third gap with one bounce.
6.) Jump and toss your spring right before the burner flames. This will send the Bob-omb to the top layer and you'll lose this spring in the process.
7.) The cannon will spit out a spring. You'll see a gap right above where the Bob-omb will be walking towards. Jump up and toss the spring up so it can clear the gap.
8.) Catch your spring when it comes down and start tossing your spring upward underneath the four giant enemies to the right. They must be done in order from left to right and if you fail to do so, your Bob-omb will turn to the wrong direction or it'll be squished.
9.) After you clear the way for the Bob-omb, stand under the next gap. There's an additional spring laid out and you should have two springs at your disposal at this point.
10.) Once the Bob-omb reaches the edge, you will bounce the Bob-omb over the large gap like you did in #2 but because you have two springs now, you'll cycle between both of them to keep the Bob-omb in the air. Juggle the springs and clear the Bob-omb over the gap.
11.) As soon as the Bob-omb clears the gap, grab one of your springs and rush forward. There are Red Koopas to get in your way but find the gap where the Bob-omb is going to run over and toss your spring up to clear the gap.
12.) Grab your spring and continue on. Be careful about the Red Koopas.
13.) The Bob-omb will reach a fairly large gap. Do what you did in #10 with the help of the additional spring laid out.
14.) Once the Bob-omb clears that gap, grab hold of a spring. You now need to jump and toss a spring upward over the gap to push the Bob-omb to the upper layer of clouds. Whether you lose the spring or not is fine.
15.) Carry either spring right as your Bob-omb is walking on the top clouds.
16.) You'll reach another spring and the Bob-omb should be on its way to the visible clouds. You will do what you did in #10 and #13 to clear the abnormally large gap by spring juggling. A very minor distraction will occur in the middle of juggling.
17.) Your Bob-omb must clear the minimum height at the end or it will reverse in direction. A nifty trick might be to jump and toss your spring up on the last juggle. If done correctly, the Bob-omb will make it over the stone wall and will walk towards the end.
18.) The fire will detonate the Bob-omb and open up the exit for you. Stack two springs and hop over the wall. Just watch out for the fire!
It's tricky to complete but it definitely won't take as long as the Koopa Protection Program. I don't think I want to put you or anyone else through something like that again...

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Wow @Pareto this one is all timing. Glad you worked hard on writing all of that. I'm working on it right now. The game's paused. I'll edit when I beat it. Then I'll go beat Kirby's level. I don't like having an unfinished job.

Last edit: That's enough for me tonight. I don't got the energy to keep trying Bob-omb Protection Program. It was extremely creative though. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Last edited:

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Oi, oi. I didn't realize there was a more active SMM thread!

I welcome anyone to try my (first) level! Be forewarned, this stage is most definitely not for beginners, and death is ASSURED!

SMB1 doesn't have many "techniques", per se, but the first segment of this level has 4 tight "curve jumps" right at the beginning. You can perform this by jumping up and inward, sometimes while holding down run to have more aerial movement.

I'll be sure to play anyone else's level that plays mine. Star for star, and comment for comment!

If you'd like, I can review your stage, as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
@Egregore That level is really hard. I didn't finish it, but I gave you a star. I have about 20 levels uploaded but you should only play a couple if you're up to it.

I'll star anything you guys make. If you put your code in this topic, you're guaranteed to get at least one star from me.
If it's too hard for me to properly finish, I'll still leave a star, but I may not flag it until I find the proper time.

Also, advanced techniques for the Mario newbies in case you run into a level in the 100 Mario Challenge that requires it or you play the levels here.

1. Mario can spin jump in the SMW and NSMBU themes by pressing R, this allows his to jump on enemies he normally can't like, Pirahna Plants, Chain Chomps, and Spinies. He's can't spin jump on Grinders, Munchers, or Spike Traps however so keep that in mind. Remember, Mario has to be spinning if you want him to jump on these.

2. In the SMW theme, Mario can pick up stuff like the SMB3 and NSMBU themes but he can also kick the item upwards by pressing up on your Dpad/Stick then releasing the grab button. Note that this is only for SMW, the mechanic doesn't work in any other theme.

3. Unlike Mario, Yoshi can jump and walk on Grinders, Munchers, and Spike Traps. The Goomba's Shoe can land on the same stuff as Yoshi. You can get an extra jump by pressing R while at the apex of your jump but you'll lose Yoshi/Goomba's Shoe in the progress.

4. The Giant Goomba's shoe allows you to ground pound while in the air and pressing down. When you land, ghostly dust clouds will release from your left and right. This will allow you defeat stuff Mario normally can't such as Munchers.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
@Egregore I spent about 20 minutes f***in' up the jumps onto and off the donut blocks, then gave up when I reached the door and died on the first jump after that. Good level though! Starred.

I saw you played Head In The Clouds while I was clearing my latest course to upload. What did you think of it?

I'll star pretty much anything I find in this thread as well (unless I forget to. I think it's happened.), though I can't guarantee I'll clear it (not that great at Mario).

I deleted Mario Maker Cup: Starman Hills because I'm not happy with it anymore. In its place is a Luigi level. Hope you like Boos! And shoes!
Luigi's Boo Busters: 9E6E-0000-0082-214B
For an additional challenge, try stomping all the Boos by the flagpole with only one shoe. I know it's doable, thouh I always get knocked out of my shoe after around 20 or 30 Boos.

I wish you could make things disappear into (harmless) Boos when approached in Mario Maker (like how that happens with pipes and goal flags in the newer games).

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
@ILikeKirbys Great level. Taking the Luigi concept and using the Goomba's Shoe to bust ghosts was fun! I've left a comment and a star for you. I also started following you and Emily. I finally figured out how that works. Oh yeah, I counted about 30 Boos the first time and then 27 again after realizing that was the exit.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
All right, I will attempt to finish the level that got wiped.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Great, here comes the block limit ruining my fun. Again.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
All right, same rules as last time, sorry if it's a bit sloppily done: EF0B-0000-0082-C326
Try to get all the 1-Ups!

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
@Egregore That level is really hard. I didn't finish it, but I gave you a star. I have about 20 levels uploaded but you should only play a couple if you're up to it.

I'll star anything you guys make. If you put your code in this topic, you're guaranteed to get at least one star from me.
If it's too hard for me to properly finish, I'll still leave a star, but I may not flag it until I find the proper time.

Also, advanced techniques for the Mario newbies in case you run into a level in the 100 Mario Challenge that requires it or you play the levels here.

1. Mario can spin jump in the SMW and NSMBU themes by pressing R, this allows his to jump on enemies he normally can't like, Pirahna Plants, Chain Chomps, and Spinies. He's can't spin jump on Grinders, Munchers, or Spike Traps however so keep that in mind. Remember, Mario has to be spinning if you want him to jump on these.

2. In the SMW theme, Mario can pick up stuff like the SMB3 and NSMBU themes but he can also kick the item upwards by pressing up on your Dpad/Stick then releasing the grab button. Note that this is only for SMW, the mechanic doesn't work in any other theme.

3. Unlike Mario, Yoshi can jump and walk on Grinders, Munchers, and Spike Traps. The Goomba's Shoe can land on the same stuff as Yoshi. You can get an extra jump by pressing R while at the apex of your jump but you'll lose Yoshi/Goomba's Shoe in the progress.

4. The Giant Goomba's shoe allows you to ground pound while in the air and pressing down. When you land, ghostly dust clouds will release from your left and right. This will allow you defeat stuff Mario normally can't such as Munchers.
Just wanted to let you know I uploaded a new level the other day ^w^
I'll post the code for everyone else later, too lazy to get onto my wii U right now, but wanted to mention it for those that have played one of mine and could get to it through played courses.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Just wanted to let you know I uploaded a new level the other day ^w^
I'll post the code for everyone else later, too lazy to get onto my wii U right now, but wanted to mention it for those that have played one of mine and could get to it through played courses.
EDIT: Fun level SkyBlue. I liked the shell ride at the end. I starred and commented on your level. I am also now following you if that's okay.

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I have two more levels today~

Hilltop Madness: 422F-0000-0081-7B55

Chili Pepper Blast: 45DF-0000-0084-0315
Those are really fun and traditional. Thanks Emily~!

@shy I noticed you played and starred my levels, thank you!

Edit: Here's a new level in case anyone is bored.

BC05-0000-0084-4367
Dark Villa (NSMBU): This level makes me dislike the block limit. I wanted it to make it more pleasing to the eye but the block limit stopped me on that. The actual level is kinda long-ish with a little Yoshi action at the end. If you want to go though some of the sections you may need to crouch run (press down while running) to get past certain parts.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
0D4B-0000-0086-5276
A level I made inspired by the song I had stuck in my head. I'll let y'all figure out what song on y'alls own :P
also I probably could've dedicated more of the stage to the lyrics, but I went more with the theme of the song's name.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I'm not going to be on for long since I'll be out for a while, but here are two more levels to enjoy.

Amazing Caverns: F9E0-0000-0087-7D55

Trick House: 09E7-0000-0087-9ABB

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
@SkyBlue I liked your level quite a bit. I didn't get the song reference though. Sorry about that! Anyway, I left a comment and gave you a star.

@Ink Gunner Emily Nice levels, the Trick House stumped me a little bit. I left a comments on both levels and starred both of them.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Might as well flog some of my best levels before I stop using this terrible site. More can be found here.

Dungeon Dash - (F23E-0000-0039-ACAD)

Frightening Flora - (CE49-0000-003D-C421)

Scaling Spook Tower - (16D8-0000-0059-9A81)

Coral Reef Madness - (368F-0000-005F-DBB6)

Cave of the Carnivores - (D0D0-0000-0069-32A9)

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
@SkyBlue Oh, it's a Katy Perry song. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a new SMB3 course. I'm really sad today, so I won't be writing about it.
Shellkick Cave
2DB9-0000-0089-9272

My mii is female again. Having a male mii is so not me.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Ah, I was wondering if there was a Mario Maker thread on here.

Allright, I've been totally freaking obsessed with the game since it came out, so I'll share some of mine. I use a somewhat traditional-ish design style, and I'm able to create challenging levels WITHOUT having to resort to things like Kaizo-style jumps, or only giving the player like half a mushroom throughout the whole level. You can expect plenty of ? blocks and powerups to be found in mine, as well as numerous secrets to be found, and pipes that actually go places (finding extra areas in pipes is a big part of the fun in a Mario level, I think), among other things. I usually put about 3 1-ups in hidden blocks around the level, simply as a challenge for those that like finding secrets (or for anyone playing the level in 100-Mario mode). They are in places I consider logical.

I do *not* do things like create towers of 20 enemies, or fill the level up with 30 ? blocks with 29 of them having enemies in them. I have some game design & level design experience that I've gotten over the years, so I'm doing my best to apply it to this. And I've been a fan of Mario games and platformers in general since I was a little kid. I want these levels to be fun whenever possible.

So let's get to it....

"Traditional Grasslands #1", 7893-0000-003B-8475

This is my highest rated level, with 54 stars as I write this. The name may be bloody stupid, but it is as it says: this is meant to be a Super Mario World level with a very traditional feel to it. The difficulty in this one is low. All sorts of powerups and hidden things to be found, and Yoshi makes an appearance as well. There is even a good use for the cape here, an item I think is very underused in many levels.

"The Helmet and the Shells", BC2D-0000-0054-B965

2nd rated level. This one is a good bit less linear and more complicated, shuffling you back and forth from the central cave, and the sub-zone, via pipes. There are numerous optional rooms and such that can be entered, usually containing an item of some sort, or something of that nature. This level, unlike the previous, uses more of SMM's new mechanics, such as the obvious use of the helmet, and doing strange things with winged Spinys. This is more difficult, and meant to be taken more slowly.

"Fly Through the Flagship!", FE7C-0000-0014-EDDC

This is the most "gimmicky" of my levels. I'm a huuuuuge fan of bullet-hell shmups, and I know *alot* about them. So my first inclination was to create a level focused on dodging intricate setups of cannons, while flying instead of grounded. Throughout nearly the entire thing, you use Lakitu's cloud. The cloud doesnt last forever, so there are ? blocks throughout the level that act as stations to replace your cloud with a new one. I tested and calibrated the heck outta this level... yes, I absolutely guarantee, it's possible to RELIABLY do the entire thing without ever taking a single hit. I dont post a level unless this is the case. This is an auto-scrolling level, and there is only one secret to be found here. Biggest tip: Take things sloooooow, and examine the cannon patterns before trying to pass them. Rushing is a mistake.

"Through the Depths", 6513-0000-001F-7C60

This was my second level I made, and an attempt at creating a somewhat traditional-style level for the very first of the Super Mario games, which also happens to be my absolute favorite of the entire series. Nothing too gimmicky here, thusly, aside from a couple of Mystery Mushrooms. It's not too hard, and again, there's plenty of stuff to find; it's once again meant to be more fun than challenging.

"The Adventures of Skinny Mario", 920F-0000-002D-1D5B

The name says it all, here. I just *had* to do this one, after unlocking the full use of that loopy item. You'll spend most of the level as "Skinny Mario", as that form is necessary to clear most areas; various pipes found in the level can be used to grab a new shroom if you take a hit from a baddie somewhere. Once again, I make good use of the sub-zone here, so the level is quite a bit longer than it will appear when you see the "map" of it. It is somewhat challenging. ....it's not actually MEANT to be though, but somehow it has an 8% clear rate...

"Stars and Spike Platforms", 0608-0000-0035-E31E

By far the shortest of all of my levels, this one plays very fast. Most of the stage is made entirely of spikes; there are three "star stations" found in the level where you get a star to become invincible and progress onward, which means that each section needs to be finished before the star runs out. The stars are the only items found here... lose them too soon, and it's all over! Pay attention to the coin trails, and move as fast as you can. This one is hard.

"Mansion of Unnecessary Doom", A4B9-0000-006B-75D3

THIS is an example of how I NORMALLY do things. I hold back ALOT in SMM... my normal style of design creates a very high level of difficulty. I mostly do this in LittleBigPlanet, where I'm known for creating bullet-hell style bosses (yes, in a platformer, and yes, they actually work), among other mechanical monstrosities. Well.... this isnt quite as difficult as those though, because one way or another, this is still a Mario game. You'll still find plenty of items and blocks to investigate, and secrets that might help you out. Take this one SLOWLY, and try to get every powerup you can. And yes, the section where Lakitu appears is always entirely dodgeable. Again, I made absolutely certain of this. There are a couple of ways to approach this section, but I'll not spoil them here. Be careful, take your time, and you can beat this level. And dont forget about the ghosts. And no, you cant wall-jump up the first vertical shaft. Looking at the map here with the X marks on it, at least a couple of people tried that for some baffling reason... I thought I made it rather clear NOT to do this... sigh.

So there we go, my levels. If anyone should take the time to have a go at them, please only star them if you think they deserve it; I'm not looking for hand-outs here. Any comments you might have about them are much appreciated.

Tomorrow I shall start playing through some of the levels in this thread myself as well! I leave stars and comments on anything I think is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom