• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The August update will hit 8/6 next Thursday!

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Is in Mario Kart 8.
Is not in Mario Kart 8.

Anyway I'm really hyped for this update, looks like I can't try random crap in A+ anymore though. Also did anyone else notice that 30 more levels are added and rerolling gear costs 30k? Maybe it's cost will go down 1k for every level up from 20.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
The only thing S rank brings is more money because there will never be enough for S rank lobbies until there are enough players up there so that there isnt only one lobby. And it's most likely going to be filled to the brim with Japanese players cause its still selling so much better there. So I welcome the sweet cash if I can maintain an S rank.

Pokes

Inkling
HYYPPPEE!!!

This update is ridiculously huge, I like that. Level 50 is sure a long way to get there, but there's new weapons along the way, so I don't really mind. Only 10 more days....

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
When companies listen/cater to the casuals who crave stuff they don't actually understand/care about. All the people who were clamoring for a level cap increase (even though absolutely pointless) got their wishes. New 'content' should not be a pointless grind. 50 levels to grind out will definitely alienate and turn away new players beyond that update. Welcome to nearly every MMORPG I've ever played!
They're listening to both sides though? I don't know where you got the idea that "casuals" are the only people that want a level cap increase. I don't think any new content should be unlocked after level 20 or so, but a higher level cap would be nice. And you assume that everyone hates grinding/farming.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
If the cream of the crop is getting into higher ranks, doesn't S Rank make getting to A+ easier?

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
They're listening to both sides though? I don't know where you got the idea that "casuals" are the only people that want a level cap increase. I don't think any new content should be unlocked after level 20 or so, but a higher level cap would be nice. And you assume that everyone hates grinding/farming.
it's a pointless grind though. levels serve no purpose in splatoon. so there's no incentive or reason to actually have to grind to 50.

and the casual population are the ones who pay for the game content more so than the harder core pvp communities in past mmos that's why i bothered to type that. but causal players dictate a lot without knowing what they are asking for.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
When companies listen/cater to the casuals who crave stuff they don't actually understand/care about. All the people who were clamoring for a level cap increase (even though absolutely pointless) got their wishes. New 'content' should not be a pointless grind. 50 levels to grind out will definitely alienate and turn away new players beyond that update. Welcome to nearly every MMORPG I've ever played!
Good, I like it this way.

causal players dictate a lot without knowing what they are asking for.
Sadly, I don't understand it myself.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I'm confused as to what constitutes live spectating then, 'cause every time I'm on MK8, waiting to get into a lobby, I spectate other people's races... live.
And you think spectating random lobbies of random players only until there is space for you to race counts as a live spectating mode? There is no spectating in friend rooms which is what the competitive community uses for matches, before throwing your sarcasm everywhere please know what you are talking about.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
And you think spectating random lobbies of random players only until there is space for you to race counts as a live spectating mode? There is no spectating in friend rooms which is what the competitive community uses for matches, before throwing your sarcasm everywhere please know what you are talking about.
? Reading this conversation and I'm confused. So, what would you call that little bit of watching random players races while waiting for a slot to join if not live spectator? Though I understand your talking about watching a friends match as well which isn't in MK8, but that doesn't mean that there isn't live spectating. Just not the exact feature that you want.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Good, I like it this way.
You WANT people to be turned away from Splatoon? Why? And please don't say because you don't want to be teamed up with newbies in turf war.

Also, zmop, even if levels don't do anything (except match you up with others similar to your level in turf war if it is possible for them to connect with the others), they still provide a mental incentive. They provide a goal that drives people to keep playing to rack up points. Plus, it's not pointless grinding when you're playing the main attraction of the game anyways, which is the point of getting the game in the first place.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
it's a pointless grind though. levels serve no purpose in splatoon. so there's no incentive or reason to actually have to grind to 50.

and the casual population are the ones who pay for the game content more so than the harder core pvp communities in past mmos that's why i bothered to type that. but causal players dictate a lot without knowing what they are asking for.
You can't utilize spyke's expensive service until lvl 20. And higher levels mean more weapons/gear. Who knows, we may get 4 star gear (I doubt they'd make gear with more slots than we can already get, but I can see 4-5 star gear having even higher chances of getting certain subs. Like firefin on 3 star being 5x likely for sub weapon saver, and 4 star of it being 7-10x likely, etcetc.)

Geez the weapons you unlock at 50 are probably going to be brutal T.T

Edit: I would love it if level 50 made you so freshing freaking cool that spyke would lower his prices.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
? Reading this conversation and I'm confused. So, what would you call that little bit of watching random players races while waiting for a slot to join if not live spectator? Though I understand your talking about watching a friends match as well which isn't in MK8, but that doesn't mean that there isn't live spectating. Just not the exact feature that you want.
My point was it isn't a mode because you can't choose to do it, and it only exists in random WWs. Therefore it is useless for anything competitive or casual. Saying that being able to randomly spectate random worldwide races until you get in the race, and that that counts as a spectating mode is just a ******** response to the real concern people have for a real spectator mode that actual solves some problems and improves competitive/casual QOL.

Sol64

The game will die out a lot easier without new blood to pump into it. I'd rather Splatoon be more of a success that keeps getting built on, thanks.
>Assuming I wanted this game to die out, I never said anything of the sort. What I meant was that i'd much prefer bad people going away and the ones that are good will still be playing. This mostly pertains to ranked mode. The last thing I want is people constantly being dumb in doing anything other than the objectives.

You WANT people to be turned away from Splatoon? Why? And please don't say because you don't want to be teamed up with newbies in turf war.
Ranked mode*

That said, I don't have to worry about those people anyway, those who are lower leveled rarely get paired with those who are higher leveled.
And those who are bad in turf wars will stop playing anyway, the problem will sort itself out.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
You can't utilize spyke's expensive service until lvl 20. And higher levels mean more weapons/gear. Who knows, we may get 4 star gear (I doubt they'd make gear with more slots than we can already get, but I can see 4-5 star gear having even higher chances of getting certain subs. Like firefin on 3 star being 5x likely for sub weapon saver, and 4 star of it being 7-10x likely, etcetc.)

Geez the weapons you unlock at 50 are probably going to be brutal T.T

Edit: I would love it if level 50 made you so freshing freaking cool that spyke would lower his prices.
Spyke is not incentive enough to keep tacking on levels to the game. He's a glorified RNG NPC. He'd be totally worth the grind if the odds of getting what you ordered/rolled were absolute but that will never be something I concern myself with as I understand his purpose. Furthermore, has anyone put any thought into whether Nintendo will not allow us to access him again till we hit 50? Not that I know anything about what Nintendo's plans for Spyke while we grind, but we couldn't access him till we were 20. I won't really care as i will just take that 30 to collect some serious coin.

It would be wonderful if at 50 Nintendo lowered Spykes cost for whatever you order, reroll. But i'm sure that won't be the case. At least I'd be surprised if it were to be that way.

I grinded out 2 separate 20's. I just deleted my alt acct because I won't grind it to 50 as well as my main acct.

Sol64

The pool is hardly small that I would face the same people again and again consistently.

Anyway, you're taking my words and making it out as if I hate the game or something.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
My point was it isn't a mode because you can't choose to do it, and it only exists in random WWs. Therefore it is useless for anything competitive or casual. Saying that being able to randomly spectate random worldwide races until you get in the race, and that that counts as a spectating mode is just a ******** response to the real concern people have for a real spectator mode that actual solves some problems and improves competitive/casual QOL.
Calm your ****, I legitimately couldn't tell that's what you were asking for, and yeah, what's in Mario Kart 8 counts as live spectating despite your precious picky princess standards.

And what you're asking for actually shouldn't be implemented, because improving competitive QOL would boil down to having a person scout out the opposing team and give the spectating team an unfair advantage. Being able to spectate your friends would be cool for reasons other than the competitive cheating you're whinging about though, but they'd have to find some way that you can only spectate the members of your friend's team.

And if people are expected to go to third-party programs for voice chat, they can settle with streaming for spectating their friends.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Assuming I wanted this game to die out. I never sad anything of the sort. What I meant was that i'd much prefer bad people going away and the ones that are good will still be playing. This mostly pertains to ranked mode. The last thing I want is people constantly being dumb in doing anything other than the objectives.

Ranked mode*

That said, I don't have to worry about those people anyway.
And those who are bad in turf wars will stop playing anyway, the problem will sort itself out.
Your signature points out that you are an A+ in ranked battles. You're always going to be teamed up with other A-rank players, and not newbies. That's why I said turf war.

And this game is supposed to be fun for everyone, not cater towards hardcore players only. Of course there will be newbies playing the game, because there ARE non-competitive people out there who play games to have fun, even if they are bad at the games, which is completely acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom