The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
I have been thinking about better ways to use it rather than hanging in the back and just targeting as many players as I can. Here's a few things I thought of:

Aggression: Use it to take out a specific player or two players. You see someone swimming towards you, use Tenta Missiles on them to give you an edge in taking them out. I was sometimes able to target someone with Tenta Missiles, then use a Burst Bomb on them to trap them and leave 'em to get bombarded. Of course doing this is very dangerous, since you won't be too far away from your opponent. If you can target just one player, it might be best to do that, since it doesn't take very long at all to fire missiles at one person.

Seeking: Use it to find players, kinda like a mini Echolocator. Instead of hoping for splats, use it to see if someone is trying to ambush you or a teammate. It seems really helpful for the Jet Squelcher or Bamboozler in this fashion. Make players easier to hit with that big marker on them.

Forced relocation: This is helpful in Tower Control, and probably good with the Slosher, since it's often used as a Tower Control weapon. Try to use it to force people off the Tower, and do your Slosher shenanigans with your teammates. Also helpful against Chargers, or to leave a Splatling helpless for a bit (only recently thought of this).

Of course I only thought of these things. I haven't actually practiced them. I hope to when I start playing again. Maybe a better player has a better opinion on these things. At the very least, in theory the Tenta Missiles have their uses. My most used weapon uses Tenta Missiles, so I wanna make the best of them.
I still SJ back to spawn to deploy mine (and booyah every time, yes I'm That Guy). Doesn't matter much that people can outswim them because hey, I can do that too unless I'm dumb or in a tight spot. Or one of my teamos is dumb and/or trying to get me splatted...
I'm pretty sure at this point what my missiles do when they don't strike people is either flush them out of where they're trying to shark or at least cause them a moment of panic in trying to escape, which would be beneficial if they're being hosed by the rest of my team =p

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I still SJ back to spawn to deploy mine (and booyah every time, yes I'm That Guy). Doesn't matter much that people can outswim them because hey, I can do that too unless I'm dumb or in a tight spot. Or one of my teamos is dumb and/or trying to get me splatted...
I'm pretty sure at this point what my missiles do when they don't strike people is either flush them out of where they're trying to shark or at least cause them a moment of panic in trying to escape, which would be beneficial if they're being hosed by the rest of my team =p
That is the idea behind the missiles. They aren't intended to be used for sake of splats (however much fun it is to unleash the missiles and somehow get three splats with them). Their uses are mostly for flushing out the enemy and tracking. Your teammates can see where the missiles are going to hit so it makes sense to use them as a sort of poor man's Echolocator. You just have to take cover before firing them off. I prefer not to jump back to spawn as then it takes too long to get back into the action unless you Super Jump back, but that puts you at risk of being picked off as you land.

"Well why don't you just Super Jump to a teammate who isn't in danger?"

Gee, hypothetical straw man voice, you sure like to talk a lot, don't you? I have still been splatted Super Jumping to an ally in the clear only to find out about the Charger with a bead on that position in mid jump. Perhaps I'm just unlucky. Whatever the case may be, I find it a better proposition to fall back a bit behind cover, shoot my missiles, and then rejoin the fight afterwards. Basically, I treat it a lot like I used to the treat the Ink Strike in S1. Personal preference, but it works all the same for me.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Personal preference indeed. I tend to jump to spawn with Tenta Missiles if I know I'll be splatted otherwise or I'm at a poor location for a good lock-on.

As for other special super jumping, I figured out a third method for Splashdown super jumping. There's already the normal method of just activating it during your jump, and the second method of activating it before/early in the jump that leaves you careening in like a meteor. Both of these produce splashdown warning rings ahead of your landing. The third method is activating splashdown just before your feet hit the ground, letting you bait someone to the very end.

*cackles*

Still need to test it more, but I think you might be able to counter this with a well-timed bomb as a jumper could be vulnerable to damage just before their feet touch the ground.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The key to the Tentas imho is the closer the better. Easier said than done I know. I tend to spawn jump before I launch but if you can do it close to your targets it gives them a lot less time to evade.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I want to share a thought I've had, and since it's negative this is the place to do it. Might be slightly redundant cause I've already discussed this with a bunch of friends, hah, but more discussion would be good.

Is Splatoon 2 even going to survive for another year? Nintendo's paid online looms closely enough for it be a concern at this point. If they charge money for the cruddy 16hz peer-to-peer connections we have now, I can readily imagine players of all skill levels voting with their wallets right out the door. Dedicated servers would be great if they happen, but there is the very real possibility the game's current state is what it will be for the duration. It already seems like the playerbase is dwindling somewhat on the casual side, particularly in the EU section, losing the folks who rightfully don't want to pay to play will seriously wound the game's lifespan.

It's been a week since I burnt out, and my feelings on the game haven't changed. Almost feels like it'd be a gamble to really invest in this game. "Okay! I spent hundreds getting a streaming set-up! I joined the competitive scene! Time to get serious!! Why won't the lobby ever fill up?"

Foxtrot

Full Squid
I want to share a thought I've had, and since it's negative this is the place to do it. Might be slightly redundant cause I've already discussed this with a bunch of friends, hah, but more discussion would be good.

Is Splatoon 2 even going to survive for another year? Nintendo's paid online looms closely enough for it be a concern at this point. If they charge money for the cruddy 16hz peer-to-peer connections we have now, I can readily imagine players of all skill levels voting with their wallets right out the door. Dedicated servers would be great if they happen, but there is the very real possibility the game's current state is what it will be for the duration. It already seems like the playerbase is dwindling somewhat on the casual side, particularly in the EU section, losing the folks who rightfully don't want to pay to play will seriously wound the game's lifespan.

It's been a week since I burnt out, and my feelings on the game haven't changed. Almost feels like it'd be a gamble to really invest in this game. "Okay! I spent hundreds getting a streaming set-up! I joined the competitive scene! Time to get serious!! Why won't the lobby ever fill up?"
Iirc the Switch's paid internet service is going to be a one time fee yearly. along with that its only going to be $30 or less according to Nintendo of Japan. When you consider that Nintendo is bound to update the Switch from that of "A dedicated Gaming console" to a more Multimedia platform like XBone/Ps4 I'm sure a good userbase will shell it out for that alone.Hell Nintendo have also mentioned once before that much like its competition they will be giving out Classic Nintendo games for free with the service which again should draw in even more of the Spla2n playerbase to get the service.

While I understand your fears of the game not lasting due to a playerbase drop, I think despite everything it will carry on. Dedicated servers arent likely, but those who enjoy Spla2n will stick around despite this. I wont be surprised if a huge player base drop happens in the EU simply due to the wait times being insane, but I feel it will remain relatively the same in NA and Asia.

As for the shelf life, honestly I feel like Spla2n only has about a year anyway for a good bit of the playerbase. The constant updates (New gear, weapons, maps, splatfests, etc) are gonna be the main thing keeping people. People like content, so if new content comes out? It'll draw people back in. However once the first year passes, all the mainline content is released, and all thats left is a year left of Splatfests a good portion of people will stop playing anyway. Look at the original Splatoon, after Callie Vs Marie the playerbase was there, but definitely not as prominent.(heck a lot of people only came back to play when Splatfests were going)

Spla2n is a super popular game however, many people bought a switch simply for it. Its people like that, that will keep the game going despite everything. Spla2n has a community that will keep it going no matter what. this forum alone is proof of that.

Also @Des
I came MMO wise directly from Overwatch to Spla2n. Ive found that with these types of games being burnt out happens a lot more frequently than youd expect, and lasts much longer too if you dont pace yourself. I played Overwatch at every available opportunity and for months on end until I eventually burned out for over 2 months, only getting back into it via an event. I played for 2 more months straight and ive been burnt out since then. (although mostly I just found a new game)

My best advice it to take either an old game you'd wanna revisit (dont do anything MMO you'll hate yourself) or buy a new one if you have the funds and play that for awhile. More than anything I find completely distracting myself from the game I'm burnt out on helps. I feel we tend to wanna play the game we're burnt out on deep down, despite the fact that we don't want to play it. I know I eventually made myself hate Overwatch because despite not playing it I was engrossing myself in content related to it too. As such it might just be a good idea to take a good vacation from Splatoon in general, lest you start hating it like I did.

Tl;DR: Go play another game and try forgetting Splatoon as a whole exists for awhile.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Iirc the Switch's paid internet service is going to be a one time fee yearly. along with that its only going to be $30 or less according to Nintendo of Japan. When you consider that Nintendo is bound to update the Switch from that of "A dedicated Gaming console" to a more Multimedia platform like XBone/Ps4 I'm sure a good userbase will shell it out for that alone.Hell Nintendo have also mentioned once before that much like its competition they will be giving out Classic Nintendo games for free with the service which again should draw in even more of the Spla2n playerbase to get the service.

While I understand your fears of the game not lasting due to a playerbase drop, I think despite everything it will carry on. Dedicated servers arent likely, but those who enjoy Spla2n will stick around despite this. I wont be surprised if a huge player base drop happens in the EU simply due to the wait times being insane, but I feel it will remain relatively the same in NA and Asia.

As for the shelf life, honestly I feel like Spla2n only has about a year anyway for a good bit of the playerbase. The constant updates (New gear, weapons, maps, splatfests, etc) are gonna be the main thing keeping people. People like content, so if new content comes out? It'll draw people back in. However once the first year passes, all the mainline content is released, and all thats left is a year left of Splatfests a good portion of people will stop playing anyway. Look at the original Splatoon, after Callie Vs Marie the playerbase was there, but definitely not as prominent.(heck a lot of people only came back to play when Splatfests were going)

Spla2n is a super popular game however, many people bought a switch simply for it. Its people like that, that will keep the game going despite everything. Spla2n has a community that will keep it going no matter what. this forum alone is proof of that.

Also @Des
I came MMO wise directly from Overwatch to Spla2n. Ive found that with these types of games being burnt out happens a lot more frequently than youd expect, and lasts much longer too if you dont pace yourself. I played Overwatch at every available opportunity and for months on end until I eventually burned out for over 2 months, only getting back into it via an event. I played for 2 more months straight and ive been burnt out since then. (although mostly I just found a new game)

My best advice it to take either an old game you'd wanna revisit (dont do anything MMO you'll hate yourself) or buy a new one if you have the funds and play that for awhile. More than anything I find completely distracting myself from the game I'm burnt out on helps. I feel we tend to wanna play the game we're burnt out on deep down, despite the fact that we don't want to play it. I know I eventually made myself hate Overwatch because despite not playing it I was engrossing myself in content related to it too. As such it might just be a good idea to take a good vacation from Splatoon in general, lest you start hating it like I did.

Tl;DR: Go play another game and try forgetting Splatoon as a whole exists for awhile.
First off, what the heck is with your choice of font? The spacing is exceedingly odd and makes your post harder to read than it should be, though that could easily be my age showing.

That aside, the actual price doesn't matter, same for the features. There are people who balk at spending ANY money whatsoever. Mobile games have exploded in part because of this, people will sit through all manner of tedium if it means not having to pay a dollar, but the second there's a fee to pay however small? Sales figures and active users plummet. I've seen this many, many times. No doubt a good chunk of the casual playerbase fits into this criteria.

I'm not sure if Splatoon is "super popular" either. Even if it is, the regional matchmaking makes finding people harder than it needs to be - a million active users (and this game has nowhere near that) means nothing if the game only seeks to match you with 10 of them. And let's face it, Squidboards isn't that huge, the number of active users only very rarely goes above 50, most of the time it's the same dozen or so dorks day after day, like me.

As for your advice, no amount of time away from the game is going to make this game better. I could leave for two months and my grievances with the design flaws will remain unchanged when I return. My problems aren't with game balance, they're with the netcode and mechanics surrounding a match, and those will never get fixed.

Also, minor terminology nitpick, these games aren't MMOs. That's something very different and more soul-destroying.

the

Inkling Commander
This is basically how I try to use tenta missiles. I usually wait for the other team to attempt a push, so the first one or two people's missile targets get in the way of the others. This way, some of the other team has to risk getting splatted or fall back. And the people in front will lead their nonexistent teammates into the waiting muzzles of my team's guns

Anyway getting back to SALT.... Or at least questionable salt.
I'm kinda mad that I burn out on this game so fast. I can only ever play for a few days in a row before getting salty and turned off to the game for another week or so. There's so much stuff I want to do gear-wise but slow grinding combined with bad luck makes me just... Not wanna play the game very often.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Losing 2.5 freshness points after every loss once you've reached SuperFresh isn't fair in my humble opinion...! Especially counting in team disconnects and other factors that you don't have any control of. :confused: ...I know, there shouldn't be a reason to even care, as the system is so arbitrary, but I still can't help but do! The brain works in mysterious ways. x_x*

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
most of the time it's the same dozen or so dorks day after day
u wot? Callin me a "dork"

Even if the "paid online annual services" aren't bringing in much change and repel people from the game (which it probably will), I doubt this game will die quickly. This game pretty much made arms a ghost town, with their reddit only having 15,000 or so users signed up and roughly 50 online there (relatively the amount of people looking at squidboards when it's quiet). Now the splatoon reddit has roughly 63,000 users with 600+ people online there. (these numbers change so don't yell at me). Even though the arms community is way smaller than splatoon's, they're having weekly tournaments, they're developing the meta, they have their own wiki, (which honestly looks better kept than ours), but time will tell. Plus they're in the same boat with Odyssey stealing some of our playerbase as well.

Maybe they'll get rid of regional matchmaking once they start making people pay for online services. So that Europe can play with NA and Japan without having to go to league sessions. And I doubt the casuals are going anywhere until all the splatfests have been done, and they finally had their last 24 hour turf marathon and putting quality memes in the plaza.

Squidilicious

Inkster Jr.
Here are my salty thoughts....first do not bring your charger into TC or RM ranked games unless you are god tier or into SZ unless you can get a disproportionate amount of kills (or at least a proportionate amount)...i can confidently say that when i have a charger on my team i am a lot more likely to lose than when i dont. Two chargers in TC or RM is game over. Often when I check the stats i see that the rest of us have more kills and somehow less deaths than the charger. Im not saying that the loss is all the charger's fault...obviously the rest of us bear some responsibility. And I know I cant expect to rank up by focusing on things i cant control but it's still annoying to be one win from getting to S on TC and your team has two chargers.

also please do not use an aerospray in ranked unless similarly you can contribute more or less on par with everyone else. It is not contributing to use your special 7x but never get a single kill and die around 10 times while every other player on both teams has double digit kills and single digit deaths...we are basically guaranteed to lose (although i think somehow we managed to avoid a KO).

Ib4 git gud. Yes I'm being very petty and salty but it feels good. Oh and one more thing...youshould not be in profresh if you do not understand simple things such as do not run off from the team or the basket in glowflies! There is a reason we are spamming 'this way'....

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I don't think the US scene will die out anywhere near soon, and the JP scene will probably be thriving for many years. That being said...

I'm more worried over the EU scene. Judging by the lobby wait times our scene isn't exactly thriving, and outside weekends i frequently time out especially if SR is open at the moment. Once the year turns over (which is exactly 2 months from now!), it'll probably get much worse. But really, time will tell how this turns out. Either the game becomes unplayable or the impact of this will turn out to be absolutely minimal, who can tell?

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo revealed the rumored 4-th ranked gamemode right after this game goes p2p in hopes to keep it's audience, but i strongly doubt that'll be enough. The slow drip-feed of weapons and stages we've mostly seen before didn't help much in holding people's attention over the past few months.

Squidilicious

Inkster Jr.
Here are my salty thoughts....first do not bring your charger into TC or RM ranked games unless you are god tier or into SZ unless you can get a disproportionate amount of kills (or at least a proportionate amount)...i can confidently say that when i have a charger on my team i am a lot more likely to lose than when i dont. Two chargers in TC or RM is game over. Often when I check the stats i see that the rest of us have more kills and somehow less deaths than the charger. Im not saying that the loss is all the charger's fault...obviously the rest of us bear some responsibility. And I know I cant expect to rank up by focusing on things i cant control but it's still annoying to be one win from getting to S on TC and your team has two chargers.

also please do not use an aerospray in ranked unless similarly you can contribute more or less on par with everyone else. It is not contributing to use your special 7x but never get a single kill and die around 10 times while every other player on both teams has double digit kills and single digit deaths...we are basically guaranteed to lose (although i think somehow we managed to avoid a KO).

Ib4 git gud. Yes I'm being very petty and salty but it feels good. Oh and one more thing...youshould not be in profresh if you do not understand simple things such as do not run off from the team or the basket in glowflies! There is a reason we are spamming 'this way'....
Case in point....just played an A level match that went the whole 5 min...we had a great early push and got it down to 2 but couldnt close it out...still managed to win but the whole time I was like god why
God now I'm really salty after getting two cracks in a row in you guessed it two games in a row with two chargers on my team (one of which was a ****in goo tuber). The second game really frosted my cake because I knew when I saw the two chargers that i would need to push the objective more so I got myself to cover near the tower, toss a suction bomb at the tower while I'm killing ine of their players and then all of a sudden three opposing players descend upon me and I look up at the status of my team and everyone managed to die in the first 5 seconds of the game including the two ****in charger players. I made a mistake in not noticing that my entire team died in 5 seconds because i should have disengaged at that point. But I expect my teammates esp my teammates playing charger to have awareness skills and reflexes to stay alive for a 5 second span. Srsly this was one of the fastest team wipes I can remember. It mighthave been less than 5 seconds. Oh and then as I was respawning and swimming back in I realized the rest of my team had already died a second time.

I wish people wouldn't experiment in ranked with difficult weapons that they dont main. It's so frustrating to play basically a man down bc someone is trying out a goo tuber...use it in TW or league until you can actually hold your own.

/salt

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I can't speak for other people, and I won't attempt to. I'm personally kind of looking forward to the paid service. $20 a year isn't bad at all, and the fact that my Switch will be able to do more things is something I look forward to. It also raises the possibility of Nintendo having better servers. It's a shame it's only a possibility, but it's better than nothing. Maybe they can upgrade from a potato to a sweet potato.

Also is matchmaking strictly regional? I swear I've played with some EU players in Turf and Ranked. As soon as the toilet paper Splatfest was announced ingame, I saw some players wearing Splatfest tees that were invisible to me.

For the whole break suggestion, I feel it's best to simply not play for a while. Still discussing the game while not playing teases me, and I'll be more excited to dive back in when I'm ready. That, and if I just stop exposing myself, I'll just forget about the game, leaving a bunch of things undone. Other people have different mindsets with this, but that's what works for me atleast.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
most of the time it's the same dozen or so dorks day after day, like me.
Well, as an enthusiast among dorks :p, the paid online service is going to be quite a test for me. Mainly because I honestly don't have much faith in Nintendo.

I adore Splatoon 2, need to get back into the swing of ARMS, want to play Puyo Puyo Tetris with other people, and could go for some occasional Mario Kart shenanigans... and all of those will likely be behind a paid service wall.

But beyond speculations and official statements, what will we actually be getting with the service, especially from the very start?! Even with a reasonable price, is this going to be some more early adopter/wait-and-see nonsense with barebones features and kinks we'll have to help iron out then hope at least six months to year from now the service can account for itself instead of having fans and payors continue making excuses for it when compared to Playstation's and Xbox's online services?

I'm often a believer after the fact. Thus I don't know what's going to happen to me or what I'll do once the paid online service finally rolls out. So for now I'm not going to be grateful or critical of whatever service features and game improvements we do or don't receive until after the fact.

For now though, I'm just goin be here all salty about fighting chargers with a bamboozler that grants them second chances, which they use to splat me. Or just how quickly everyone in general can flee from the second shot. And is it me or has the number of chargers been slowly increasing?

Foxtrot

Full Squid
And is it me or has the number of chargers been slowly increasing?

Ive seen a lot more chargers brought into turf if nothing else. The only time ive ever seen chargers in ranked is if its splatzones, but rarely then. It seems the meta is slowly if not surely shifting to allow more and more long range players. The recent buffs to long range weapons like the SSP are no doubt helping to popularize them.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Foxtrot,
Likewise. I see a smattering cropping up in rank more frequently than usual, but a much larger stock of them show up in turf. Buffs to the mid/long range could be a cause, yet I'm not fully certain on that, but it is a goid hypothesis. And at least for now, not a good many of them are as accurate or skilled as the average Splatoon 1 charger veteran. YET.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I'll probably update the post after Splatfest is over or sometimes later but a heads-up: We got the same Shifty Station layout as the US Halloween Splatfest did.... so stay tuned. Lots and lots of salt inkoming.

Edit: Or not. I just stopped grinding after ten matches or so. Being stuck with the European player base and all of them going full hyperaggressive Sploosh-o-matic, Splattershot and Silver Aerospray (and moronic teammates) AND this crappy shifty station layout is overkill. I'm done. I might finish the grind tomorrow or might not, but right now I'd rather do everything else.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Someone should fire Marina from making anymore stages, she's a madwoman who clearly needs to be stopped

The worst part of this stage is that it has the same problem as Moray; let someone slip by to your side, and you're royally hosed. In this map's case, you have to SJ back to spawn to stop them or trundle through the slow as molasses doors to get there. So someone has to stand guard at the left door at all times and never die, otherwise say goodbye to your spawn. Nothing is more frustrating than being on the other side and suddenly seeing a whole lot of enemy ink on your side of the map.

Talking about Moray, i had to deal with that stage too in the rotation i played in. It's like two trash stages for the price of one! Hooray!

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Today I learned that Splatoon 1 pro players are not pro players anymore in Splatoon 2 and that everyone's skill was reset and that all past experience is irrelevant
Okay, so we played against S division people in LUTI. My team and I are B division
We go on helpdesk and tell them, hey, those guys are S/A div players, why are they playing in the B div team that's fighting us?
Then the staff is like, ''but yeah, it's a completely new game it doesn't mean that they're S div still''
So they're telling us everyone's skill reset with the new game and that all the experience from the first game is irrelevant
Pro players are still going to be pro players from one game to another that's bulls**t at its finest
Then we're getting s*** on for calling the staff out on this nonsense and people are just saying ''lol ur salty git gud'' when the teams were stacked,
I love this community sometimes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom