The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Crapper Canal came up in the rotation last night. I'm probably giving that stage short shrift, but my first encounter with it was Spawnfest and I really Do Not Like it. Luckily, Grizz opened his gate at the same time and I had TF online to play with. @calamaro can stop ribbing me now about being a wimp =p

DUALIES, YES
BUCKET, I'M A KILLING MACHIIIIINE
BLASTER. EH, I CAN DO THIS
...OH, CHARGER AGAIN. /SOB

I did okay, all things considered. I'll never be a pro sniper but I did hold my own vs grillers and steelheads with the charger.

Glowflies on a teammate? I stick with them. Glowflies on me? Everyone scatters. TWICE. Guys ;__;

Resurrected in the middle of a salmon mosh pit. GUYS ;_____;

Forget eggs, I'm just trying to stay alive the whole time. Roommate comments she's never heard someone trash talk so much while playing a game.

Thats my girl :D . Lets share a smoke and a beverage in the break room.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I'd say now is a great time for a break, since Mario is about to release!

I plan on taking one myself, since I'm starting to have a sense of dread when going into a lobby. That, and after playing the same game almost every day for 3 months, game backlog kinda piles up.
OMG I just realized that ARMS and Splatoon 2 servers will be about dead after Mario's release :0.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
OMG I just realized that ARMS and Splatoon 2 servers will be about dead after Mario's release :0.

I know I for one will be taking a decent break from Spla2n once the game launches. Splat is still my Fav game currently, but too much daily salt isn't good for you. The amount of times I get physically frustrated from just losing can't be good for my health.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
You know it's time for a break when before going into a Turf War lobby, you tell yourself "I'm just going to get irritated. Why do I keep doing this to myself?".

Today's dose of salt is brought to you by Splattershot.

Do you find it irritating when you see opposing teams consist of interesting and varied weapons? Let's give atleast two of them a Splattershot (or Hero Shot) per match!

Find it dull having to wait for conflict? Let's have those Splattershots rush into your base immediately!

Would you like some added challenge for when you manage to corner that fella who out-DPS's you (and everyone else)? SPLASHDOWN!

Trying to level up your gear? Don't worry about such droll things! Have a losing streak instead!

You will no longer have to put up with the tedium of painting the field, when can just chill out in your base for the entire match. You even have Splattershot guards to stop you if you're feeling antsy.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
You know it's time for a break when before going into a Turf War lobby, you tell yourself "I'm just going to get irritated. Why do I keep doing this to myself?".

Do you find it irritating when you see opposing teams consist of interesting and varied weapons? Let's give atleast two of them a Splattershot (or Hero Shot) per match!

Find it dull having to wait for conflict? Let's have those Splattershots rush into your base immediately!

Would you like some added challenge for when you manage to corner that fella who out-DPS's you (and everyone else)? SPLASHDOWN!

Trying to level up your gear? Don't worry about such droll things! Have a losing streak instead!

You will no longer have to put up with the tedium of painting the field, when can just chill out in your base for the entire match. You even have Splattershot guards to stop you if you're feeling antsy.
If this is your current turf war experience then yes, it's definitely time to take a break. There is no good reason to stress yourself over a game that, while engaging, is still supposed to be fun first and foremost. Have a good rest and good luck with the matchmaking in the future!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886

I never quite understood why the Splattershot is seen as so OP... Would anybody care to explain? *^.^* I use it sometimes for turf war, and I do way, way better with e.g. the Sploosh-o-matic (but I haven't used it since I got it to SuperFresh). Maybe it's for ranked matches people tend to dislike it? What's so good about it? I have a very tough time getting to 1000p with it, but I do get more splats.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I never quite understood why the Splattershot is seen as so OP... Would anybody care to explain? *^.^* I use it sometimes for turf war, and I do way, way better with e.g. the Sploosh-o-matic (but I haven't used it since I got it to SuperFresh). Maybe it's for ranked matches people tend to dislike it? What's so good about it? I have a very tough time getting to 1000p with it, but I do get more splats.
I'm not sure if it's OP, but it is frustrating. It's the Splattershot mentality in Turf War that some other members complained about in this thread. It's that overly aggressive mentality that doesn't even let the other players play.

I could fight them off half of the time. It's not like they were dominating me or anything, but on the chance I happened to fight one off, the other got to my teammates and picks me off with ease.

I do sometimes feel that its time-to-kill is ridiculous. I could get a direct with a Splat Bomb, rush 'em with my Dualies, and we'd still trade (I wasn't using Dualies at the time).

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I'm not sure if it's OP, but it is frustrating. It's the Splattershot mentality in Turf War that some other members complained about in this thread. It's that overly aggressive mentality that doesn't even let the other players play.

I could fight them off half of the time. It's not like they were dominating me or anything, but on the chance I happened to fight one off, the other got to my teammates and picks me off with ease.

I do sometimes feel that its time-to-kill is ridiculous. I could get a direct with a Splat Bomb, rush 'em with my Dualies, and we'd still trade (I wasn't using Dualies at the time).
Ah, I see... So the players who main the Splattershot tend to be aggressive ones. I haven't really thought about it, but I guess it kind of makes sense. It's not that hard to use, but still racks up kills rather easily. I know I can have a hard time splatting people in turf wars, but my splat count definitely gets raised automatically when using it. Maybe 'cause its TTK ratio is quick?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
My biggest annoyance with the Splattershots and Spoolshes is their panic Splashdown uses. More so than other Splashdown weapons.

Many will aggressive throw themselves into the fray then panic Splashdown the moment they're being punished, and get rewarded with a second chance, refilled tank, (full health?), escaping an out ranged encounter, and/or winning a fight instead of trading or losing. And it's often less a "Well I'm gonna to counter your counter with my counter!" and more of a "Git rekt sun!--oh crap lemme build special! SAFE SPACE SPECIAL!!"

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
People usually call the splattershot out to be "OP", because it's good at so many things, but it's not weak in one particular area. The only area it's not "good" at is range, but with throwable bombs, and the meta game being aligned towards short range weapons, the splattershot barely experiences this weakness. Instead this weapon is good at having mobility, turf coverage, slaying potential, and being blessed with a great pair of kits (which is something a lot of weapons suffer from). With very little drawback to them.

Now let's look at my main: The Range Blaster. It's a weapon that excels in getting kills with it's excellent range, and it's ready for combat with it's great one shot direct capability, leaving flankers who get shot by one instantly dead, even though they went through the effort of flanking. Sounds "OP" right? Well, all that power comes with a price. Firstly, the weapon is very slow, the strafing speed is almost non existent, and the time to kill without a direct hit takes millennia compared to shooters. Not to mention the weapon is incredibly ink hungry and it cannot paint turf to save it's life with a fire rate that's so bad you could run away from it even if the user catches you by surprise.

Now let's compare the two, The Range Blaster is a weapon that excels in one category, but the rest of it's attributes are pretty bad to speak of. Meanwhile the splatter shot is at least great in every category it can be described in, with it's small range weakness which doesn't see much light anyway. Even among other shooters "the all rounder class" in general, are often replaced by the splattershot because their roles are interchangeable most of the time, and the splattershot does those jobs (collectively) the best.

And this doesn't even mention about how easy it is to use the splattershot with it's relatively low skill floor compared to other weapons like snipers, blasters, and splatlings. Even though the splattershot is easy to use, it still gets the same amount of work that a pro sniper or a seasoned splatling user can do with half the experience. Which is why people like to associate it to being "OP". I wouldn't call it that, but I would call it over centralizing in today's meta, and in all of splatoon's meta to be honest. Just because it takes so many team slots from weapons like the .52 or the splash o matic, weapons that are in a similar boat to the splattershot, but because their team wants that player to be flexible, they'll just pick splattershot because it's easy to use and it gets the job done anyway.

(Sorry for a wall of text, but I hope that answers your question)

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
As someone who prefers the TTek over the standard Splattershot, I've noticed just how different they feel in terms of play styles, despite being the same main weapon. While the TTek can be very aggressive, the splatbomb requires more finesse and proper placement due to taking a moment to explode, as opposed to the instantaneous burst bombs. The inkjet, especially as it is now, requires more work and aim to do well in any combat scenario, while the splashdown is perfect for rushing in and catching opponents by surprise.

A few nights ago I was playing Zones with the TTek, had a few iffy matches, and decided to try the vanilla, only to win four matches in a row. It felt so wrong to use it, since I feel it's the current bland meta weapon, which is saying a lot since I do love the TTek in this game. >.>

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
My biggest annoyance with the Splattershots and Spoolshes is their panic Splashdown uses. More so than other Splashdown weapons.

Many will aggressive throw themselves into the fray then panic Splashdown the moment they're being punished, and get rewarded with a second chance, refilled tank, (full health?), escaping an out ranged encounter, and/or winning a fight instead of trading or losing. And it's often less a "Well I'm gonna to counter your counter with my counter!" and more of a "Git rekt sun!--oh crap lemme build special! SAFE SPACE SPECIAL!!"
Panic-button Splashdown ROLLERS annoy me more than Splattershots. Though in all cases it's pretty great when the user forgets the kill-cam is a thing and I have Point Sensor, so I can just zip right back out to where they're sharking and splat the dummies =p

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Because the Splattershot Splash+Burst combo is as obnoxious as any. Getting hurt by splashdown in it's outer radius and then directed by Bursts will mean an instant kill. Bursts in general work really well with this weapon, a single direct will make it only take one shot to finish the target off.
TTek was just about as popular, but then Inkjet got nerfed and now few use it anymore.

But really, it does just about everything well, making it far less sensitive to bad team comps than say, chargers or blasters. People use it not because it's super cheap, they use it for practical purposes.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
All of this reminds me of a time recently where I used the Splattershot for a bit in Turf. I treated it like I did most weapons. Only approach if I'm confident in victory, and otherwise just paint. I did okay. 4-6 splats,3-5 deaths, 600-800 turf. Pretty meh stats, especially for an "OP" weapon. I knew I was doing something wrong, especially since another Splattershot user in the lobby was doing quite a bit better. I had to do something different, then I had a brilliant strategy:

Turn
My
Brain
Off!

I just went wild. I attacked anything that moved. I see a .96 Gal in the distance? My normal response would be "I'm gonna try to take a different route and take him out." My response with my altered strategy? "LEEROOOOOOY JENKINS!" and it freaking paid off! Everything I looked at died. My stats after that was around 1200 turf, 10 splats, and 1 death.

I felt a little dirty actually. I made sure to cry in a cold shower.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Allright, time for some ranked boys and girls, let's give this game one more chance

-2 clanners appear-

gets stomped, changing lobbies

-5 clanners appear, including the previous ones-

gets stomped again, changing lobbies

-every single person except me is a clanner, including the previous 5-

gets stomped again, changing games

A+ quality matchmaking

The only thing worse than being in lobbies with newbies is being stuck in lobbies where everyone vastly outpreforms you, where you cannot contribute in any meaningful manner and ruin it for both yourself and your team. But ranked matchmaking insists that i stay in these lobbies, so there's no end to my and my team's suffering.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Because the Splattershot Splash+Burst combo is as obnoxious as any. Getting hurt by splashdown in it's outer radius and then directed by Bursts will mean an instant kill
I'd say the vanilla blaster's splashdown and indirect is a lot more obnoxious to face. Just because it's a lot easier to aim (or at least I think it is) and you can't counter the strategy with bomb defense up because the blaster's damage is unaffected and it can vary up to 70 with an indirect. Making attempts to counter much harder.

Now if you want to live the vanilla splattershot's burst bomb and splashdown combo, just wear 1 main and 2 subs of bomb defense (hence why I wear a pure of bomb defense these days). But with vanilla blaster you need to run at least 4 subs, but that's if you want to barely live if the blaster gets 50 flat damage on you. But if the blaster player gets 70 damage on you after hitting a splashdown, it will always kill you, because you would need more than 40% damage reduction to survive the combo.

Still though, vanilla blaster gets specials way less often than a splattershot ever should.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Finally played a dynamo in actually matches... what have they done to this thing?! It hurts just using it to ink. *cries in agony*

Meanwhile, as I try to get better at playing in handheld mode, I would like to know who is among the chain-of-fools that still believes the volume and power buttons should be next to one another!

Lyka Phoxx

Full Squid
NNID
Pheodus
  • Insanity as defined by Webster's Dictionary:
Extreme foolishness; folly ;senselessness; foolhardiness

Insanity as defined by analogy:
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Insanity as defined by Rainmaker in Splatoon 2:
Taking the Rainmaker up to the same exact route you got splatted on over and over for a good 90 seconds despite having three or possibly all four opponents practically waiting to take turns on you as you arrive.

• To any wannabe hero who insists on spamming the "This way" button in the hopes of making your teammates follow you into enemy gunfire the moment they super jump to you (and they will invariably super jump to you.). I hate to be the harbinger of doom and gloom here, but...You are NOT a squad leader, you do not the qualities of a squad leader and you have far too little map awareness to expect anyone to go "This way" with you. So please stop needlessly using it, because YOU ARE F***ING USELESS!!!

• Last, Speaking as a Tenta Missile user, I think it is time to for us Tenta Missile users to admit to ourselves that our go-to is really not all that is cracked up to be. It's bad enough for them to just swim away from danger when the missiles are launched. You know you have a bad special when Dualie users can simply perform a dodge roll or two avoid them and then keep inking (and scoring the free points you just gave) without missing a step. Therefore we need to be a little more creative with how we use the Tenta Missiles going forward in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414

This is what I dislike about the Splattershot more than anything else. Range? Whatevs. I can just flank them. TTK? Same response with a good measure of attack from on high. Panic Splashdown though? Yeah, that ruins a lot of best laid plans. Oh, did we mention that it also comes with Burst Bombs? What, did you think that using this weapon meant you had to try? Why put in effort when you can just fill every role all by yourself?

I admit, there is some Splattershot salt here. But it has been pointed out, rightfully so, that the weapon is simply flexible and capable of covering many options. I understand that. Doesn't mean that the users of said weapon don't drive me up the friggin' wall! The weapon's kit lends it to being a very aggressive weapon and as such we see it all the time from people who like to play the role of superhero. These one-man-army, CoD squids that just make things hard for everyone.

DUALIES, YES
BUCKET, I'M A KILLING MACHIIIIINE
BLASTER. EH, I CAN DO THIS
...OH, CHARGER AGAIN. /SOB

I did okay, all things considered. I'll never be a pro sniper but I did hold my own vs grillers and steelheads with the charger.

Glowflies on a teammate? I stick with them. Glowflies on me? Everyone scatters. TWICE. Guys ;__;

Resurrected in the middle of a salmon mosh pit. GUYS ;_____;

Forget eggs, I'm just trying to stay alive the whole time. Roommate comments she's never heard someone trash talk so much while playing a game.
Is it weird that I like it when the Charger comes my way? No lie, many of my best plays come when I am taking the Sniper Rifle out for its rounds! Maybe it's because I have been actively practicing with the Chargers, maybe I just have a knack for it, or maybe it's the idea that I can at least keep it out of the hands of squids that have no idea how to use it.

"Hey, can someone tell me which end of this thing is supposed to be pointed at the thing I don't like?"

"Give me that thing before you kill us all!"

On another note, I have been taking a break to play Super Mario Odyssey and, of all things, Darkest Dungeon. Both have been doing a good job of keeping my blood pressure low. I just wish I could say the same thing about my job...

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
  • Last, Speaking as a Tenta Missile user, I think it is time to for us Tenta Missile users to admit to ourselves that our go-to is really not all that is cracked up to be. It's bad enough for them to just swim away from danger when the missiles are launched. You know you have a bad special when Dualie users can simply perform a dodge roll or two avoid them and then keep inking (and scoring the free points you just gave) without missing a step. Therefore we need to be a little more creative with how we use the Tenta Missiles going forward in my honest opinion.
I have been thinking about better ways to use it rather than hanging in the back and just targeting as many players as I can. Here's a few things I thought of:

Aggression: Use it to take out a specific player or two players. You see someone swimming towards you, use Tenta Missiles on them to give you an edge in taking them out. I was sometimes able to target someone with Tenta Missiles, then use a Burst Bomb on them to trap them and leave 'em to get bombarded. Of course doing this is very dangerous, since you won't be too far away from your opponent. If you can target just one player, it might be best to do that, since it doesn't take very long at all to fire missiles at one person.

Seeking: Use it to find players, kinda like a mini Echolocator. Instead of hoping for splats, use it to see if someone is trying to ambush you or a teammate. It seems really helpful for the Jet Squelcher or Bamboozler in this fashion. Make players easier to hit with that big marker on them.

Forced relocation: This is helpful in Tower Control, and probably good with the Slosher, since it's often used as a Tower Control weapon. Try to use it to force people off the Tower, and do your Slosher shenanigans with your teammates. Also helpful against Chargers, or to leave a Splatling helpless for a bit (only recently thought of this).

Of course I only thought of these things. I haven't actually practiced them. I hope to when I start playing again. Maybe a better player has a better opinion on these things. At the very least, in theory the Tenta Missiles have their uses. My most used weapon uses Tenta Missiles, so I wanna make the best of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom