• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Man, hearing all this talk about how aggro Turf Wars has became is actually relieving. Now I know it's not just me. I'll eventually find a way around. Might even have to drop the Hero Charger which will break my heart, but using a Charger in TW is almost impossible now. I'm also being sick of being taunted/squidbagged whenever I miss a shot or get splatted, usually by Dualies. Man, I hate Dualies SO MUCH. People say just predict which way they'll roll, but try timing that with a freakin charger. If you mistime the shot or predict which way they dodge wrong, BOOM! You're dead! And Dualies are EVERYWHERE. Makes me wanna flip a table! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As much as I love the Hero Charger design-wise, you may want to try the Firefin sometime. It took me forever to grow to like it but it's a mighty turf weapon once mastered. The Splash Wall, while situational, is a good peeler to deploy when having sniper-peek-battles, trying to pick off a Heavy or as a support tool for your allies. Your Jet friend will certainly appreciate that when trying to poke through a choke or standing on an otherwise risky ledge. (Note: Deployment of the damn thing takes more skill than wielding the main weapon so beware, lol) And as for the Special: nothing screems mid control and mean pushes than a handful of Suction Bombs ready to wreak havoc! Now I'm not saying the Splatterscope (Or Hero Charger) are doing worse in Turf, but outside of a few maps where the Stingray is REALLY strong you'd rather want to go for the Suction Bomb Rush. If you're not convinced (can't blame you, again, took me weeks to grow to like the Firefin!) you may want to look into your main issues you run into. The Chargers are still very viable in turf even with the aggro meta and when you want to stick to unscoped you may want to abuse your held charges to mess with flankers and use Splat Bombs to draw them out. If you're really brave you can try to go for half-charge + ZR tap if they sneak past your ideal range as a last resort.

And yeah, I feel ya on the dualies. I tend to spook them with either my laser or half charges until they bap into a wall of sorts and then finish them off. :D

As for chargers being hard to practice literally anywhere at this point: Yeah, that's true, can't deny the fact. Which is why I'll recommend warming up and practicing snap shots in the Weapon Test Area for about 15 minutes each time before heading into any game-mode. And then you "just" play. Your synapses will slowly catch on as to what works and what doesn't. Good luck to all aspiring chargers!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
(Note: Deployment of the damn thing takes more skill than wielding the main weapon so beware, lol)
Splash walls, THIS!!

Now even more since they got rid of the ghost sight-line thingy so you know where it'll land. (unless I've missed something)

Do the devs not like splash walls? They let you see where other thrown subs can land before use but not splash walls? Are the devs long suffering victims from the pre-gal+splash wall nerfs of first Splatoon out for revenge?

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Splash walls, THIS!!

Now even more since they got rid of the ghost sight-line thingy so you know where it'll land. (unless I've missed something)

Do the devs not like splash walls? They let you see where other thrown subs can land before use but not splash walls? Are the devs long suffering victims from the pre-gal+splash wall nerfs of first Splatoon out for revenge?
Oh, they really hate Splash Walls and on the same note, Splash Walls hated me when I started using the Firefin. :D

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Practising with charger on Turf War became almost impossible for me as well. Only charger I've succeeded is Bamboozler, thanks to its quick charge. Other chargers, even Squiffer, I failed miserably. Even practising with dummies don't help unpredictable nature of players. :(
So I'm not the only one. Yeah the only Charger I can do half decently with in Turf War is the Bamboozler. Can flick the moving targets in the practice area without issues, but I get stupid aim when I'm aiming at a player. Even worse is that the Bamboozler is the only weapon I managed to get Superfresh with.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I think I'm burnt out. That bugs me. I've loved this game and I've been extremely active, but I've wanted more from it. Something on top of the game itself to keep it from getting stale. Playing the game for the game itself, even with good friends, only lasts so long. Every project I've had over the last three months, from going competitive to streaming to community stuff, has blown up in my face either through my own actions (let's be honest here) or just plain misfortune and circumstance. And then there's the skill ceiling. I'm a solid player, S+ on the first game and all, but I have so much further to go before I can reliably take on pros by myself, and getting beyond where I am is proving an uphill battle. For one, my reaction times; That's purely a physical issue. Learning tactics and strategies is one thing, reacting with a clear shot a half-second faster is another.

Egh, I'm not sure how to proceed. To use the classic everyone refers to, It's like "Play Splatoon > ??? > Profit!" I'd say I'm too invested in this but well, look at the crowd I'm talking to :P Either way, there's some more serious salt for you.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
@Либра, uh... hmm, you sure you didn't pick up one of Sheldon's experimental sprinklers by mistake?

@Dessgeega, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've reached another level! Rife with new discoveries, unforeseen setbacks, temporary obstacles, and surprising challenges that can lead to sudden fatigue, questioning, and burnout. Time to imitate art (which imitates life) by taking a page from sports and martial arts stories: RELAX.

Take some sort of vacation. Be lazy. Goof off. Unwind and go play. In due time you'll shift gears into contemplation and retraining then inevitably "return" in some form or another. Yeah, it's dorky, because it is dorky, but you're the burgeoning competitive/hardcore player performing a swan-dive into their own training & character development arc. Have fun with that! :p

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@Dessgeega, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've reached another level! Rife with new discoveries, unforeseen setbacks, temporary obstacles, and surprising challenges that can lead to sudden fatigue, questioning, and burnout. Time to imitate art (which imitates art) by taking a page from sports and martial arts stories: RELAX.

Take some sort of vacation. Be lazy. Goof off. Unwind and go play. In due time you'll shift gears into contemplation and retraining then inevitably "return" in some form or another. Yeah, it's dorky, because it is dorky, but you're the burgeoning competitive/hardcore player performing a swan-dive into their own training & character development arc. Have fun with that! :p
not sure if.jpg

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Rainmaker is hands down the worst mode for solo queue ****ing fight me
Also, am I the only one that finds the seperate ranks to be more of an annoyance than a convenience?

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Ansible That's still an issue? I thought that part of the whole "the shield is faster now" update would fix that little blind spot between firing and shields up. That was perhaps my biggest gripe! But I haven't picked it up yet after the patch. Been working my rounds through with the Range Blaster. Gotta say, I like it! Although I am not a fan of the huge amount of ink that it takes to fire it.

Man, hearing all this talk about how aggro Turf Wars has became is actually relieving. Now I know it's not just me. I'll eventually find a way around. Might even have to drop the Hero Charger which will break my heart, but using a Charger in TW is almost impossible now. I'm also being sick of being taunted/squidbagged whenever I miss a shot or get splatted, usually by Dualies. Man, I hate Dualies SO MUCH. People say just predict which way they'll roll, but try timing that with a freakin charger. If you mistime the shot or predict which way they dodge wrong, BOOM! You're dead! And Dualies are EVERYWHERE. Makes me wanna flip a table! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
While I am no expert with a Charger, using a Splatling is similar. My advice to you is to practice your aim and, a bit more importantly, work on improving your situational awareness. It sounds obvious, but it becomes really quite easy to become tunnel focused on that annoying enemy over there and then lose track of the world while a roller comes by and just walks over you. Not even a swing. Just...walks. Leaving you feeling empty inside...is that just me? Okay...

Anyway, what I mean by situational awareness is this. You find your sniping spot and you know what you are trying to defend. Now that you have it, make sure you are keeping your head on a swivel. Check common flanking routes to make sure that you aren't being approached. Hide and look at the map to see what's going on. Ensure that you don't get tunnel focused! Especially hard to do when you are using a scope, but it has to happen! It takes practice to improve your situational awareness, so I suggest you keep at it! Understand that you are a threat to your enemies hence why they go out of their way to get to you. That is going to be both a strength and a weakness of using a Charger. Just keep at it and soon you won't have to worry about the stray roller coming to knock all the cool you thought you owned down the toilet.

Also, on the point of the Dualies, I get tired of them too. Not as much so as the rampant Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica and Sploosh-o-Matic craziness that permeates the land. But the Dualie players aren't the only ones who taunt and squidbag. And when you see someone doing that, report them for unsportsmanlike conduct. It isn't cool and it turns the whole what should be fun competitive environment into a toxic one. You aren't forced to play with people like that They are an unwanted appetizer that didn't come with the meal. And just like that unwanted appetizer, I say you send them back to the kitchen!

@Dessgeega Ansible is right on the money. When you start to feel burnout, take a break! It's time to treat yourself to a bit of a vacation and cool off! Remember, training isn't all about how hard you work, but also how hard you relax. That part is more important than people think because it allows your mind to reset and come at things fresh from a new perspective. Ever been playing a game and gotten stuck at a part that frustrates you? Some absurdly obtuse puzzle, or a difficult platforming section, or that one pain-in-the-arse boss that keeps shredding you into deli fresh lunch meat? After taking a break to collect your thoughts and calm down from the problem, you ever find that what seemed to be insurmountable odds fall to your deft skills afterwards? It's the same thing. So take it easy for a bit!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
@Ansible That's still an issue? I thought that part of the whole "the shield is faster now" update would fix that little blind spot between firing and shields up. That was perhaps my biggest gripe! But I haven't picked it up yet after the patch. Been working my rounds through with the Range Blaster. Gotta say, I like it! Although I am not a fan of the huge amount of ink that it takes to fire it.

While I am no expert with a Charger, using a Splatling is similar. My advice to you is to practice your aim and, a bit more importantly, work on improving your situational awareness. It sounds obvious, but it becomes really quite easy to become tunnel focused on that annoying enemy over there and then lose track of the world while a roller comes by and just walks over you. Not even a swing. Just...walks. Leaving you feeling empty inside...is that just me? Okay...

Anyway, what I mean by situational awareness is this. You find your sniping spot and you know what you are trying to defend. Now that you have it, make sure you are keeping your head on a swivel. Check common flanking routes to make sure that you aren't being approached. Hide and look at the map to see what's going on. Ensure that you don't get tunnel focused! Especially hard to do when you are using a scope, but it has to happen! It takes practice to improve your situational awareness, so I suggest you keep at it! Understand that you are a threat to your enemies hence why they go out of their way to get to you. That is going to be both a strength and a weakness of using a Charger. Just keep at it and soon you won't have to worry about the stray roller coming to knock all the cool you thought you owned down the toilet.

Also, on the point of the Dualies, I get tired of them too. Not as much so as the rampant Splattershot/Hero Shot Replica and Sploosh-o-Matic craziness that permeates the land. But the Dualie players aren't the only ones who taunt and squidbag. And when you see someone doing that, report them for unsportsmanlike conduct. It isn't cool and it turns the whole what should be fun competitive environment into a toxic one. You aren't forced to play with people like that They are an unwanted appetizer that didn't come with the meal. And just like that unwanted appetizer, I say you send them back to the kitchen!

@Dessgeega Ansible is right on the money. When you start to feel burnout, take a break! It's time to treat yourself to a bit of a vacation and cool off! Remember, training isn't all about how hard you work, but also how hard you relax. That part is more important than people think because it allows your mind to reset and come at things fresh from a new perspective. Ever been playing a game and gotten stuck at a part that frustrates you? Some absurdly obtuse puzzle, or a difficult platforming section, or that one pain-in-the-arse boss that keeps shredding you into deli fresh lunch meat? After taking a break to collect your thoughts and calm down from the problem, you ever find that what seemed to be insurmountable odds fall to your deft skills afterwards? It's the same thing. So take it easy for a bit!
Very good read. :3 And I agree. Just like that saying "you're not you when you're hungry" I'd say "you're only playing to half of your capacity when you are angry".

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
I think I'm burnt out. That bugs me. I've loved this game and I've been extremely active, but I've wanted more from it. Something on top of the game itself to keep it from getting stale. Playing the game for the game itself, even with good friends, only lasts so long. Every project I've had over the last three months, from going competitive to streaming to community stuff, has blown up in my face either through my own actions (let's be honest here) or just plain misfortune and circumstance. And then there's the skill ceiling. I'm a solid player, S+ on the first game and all, but I have so much further to go before I can reliably take on pros by myself, and getting beyond where I am is proving an uphill battle. For one, my reaction times; That's purely a physical issue. Learning tactics and strategies is one thing, reacting with a clear shot a half-second faster is another.

Egh, I'm not sure how to proceed. To use the classic everyone refers to, It's like "Play Splatoon > ??? > Profit!" I'd say I'm too invested in this but well, look at the crowd I'm talking to :p Either way, there's some more serious salt for you.
I'd say now is a great time for a break, since Mario is about to release!

I plan on taking one myself, since I'm starting to have a sense of dread when going into a lobby. That, and after playing the same game almost every day for 3 months, game backlog kinda piles up.

Reactions: the

iced potato

Senior Squid
The fact I find Salmon Run currently more chill and relaxing than Turf and Ranked pretty much says it all, so I'm also feeling a need to take a short Splatoon 2 break. I'd also really like to finish Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle before Super Mario Odyssey is out!

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
The fact I find Salmon Run currently more chill and relaxing than Turf and Ranked pretty much says it all, so I'm also feeling a need to take a short Splatoon 2 break. I'd also really like to finish Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle before Super Mario Odyssey is out!
Good luck with Mario + Rabbids!
And I feel the same way, Salmon Run is the stress-free Splatoon 2 experience for me. Sounds rather nutty. I'm not sure Mr. Grizz would appreciate me saying so, he seems to want to push his apprentices to the utmost. ;)

Foxtrot

Full Squid
So after many, many, many loses in splatzones today and my inevitable drop back into A- I've realized something.

I absolutely despise the male inklings with the Pomps. Its always them, they're always the players I see in the kill feed, they're the ones that haunt my dreams. I have no clue why, but its always them that kill me countless times.

A L W A Y S

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Crapper Canal came up in the rotation last night. I'm probably giving that stage short shrift, but my first encounter with it was Spawnfest and I really Do Not Like it. Luckily, Grizz opened his gate at the same time and I had TF online to play with. @calamaro can stop ribbing me now about being a wimp =p

DUALIES, YES
BUCKET, I'M A KILLING MACHIIIIINE
BLASTER. EH, I CAN DO THIS
...OH, CHARGER AGAIN. /SOB

I did okay, all things considered. I'll never be a pro sniper but I did hold my own vs grillers and steelheads with the charger.

Glowflies on a teammate? I stick with them. Glowflies on me? Everyone scatters. TWICE. Guys ;__;

Resurrected in the middle of a salmon mosh pit. GUYS ;_____;

Forget eggs, I'm just trying to stay alive the whole time. Roommate comments she's never heard someone trash talk so much while playing a game.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Well I guess for most of us, this weekend to next could be the start of quite a break with Mario Odyssey out for the rest of us plebs. And I need to play some more Mario+Rabbids. It's fun but it bakes your brain trying to play an extended session. @_@

Yep, still an issue. I noticed it not just for myself but for other brellas as well, teammate and foe alike.

@Slushious, surely it was better than this past Sunday's Salmon Run with the single mystery weapon... and me getting something like a dynamo. I think the guy with the rapid blaster was either making fun of me or trying to be helpful because every time I tried to flick that damn thing he was able to hit my target two or three times before my dynamo touched the ground. Oh look: my team is wiped, we're one egg from quota, twenty second left, and I have to swim from the piers all the way back to the basket? How the hell did we even win that shift?!

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Actually the roomie's trash talk comment stemmed from the hour and a half I spent in Turf prior to Salmon Run.

Training Wheels Rollers
Training Wheels Chargers
Both single-digit squids in the lobby on my team
The sole level-50 DCs...when she's on my team
Squadders who can't play, apparently
Missile noobs deploying out in the field, all on their lonesome, with no teamos to watch their 6's, and who then got super salty that I put the kibosh on that action PDQ.
Splatterscoper annoyed that I had a successful standoff with him around a corner as he tried and failed twice to set up a spawn-camp on Kelp Dome, whilst his Bamboozler teammate sharked the rest of my team repeatedly.

Never change, Turf War...never change. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom