The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Don't you love it when you just want to play the game and 5 people disconnects less than 30 seconds in. Fun times!

I love this game but all the little things like these are seriousely starting to pile up x.x;;

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Squidbagging in a fair game. W/E, I'll get you next time.

Squidbagging in a game where the other team has a D/C? Super lame. Like, it's so lame it's hurts. I'm more offended at the fact someone is celebrating winning a lopsided encounter than them taunting me.

But really though, there has to be some boost given to a team with D/C's because turf war is getting pretty unplayable with the 20-dollar houdini whisking away teammates in farts of technicolored smoke every other game.

i'll never stop making 20 dollar jokes, never

TechSkylander1518

Full Squid
This might just be IRL salt leaking into my playing, but the notice of "Rainmaker Free Zone!" in certain sections of Arowana Mall ticks me off. If there's a part of the map that's unfair for Rainmaker gameplay, isn't that on the devs to fix? Isn't that why maps get barriers put in places on certain game modes?

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
This might just be IRL salt leaking into my playing, but the notice of "Rainmaker Free Zone!" in certain sections of Arowana Mall ticks me off. If there's a part of the map that's unfair for Rainmaker gameplay, isn't that on the devs to fix? Isn't that why maps get barriers put in places on certain game modes?
I think that those areas are required for players during normal rainmaker, ex. being able to move in or use as a vantage position.

TechSkylander1518

Full Squid
I can definitely see those areas serving that purpose, but what I don't understand is why those functions are banned for people with the RM. Everyone benefits from being able to move in those spaces. Chargers benefit from having it as a vantage point, and, frankly, have an easier time using it-they have no countdown on their weapon and aren't the focus of the game. And in every other map (as far as I know), there's no zones with a similar marking-they're all able to make parts of the map that give vantage or passage without being concerned about the RM using it. So why does Arowana Mall have it?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Well, I forgot to post this.

It's stuff like this that completely ruins my perspective on the game. And yes, this is a consistent theme whenever I want to play the game against Japan and Australia. As outplaying and predicting your opponents often becomes a trade or a kill for them because of lag.

NOICE

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7409-1615-2211
Me: Yay, I'm one win away from ranking up to a lowly S+4 in Rainmaker. I've had some bad luck the last few matches (for example, a charger with the most deaths and the least kills on my team) so this is my last chance, but I've got a good feeling this time around. Let's do this!

Matchmaking: Let's put Fuzzy, literally one of the best players in the world, on the other team.

Me: Broken rank meter...broken dreams

I'm more and more convinced that matchmaking makes no effort whatsoever to balance out matches. Any time I start to feel like I'm getting better at this game, the game crushes me. When I check the players I went up against in the square, there are sometimes multiple on the other team who are S+50 or very close, while my team can be all S+10 or lower. I want to care less about my rank and just have a good time, but I also put in a lot of practice and it would be nice to feel like I'm improving once in a while :mad:

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I haven't rambled here, and frankly I was avoiding a ramble, but I've completely snapped during a string of completely unenjoyable matches and come to a realization. I'm not sure how much longer I'll play Solo Queue. Ever. I'm curious, how many of you find Solo queue to be one of Splatoon's highlights, and why? To me, Splatoon 2 has been one of the most amazing gaming experiences in a long, long time. The single player campaign and Salmon run are an absolute blast to play, and getting together with random players from the wonderful discord communities and teaming up for League creates one of the most thrilling competitive online experiences I've played in a long time. Then there's Solo queue. I find Solo Queue nearly impossible to enjoy. I've logged 160 hours into Splatoon 2, and have played a ton of Solo Queue, and I can't find anything fun about this mode. I feel like I'm carrying a team every time, playing the entire defense and offensive. There's no teammates to talk to and chat battle with, instead you get four completely silent blank faces that idle and disconnect quite literally every match. I think of all the casual players that don't use Discord to find other Splatoon players, and just play Solo queue on repeat to enjoy the game competitively, and I just wonder....how? I imagine I will play literally thousands of hours of Splatoon 2. I'm going to play the hell out of Private battles, League, and tournaments. It's pure perfection, and the teamwork is what makes the game so incredible to me. I honestly feel Solo Queue goes against everything that makes the game so great.

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
I haven't rambled here, and frankly I was avoiding a ramble, but I've completely snapped during a string of completely unenjoyable matches and come to a realization. I'm not sure how much longer I'll play Solo Queue. Ever. I'm curious, how many of you find Solo queue to be one of Splatoon's highlights, and why? To me, Splatoon 2 has been one of the most amazing gaming experiences in a long, long time. The single player campaign and Salmon run are an absolute blast to play, and getting together with random players from the wonderful discord communities and teaming up for League creates one of the most thrilling competitive online experiences I've played in a long time. Then there's Solo queue. I find Solo Queue nearly impossible to enjoy. I've logged 160 hours into Splatoon 2, and have played a ton of Solo Queue, and I can't find anything fun about this mode. I feel like I'm carrying a team every time, playing the entire defense and offensive. There's no teammates to talk to and chat battle with, instead you get four completely silent blank faces that idle and disconnect quite literally every match. I think of all the casual players that don't use Discord to find other Splatoon players, and just play Solo queue on repeat to enjoy the game competitively, and I just wonder....how? I imagine I will play literally thousands of hours of Splatoon 2. I'm going to play the hell out of Private battles, League, and tournaments. It's pure perfection, and the teamwork is what makes the game so incredible to me. I honestly feel Solo Queue goes against everything that makes the game so great.
I can give perspective from someone who has played about the same amount of time as you, but pretty much solo queue only. I've played a little story mode and a little Salmon Run, but 99% solo. I think playing with friends sounds awesome, but I haven't made that happen yet.

Anyway, solo can be frustrating if you're focused on the outcome because a lot of the outcome is completely out of your hands. For me though, I find the game so much fun to play that the outcome doesn't dictate my enjoyment. Of course I am always trying to win and I hate losing, but the game is just pure joy to me that even if we are getting whooped, I'm having fun swimming around and trying to get whooped less.

Make the situation smaller in your head, don't think about losing the match or dropping rank, think about how to get to the charger that keeps splatting you and be happy when you get that splat. Then move on the the next micro-objective. The game just feels great to play.

Having said that, I can understand that it could be really dissapointing to play solo after having the experience of playing with a group.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
I can give perspective from someone who has played about the same amount of time as you, but pretty much solo queue only. I've played a little story mode and a little Salmon Run, but 99% solo. I think playing with friends sounds awesome, but I haven't made that happen yet.

Anyway, solo can be frustrating if you're focused on the outcome because a lot of the outcome is completely out of your hands. For me though, I find the game so much fun to play that the outcome doesn't dictate my enjoyment. Of course I am always trying to win and I hate losing, but the game is just pure joy to me that even if we are getting whooped, I'm having fun swimming around and trying to get whooped less.

Make the situation smaller in your head, don't think about losing the match or dropping rank, think about how to get to the charger that keeps splatting you and be happy when you get that splat. Then move on the the next micro-objective. The game just feels great to play.

Having said that, I can understand that it could be really dissapointing to play solo after having the experience of playing with a group.
Cool. From this perspective I understand Solo queue a bit more. Going forward I'll use it as practice for fighting skilled players and using weapons I'm not familiar with. Thank you! (Btw, Hope you get to play with a group sometime, because the experience can be incredible.)

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
Isn’t this how it is in most MP games nowadays? Going into different queues solo and dealing with lackluster teammates every other match; it’s even worse in Splatoon due to no voice chat being directly implemented.

The main thing that keeps me sane is the fact that the matches aren’t long in length; if I get put into a bad lobby, then at least it’ll only last for a few minutes and I can back out and find a new one quickly.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
No, I've played a few other team-based games and aside from the occasional misfit they managed to get players of even skill in one lobby. Splatoon 1's matchmaking was somewhat better in Ranked, mostly because the system in place worked.

Splatoon 2 has no matchmaking to speak of. I've seen level 2 players sharing lobbies with level 90 players. This is not an issue related to lack of a playerbase, at launch and at Christmas the same issues were still present.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
No, I've played a few other team-based games and aside from the occasional misfit they managed to get players of even skill in one lobby. Splatoon 1's matchmaking was somewhat better in Ranked, mostly because the system in place worked.

Splatoon 2 has no matchmaking to speak of. I've seen level 2 players sharing lobbies with level 90 players. This is not an issue related to lack of a playerbase, at launch and at Christmas the same issues were still present.
Not to dismiss your argument - I completely agree with you - but are you sure that wasn’t a level 2* player? (I mean this is obviously TW, but still..) I seem to have passed a certain threshold at level 35, now I’m paired with higher level players.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Not to dismiss your argument - I completely agree with you - but are you sure that wasn’t a level 2* player? (I mean this is obviously TW, but still..) I seem to have passed a certain threshold at level 35, now I’m paired with higher level players.
Nope, certain it was a level 2 player without the star. There have been multiple occasions of starless lvl 10< players sharing lobbies with lvl 90> players.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
After playing a match with "Hol Hitler", I played a match with "$quidKock" on my team.

Can people just...grow the hell up and start considering others?
People have been doing that since Unreal in '99. It's unfortunately not gonna change. Online players will always strive to find new ways to grab attention and be the center of the universe.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm ready to join the tetra armada!
I lied, solo queue randos are more baffling than usual tonight
unless get into a quad, I'm not touching the game anymore tonight.

The fact we're on a new map just sends randos minds into full panic mode moron-acity, which is not conducive to me being able to learn a new weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom