• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Dead(er) Sea: Saltiest Catch

Tsene

Full Squid
NNID
freakzene
Switch Friend Code
SW-6942-9915-1395
About to get S+ from S in Clum Bletz for the millionth time. Continue getting landslided by clearly better teams, it doesn't matter if I average 15-17 kills every match and try to push as hard as possible with good clam collecting if no one else on the team is even trying - can't say a guy constantly getting splatted and not getting any clams at all, showing off his 1 kill on final scoreboard is trying. I've managed to wipe the enemy team out by myself and try to push only to see the other three squids on my team back off into our spawn to ink! Of course the whole enemy team averages 10-17 kills, constantly has 20 clams total and just knows how you should play the game. I feel humiliated. I want to like this mode and I do but oh my goodness it is hard! How do people as bad as the squids I keep seeing even get to S?!

Then when I finally seem to have a good team after a horrendous loss streak and we start really strong despite our weird weapon combo (luna blaster/e-liter/octobrush/roller), someone dcs. Thank you random flingza roller dude, big effing thank's.

Phew, now that I got all that out of my system I can relax :p

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This annoys me, so what better place to talk about this? :P

I've started up a competitive team, and recruiting members is slow going. Part of the issue is that so many free agents have unrealistic expectations. These free agents frequently want teams of B LUTI rank and higher that are already established and play daily and etc., all manner of requirements like that. Problem is though... there's not that many B and higher teams going around! Certainly not enough to satisfy all the free agents floating about. It's not exactly a coincidence that I see many of the same people posting their free agent ads for weeks on end. It's almost like they can't land a team because there aren't any that meet such lofty requirements...

Teams don't get established without effort, and no one starts immediately at a high competitive position no matter how good they are. Admittedly a lot of team owners have similarly unrealistic requirements for recruits. Many free agents and team owners alike could benefit from a little humility. Eh! I'll keep at it.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Dessgeega Sounds like quite a lot of work. :scared: I was never quite sure about how everything gets coordinated; sounds like a real pain in the ***, but I guess that's to be expected with a multiplayer game with a niche competitive community. I'd love to join such a thing, if it weren't such an investment. You said "English-speaking side", which I assume means everyone but the Japanese?

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This annoys me, so what better place to talk about this? :p

I've started up a competitive team, and recruiting members is slow going. Part of the issue is that so many free agents have unrealistic expectations. These free agents frequently want teams of B LUTI rank and higher that are already established and play daily and etc., all manner of requirements like that. Problem is though... there's not that many B and higher teams going around! Certainly not enough to satisfy all the free agents floating about. It's not exactly a coincidence that I see many of the same people posting their free agent ads for weeks on end. It's almost like they can't land a team because there aren't any that meet such lofty requirements...

Teams don't get established without effort, and no one starts immediately at a high competitive position no matter how good they are. Admittedly a lot of team owners have similarly unrealistic requirements for recruits. Many free agents and team owners alike could benefit from a little humility. Eh! I'll keep at it.
It says a lot about a player if they are completely unwilling to try to build something of their own. Not everyone can be a dreamer, but it seems like the free agents you mention don’t want to put the work in, team-wise. Keep looking, and good luck. You’ll find people who fit with your vision eventually.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@Dessgeega Sounds like quite a lot of work. :scared: I was never quite sure about how everything gets coordinated; sounds like a real pain in the ***, but I guess that's to be expected with a multiplayer game with a niche competitive community. I'd love to join such a thing, if it weren't such an investment. You said "English-speaking side", which I assume means everyone but the Japanese?
It really just comes down to networking. Making friends and contacts for scrims and tourneys, gathering people, managing schedules and coordinating. I organized raids on an MMO for four years, I'm skilled at herding cats :p As for the "investment", it basically comes down to committing to play with specific people (your group) 2-5 times a week. Speaking of, those groups and people that expect activity every single day clearly don't have bills to pay, hah.

And yeah, I'm not too familiar with it but JP players have their own meta and competitive community, over here's a little different.

It says a lot about a player if they are completely unwilling to try to build something of their own. Not everyone can be a dreamer, but it seems like the free agents you mention don’t want to put the work in, team-wise. Keep looking, and good luck. You’ll find people who fit with your vision eventually.
Thanks. Yeah, you're right. Starting from scratch isn't easy but it isn't a monumental task either. Just give me some decent folks that are willing to improve and are nice enough to be around and I'd be satisfied :p

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Playing Splatling
Shooting off some rounds,about to splat someone
Teammate steps in front of me,cutting off my shots and gets both of us splatted
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Kindred! *offers hug*

As a fan of the heavy splatling ever since unlocking it in Splatoon 1, I understand your pain... and continue wishing for a splatling friendly fire turned on piercing mechanic like the chargers'.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Kindred! *offers hug*

As a fan of the heavy splatling ever since unlocking it in Splatoon 1, I understand your pain... and continue wishing for a splatling friendly fire turned on piercing mechanic like the chargers'.
I wish shooting my own players either healed them or killed them because crappy players standing in front of me (sometimes to viciously steal my kills, but usually to get us both killed) is the bane of my existence. If shots healed, at least something good could come from it. If they killed, at least something good could come from it.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
If I had World's Most Hyper-Aggressive Player award, I would like to give it to guy in my TW matches today... seriously, his skills are pro level and his splats were often over 10. I've left lobby to check guy's rank out and it's S+50. Other players were under S rank.
Thanks mate

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
If I had World's Most Hyper-Aggressive Player award, I would like to give it to guy in my TW matches today... seriously, his skills are pro level and his splats were often over 10. I've left lobby to check guy's rank out and it's S+50. Other players were under S rank.

Nintendo, pls don't put us in lobby with X-ranked players.
Been here a few times. It gets pretty discouraging trying to use Turf War as a grounds to try out and discover new weapons and ideas only to run into a squid whose only objective in life is to crush his enemies, see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Been here a few times. It gets pretty discouraging trying to use Turf War as a grounds to try out and discover new weapons and ideas only to run into a squid whose only objective in life is to crush his enemies, see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentations of the woomies.
Fixed that for you. Guy and I are often those squids :oops:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I usually try to curb my
*ahem*
shooter instinct when I play turf, especially when I group with friends and I get paired with lower leveled peeps.
I tend to shark league and ranked S+ so you if you're not there you're safe o3o

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
More often than not I tend to be that guy in my games. But it does tend to become problem because I am usually not using weapons that I am comfortable with. I use Turf to try out new weapons and experiment with new ideas. But usually altering my play or going to another lobby fixes those problems.

Absolutely Absol

Pro Squid
Guys, I had never encountered all of you (actually, just one, IIRC) in my non-private matches... hahaha but it seems be more Japanese players in EU matchmaking than usual.

Not sure if they are just Japanese with EU game, Japanese fluent or just randomly pick letters.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Been here a few times. It gets pretty discouraging trying to use Turf War as a grounds to try out and discover new weapons and ideas only to run into a squid whose only objective in life is to crush his enemies, see them driven before him, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
These (what I dub "hyperaggressive") players are the reason why, after a failed attempt at leasurely testing out a new weapon, I go back to sniping the living hell outta people because I can't seem to find any more relaxed lobbies anymore. I mean I try to curb my bloodlust when first diving into splats for the day, but I tend to run into hyperaggressive players fairly fast, and go hyperaggressive myself as a response because otherwise I'd risk getting steamrolled. It's a vicious cycle, really. And maybe hyperaggressiveness doesn't really exist and we're just victims to our own negativity bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom