• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Fan Language of Splatoon

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
How does this world view higher education, anyway?

Or, on that note, how does a Nintendo franchise view them?

Do all of them have a series of colleges all part of the Big Nin?
What do you mean? How do Inklings view higher education? What are popular degrees among Pokemon trainers? What options are available to under-performing Zebesians? What is the drop-out rate in Dreamland? How much does a semester cost at the University of Weyard? What does one expect from a General Studies curriculum in Colony 6?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
What do you mean? How do Inklings view higher education? What are popular degrees among Pokemon trainers? What options are available to under-performing Zebesians? What is the drop-out rate in Dreamland? How much does a semester cost at the University of Weyard? What does one expect from a General Studies curriculum in Colony 6?
We have just created Fanfic fuel.

Oh, and considering this part is called Inkopolis University, I had to ask.

Turf War Theory?

Pokemon Theory?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Tonight I recorded the voice work for the videos. My Inkling speech was substandard because I had to switch between English and Inkling mid-sentence. That totally threw a wrench in my brain's language gears, lemme tell ya. As of now, the editing is being worked on. I'll give you updates in the coming week as I get them.

Trust me, guys. You're gonna love this.

We have just created Fanfic fuel.
Yes, but how do the Kokiri go to universities if they're perpetually children? Are they enrolled in elementary school their whole lives?

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Tonight I recorded the voice work for the videos. My Inkling speech was substandard because I had to switch between English and Inkling mid-sentence. That totally threw a wrench in my brain's language gears, lemme tell ya. As of now, the editing is being worked on. I'll give you updates in the coming week as I get them.
What is your narration style like? I would typically go for one like XboxAhoy because I have the deep voice, but not the British accent.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Calamari sounds much more closer to Japanese than any dialect, may I add.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
On a side note, have any of you heard the "Original Traditional Salted Fish Melody?" It is so nice.

It proves at least Calamari shares similar structure to Japanese in terms of phonetics.

I am probably gonna add interpretation in a bit I might save that for later.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Howzabout that Calamari County accent write-up, eh? Still working on that?
It's "complete" for now; the only real things I would really make for it are some more vernacular terminology. I have already detailed mechanics changes, phonetic shifts, and the like.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: There's really no mechanics/grammar changes, and there's a ton of phonetic shift.

OTHER EDIT: I am going to make a chart detailing all dialects/etc.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Tonight I updated the PDF with a bunch of fresh idioms and other useful kinds of sentences. Plus a few vocab words. Adding this here, the second page, and the website.

Nouns:
Star
Spice
Snail
Super Sea Snail

Helpful Phrases:
No way!
Although...
Too bad.
En route
Except for...
In other words...
I'm afraid that...
Welcome!
Who cares?
No matter what/who/when/where/why/etc...
For example,...
Whatever.
Maybe...
Now's our chance!
By the way,...
Well done!
No big deal.
No wonder...
What a shame.
What the heck?

Idioms:
To "star jump" = To Try One’s Best, To Go For Broke, To Go Huge
"Spice of God" = Second To None, Without Equal
To "wear new shoes" = To Turn Things Around, To Make a Comeback
A "snail person" = Someone who hangs around Inkopolis Plaza socializing instead of battling, a Mallrat
A "train conductor" = A Teammate Who Pulls a Lackluster Team to Victory, a Tryhard
A "far mind" = AFK, or Someone Whose Body Is There But Their Mind Is Miles Away, a Daydreamer
A "painter" = A Teammate Who Doesn’t Contribute Much
A "hot mouth" = A Total Freakin’ Jerk, a Bully

@EclipseMT just send me a PM or post here when your guide to Calamari County's dialect is good to go. I'll plug it in and zip, bam, boom!

Attachments

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
In the long run, it is up to @theFIZZYnator and his interpretation, but my guess is that Schoolhouse/Inkopolis is equivalent to the Yamanote and Edo dialects in Tokyo Japanese.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
In the long run, it is up to @theFIZZYnator and his interpretation, but my guess is that Schoolhouse/Inkopolis is equivalent to the Yamanote and Edo dialects in Tokyo Japanese.
Didn't you come up with Calamari County's dialect? Fizzy already gave me his article about Inkopolitan.

EDIT: Just a chart on those phonetic shifts and some vocabulary are really all I'd need.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Didn't you come up with Calamari County's dialect? Fizzy already gave me his article about Inkopolitan.

EDIT: Just a chart on those phonetic shifts and some vocabulary are really all I'd need.
Again, YMMV. I thought of my view solely to give association to the "Schoolhouse" dialect with Inkopolis (primarily the middle-upper class), like how Yamanote Japanese was viewed in the Meiji era in current-day Tokyo.

The reverse for Edo-ben and our "urban" dialect; it's more non-formal like my alleged Japanese dialectical equivalent.

Both dialects are all subdivisions of a group equivalent to Kanto Japanese regardless, if this Edo/Yamanote classification (the subdivision of Tokyo dialect) is ignored.

EDIT: Even the way Fizzy wrote the history fits: the dialect exists long before current Inkopolis, like how (correct me if I am wrong) Edo-ben existed long before the Tokugawa shogunate came to the area.

TL;DR: Schoolhouse = Yamanote == Urban "Inkopolis" = Edo.

In terms of the chart, it's relatively short. Expect it by the end of this week. It will have a few vocabulary as well as a segment how in Eastern, certain sounds mutated into others (KIM internally, Western is the older dialect).

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
You also might want to note that Calamari is extremely traditional and bookish.

EDIT: Also, the character [ati] in the East is [dan] in the West.

[Arui pyazon su nori ziton]

OTHER EDIT: May I mention that [hoi] and [siikan] are vernacular greetings? Both are informal, one traditional (the latter).

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
With Eclipse's dialect guide, we have officially hit fifty pages of Inkling conlang content! Download it!

For NaNoWriMo (and to show off our language), I'm thinking of making another comic written in Inkling. Something about ten to fifteen pages long.

What should it be about?

Attachments

calthax

Inkling
With Eclipse's dialect guide, we have officially hit fifty pages of Inkling conlang content! Download it!

For NaNoWriMo (and to show off our language), I'm thinking of making another comic written in Inkling. Something about ten to fifteen pages long.

What should it be about?
The sequel to Callie's War, maybe with Marie instead.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Going back to working on my "eight-limbed" Gonami language.

Also, some errata on my part:

Palatalized consonants not covered by the [*ie] vs. [*ya] shift are represented with [*i] before the [y*] character.

And [ati] becoming [dan] is official.

Also, my "last second" vernacular terms.

Arui pyazon.

piboy430

Inkling
Back again with some stuff!

First off, errors in the PDF:
  • (Page 1) Shouldn't the text at the very top of the grammar guide have a 'tu' at the end, rather than a 'te'? That is, if the word DOES use the 'tu' suffix.
  • (Page 24) 'To welcome' should be {raisíkakoi}, not just {raisíka}

Secondly, some new vocab words for you!

Nouns

{čímo} - House
{téčimo} - Home (lit. contraction of 'personal house')
{kisézo} - Season
{pihái} - Spring (season)
{sonái} - Summer
{atáise} - Autumn
{bihúyo} - Winter
{atáisewagu} - Halloween (lit. Autumn Party. Should we even have words for holidays?)
{bihúyowagu} - Christmas (lit. Winter Party)
{giúno} - Versus (kind of surprised we don't have this word yet...). Taken from in-game text on the Battle Dojo.
{anopaizárazoi} - Zombie (lit. again alive person). For the EU Splatfest!
{dáimezoi} - Ghost (lit. transparent person). Also for the Splatfest!

Adjectives

{dáime} - Transparent
{uyedáime} - Translucent
{žodáime} - Opaque
{téši} - Personal
{kižóe} - Modern
{gíže} - Present
{ráe} - Ancient

Derived Words

Nouns

{dáimero} - Transparency, Lucidity
{uyedáimero} - Translucency
{žodáimero} - Opacity
{iyočíro} - Life (not derived from the above, but a word that we need!)
{téširo} - Personality
{gižéro} - Present (day)
{ráero} - Past

Adjectives

{kisézošai} - Seasonal
{téčimošai} - Cozy (lit. adjective form of 'home')

Verbs

{dáimekoi} - To be lucid, to be understood (lit. to transparent)
{uyedáimekoi} - To be unclear (lit. to translucent)
{žodáimekoi} - To be oblivious to (lit. to opaque)
{giúnokoi} - To be against (someone) (lit. to versus)

Thirdly, using some of the above vocab, I made a thing for this Splatfest!

(Pardon the terrible photoshop skills)

We've been having a lack of actual content being created using our language, so I thought I should make something!

Edit: Added the words for 'season', all the seasons, Halloween, Christmas, and other things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom