The Fan Language of Splatoon

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Do you want me to reupload the PDF so you can copy the notes?
Could you? I'll see if I can find a place for them. At least a blurb.

And @theFIZZYnator I just noticed your edit with your suggested vocab. Gonna start on all that tonight. It's gonna be a busy week for me so hang in there.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Could you? I'll see if I can find a place for them. At least a blurb.

And @theFIZZYnator I just noticed your edit with your suggested vocab. Gonna start on all that tonight. It's gonna be a busy week for me so hang in there.
To summarize: Phonetic shift, lots of it, and some vernacular vocabulary.

EDIT: Here it is.

OTHER EDIT: New, better version. Just realized I had to compile it in PDF form.

EDIT: Removed redundancy between here and Highcolor.

Attachments

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I need to do a lot of huge rewriting, so before all this gets published in the Guide, wait a moment.

Perhaps you can write a guide as to what the Standard Inkling is?

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
{iyáezoikoi} = to rule (lit. to king/queen)
{iyáe} already means "to rule." King/queen is "person who rules." So I'd think of {iyáezoikoi} as meaning either "to make oneself the leader," or "to boss around."
{kurokói} = to blow (lit. to air)
If {ro} is the noun suffix, can we just retroactively make {ku} the verb "to blow"? According to Edge, it's not taken. I hadn't seen there was already a word ending in {ro} when I made that. :|
{mišáiyakoi} = to learn; to school
Oh, good! "To learn"! We needed that. So this word means "to learn" or "to teach" depending on context? If so, here's an idea: when a distinction needs to be made, to teach is to "school by talking" (to lecture) and to learn is to "school by writing." (to take notes)

I also think all of these should be included in the dictionary, but not necessarily in the guide. Either that, or to have a special section for derived words.

Also, is {kéna} ("earth, ground") the right word to use for that thing you're supposed to shoot at in the main game mode? Or is there a different word for "turf"?

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I need to do a lot of huge rewriting, so before all this gets published in the Guide, wait a moment.

Perhaps you can write a guide as to what the Standard Inkling is?
I've written in my document that a "Schoolhouse" Inkling exists, but most Inklings use Urban Inkling (Inkopolis Inkling) in almost every occasion, from Turf Wars to shopping to social networking.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Wait wait wait so the language in the guide isn't the Inkopolis dialect? Then what is in our guide?
I also think all of these should be included in the dictionary, but not necessarily in the guide. Either that, or to have a special section for derived words.
Don't worry. I'm only going to include the ones from that list that are useful and not completely obvious or redundant.

Also, is {kéna} ("earth, ground") the right word to use for that thing you're supposed to shoot at in the main game mode? Or is there a different word for "turf"?
Indeed it is. Although the word for "turf war" in Inkling is "arena battle".

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Wait wait wait so the language in the guide isn't the Inkopolis dialect? Then what is in our guide?
What I was guessing was that standard Inkling was Inkopolis dialect, and either:

* Fizzy's dialect is a subdialect within that (Kanto Japanese has several known dialects, including Yamanote, Tama, etc.), or...
* it is a dialect of a different region.

EDIT: What does he say about it?

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
It's Schoolehouse Inkling, if you haven't read my document. Schoolhouse Inkling I envision as a slightly conservative form of Inkling, and Urban Inkling the vernacular or lingua franca in and around the densely populated area of Inkopolis.
EDIT: Think of Schoolhouse as keigo and Urban as jōtai.

Last edited:

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Calamari euphemism: |Chubadanoya!|

Translation: "(Come try to) spit on us!"

EDIT: I wonder if Inkopolis inklings would make the satire series "Meanwhile in Calamari" to jab at Calamari inklings....at least those oblivious to one very important fact.

Last edited:

Coelpts

Inkling
NNID
Coelpts
goibu- Truth, honest
narai- Lie, cheat
likewise, naraikoi is to lie or to cheat, and goibukoi is to be honest or truthful

odd how we didn't have those.

piboy430

Inkling
Found a few mistakes in the PDF that need fixing:

Page 31: 'Good-bye' is shown as being read 'hanu', but the characters say 'henu' (how was this not picked up sooner? It's not like it's not a common word...)
Page 39: Example sentence 'Rice is being eaten' has the old 'že' in the word 'reyuže'

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Added your vocab and corrections, @piboy430 and @Coelpts.

Page 31: 'Good-bye' is shown as being read 'hanu', but the characters say 'henu' (how was this not picked up sooner? It's not like it's not a common word...)
Because conlanging is 10% creating vocabulary and grammar and 90% correcting for changes and mistakes. I've found a ton more that are likely already fixed but not uploaded yet. Again, thanks for pointing those out!

Expect updates on the video lessons next week.

Coelpts

Inkling
NNID
Coelpts
a spelling error: the word 'State of being', sigushai, is spelt magushai on page 17.

in addition, a possible slang term i like to use?
sijesi, meaning "it is what it is" or "that's how it goes" (lit. to be only to be)

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Inkling language subdivisions:

* Western (incl. Calamari and outlying regions)
* Eastern, which includes:
** Standard Inkling. Further subdivided into:
***Inkopolis
* Transitional dialects (Barrier, etc.)

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
a spelling error: the word 'State of being', sigushai, is spelt magushai on page 17.

in addition, a possible slang term i like to use?
sijesi, meaning "it is what it is" or "that's how it goes" (lit. to be only to be)
Sonans.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
The commission has been paid. The recording script is finalized. All the images and music has been collected. The style and pacing has been decided upon. All that remains is recording the voice work and editing it all together. Oh, and making a logo.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
How does this world view higher education, anyway?

Or, on that note, how does a Nintendo franchise view them?

Do all of them have a college part of the Big Nin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom