• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

calthax

Inkling
I updated the PDF with a section on suffixes and other corrections. Find it on this post and on the second page.

As for Inkopolis University, I'm sort of sitting here twiddling my thumbs as my friend recovers from her operation. I am polishing this script to the nth degree to maximum clarity and entertainment value. Here is the latest copy of the lessons. It's about all I can give you at this point.
On the three links at the end, you should remove those, cause they say the account is terminated.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
On the three links at the end, you should remove those, cause they say the account is terminated.
Yes. To nobody's surprise, Nintendo claimed copyright in their own soundtrack. Those were just notes to my friend. Not sure how or if Nintendo would have a problem with us using small clips of those songs in our videos.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Yes. To nobody's surprise, Nintendo claimed copyright in their own soundtrack. Those were just notes to my friend. Not sure how or if Nintendo would have a problem with us using small clips of those songs in our videos.
Fair use doesn't apply in Japan, unfortunately.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Even if we don't monetize the videos?
AFAIK, the United States is the only country with a fair use clause.

I don't know of such a section in international law, but apparently EU adopted a similar (but more restrictive) law.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Here's a nifty HTML5 & CSS3 tip for notating Inkling text that you can use in Inkopolis University:

CSS:
@font-face {
/* import Sunken Sans webfont */
/* if desired, import Octoling webfont */
}
abbr {
font-family: "Inkling", monospace;
}
dfn {
font-family: "Octoling", monospace;
}

HTML:
<p>Normal text in English</p>
<p>"Train" in Inkling is <abbr title="deiša">`¡Õ</abbr>.</p>
<p>"Train" in Octoling is <dfn title="denša">DSht</abbr>.</p>
NOTE: `¡Õ is the code for typing deiša in Sunken Sans. DSht is the code for typing denša in my Octoling font. title="..." is the reading.

This results in smooth, inline Inkling/Octoling text with its reading provided on mouse over (albeit manually).

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Ironically, with a semicognate of Nintendo as "god," 任天堂 actually means "leave it to heaven's temple" with those characters (some sources say "leave luck to heaven").

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Here's a nifty HTML5 & CSS3 tip for notating Inkling text that you can use in Inkopolis University:

CSS:
@font-face {
/* import Sunken Sans webfont */
/* if desired, import Octoling webfont */
}
abbr {
font-family: "Inkling", monospace;
}
dfn {
font-family: "Octoling", monospace;
}

HTML:
<p>Normal text in English</p>
<p>"Train" in Inkling is <abbr title="deiša">`¡Õ</abbr>.</p>
<p>"Train" in Octoling is <dfn title="denša">DSht</abbr>.</p>
NOTE: `¡Õ is the code for typing deiša in Sunken Sans. DSht is the code for typing denša in my Octoling font. title="..." is the reading.

This results in smooth, inline Inkling/Octoling text with its reading provided on mouse over (albeit manually).
As a followup to this post, I've created the Inkling and Octoling fonts. They are exported in OpenType and WOFF, for use as webfonts. Here is the nexus, since direct MediaFire links are a bítch in this site.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Try integrate 「もっと、スピードを上げろ!」 in the language with the exact same phonemes, and keeping the same meaning (it means "Go faster/speed up" but word-for-word, means "Raise up the speed more!")

|Supiedo| can be "speed," I guess?

Or |Motosupiedoagero| can be that phrase to mean "speed up!" (BTW I removed all gemination and vowel lengthening).

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Try integrate 「もっと、スピードを上げろ!」 in the language with the exact same phonemes, and keeping the same meaning (it means "Go faster/speed up" but word-for-word, means "Raise up the speed more!")

|Supiedo| can be "speed," I guess?

Or |Motosupiedoagero| can be that phrase to mean "speed up!" (BTW I removed all gemination and vowel lengthening).
|ie| is /ie/. The one you're looking for is |ii|. In addition, I dislike any blatant copy-paste when making a language. This just goes over the line.

Andy-the-Dandy

Inkling
NNID
Fast_Attack
As a followup to this post, I've created the Inkling and Octoling fonts. They are exported in OpenType and WOFF, for use as webfonts. Here is the nexus, since direct MediaFire links are a bítch in this site.
I'm getting that all four of the Inkling font links are the same: Sunken Sans in OTF. The Octoling downloads are both correct, though. It must be those pesky Octarians, always hacking into the mainframe and stuff.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I updated the Guide with new content because we somehow lacked the following:

-a way to say "there is" or "there are"
-comparisons like "A is less B than C" and "A is just as B as C"
-a word for "fish"
-a word for "easy"
-the names of the Splatoon maps, most of which vary greatly from their English names
-and lots more!

EDIT: Guide deleted. Find the updated version below.

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I updated the Guide with new content because we somehow lacked the following:

-a way to say "there is" or "there are"
-comparisons like "A is less B than C" and "A is just as B as C"
-a word for "fish"
-a word for "easy"
-the names of the Splatoon maps, most of which vary greatly from their English names
-and lots more!
Cool! In the next version, could you mention that "quarter", "half", and "three quarters" are used telling time as :15, :30, and :45, respectively?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Tonight's additions:

-Fizzy's suggestion about using fractions as time measurements
-More verbs
-More adjectives including tastes, "lucky", and "boring"
-"Also", "Too", "Just/Only", "Already", "Other"
-Three slang terms: a pictograph for "hilarious", "milky" as an adjective for "plain, ordinary, boring", and "salty" as "peeved, frustrated, butthurt". Now THAT'S a carry-over from English.

In other disappointing news, my friend has mid-terms right now. I'm just sitting on this script. Here's the latest version in case anyone wants to look it over again.

Attachments

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Tonight's additions:

-Fizzy's suggestion about using fractions as time measurements
-More verbs
-More adjectives including tastes, "lucky", and "boring"
-"Also", "Too", "Just/Only", "Already", "Other"
-Three slang terms: a pictograph for "hilarious", "milky" as an adjective for "plain, ordinary, boring", and "salty" as "peeved, frustrated, butthurt". Now THAT'S a carry-over from English.

In other disappointing news, my friend has mid-terms right now. I'm just sitting on this script. Here's the latest version in case anyone wants to look it over again.
Nice. Can I ask you to add the two extra tastes, umami and oleogustus? They are the two most recently discovered tastes a human can taste. Umami is the taste of glutamic acid found in soy sauce (and many Japanese foods), cheese, and ketchup. Oleogustus is fattiness, but the "delicious" kind.

EDIT: Gonna need words for:
"font" (zhitai?)
"sans-serif" (gosziku?)
"serif" (miyuczo?)
"bold" (tuako "fat"?)
"italic/oblique" (szatai? this should also double up as a normal word for slanted/leaning/slouching)
"underline" (pinu eda "below line"/dadusze eda "low line"?)
and "strikethrough" (zhiege eda "through line"?).

Should I write a manual for how to make an Inkling font?

Last edited:

piboy430

Inkling
It's suddenly gone very quiet on here... time to lighten up the mood!

So recently, I've gone through the new suffixes (btw, excellent idea! They should help make the construction of words far more consistent and easy!). Whilst there are way too many new words that have come from these than could possibly be allowable on a single post, I thought that I might as well complete this new corner of the lexicon.

Beneath, I have listed all of the new verbs created with the suffix {koi} from just the nouns that we currently have (some just don't work as verbs, hence why not all are present). I've inferred some meanings from the original words (for example: {edakói} is literally 'to line', but I've taken it to mean 'to cross out'). I'm not sure whether these would be suitable to add to the PDF or not, but what the hey, here goes!

{muyokói} = to ink; to stain
{hunepokói} = to brush; to paint
{ŧurožikói} = to charge
{oizóikoi} = to pulsate (lit. to jellyfish)
{maiyoéyukoi} = to pant (lit. to dog)
{ayoritakói} = to shop
{náizikoi} = to befriend
{sigunáikoi} = to make an enemy
{šidezóikoi} = to be passionate (lit. to fanboy/girl)
{iyáezoikoi} = to rule (lit. to king/queen)
{žubóikoi} = to pour; to water (a plant)
{žamakói} = to annoy
{nežúzukoi} = to wrap around (lit. to tentacle)
{edakói} = to cross out (lit. to line)
{dutikói} = to team up
{fenázekoi} = to build; to construct (structures, words, etc.)
{ikóreoeikoi} = to trend; to obsess (lit. to fad)
{gobikói} = to strike; to blast
{badáidokoi} = to guide (lit. to method)
{eyaŧukói} = to hand over
{zóitokoi} = to punch
{zoúkoi} = to poke (lit. to stick)
{táisikoi} = to be contempt (lit. to peace)
{mamegáizekoi} = to drink (alcohol)
{náinakoi} = to milk
{čimáikekoi} = to fizz (lit. to soda)
{ninuténokoi} = to worship (lit. to god)
{bohomikói} = to cluster; to gather (lit. to squad)
{zaŧadíukoi} = to dominate (lit. to kraken)
{žamepáikoi} = to tower over
{eyásukoi} = to colour in
{pifakói} = to skin (an animal)
{fetafekói} = to swell; to balloon
{žažúzikoi} = to take a picture; to snapshot
{refakói} = to isolate; to fence off
{kapáokoi} = to explode
{mišáiyakoi} = to learn; to school
{wagukói} = to party; to celebrate
{odokói} = to spike; to prick (lit. to sea urchin)
{rédukoi} = to slink (lit. to tiger)
{zaraišaégekoi} = to be overcast
{réyadukoi} = to draw (lit. to art)
{ŧasúyokoi} = to bleed
{kižaoyubáikoi} = to camp (lit. to tent)
{šitúekoi} = to lick (lit. to tongue)
{číhakoi} = to chew (lit. to teeth)
{žikákoi} = to barge (lit. to shoulder)
{kažíkoi} = to nudge (lit. to elbow)
{eyóbukoi} = to point (lit. to finger)
{íwekoi} = to stomach; to endure
{eyánukoi} = to kick (lit. to foot)
{mímukoi} = to poison
{žékakoi} = to burn (lit. to fire)
{kurokói} = to blow (lit. to air)
{gékakoi} = to fish
{toyáčakoi} = to command, to order
{dízakoi} = to shock (electrical)
{táidakoi} = to nurture; to parent

These last three are slightly questionable as to weather they should be separate verbs. I'll let the community decide (although I was going off of the Japanese, which also has separate words for these things):

{patákoi} = to wear a hat; to shield one’s head
{unónokoi} = to wear shoes
{ŧičakói} = to wear (clothes in general); to don

As always, let me know if I've made a mistake anywhere!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom