The Fan Language of Splatoon

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
@PiyozR The inkling characters themselves.

Currently, the only computer support is fonts that just define inkling glyphs over most of the first 256 characters in Unicode. What I'm working on right now is mapping Inkling into the Private Use Area as a language. I'm also working simultaneously on an old-school 8-bit mapping for reasons of geekery. :D

My goal is making the language itself relatively easy to process, as if it were English or Japanese. Most existing software that supports Unicode should work out-of-the-box with the mapping I'm working on.

Vylion

Inkling
@PiyozR I'm OK with using {biriono} for anemones and wild hair. I guess to specifically refer to anemone people we would use {birionozoi}, right?

I will be going by my other pseudonym "Milyard" or {miriado}, which imo works as well for a name, but doesn't quite work as well for a word.

Don't forget to list the words you like so I know what to use and what not (something I edited into my last post a little too late).

@Ikaheishi Will it work like a syllabary font, where there's some ligature-like mechanics going on and consecutive letters get substituted for a different character (in this case a Private Area character)? That would be pretty cool.

Also looking forward to your 8-bit one too.

Last edited:

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
I updated my program to show the current codepoints assigned to each character in the table.
Inkling 0-31.png
Will it work like a syllabary font, where there's some ligature-like mechanics going on and consecutive letters get substituted for a different character (in this case a Private Area character)? That would be pretty cool.

Also looking forward to your 8-bit one too.
No. I'm designating a single codepoint for each letter and digit. Plain and simple.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about making fonts (yet), so unless something changes, there won't be a font that made to these specifications when they're finished. However, I might make a spritesheet for use in an old-school game, and maybe even a sheet for modern games if I can be bothered to do so.

If you're wondering how I'm displaying Inkling characters in my program, it's because I'm storing a relationship to the glyph as it is in Sunken Sans. It's a work-around so I can at least produce something for now.

(ä¤ ²ê CA¡)

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Hey, just a heads up but I think there's a mistake on Page 20 of the PDF guide. The phrases for "mealtime," "breakfast," and "lunch" contain the word {zaíyaro}, but the Inkling text translates to {zaíyaba}, the same as "meal." Should it be {zaíyaba} considering "dinner, supper" and "snack" also contain {zaíyaba}? Or should it be {zaíyaro} and the Inkling text is wrong?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Hey, just a heads up but I think there's a mistake on Page 20 of the PDF guide. The phrases for "mealtime," "breakfast," and "lunch" contain the word {zaíyaro}, but the Inkling text translates to {zaíyaba}, the same as "meal." Should it be {zaíyaba} considering "dinner, supper" and "snack" also contain {zaíyaba}? Or should it be {zaíyaro} and the Inkling text is wrong?
Originally, {zaiyaro} was the word for "meal". We changed {zaiyaro} to "food" and {zaiyaba} to "meal". I just forgot to change the last two letters of the notation. Thank you for pointing that out! I made the correction and will upload a new version of the PDF with that and the new vocab above when I get the chance.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Glad I could help! I'm currently writing the information/vocab in my notebook so I'll let you know if I find any other mistakes

Edit: I noticed that's there no translation yet for "Ancho-V Games," presumably because it was the last map added in-game. I also noticed that names for certain locations end in the suffix {-pái}, such as "café" ({kefapái}) and "dining room" ({zaiyapái}). So maybe you could translate Ancho-V Games as {anočióbi žumapái} or something to that effect? (perhaps {žumapái} could be a translation for "arcade?")

If you need help translating stuff, I can see what I can do. Just let me know!

Last edited:

Vylion

Inkling
Perhaps it should be {zhumaipái} (with glyph "mai" instead of "ma")? I saw there's {zhumáimi} for "game", which I guess is where you got the idea. I like it

EDIT: Also some other words (I may be editing in more):
  • {áro} "letter" (as in, 1 singular writing glyph, not a mail).
  • {Zhíta} "digital" (as in, related to technology; not related to fingers)

Also, is there a way to say "to wonder", as in "to ask oneself"?

I also had an idea for a particle for reflexive action (English's "oneself"): {se}. It precedes the verb, and stays the same for all and any grammatical person. It ONLY works if it directly modifies the verb. (This is, "I shot myself in the foot" would use {se} but "I took a picture of myself" would not.)

Last edited:

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Perhaps it should be {zhumaipái} (with glyph "mai" instead of "ma")? I saw there's {zhumáimi} for "game", which I guess is where you got the idea. I like it
I did originally write {žumaipái}, but I thought the {maipái} part sounded awkward; {mapái} sounds more natural in my opinion. But either way I'm glad someone else likes it! (and yes, {žumáimi} was the source.)

I also had an idea for a particle for reflexive action (English's "oneself"): {se}. It precedes the verb, and stays the same for all and any grammatical person. It ONLY works if it directly modifies the verb. (This is, "I shot myself in the foot" would use {se} but "I took a picture of myself" would not.)
A fellow Spanish speaker I see? I like this idea! But would it work better preceding the verb or succeeding it? Because for example, the suffix {-koi} is added to nouns to transform them into verbs, such as {sigunái} ("enemy") becoming {sigunaikói} "to become enemies." So would it work better at the beginning of a verb of after it? Regardless I definitely think this should be implemented.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
This got cut out of my previous post for some reason:

Also, is there a way to say "to wonder", as in "to ask oneself"?
Perhaps {se} being used with an already existing word could work here? For example, {žizí} ("to keep in mind") could be transformed into {žizíse} or {sežizí} (literally "to keep oneself in mind," or "to keep in one's mind"); I wrote both versions as we obviously have to wait on a verdict on the placement of {se} in the verb. The same could be applied to {gúyo} "to stay" becoming {guyóse} or {segúyo} (lit. "to stay in oneself"). Or perhaps {zóiyo} ("to exist/to be present") could become {zoiyóse} or {sezóiyo} (lit. "to exist in oneself/to be present in oneself").

Those are my initial thoughts anyway.

Vylion

Inkling
I did originally write {žumaipái}, but I thought the {maipái} part sounded awkward; {mapái} sounds more natural in my opinion. But either way I'm glad someone else likes it! (and yes, {žumáimi} was the source.)

A fellow Spanish speaker I see? I like this idea! But would it work better preceding the verb or succeeding it? Because for example, the suffix {-koi} is added to nouns to transform them into verbs, such as {sigunái} ("enemy") becoming {sigunaikói} "to become enemies." So would it work better at the beginning of a verb of after it? Regardless I definitely think this should be implemented.
You see well; but funnily enough I was not inspired by Spanish when I thought up that particle. I did see the coincidence before posting the suggestion, and decided to leave it like this anyway.

I did say it should go before the verb; I think it works better this way, but it's just a personal opinion. I won't mind it if it's decided it should go after it.

(...) I also had an idea for a particle for reflexive action (English's "oneself"): {se}. It precedes the verb, and...
I also pictured it as an independent particle, like English's "will" for future or Inkling's "ya" for possessive. So, "to become your own enemy" would be {se sigunakói}.

This got cut out of my previous post for some reason:

Perhaps {se} being used with an already existing word could work here? For example, {žizí} ("to keep in mind") could be transformed into {žizíse} or {sežizí} (literally "to keep oneself in mind," or "to keep in one's mind"); I wrote both versions as we obviously have to wait on a verdict on the placement of {se} in the verb. The same could be applied to {gúyo} "to stay" becoming {guyóse} or {segúyo} (lit. "to stay in oneself"). Or perhaps {zóiyo} ("to exist/to be present") could become {zoiyóse} or {sezóiyo} (lit. "to exist in oneself/to be present in oneself").

Those are my initial thoughts anyway.
I came up with the particle {se} while wondering how to say "ask oneself" after not finding "to wonder" or an obvious alternative to it.

-------

Another suggestion: {nagízhe}, "recently"; from {nakí} "near" and {gízhe} "present"

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I did say it should go before the verb; I think it works better this way, but it's just a personal opinion. I won't mind it if it's decided it should go after it. I also pictured it as an independent particle, like English's "will" for future or Inkling's "ya" for possessive. So, "to become your own enemy" would be {se sigunakói}.
No I know that's what you said, I guess that part got cut out too but I think I said it would work better after the verb. An independent article might be a better choice, considering some verbs like {sigunaikói} already have a suffix.

I came up with the particle {se} while wondering how to say "ask oneself" after not finding "to wonder" or an obvious alternative to it.
That would explain it then. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all.

Vylion

Inkling
Ah, sorry, I understand it now. Yeah, let's see what Piyoz thinks

----------

EDIT: I wanted to derive "address" from "house direction", but we don't have a word for "direction". So I then wanted to derive "direction" from "path knowledge" or "to know the way", but I'm not sure how to mash 'em together. Considering "knowledge" is {sanero}, and "path" is {badáido}, I came up with:
  • {Sanedaido}: too many glyphs in my opinion.
  • {Sanebada}
  • We can further compress it to {sabada}
Which one do you guys prefer?

Also, going back to "address":
  • If we take {sanebada} + {chímo} we can get {sanebachímo}
  • If we take {sabada} + {chímo} we can get {sabachímo}
I think I personally prefer {sabada}, but I'm not sure so I want to hear your opinions.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Woah woah woah hold up, guys.

A word like {žumaipái} would totally be an awkward to pronounce word for "arcade". Inklings say {hofúyode} instead.

@Vylion 's words for "letter" and "digital" can totally be used. But the use of {se} as a reflexive particle is not something that fits into the grammar of Inkling. It's a bit too human. A bit too Latin. What we could do is invent a word for "the self" and use that after nouns or pronouns to indicate who is received the action.

You all just had to have all this on the one night this year that I went out to ripped with my friends, didn't you?

BTW @SyMag your EarthBound-flavored avatar is sick.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
Well you didn't have to answer lol

Is {hofúyode} in the PDF? I don't remember seeing it.

You're right in a sense, {se} I suppose is a little too close to reality. Well if we're going to invent a word for "the self"...perhaps taking a look at the other non-reflexive pronouns would help? From that I got a possible reflexive pronoun in the form of {iói}, though mixing the first- and third-person pronouns isn't 100% ideal. So because of that, perhaps {ído} (or {idó}) would be better suited for it (as it derives from one of Freud's terms for the mind, the id)? Or are we still too close to human language and should try and get something from scratch?

Also, a suggestion on the PDF. I often find myself getting confused, not because the guide is poorly written, but because the structuring is confusing. For instance you have the section on punctuation towards the end of the guide, when it should probably be near the beginning. And perhaps introduce a few new vocabulary terms every section (think like a language textbook) instead of getting it out of the way all at once. Believe me, all of that vocabulary in one place is just going to throw people off and potentially discourage them from learning Inkling. I'm not saying this to criticize, this is merely a suggestion, and if you need help in doing it I'll be glad to help.

And believe it or not I made that avatar for myself many moons ago. I'm glad someone likes it, I was beginning to think it was too childish-looking.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Is {hofúyode} in the PDF? I don't remember seeing it.
I just made it up last night lol

From that I got a possible reflexive pronoun in the form of {iói}, though mixing the first- and third-person pronouns isn't 100% ideal. So because of that, perhaps {ído} (or {idó}) would be better suited for it (as it derives from one of Freud's terms for the mind, the id)? Or are we still too close to human language and should try and get something from scratch?
How about the word {odo}? Or {udo}?

Also, a suggestion on the PDF. I often find myself getting confused, not because the guide is poorly written, but because the structuring is confusing. For instance you have the section on punctuation towards the end of the guide, when it should probably be near the beginning. And perhaps introduce a few new vocabulary terms every section (think like a language textbook) instead of getting it out of the way all at once. Believe me, all of that vocabulary in one place is just going to throw people off and potentially discourage them from learning Inkling. I'm not saying this to criticize, this is merely a suggestion, and if you need help in doing it I'll be glad to help.
We dumped in words in no order when we created them. It would take years to formulate the whole thing into organized language lessons. That's what the YouTube videos are for. The video lessons are for engagement and learning what the language is about and how to use it. The PDF is the raw data for vocabulary and pronunciation.

And believe it or not I made that avatar for myself many moons ago. I'm glad someone likes it, I was beginning to think it was too childish-looking.
It should look childish. It's EarthBound.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
I've finished making those glyph associations in my software.
Inkling.png
Now, you'll probably notice the difference for some of the letter's names. I had to create my own romanization that fits Unicode's requirements for character names. One of my friends also created their own romanization that has some benefits for computer processing, and fits the Unicode requirements as well. I've attached a list in PDF format that shows the three romanizations for each letter, and the names and codepoints for each character.

It would be appreciated if someone made a vector font to this specification. I'm not familiar with them beyond some loose knowledge of how they work, so I can't really make one. (And believe me, I tried to make one… It didn't work out. :()

Attachments

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I just made it up last night lol
Was there a logical way you came to that word or was it just "this sounds like Inkling, let's do that!" So Ancho-V games would be {anočióbi hofúyode}?

How about the word {odo}? Or {udo}?
Yeah I'm fine with that. Personally I think {udo} might be easier to pick out in speech, but {odo} sounds and looks nicer. Whichever one, it doesn't matter.

We dumped in words in no order when we created them. It would take years to formulate the whole thing into organized language lessons. That's what the YouTube videos are for. The video lessons are for engagement and learning what the language is about and how to use it. The PDF is the raw data for vocabulary and pronunciation.
Fair enough. Maybe that would be a fun little side project for me then

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I've finished making those glyph associations in my software.
Now, you'll probably notice the difference for some of the letter's names. I had to create my own romanization that fits Unicode's requirements for character names. One of my friends also created their own romanization that has some benefits for computer processing, and fits the Unicode requirements as well. I've attached a list in PDF format that shows the three romanizations for each letter, and the names and codepoints for each character.

It would be appreciated if someone made a vector font to this specification. I'm not familiar with them beyond some loose knowledge of how they work, so I can't really make one. (And believe me, I tried to make one… It didn't work out. :()
A vector font as in an .svg file converted to .txt? I haven't tried anything like this before but I do have Inkscape, so maybe tomorrow I can get on my parents' computer and see if I can't do anything to help out.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
A vector font as in an .svg file converted to .txt? I haven't tried anything like this before but I do have Inkscape, so maybe tomorrow I can get on my parents' computer and see if I can't do anything to help out.
I'm specifically meaning a TrueType or OpenType font. I used the term ‘vector’ in contrast to a bitmap font like what I'm working on ;):
Inkling Bitmap Font.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom