The Fan Language of Splatoon

Vylion

Inkling
You all just had to have all this on the one night this year that I went out to ripped with my friends, didn't you?
Lmao, sorry for the bad timing, man.

I had to disappear for some days because real life happens over here sometimes too, and it's going to happen really soon again, but I'll keep dropping by (until summer where I'll probably put up a tent in this thread).

I like the developments that the "self" concept has undergone.

Nice update! Although I see no geography or text-related new vocabulary. Was it a slip or were they not good enough for you? Das rood, man, you're going to make me cry. Which reminds me, did you miss my update on anemones? You never answered after the last time I got back to you about that.

If it was a slip, don't sweat it. Add it on the next update. I can compile the list in a new post if you want. If it was not good enough, I promise I will improve. Teach me, master. Pa mishaiyakói tóya, pa kaié. (Were there honorifics in Inkling? I swear I remember there being some sort of honorifics but I can't find 'em.)

(Man, it's a shame this thread will never count towards the "new-forum-member minimum post count" to get rid of the need for moderator approval)

Edit: I see there's no word for "polygon" or "polyhedron" themselves despite the nifty naming system for shapes. Since polygons are named [number of sides] + {shi}, and polyhedrons are named [number of sides per face] + {metái}, I'm going to suggest to call them {ómoshi} for "polygon", and {ometái} for "polyhedron, using {ómo} meaning "some" for both.

Also, there's no word for "thing/stuff". I suggest to use {uáro}, from {u} "one" and {-áro} a suffix shared by all the translations of English words ending with "-thing" (something, everything, anything). OR, just use the word for "something" again.

...And I'm going to add {hudómo} for "low", from {hudó} "less/fewer" and {ómo} "some".

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Nice update! Although I see no geography or text-related new vocabulary. Was it a slip or were they not good enough for you? Das rood, man, you're going to make me cry. Which reminds me, did you miss my update on anemones? You never answered after the last time I got back to you about that.
Oh crap, I forgot about that anemone bit! What was it again? I added in your text-related vocab, but what geography did you suggest?

(Were there honorifics in Inkling? I swear I remember there being some sort of honorifics but I can't find 'em.)
Inklings don't bother much with honorifics. The politest they will be is to use kaie, sukaie, žegai and sužegai appropriately.

Edit: I see there's no word for "polygon" or "polyhedron" themselves despite the nifty naming system for shapes. Since polygons are named [number of sides] + {shi}, and polyhedrons are named [number of sides per face] + {metái}, I'm going to suggest to call them {ómoshi} for "polygon" (from {ómo} "some") and... just {metái} for "polyhedron" (I would've liked to use just {shi} for "polygon" but I think it's too short).
I hardly even looked at the geometry vocab when I added it months ago. Is it even worth adding more?

Also, there's no word for "thing/stuff".
{tairo} is "thing/stuff"

...And I'm going to add {hudómo} for "low", from {hudó} "less/fewer" and {ómo} "some".
There's a word for "low" as in "downward" or "deep" in {dáduše}. Do you mean "low" as in "less in magnitude/quantity"?

Vylion

Inkling
I hardly even looked at the geometry vocab when I added it months ago. Is it even worth adding more?
I'm just adding the 2 generic words of "shape with a certain number of sides" or "polygon" and "shape with a certain number of faces" or "polyhedron"; it seems stupid to speak of stuff if we can't say what kind of stuff they are. Almost like having words for "apple", "strawberry", "pear", "peach", ... but having no word for "fruit".

{tairo} is "thing/stuff"
See, this is why I need to post somewhere where people can point at my mistakes. I'm SO good at missing things that are there.

There's a word for "low" as in "downward" or "deep" in {dáduše}. Do you mean "low" as in "less in magnitude/quantity"?
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, sorry for not specifying.

Oh crap, I forgot about that anemone bit! What was it again? I added in your text-related vocab, but what geography did you suggest?
The whole list of vocabulary I've ever suggested (minus the one you already added to the pdf) in this thread is here:

Literature and writing:
  • {Hazhiero}, noun meaning "writing, script" (also "alphabet", "syllabary"). (Note at the end of the post)
  • {Anerohazhu}, noun meaning "log" or "recording". From {anero} meaning "happening" and {hazhu} meaning "text", so it literally means "text of happenings". Semantically shifted to refer to any kind of recording, be it in actual text or in another medium, like audio or video.
  • {Aneroshaizhu}, noun meaning "chronicle" or something similar; from {aneroshai hazhu}.
  • {Anézhume}, noun meaning "log book, journal"; from {anerohazhu éyome}, literally "book of recordings".
  • {Teshízhume}, noun meaning "diary"; from {teshi anézhume}, literally "personal book of recordings". Can also be linked to {teshi hazhu eyome} "personal text book".
Geography:
  • {Hunagaeda}, noun meaning "mountain range", literally "mountain line".
  • {Shumadinaga}, noun used to refer to a cold, high mountain that has snow on its peak all year long. From {shumadi hunaga}
  • {Shumanagéda}, noun a mountain range made exclusively of mountains with eternal snow. From {shumadinaga eda} (I honestly don't know if we ever will use this one but I got excited about having a word for an specific kind of mountain)
  • {Shaeruro}, noun meaning "barrier". Any kind of barrier.
  • {Rusimara}, noun meaning "fence"; from {rusiro} and {mara}.
  • {Shaenaga}, noun meaning "geographical barrier".
Other:
  • {birióno}, noun for sea anemone. Also, "busy head", in the meaning of "having a lot of hair", "having wild hair", "having puffy hair", or "having flashy or extravagant hairstyle", or something on those lines.
  • {birionozói}, noun for sea anemone people.
  • {sanebada}/{sabada} noun for "direction", from {sanero} "knowledge" and {badáido} "path". I was unsure which one so I asked for feedback, but got none.
  • {sabachímo} noun for "address", from whichever it is "direction" and {chímo} house. Semantically shifted to refer to any kind of addresses, and not just houses or buildings.
  • {nagízhe}, descriptor meaning "recently"; from {nakí} "near" and {gízhe} "present/current".
  • {ómoshi}, noun for "polygon", literally "2D shape with some number of sides".
  • {ometái}, noun for "polyhedron", literally "3D shape with some number of faces".
  • {hudómo} descriptor for "low" (as in less in quantity/magnitude), from {hudó} "less/fewer" and {ómo} "some".
-------

By chance, I've happened to find {hazhiero} in your Seinfeld translation, and I can't deduce what exactly the Inkling meaning is (seems to substitute "hypothetical phone call"). It may be a mistake and you intended to use {hazhieshái}. Please tell me which one it is. Even in the case it's {hazhiero} I think the word can keep both meanings.

Also, I think that if we make a new word using the standard derivation suffixes, even if it's out there so people derive the most obvious things and avoid the need for having both "to work" and "worker" in the pdf, for those that aren't 120% obvious I think we should still specify them in the vocabulary list. For example, I feel like {hazhiero} for "script" and whatever use you make of it in your translation, and {zhizaipai} for "poin of view" (also from your Seinfeld translation), literally "location where thought takes place", are not that obvious.

--------

I realize now, I changed my profile picture after some posts. Did that throw you off?

Last edited:

Vylion

Inkling
Enough time has passed from the last post to allow a double post, I think. I'm going to link to a teaser related to that personal project I talked about.

It would be better if you opened the link in Chrome. It's more spectacular. I think the main element doesn't work in Firefox, and I didn't even think about IE/Edge compatibility.

Please @PiyozR question any and every translation choice you deem... Questionable.

Last edited:

Vylion

Inkling
Welp, tsuko i. You guys arent seeing the real magic going on. I'll edit this post later with a pic of how it's supposed to look.

Edit: here it is.

Which, yes, means that I've been able to work up an OpenType font with ligature mechanics. Happy birthday Piyoz! (?)

Actually, more than the blog, making the font was my personal project. The blog's just an extra and a testing ground. I'm glad I didn't say I was doing it, I managed to do it under the 2 days of the weekend. If I had announced it would've been probably like a month before I even started.

I took the glyphs from theFIZZYnator's Sunken Sans font. Honestly, I feel like he did most of the work even "post disappearance".
  • All glyphs except the Calamari N work.
  • Accepts acute accents (one max per glyph, for those that have more than one vowel, but it can be either).
  • It accepts either 'zh' and 'z with caron'.
  • It accepts either 'sh' and 's with caron'.
  • It accepts either 'ch' and 'c', but not 'c with caron', because I didn't see that FontForge recognized it. Maybe it was because the starting font I used had characters for 'z with caron' and 's with caron' but no 'c with caron'; I don't know, I didn't delve into it much.
  • It doesn't accept the 'strikenthrough t', because I forgot. Just the 'ts'.
  • The "ya" particle doesn't work. Since it's written with the "eya" character, I suggest it to write "eya". If you want I can add this ligature rule too though, that's easy.
  • The fusioned vowels don't work. It's a limitation of the technology. We'll have to go by writing the repeated vowel twice. I don't think this (along with the "ya" problem) is such a big deal, since many times languages aren't written exactly the same way they are pronounced. And romanization tends to favor pronunciation over original orthography so the differences between writing in "rominkling" and this font can be handwaved with that too imo.
  • To distinguish between {boi} written with {bo} and {i} or with {boi} I've worked a workaround: all glyphs that can be the ending part of another glyph accept a single quote before them too. For example, {boi} in 2 characters should be written {bo'i} and {anéna} should be written {a'nena}; the first detects the ligatures {bo} and {'i} (which is the same as just {i}, and {í}) and the second one detects the ligatures {a}, {'ne}, and {na}.
  • Capital letters don't work. This is intended, so you can still use the latin alphabet with this font for a few number of words. This means that all inkling must be written in lowercase letters, even the first in a sentence. Careful with autocorrectors.
  • The font doesn't work in most of Windows applications. A quick Google Search confirmed me that many don't even support it (Microsoft Word 2007 doesn't support it at all, and you must delve into Microsoft Word 2010's advanced configuration to enable ligatures, and even though LibreOffice's Writer supports in in Linux and Mac, the Windows version doesn't). Photoshop CS6 should be compatible, but I haven't yet figured out how. For now, if you want to write docs I'd recommend using Linux or Mac.
Also, I know, I'm using words that have not been accepted yet into the language. I am waiting for whether that happens, or whatever other words end up with those meanings. In the meanwhile, These are temporal placeholders.

For now, the blog can only be seen with the font installed, but I want to at least make it look like this for chrome users. Those who want to help me on that will have to wait before installing the font, and we'll continue the conversation through PM so as not to clutter this thread.

Here's a link to the zip with the latest version of the font.

Last edited:

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
VERY interesting...

But for real that's awesome! I only saw the Latin alphabet when I checked it out yesterday, but that's very impressive.

And happy birthday Piyoz (if it's your birthday)!

Vylion

Inkling
And happy birthday Piyoz (if it's your birthday)!
I was joking with the birthday stuff, with the font being kinda like a present... I was split between that and "Merry Christmas". Should've gone with "Merry Christmas".

Also you only see the latin alphabet because you don't have the font installed and I haven't figured it out how to have it working online without having it installed yet.

Last edited:

Vylion

Inkling
You can download the font from the screenshot post and get it working for yourself too, I added a zip file with it.

I'm going to make some more vocabulary suggestions:
  • {eyomegái} "library".
  • {anezhumegái} "archive", following my {anézhume} suggestion.
  • {wafikói} "to be surprised".

Last edited:

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Which, yes, means that I've been able to work up an OpenType font with ligature mechanics.
NOICE!

This is going to be way more convenient than hunting and pecking through Sunken Sans.

To distinguish between {boi} written with {bo} and {i} or with {boi} I've worked a workaround: all glyphs that can be the ending part of another glyph accept a single quote before them too. For example, {boi} in 2 characters should be written {bo'i} and {anéna} should be written {a'nena}; the first detects the ligatures {bo} and {'i} (which is the same as just {i}, and {í}) and the second one detects the ligatures {a}, {'ne}, and {na}.
This is one of the reasons my friend created the romanization that he did. The romanization for each inkling letter is distinct. On my sheet, it's the rightmost one. I've personally dubbed it “Pika Roman”.

The font doesn't work in most of Windows applications. A quick Google Search confirmed me that many don't even support it (Microsoft Word 2007 doesn't support it at all, and you must delve into Microsoft Word 2010's advanced configuration to enable ligatures, and even though LibreOffice's Writer supports in in Linux and Mac, the Windows version doesn't). Photoshop CS6 should be compatible, but I haven't yet figured out how. For now, if you want to write docs I'd recommend using Linux or Mac.
Ugh… Right after whatever happened yesterday to break X11 on my virtual machine. Figures.

It's sad that Microsoft's software isn't supporting their own standard. :rolleyes:

For now, the blog can only be seen with the font installed, but I want to at least make it look like this for chrome users. Those who want to help me on that will have to wait before installing the font, and we'll continue the conversation through PM so as not to clutter this thread.
It seems to me all you're missing is a pretty simple @font-face directive in your stylesheet. I'll develop one and post it in here later so anybody can use it. :)

Vylion

Inkling
It seems to me all you're missing is a pretty simple @font-face directive in your stylesheet. I'll develop one and post it in here later so anybody can use it. :)
That would be pretty rad! I did play with different @font-face configurations, but none worked and it was late so I kinda just removed it.

Tumblr allows for theme asset hosting, and although I'm far from my computer, I'll see if I can get the static link.

Edit: here you have it! For all your ArowanaSans font hosting needs:

http://static.tumblr.com/wiwrqlp/AKDo7ndya/arowanasans.otf

gúuyo oéi!

Last edited:

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
@Vylion
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: "ArowanaSans";
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    src: local("ArowanaSans"), url("http://static.tumblr.com/wiwrqlp/AKDo7ndya/arowanasans.otf");
}
I haven't tested this as much as I would like to… I think it will work on tumblr, but it won't work anywhere else as it is, because of rules of cross-origin resource sharing.

For example, when I was testing on my own system, Chrome refused to load the font from that URL:
Font from origin 'http://static.tumblr.com' has been blocked from loading by Cross-Origin Resource Sharing policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'http://localhost' is therefore not allowed access.
Basically, it's complaining that tumblr's server didn't say that it was okay to use the file on a different website.

It's not too big of an issue; anyone who wants to use it elsewhere just has to put a copy of the font on their website, and change the URL in the directive to point to their copy. žo beota anosho sižesi. :rolleyes:

Vylion

Inkling
tsuko i. I tried adding it and then testing it in a computer without the font installed, but no luck. And what did I find?

Font from origin 'http://static.tumblr.com' has been blocked from loading by Cross-Origin Resource Sharing policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'http://gehif-arit.tumblr.com' is therefore not allowed access.
Honestly I don't have time to deal with this, not before finals. Putting a link to my Google Drive works enough for me.

-------

Oh! Before I forget, I forgot to mention this about the font:
  • It accepts either 'zh' and 'z with caron'.
  • It accepts either 'sh' and 's with caron'.
  • It accepts either 'ch' and 'c', but not 'c with caron', because I didn't see that FontForge recognized it. Maybe it was because the starting font I used had characters for 'z with caron' and 's with caron' but no 'c with caron'; I don't know, I didn't delve into it much.
I'm adding this on the first post about the font too.

Last edited by a moderator:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
My birthday's in November, for everyone's reference.

Here's pretty much how this Inkling Language Guide went down: Originally there was only the pronunciation guide and enough nouns, verbs, descriptors and stuff to fill out twelve pages. The goal of fifteen. Sixty pages later, the PDF looks so jumbled because I added words as people suggested them instead of organizing them by content (food, colors, ideas, animals, body parts, household items, Turf War tools, etc). I didn't bother sub-dividing the Guide like that because I never thought it would be so large. I was also working on the video scripts at the time, so I doubt organizing the PDF better even crossed my mind. Most of your concerns can explained by this lack of organization.

This puts me in an interesting dilemma. Do I leave the PDF as it is, letting people find what they need by Ctrl+Fing around, or do go through the effort of uprooting everything to organize every word into an easier and more logical sense of order? That's a remarkable amount of time for such little reward. All the content's already there. Yet it's so random and haphazard that it's an eyesore to sift through.

What do you guys think? Do you think the PDF is fine like it is? Or should I overhaul it for clarity, ease of use and professionalism? I can't decide!

@Vylion Your vocab rocks! I will totally add it after I decide what to do with the Guide in general.

I tried downloading and installing the Arowana Sans. I can't get it working.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
My vote is on restructuring the PDF. I don't think it would be that terribly difficult to update after the initial restructuring. Like I said before I'm willing to help sort everything out if it's too much work to do alone

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
My vote is on restructuring the PDF. I don't think it would be that terribly difficult to update after the initial restructuring. Like I said before I'm willing to help sort everything out if it's too much work to do alone
No, not difficult. Just immensely time-consuming. Everything from page eleven to forty-three (plus some other spots) would have to be shifted around and retyped. That's easily several weeks of word-by-word editing done by hand.

Vylion

Inkling
This puts me in an interesting dilemma. Do I leave the PDF as it is, letting people find what they need by Ctrl+Fing around, or do go through the effort of uprooting everything to organize every word into an easier and more logical sense of order? That's a remarkable amount of time for such little reward. All the content's already there. Yet it's so random and haphazard that it's an eyesore to sift through.

What do you guys think? Do you think the PDF is fine like it is? Or should I overhaul it for clarity, ease of use and professionalism? I can't decide!
I don't think the PDF is fine like it is, although it's not catastrophic. Yet. If it's going to keep growing, maybe we'll reach a point it'll be unbearable and then regret will happen.

I think the best course of action would be to set up a shared document, and choose a handful of volunteers to rewrite the pdf. Where, though? Google Drive, for example, doesn't allow custom fonts, be it either Sunken or Arowana Sans.

I tried downloading and installing the Arowana Sans. I can't get it working.
Where did you try to get it working? Windows? Which version? What program? To know what I should test for.

On a side note, I've managed to get it working in Windows on my side (Windows 10), but I only tested in Photoshop CS6 and LibreOffice Writer. I can't tell what I did different this time, though; I did the magic ritual of uninstalling and reinstalling, but I don't remember any other relevant change that would have actually made it work. I think it may be the one version where I tried exporting into otf with some more ticked options. I've zipped it up anyway just in case, and updated the zip linked in the previous post.

Last edited:

Vylion

Inkling
I suggest either {gedó hudó} (lit. "more less") or {géhu géhu} (repeating the first syllables for "more" and "less", since many languages use repetition in this expression) for "more or less". What do enápa think it's better?

-------

And I suggest the phrase {boi gáichiro} for "translation", from {boi} "language" and {gáichi} "to change" + {ro} which changes it into a noun.
And so, "to translate" would be {boi gáichi}.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom