• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Okay! Finally got a couple hours free tonight to work on the Guide!

@piboy430 I added all your suggested vocabulary plus a bunch of my own. Still going back to basic words like "study" and "follow" at this point. I added more prepositions and clarified some conjunctions as I said I would.

To you and @Joseph Staleknight , I'm not seeing that faulty fonted text in my PDF. Not sure why that's showing up for you two.

Jus to let you know,
Page 10: The word {anéna} should be written with the characters 'ane' and 'na', rather than 'a' 'ne' 'na'.
That's not an error. That's how she writes her name. I don't want to change it now as that's how it's written in the videos.

As for everything else, I have made all those corrections. Thanks a ton for finding those. Besides a few small typos, most of these mistakes are inconsistencies with the hundreds of words that we've made. I find a few here and there but usually in formatting and spelling, not in typing out the wrong characters entirely. I don't know how I'd ever be able to keep track of all these without your help. Again, thanks! Next up on the list is combining the verb tense sections into one and creating two more sections based on Demonstratives and something else. What else could we use in our conlang?

As for the video content, everything is coming along slowly but surely. There are demos of the first three videos. I'll let you know when I get my hands on them. Things are a bit busy for my editor right now (not related to Squidmas, surprisingly). Our target time for release is still January.

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
How many redundancies do we have in this script, anyhow?
Infinity. We have infinity errors.

Just looked over the additions to the Guide. Uploading it here.

Another Inkling culture point:

You know in Splatoon how there are those name tags all over the place with incoherent scribbles all over them? Doesn't look like Inkling exactly. What if it's like a signature? What if people write their names out by stringing all the letters along into one fancy shape? To illustrate this, I wrote out my name in Inkling in the way that I imagine Inklings would. I attached that, too. You guys think this should become a part of our conlang?

Attachments

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I was referring to in the script, how many ways are there to render things like {ane}.
You can write {a} and {ne} and you can write {ane}. You can write {i} and {se} and you can write {ise}. You can write {u} and {no} and you can write {uno}. These can generate different words, e.g. {kisé} ({ki} and {se}) being the Inkling for the man's name "Christian" and {kíse} ({ki} and {ise}) being "to come". Sometimes you can tell the difference by the placement of stress. In words that assimilate vowel sounds like that, the stress goes on the assimilated vowels. I believe that some of this is covered in the guide.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Merry ChristSquidmas (grumble grumble) to you too.

Also, may I please mention the PDF still has a huge number of display errors? Some "characters" of the script are displayed as Latin characters with no organized pattern.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Merry ChristSquidmas (grumble grumble) to you too.

Also, may I please mention the PDF still has a huge number of display errors? Some "characters" of the script are displayed as Latin characters with no organized pattern.
For real? The one on my computer is fine. Is it the PDF on from the above post or the one on the website?

EDIT: I am working on a new section of the Guide for "signatures" or the system of writing names in Inkling that blends letter together into a cool image as I showed above. I have one space free. If anyone wants their name written out in Inkling and drawn into an image like that, tell me. Your name will be immortalized in our conlang for all eternity!

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
EDIT: I am working on a new section of the Guide for "signatures" or the system of writing names in Inkling that blends letter together into a cool image as I showed above. I have one space free. If anyone wants their name written out in Inkling and drawn into an image like that, tell me. Your name will be immortalized in our conlang for all eternity!
Sounds like fun! I'm in!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still following this thread to see the latest developments in our wonderful project. I'll see if I can contribute anything more in the future, but otherwise keep up the good work, guys!

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
For real? The one on my computer is fine. Is it the PDF on from the above post or the one on the website?
It's the one from the above post.
I have experienced this problem before on my end with the first ever edition of the OctoGuide, and apparently, when exporting, there is an option (Bitmap text when fonts may not be embedded), that, once I enabled it, the problem never arised. By default, when using web settings, this option is not enabled.
An alternative solution would be to upload the font used with the Guide itself.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Does anyone also get the impression that Octavio is also a Roman emperor reference?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Does anyone also get the impression that Octavio is also a Roman emperor reference?
For the English at least, that's how I interpreted it.

Geez, sorry everyone. I've been super duper busy with family as of late. Tonight is dedicated to the guide and drawings out those signatures. Can't say when all this will be done.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Also, how do sigs work over here (with the script)?
I just finished editing that section in the guide. I described it above but here's a better explanation:

You ever see those name tags stuck to the floor and walls in Inkopolis and Octo Valley? Those "Hello, my name is..." tags you put on your shirt but instead all over Splatoon's bare surfaces have lines and dashes scribbled on them that look unique from Inkling or Octoling. I had a sit-down and thought if those could be used in our conlang at all.

What if Inklings had their own cool and edgy way of writing their names out for signatures? Sorta like cursive in English. It would be typical Inkling letters but strung out and connected together into one or two "blocks" that, when read from left to right, would ascend and descend and generally be unrecognizable to those who don't already know what your name is. It's a way for Inklings to express their hip and fresh selves. I put an explanation and a few samples in the guide.

I added several new interjections. I created brief but useful sections for demonstratives and punctuation. I also decided to create a unique section dedicated to writing out complete sample sentences to help show a conlang in action. In addition to writing out the Inkling characters, the notation and the English meaning, I think I'll record myself speaking everything out loud and upload it to YouTube as reference.

Speaking of the YouTube lessons...uh...hang in there. They're happening.

Anyway, feel free to suggest complete, whole sentences for the samples section. The attached PDF shouldn't have any more of those weird font errors. I went into the PDF export options and enabled bitmapping the fonts or whatever. Let me know if you still see anything dubious.

Attachments

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Judging from the signatures section, I'm pretty sure they follow the former (LMF).

Also, @PiyozR, would you like me to vectorize those signatures?

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Also, are names last-middle-first or first-middle-last?
Last-middle-first although I've never considered middle names in this conlang. I included a blurb about that.

Also, PiyozR, would you like me to vectorize those signatures?
That would be great!

By the way, I went through about five different designs for your signature. I don't consider myself much of a graphic designer, but drawing those by hand was pretty fun.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
That would be great!

By the way, I went through about five different designs for your signature. I don't consider myself much of a graphic designer, but drawing those by hand was pretty fun.
Awesome. I've attached the complete vectorizations to this post, including variants of my and Reggie's sigs.

Also, I completely dig that my sig is essentially a pencil. Nice work on that one!

Attachments

piboy430

Inkling
Ziní šudí beóta, maezói! Happy New Year, everyone!

Now, to kick off 2016, let's add a few more words:

Nouns

{šerá} - Flower
{šeražéka} - Firework(s) (lit. 'flower fire', the same derivation as the Japanese word)
{roikáro} - Permission (derived)
{anéro} - Occurrence, Happening (derived) Note: this is the first word in Standard Inkling to start with 'ane'!
{žoanéro} - Future (derived)
{dayukétu} - Clock (combination of 'time', 'to keep track of', and the 'tu' suffix)
{šanáyuketu} - Watch (combination of 'arm' and 'clock')
{mogíro} - Mobile Phone, Cellphone (derived)

Verbs

{báiya} - Might, May (as in 'I may do that', 'you may think', 'he might be available', etc.) Note: this is the first word in Standard Inkling to start with 'bai'!
{roíka} - To Have Permission, To Be Permitted, May (as in 'May I leave?', 'you may', etc.) Note: this is the first word in Standard Inkling to start with 'ro'!
{anéra} - To Occur, To Happen
{áyuke} - To Keep Track Of, To Keep An Eye On
{žomogikói} - To Be Cumbersome, To Be Obtrusive, To Get In The Way (derived)
{šerakói} - To Flower, To Bloom, To Blossom

Adjectives

{mogí} - Portable
{žomogí} - Cumbersome, Obtrusive
{šerašái} - Floral (derived)

Misc.

{tabé} - Perhaps
{déso} - Though (as an interjection: 'It turned out OK, though')
{héideso} - Even Though
{tóma} - Both (used as: 'they are both fruit' or 'there's both this and that')

EDIT: Oh, and point out a few PDF errors, of course:

Page 21: The word 'desire' should be written as 'fu' 'uno' 'ro'.
Page 31: The word 'to desire' should be written as 'fu' 'uno' 'koi' (how does this word work, anyway? 'funo' is a verb to begin with...)
Page 48: The link to my post at the top of the Geometry section goes to the wrong post! Here's the link that should be there: http://squidboards.com/threads/the-fan-language-of-splatoon.2914/page-14#post-135164

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom