• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
For some reason I forget how to delete a post. This is what happens when my Internet screws up to the extreme.

EDIT: Apparently I cannot.

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Looking at the dictionary, I noticed that the months (January, February, etc.) are written as |u daoyu|, |iyo daoyu|, and so on. However, I also found that there were two words for "month": |daoyu| and |saweeyo|. Furthermore, |daoyu| was already being used to denote the division of hours and minutes in time expressions as in |u daoyu cha ziega| (1:30 AM). This can present a problem when people might mistake this for "January, 30". Should we use |weeyo| as a counter for months instead?

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I watched the tutorial of Splatoon and tried to translate the text.

Choose an Inkling! = |Chike muuyo-zoi tooya!|
girl / boy = |ayomai| / |eyumai|

Now pick a skin tone! = |Ziuyo chike [skin] [color] tooya!|

And an eye color! = |Wa [eye] [color] tooya!|

Is this cool? = |Teena si beota oide?|
Happy with this look? |Pa si biwai [look] oide?|
You can totally change this stuff later if you want! = |Pa pu-[change] teena [later] zoi pa fuuno!|
Hold on... = |[Wait] tooya...|
Yeah! = |Iyasu!|

Hey, you. Yeah, you! Wanna be the freshest squid on the block? = |[Hey], pa. Iyasu, pa! Pa pu-si oei-[superlative] diu naki?|
You've got a long way to go. Before you battle, let's go over the basics! = |Pa [must] [learn] henu. Pooye pa [battle], noi saane-huro [basic]!| (Is |henu| "very" used for "a lot" as well?)

Shoot ink with ZR! Shoot the balloons! = |Pa popa muuyo [using, tooyu?] ZR tooya! Pa papa [balloons]!|
Move Control Pad to aim! = |Pa [move] Control Pad no [aim] tooya!|

Move with L stick! = |Pa paigi (run) [using] L stick tooya!|

Look left and right with R stick! = |Pa bihe [around] /
(left) wa (right) [using] R stick tooya!|

Reset the camera at any time with Y! = |Pa [reset] [camera] [any] daoyu [using] Y tooya!|

Press ZL to turn into a squid! = |Pa tooyu ZL no [transform into] diu tooya!|
As a squid, you can swim through ink! = |Diu pu-[swim] ri muuyo!| (Squids can swim through ink!)

So I compiled the words that were missing or I wanted:

adjectives
later
earlier
basic (n: basics)
any (n: any one)
fast, quick (n: fast person or speed)
sassy (I need a way to describe Marie!)

adverb
more
once more, one more time
up, left, down, right
around

auxiliary verbs
would
should
must

nouns
color
skin
skin tone
eye
eye color
looks, appearance
beginner, novice, newbie
balloon
camera
grate, grid
fence
sea
bomb
wall
practice
warm-up

prepositions
while
using

suffixes
comparative (e.g. fresher, sassier)
superlative (e.g. freshest, sassiest)

verbs
change
wait
look, appear, seem
fight, battle
move
push, press
turn, rotate, tilt
walk
swim
reset
transform into, morph into, turn into
fill
refill
jump, leap
get stuck in
throw
recall, remember
keep in mind, remember
forget
climb
practise
warm up

Next I should try to translate an entry-level Spanish text book or something to point out missing words.[/RIGHT]

Last edited:

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Well it's not like I had any other plans for tonight.

@theFIZZYnator I planned those homophones from the start or as I went along. The only one that could use a change is {zoi} as a conjunction. I'll take @EclipseMT 's suggestion in its stead. Awesome work on the thinner font, btw! It looks sweet! Let us know when it's all done!

Tonight I'm going to add all your suggested words into our dictionary. I'm counting fifty-three new words. Now that I have a functioning Inkling font (the thicker one with imperfect spacing but matches the vector art) this should all take a fraction of the time. Still, it may be a couple days before I have all this updated. On the bright side, with so many more words available to us, making unique sentences for our videos will be easier.

The Lord of the Rainmaker.
Instead of Lord of the Rings, I started thinking of Lord of the Flies. A bunch of Inklings are trapped on a deserted island. They put Jellyfish heads on poles. They have Turf Wars and turn the island into Gelato Beach.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
I am gonna eventually start a dedicated thread for this LotRainmaker discussion, but a fan theory of Splatoon stated that the Rainmaker was responsible for the extinction of humankind.

Perhaps I can write the prologue along these lines.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
Hot out of the oven! New Inkling vocab!

I cross-referenced the new notation with the PDF, so we shouldn't have any homophones with this batch. 1) For "eye color" and "skin color", just add "color" before "eye" or "skin". Put it together yourselves, you lazy brats. 2) {zoiba} and {zoi} are both acceptable conjunctions for "if". I didn't want to change that completely or else I'd have to re-write that portion of my comic, scan it, edit it into the image, and re-upload that on every website. Because I'm a lazy brat. 3) Tomorrow I'll get on the comparative and superlative grammar.

Take a look at the new words. When basically everyone's agreed on everything, I'll add it to the PDF and hopefully get back to actually writing my lessons.

Attachments

theFIZZYnator

Inkling

I cross-referenced the new notation with the PDF, so we shouldn't have any homophones with this batch. 1) For "eye color" and "skin color", just add "color" before "eye" or "skin". Put it together yourselves, you lazy brats. 2) {zoiba} and {zoi} are both acceptable conjunctions for "if". I didn't want to change that completely or else I'd have to re-write that portion of my comic, scan it, edit it into the image, and re-upload that on every website. Because I'm a lazy brat. 3) Tomorrow I'll get on the comparative and superlative grammar.

Take a look at the new words. When basically everyone's agreed on everything, I'll add it to the PDF and hopefully get back to actually writing my lessons.
That's a swift reaction time! I suggest that we set a rule that {zoiba} be used only in the phrase {zoiba zoi} "if he/she/it", or if the next word starts with {zoi}, like {zoiba zoito} "if a/the punch".

theFIZZYnator

Inkling

I've added the words to the unofficial dictionary. A few words are still left blank, though. I'll get to looking up the vocabulary list of Realidades (our school's Spanish textbook) to see if there are any more oversights.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
sassy (I need a way to describe Marie!)
{si'šu si he'nu 'saita} Marie is very sassy!

My idea for the comparative:

We just made a word for "more". Why not add {gedo} before any descriptor to indicate comparative status. {ge'do zu'ki} = "earlier" {ge'do zi'ni} = "newer" {ge'do i'bai} = "more afraid"

My idea for the superlative:

I pumped out the word {zena} to indicate "most". Like {gedo}, attach {zena} before a descriptor to indicate superlative status. Examples: {ze'na či'wu} = "tallest" {ze'na ŧu'nu} = "saddest" {ze'na o'ei} = "freshest"

Gonna add all these words to the list. Like this post if you want this grammar added, too.

EDIT: Note to self: add preposition for "through".

Last edited:

ZuloeSixx

Inkling
Been watching this thread for a while now. Thought I'd contribute with some vocab suggestions.

We need words for:
Guide
Favorite (Suggested: poboi)
Serve (As in to be of service to someone/thing) (Suggested: eiya)
Servant (Suggested: eiya-zoi)
Wound (Verb)
Wound (Noun)
Game/Competition
Hunger (Suggested: bifu)
Eat (Suggested: jiede bifu)
Game (As in large game or small game; hunting terms)
Holiday/Celebration (Suggested: beota daoyu)
Skin (Noun) (Suggested: oime)
Skin (Verb, synonymous with flay) (Suggested: jiede oime)
Leviathan (Suggested: eyuoeya. Inkling's first homophone?)
Whip (Noun) (Suggested: zazi)
Whip (Verb)
Sandstorm (Suggested: darude)
Remove/Subtract (Suggested: jiede)
Zapfish (Suggested: raikuzoi)
Fish (Suggested: zoi) (Another homophone. Could also mean "person" or "creature")
Zap/Electricity/Lightning (raiku)

Suggested Weapon Names, for consistency:
Killer Wail (ŧuko-wa eyuoeya)

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Been watching this thread for a while now. Thought I'd contribute with some vocab suggestions.

We need words for:
Guide
Favorite (Suggested: poboi)
Serve (As in to be of service to someone/thing) (Suggested: eiya)
Servant (Suggested: eiya-zoi)
Wound (Verb)
Wound (Noun)
Game/Competition
Hunger (Suggested: bifu)
Eat (Suggested: jiede bifu)
Game (As in large game or small game; hunting terms)
Holiday/Celebration (Suggested: beota daoyu)
Skin (Noun) (Suggested: oime)
Skin (Verb, synonymous with flay) (Suggested: jiede oime)
Leviathan (Suggested: eyuoeya. Inkling's first homophone?)
Whip (Noun) (Suggested: zazi)
Whip (Verb)
Remove/Subtract (Suggested: jiede)
Zapfish (Suggested: raikuzoi)
Fish (Suggested: zoi) (Another homophone. Could also mean "person" or "creature")
Zap/Electricity/Lightning (raiku)

Suggested Weapon Names, for consistency:
Killer Wail (ŧuko-wa eyuoeya)
I'm against this.

ZuloeSixx

Inkling
I just noticed this and I was like what the **** is wrong with you
I was actually hoping I'd be called out on that one. Was just testing to see if every suggestion was taken into consideration. I should probably specify that each of my suggestions are just a suggestion and nothing more.

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I see nothing wrong here.

Was just testing to see if every suggestion was taken into consideration.
Oh ho ho! Sir, you severely under-estimate the amount of free time on my hands.

I'm thinking that a simple rule like "accent on the penultimate syllable/letter, excluding suffixes" should be good and make the language flow better.
I've been thinking about this recently. Let's use your suggested rule and build on it. How about this:
  • Two syllable words place the accent on the second syllable.
  • Words longer than two syllables place the accent on the second to last syllable.
  • Exceptions are {'daoyu} and {'oide}. To me, {da'oyu} and {o'ide} sound kind of rough.
Gonna add all this grammar and phonetics to the PDF tonight or tomorrow.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
Stress could be a regional dialect thing more or less; as of right now there are few, if no, homophones in the language.

The same thing with allophones as there is no real rules for them (like whether or not certain sounds mutate into others to indicate tense, etc.).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom