• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

THE HARD DATA: Guns, Subs, Specials, and Abilities - Range, DPS, and more

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
thanks, but to be fair, there is more to know. For example, I wish I had hard statistical numbers on how the drops of the flick get exactly distributed over the flick area with which chances, and I don't have the tools to measure that. All I can say is that it's more likely to land in the middle (sweet spot) of a "range box" and the rest gets randomly distributed in the periphery of the center. It would be great if Nintendojo or somebody else did a more detailed breakdown, if at all possible!

This guy's super busy, (not sure if he has a squidboards) but it might be worth asking him. He finds coding variables like this and messes around with them. In this vid, he essentially raises the angle of the spread of the shots. There might be hard data about the flick spread.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
thanks, but to be fair, there is more to know. For example, I wish I had hard statistical numbers on how the drops of the flick get exactly distributed over the flick area with which chances, and I don't have the tools to measure that. All I can say is that it's more likely to land in the middle (sweet spot) of a "range box" and the rest gets randomly distributed in the periphery of the center. It would be great if Nintendojo or somebody else did a more detailed breakdown, if at all possible!
http://vm.whatasha.me/splatoon/files/

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Alright, got my last Ink Recovery Up as well as Haunt.

Added 3xMain to my previous post, it's basically what Nintendojo had.

Haunt lasted 11.94s, it kicks in slightly after you die, and just like all similar abilities, the marker has a little animation that plays before and after the tracking lines are shown on screen.

Oh, and I can confirm that Comeback does NOT boost Super Jump speed. It was within 0.5% of the unboosted time.

Last edited:

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
RollerBrushMini = Inkbrush
RollerBrushNormal = Octobrush
RollerCompact = Carbon Roller
RollerHeavy = Dynamo Roller
RollerNormal = Splat Roller

Your guess is as good as mine for the others, but BigBallStrong makes me laugh.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
oh yeah, finding the weapon's not the problem. I just have no idea what each stat does (or even the unit of each stat except the damage stats).

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Well, at least for the rollers since they're so comparable, you can tell that the upcoming Octobrush is going to be slower than the Inkbrush, but do more damage and has a wider ink trail.

And then check out the /spec/ folder to see that default Run Speed is 0.96, same speed as the Dynamo, and the max is 1.44, exactly as fast as the Carbon Roller. I really have no idea what the "mid" value is supposed to be, other than exactly halfway between the stat cap and default. Was hoping it'd help for gear abilities and diminishing returns, but that looks like it's calculated elsewhere.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Well, at least for the rollers since they're so comparable, you can tell that the upcoming Octobrush is going to be slower than the Inkbrush, but do more damage and has a wider ink trail.
You don't really even need to look at the stats to infer that

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
You don't really even need to look at the stats to infer that
What, based only on the assumption that Nintendo wouldn't be silly enough to release an even faster and weaker brush? Last I checked there was no official information on the Octobrush.

In any case, I felt like putting all the datamined weapon values into a single spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ezdePv6wCyIXewhVMt_KqjTQV64Fz5BeWbR7R9BtUHY/

Although I left out the XAdjust# and Explosion_Explosion stuff, as well as BigBall/Trap/Wsc since I don't know what those even are. Specials?

At the very least, we can get the exact ink consumption per shot (mInkConsume), move speed while firing (mMoveSpeed), accuracy (DegRandom), and accuracy while jumping (DegJumpRandom). No idea where the range is for Shooters or Rollers, but there is for Chargers (mMaxDistance), as well as charge time (mMaxChargeFrame). Makes sense if Rollers don't have such a thing, since it could simply be how far the launch speed takes it, but Shooters need something to light up the reticle. mStraightFrame seems related, but some things just don't add up.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
What, based only on the assumption that Nintendo wouldn't be silly enough to release an even faster and weaker brush? Last I checked there was no official information on the Octobrush.
nah, based on the icon picture of the octobrush that got leaked long ago and that clearly shows the thing to be a larger and wider brush, which by video game logic should naturally mean that it's slower, more damaging and higher ranged

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian

In any case, I felt like putting all the datamined weapon values into a single spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ezdePv6wCyIXewhVMt_KqjTQV64Fz5BeWbR7R9BtUHY/.
I don't know what witchcraft was used to get this data, but @flc thanks a million for that data. This is exactly what we need to kick our research up a notch.

And this google sheet is perfect, Unlucky. Great work putting things together, now we just need to translate what all the numbers are into meaningful data (those Charger Range #s obviously don't correlate to our current method of measuring Range - lines in the firing range). I'll start looking through it when I have a minute, out most of this weekend. Really good work here.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
nah, based on the icon picture of the octobrush that got leaked long ago and that clearly shows the thing to be a larger and wider brush, which by video game logic should naturally mean that it's slower, more damaging and higher ranged
vs

I dunno, that doesn't really say "12.5% slower, 50% wider, and 32% stronger" to me.

Especially considering Carbon vs Splat Roller vs Dynamo:
vs
vs

I'd like to see how people unfamiliar with the game would rank them fastest to slowest, and strongest to weakest.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
vs

I dunno, that doesn't really say "12.5% slower, 50% wider, and 32% stronger" to me.

Especially considering Carbon vs Splat Roller vs Dynamo:
vs
vs

I'd like to see how people unfamiliar with the game would rank them fastest to slowest, and strongest to weakest.
I do think the design is telling for itself. It goes without saying though that quantitative validation is much more important than an educated guess, so of course having concrete data confirming the weapon's characteristics is better than whatever I'm pulling right now. Don't worry, I'm not dilusional, I'm just being cheeky :P

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
And understandably upset that there's no mSprayPattern variable in the data.
Not really upset, I am sure the spray pattern is emergent out of some combination of those X/Y/Z variables + rand variables, and would be easy to get behind if I actually knew what these numbers express in the first place in terms of units. It's probably done with the same formula that calculates shot dispersity for other shooting weapons, with the straight middle being the "common" tip of the Gauss bell curve and the periphery being the "rarer" far end etc, and also with Z axis and X axis dispersity. I guess the question boils down to what the formulas are in the first place and how to interprete them. Alternatively we somehow change around all of the variables and experiment and see what happens, but there's no homebrew to take advantage of so that's a very limited selection of people capable of doing that. The next best thing we can get is video observation about the distribution pattern.

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Not really upset, I am sure the spray pattern is emergent out of some combination of those X/Y/Z variables + rand variables, and would be easy to get behind if I actually knew what these numbers express in the first place in terms of units.
Yeah, good thoughts. Although. If we can't change values, how in hell was this created:

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I guess I should point out that I've been working with that data for a few days now, only thing I don't really understand is how roller spread is generated

http://1drv.ms/1CqZiSY

edit: before anyone says my range data is wrong, projectiles are generated at the tip of the weapon and so measuring range by where you stand will result in erroneous data

also some of the data there (eg accuracy) are best-estimate equations and not conclusive (which is why I've been sitting on this, it's not complete yet)

Last edited:

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
The critical state of you guys revisiting and reviewing all the data and charts and re-evaluating your testing is really inspiring. Working so hard in the name of squid science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom