• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Meta's most underrated weapons.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Personally, I don't see a lot of the Dynamo Rollers or Chargers in general, but I mainly play Turf Wars, not Splat Zones. (I think Turf Wars is more reliable, cash-gaining wise.) The ones I DO see are either really good at using them, or really bad at using them. Sprinklers in general are underrated, too.
I see a LOTLOT of Dynamos, personally. Chargers in general definitely deserve more love though. They can control an entire match sometimes.. *cough*moraytowers*cough*

You might just be seeing more .96 Gal Decos right now because it just came out, that'll fall off a bit in time. Splash-O-Matics are here to stay though, it's a good weapon.
I wouldn't expect to see the 96 Deco go away anytime soon. It is probably in the top 3 best weapons.

Last edited:

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
"I don't see how this could be underrated, it's a pretty good weapon (I would know, I've been on the receiving end of it plenty of times), but nothing about it is "the best" or close to it. It doesn't have as much power as the Gals (though it's fairly powerful), or the range of the Squelchers (Jet, anyway, not sure about Dual; either way, its range is pretty good too, just not up to those weapons' standard), and though its fire rate is pretty good, it eats theough your ink really quickly, so it pretty much requires an investment in Ink Saver Main. It's really the 7/10 of shooters: in every category, there's something better, but it's pretty good at everything except ink efficiency, so if you can get an Ink Saver Main it's a great pick. Having said that, there are more specialized weapons, so if you want a lot of one thing or another you can grab a weapon that specializes in that (or just use a .96 Gal; it fires slowly so ambushing with it is almost always a bad call, but it's stronger and has better range). So I could see it being outclassed by a bunch of weapons in one or two areas, but it shouldn't be underrated since it's good for everything.
Having said all of that, I think you're right about the Forge Pro. Point Sensors are good for scouting and cost less ink than the regular Pro's Splat Bombs, and the Inkzooka is a good special for killing at long range (like against most Chargers). The regular Pro is alright too, since Splat Bombs are a good sub (if costly, which is bad with the Pro's high ink consumption) and Inkstrikes are a good area-attack-and-covering tool, but I feel the Forge is better, since I prefer its loadout
I just checked the range now just to double check. The .96 gal and the Splattershot Pro do have the same range.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I just checked the range now just to double check. The .96 gal and the Splattershot Pro do have the same range.
Really? They felt different when I was using them. Maybe it's just me though.

I wouldn't expect to see the 96 Deco go away anytime soon. It is probably in the top 3 best weapons.
True, it's a good weapon (Splash Wall helps so much, and Kraken is a nice cherry on top), but I can't see it being top 3 when so many weapons outrange it (Squelchers, any Charger, maybe Dynamo Rollers (I feel like it could, but I can't say for sure)) and the Splattershot Pros exist (exchanging a bit of power for a much faster fire rate can't be too bad a trade-off).

Also, I feel like Disruptors are underrated, if only because I almost never see them used online. True, they don't deal damage on their own, but a slowed-down opponent is much easier to pick off, especially for ambushes, and even if you don't splat them they're still effectively neutralized briefly (since their run speed, swim speed, ink recovery and I think jump height are all cut significantly while Disrupted). You can effectively freeze a whole team if they're bunched up, or just slow a single problem player for your teammates to more easily splatter. Maybe their non-ambush uses are too team-play-ish, but they're still really good, and I wish I saw more Disruptor use online.
:disruptor:

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Really? They felt different when I was using them. Maybe it's just me though.

True, it's a good weapon (Splash Wall helps so much, and Kraken is a nice cherry on top), but I can't see it being top 3 when so many weapons outrange it (Squelchers, any Charger, maybe Dynamo Rollers (I feel like it could, but I can't say for sure)) and the Splattershot Pros exist (exchanging a bit of power for a much faster fire rate can't be too bad a trade-off).

Also, I feel like Disruptors are underrated, if only because I almost never see them used online. True, they don't deal damage on their own, but a slowed-down opponent is much easier to pick off, especially for ambushes, and even if you don't splat them they're still effectively neutralized briefly (since their run speed, swim speed, ink recovery and I think jump height are all cut significantly while Disrupted). You can effectively freeze a whole team if they're bunched up, or just slow a single problem player for your teammates to more easily splatter. Maybe their non-ambush uses are too team-play-ish, but they're still really good, and I wish I saw more Disruptor use online.
:disruptor:
My top 3 would be the tentatek, 96 Deco, and forge pro

Yeah, the disruptor is nice. Works well with the nozzlenose.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
If I'm not mistaken the .96 gal has a larger spread than the pro. That's the difference.
You may be correct. I checked the Dual Squelcher and it does turn out to have the same range as both the Splattershot Pro and the .96

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Do people consider the splattershot to be a viable weapon? One damage up turns the burst bomb + single shot into a KO which seems significant to me but I never hear discussion about it.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Do people consider the splattershot to be a viable weapon? One damage up turns the burst bomb + single shot into a KO which seems significant to me but I never hear discussion about it.
Yes, but the tentatek is better in pretty much every way. Suction bombs are amazing, and inkzooka is without a doubt the best special.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Rapid Blaster.
Yesterday I played against a Rapid Blaster user who stacked Damage Up perks up to the maximum which gave him up to 96.0 damage. Then he pretty much one-shot anyone who dared to come into his sight - it was hilarious.

Splash-o-matic
This weapon should actually be considered very high-top tier. Suction bomb rush is destruction in Splat Zones and very strong in the other modes and it's quickly built up with this weapon.
I personally consider the splash (the kit, at least, the weapon's bad) top 10 for whatever that's worth

as for the rapid blaster, no
96.0 damage only catches people out who are already damaged from enemy ink or whatever, and does nothing to alleviate the fact that the rapid blaster's minimum effective range is way too high for it to ever be effective

blasters can oneshot people and they're still low tier because of how easy it is to just walk in circles around them and never get hit

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I personally consider the splash (the kit, at least, the weapon's bad) top 10 for whatever that's worth

as for the rapid blaster, no
96.0 damage only catches people out who are already damaged from enemy ink or whatever, and does nothing to alleviate the fact that the rapid blaster's minimum effective range is way too high for it to ever be effective

blasters can oneshot people and they're still low tier because of how easy it is to just walk in circles around them and never get hit
Yeah, the rapid blaster is bad, no argument.

Blasters in general id say are pretty bad

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah, the rapid blaster is bad, no argument.
This is true. How would Rapid Blaster have to change before it became a decent pick? Does it need more speed, more range (think one of the upcoming weapons is basically this), more power (perhaps not quite one-shot territory, that seems a bit too good, but close, maybe), all of the above, something else entirely?

Blasters in general id say are pretty bad
Most Blasters aren't that great, yeah, but I think regular Blaster is alright, if only because it has Disruptors to get around the problem of other characters dodging your shots (not so easy to dodge when you're slowed to a crawl, in my experience).
But I'm just extrapolating from what I know from playing L3 Nozzlenose (which has the same loadout, but lacks the one-shot power) online on this one, I could be completely wrong.
Also, I keep seeing Custom Blasters online, and it's probably for the Bubbler, but they tend to do pretty well. Is that just an online thing (which it could be, a one-shot weapon plus lag seems like a good combination for winning)?

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
This is true. How would Rapid Blaster have to change before it became a decent pick? Does it need more speed, more range (think one of the upcoming weapons is basically this), more power (perhaps not quite one-shot territory, that seems a bit too good, but close, maybe), all of the above, something else entirely?
Earlier I heard of someone taking 3 damage up main abilities in order to have the rapid blaster deal 96 damage. Maybe if the damage was upped so that 2-3 damage up main abilities would do 100 damage exactly, then the rapid blasters might make a resurgance.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum

Most Blasters aren't that great, yeah, but I think regular Blaster is alright, if only because it has Disruptors to get around the problem of other characters dodging your shots (not so easy to dodge when you're slowed to a crawl, in my experience).
But I'm just extrapolating from what I know from playing L3 Nozzlenose (which has the same loadout, but lacks the one-shot power) online on this one, I could be completely wrong.
Also, I keep seeing Custom Blasters online, and it's probably for the Bubbler, but they tend to do pretty well. Is that just an online thing (which it could be, a one-shot weapon plus lag seems like a good combination for winning)?
True, the disruptors work nicely with a Blaster. The nozzlenose is actually pretty decent. It loses almost no accuracy when jumping, so doing Blaster esque jump shots works wonders with it.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Earlier I heard of someone taking 3 damage up main abilities in order to have the rapid blaster deal 96 damage. Maybe if the damage was upped so that 2-3 damage up main abilities would do 100 damage exactly, then the rapid blasters might make a resurgance.
Rapid Blaster can't exceed 99.9 damage, same as all other weapons can't exceed their standard shots-to-splat. Still, Damage Ups can make the weapon splat in 2 shots even when missing, so I'd say it's worth a try

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
Rapid Blaster can't exceed 99.9 damage, same as all other weapons can't exceed their standard shots-to-splat. Still, Damage Ups can make the weapon splat in 2 shots even when missing, so I'd say it's worth a try
I was talking theoretically; how the weapon could be buffed to make it better.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I was talking theoretically; how the weapon could be buffed to make it better.
I see no point in trying to buff it when you can just use a better Blaster.
In my opinion, and in lots of others in fact, the rapid Blaster is a very bad weapon

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
Since tower control came out, vallina splat roller has been refreshingly amazing (I use the Hero roller however).

I have seen a lot of squiffers lately and they're becoming annoying.
Burst Bombs. They're great with bomb range up.

Also Suction bombs are broken and need their blast damage radius reduced. The number of deaths I've had from them because they were under a ledge or something is ridiculous.
The reason the blast range is so big is because it takes the longest time to explode. hence why burst bombs are low radius and instant and splat bombs are in between.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Rapid Blaster is bad. At first I thought it was okay because it had better range than the others but then I learned that it took 2 direct shots to kill. Although the Rapid Blaster Deco is slightly better because of its loadout with suction bombs + bomb rush but Splatomatic just outperforms it in that regard.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Rapid Blaster is bad. At first I thought it was okay because it had better range than the others but then I learned that it took 2 direct shots to kill. Although the Rapid Blaster Deco is slightly better because of its loadout with suction bombs + bomb rush but Splatomatic just outperforms it in that regard.
and even then its kind of a pain to fill up your special when using a blaster

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom