• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Meta's most underrated weapons.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
and even then its kind of a pain to fill up your special when using a blaster
Pretty much. Blasters have to shoot shots horizontally so that you can actually ink the ground. Shoot too high and the 'pellet' won't ink the ground even from the explosion and the end of each shot. Shoot too low and the explosion will be cut off meaning you can't ink well. It's topped off by the fact that it has such a slow fire rate.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Yeah, the rapid blaster is bad, no argument.

Blasters in general id say are pretty bad
Luna blaster in tower control is a beast. Although rapid blaster sucks for everything except Battle Dojo.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
Enough of this talk of blasters. This is suppose to be a discussion about underrated weapons in meta. I've seen way to many blasters. I think that they are doing fine in both ranked modes.
Really the most underrated weapon in ranked mode is the paintbrush. Whenever I see one of those on the other team I know it's going to be an annoying battle. Paintbrushes shouldn't be underestimated like they seem to be.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Enough of this talk of blasters. This is suppose to be a discussion about underrated weapons in meta. I've seen way to many blasters. I think that they are doing fine in both ranked modes.
Really the most underrated weapon in ranked mode is the paintbrush. Whenever I see one of those on the other team I know it's going to be an annoying battle. Paintbrushes shouldn't be underestimated like they seem to be.
The Inkbrush is not underrated. It is BAD

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
I think the N-ZAP is fairly underrated. I see it in some games, but it's far from common. Having Echolocator can give your team a fantastic advantage, and Splat Bombs are pretty good. The gun itself works wonders in many different settings due to its decent range and accuracy.

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
I think the N-ZAP is fairly underrated. I see it in some games, but it's far from common. Having Echolocator can give your team a fantastic advantage, and Splat Bombs are pretty good. The gun itself works wonders in many different settings due to its decent range and accuracy.
I absolutely love the N'Zap to no end. Has good kill potential, and echolocator is severely under rated for competitive. I just don't like using it for Turf War since I feel like I don't get much ink coverage as other weapons.

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
I absolutely love the N'Zap to no end. Has good kill potential, and echolocator is severely under rated for competitive. I just don't like using it for Turf War since I feel like I don't get much ink coverage as other weapons.
Yeah, in Turf it's not the best. Better to use Splattershot Jr. at that point. Still, it has some uses in Turf, especially against the Aerosprays that plague the servers. It's range beats the Aero, so if we spot them from a distance, we have a much better fighting chance.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I agree to an extent. While I think the Splat-o-matic is better as a short ranged rapid fire weapon the N-Zap is probably the next best one. It has a concentrated spread meaning all you need is a good aim and within range so that enemies can be splatted. The problem with Jrs and Aerosprays is that the spread makes actually splatting enemies hard and to actually get guaranteed shots you have to be very close to the person you want to splat. Echolocators help a lot in the current meta because so many people are using ninja squid and it gives you a lot of info about the opposing team. N-Zap can quickly charge it up to use. Splat Bombs are also a pretty sweet.

Edit: Just looked up that the N-Zap actually has pretty decent range. It's the same as the Splattershot. So I was wrong that it is a short ranged weapon but actually a mid ranged one with rapid fire. Good weapon indeed. The power is a bit underwhelming but the rapid fire makes up for that imo.

Last edited:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
You are probably right about the Rapid Blaster. It is still one of the weakest weapons. As flc stated, it's main problem is the minimum range which makes it very vulnerable in short-mid-range battle. A Rapid Blaster is dead at the moment he misses a direct hit on an attacking enemy. It just caught me by surprise how this one guy using it stacked all that damage up and made it somewhat viable.

I agree with the N-Zap. When it came out it looked very strong to me with it's medium range, high fire rate and sub and special selection. But for some reason I stopped using it after about 20k p. This was when Airbrush still was considered good, though.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I am a little bit surprised, no one said the ink brush lmao. I guess people understand?
I think splat roller is actually better than Krak-on, the suction bomb and killer wail let it actually do something when it's behind in addition to giving it a much larger effective range.
But it's not... I can't even tell you a roller main on this planet, who I've seen say such a thing...lol. Krak-on has the superior kit and is all around better. The only thing splat has going for it, is the added range of a bomb, to kill people out of the weapons range. But yea,.. beacon is arguably, the best sub weapon in the game and Kraken is still Kraken.

mancity

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Platypus93
But it's not... I can't even tell you a roller main on this planet, who I've seen say such a thing...lol. Krak-on has the superior kit and is all around better. The only thing splat has going for it, is the added range of a bomb, to kill people out of the weapons range. But yea,.. beacon is arguably, the best sub weapon in the game and Kraken is still Kraken.
Beacons are certainly not the best sub in the game as any enemy team can find them (if they are actually able to see what is going on) and kraken can now just be stopped in its place and killed immediatly after getting out of kraken. Enemies can also simply swim away from kraken and wait until it stops and then turn around and kill you.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Beacons are certainly not the best sub in the game as any enemy team can find them (if they are actually able to see what is going on) and kraken can now just be stopped in it's place and killed immediatly after getting out of kraken. Enemies can also simply swim away from kraken and wait until it stops and then turn around and kill you.
Try placing the beacon in a safe place for your team to jump to or maybe try putting in a place outside of the battle that isn't super easy for others to destroy? If you play with someone, who knows how to actually place the beacon, you would know how amazing it really is. Beacons are a pivotal tool, and they play a key role, in wither or not your team will win the game.

Just because one person can stop the kraken, doesn't mean the other 3 can. If someone on their team can hold you back, don't challenge them, or just git gud. A bad player will set himself up to die, after his kraken runs out. A good player does not do this. And Kraken isn't just about getting kills. People get to fixated on that; stop it. It's not that one dimensional.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
Try placing the beacon in a safe place for your team to jump to or maybe try putting in a place outside of the battle that isn't super easy for others to destroy? If you play with someone, who knows how to actually place the beacon, you would know how amazing it really is. Beacons are a pivotal tool, and they play a key role, in wither or not your team will win the game.

Just because one person can stop the kraken, doesn't mean the other 3 can. If someone on their team can hold you back, don't challenge them, or just git gud. A bad player will set himself up to die, after his kraken runs out. A good player does not do this. And Kraken isn't just about getting kills. People get to fixated on that; stop it. It's not that one dimensional.
what's the point of putting a beacon in a safe place
"my team can get to mid 2 seconds faster than normal, btw here's the exact point we'll be coming from next respawn" does not make a special 'the best in the game'

especially when it's competing with "I am now invulnerable for six seconds", "I can zone your entire team out of this choke point", and "sorry, roller, you flicked paint and died"

it's not that bad in tower control but it's easily the worst sub in the game in zones

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
what's the point of putting a beacon in a safe place
"my team can get to mid 2 seconds faster than normal, btw here's the exact point we'll be coming from next respawn" does not make a special 'the best in the game'

especially when it's competing with "I am now invulnerable for six seconds", "I can zone your entire team out of this choke point", and "sorry, roller, you flicked paint and died"

it's not that bad in tower control but it's easily the worst sub in the game in zones
I think you're really demeaning the beacon. The beacon itself can make the game extremely overwhelming in most cases. Having 2-3 available gateways to come back into the action is pretty vital for taking the zone and securing a better position. In most situations It beats the conventional way of squiding back or jumping on an ally to the combat zone.
Enemy team has to worry about taking out beacons while focusing on enemy at hand, since beacon doesn't give any signal of an enemy jumping towards it. Besides, when dealing with a bunch of randoms its much easier to exploit beacon. Thus, I can say beacon is NOT the worst sub in the game. I'd argue that the seeker/ locator is.

*edited

Last edited:

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum

The beacon is far from the best special, and Kraken is the most overrated thing in the game. See a Kraken? Run away or shoot it to make it stop. It's not that hard. People really need to get off of the Kraken train.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I am a little bit surprised, no one said the ink brush lmao. I guess people understand?

Actually I am an A+99 roller main if that counts for anything, and Soldier who is also one would agree that overall Splat is better. (as well as most of imperious lounge).

Krak-on:
Squid Beacon: A very weak sub in zones, and an okay sub in TC. It makes it blatantly obvious where you will be spawning in from, and if you put it in a safe place it doesn't really get you places faster. It is useless if you are being camped, and "ok" if you are winning. (if you are winning you can just sj to a safe team mate). The only map they are good on in my opinion in zones is saltspray. (and even then they do nothing for you actually getting in the point)

Kraken: A pretty good special in zones, and a very good special in TC. The reason it is good in TC is that you can sit on the tower and get a free 7 seconds of tower movement. Kraken doesn't really kill people, instead it forces them out of an area, but honestly most of the other specials in the game do that better like echolocation or inkzooka or bomb rush. It is pretty easy to kite around a Kraken that isn't laggy, and it can actually just be stopped by guns with high rates of fire after the nerfs.

Splat:

Suction Bombs: Probably the best sub in the game. Top tier in both zones and TC. It is very good for zoning out when you are ahead, while also being very good when you are the one being camped since it forces them out of their position for a few seconds. It also gives you great control of the tower since you can stick it on there. In addition it also gives the roller something to do when it is behind, besides wasting time to build up Kraken only to not kill anything and get kited.

Killer Wail: Very underused special, a lot of people us it incorrectly. It gives the roller a ton of effective range, and forces people to get off of the tower. Often guaranteeing kills when it goes through a narrow choke and they can't move horizon. If Kraken can't kill people, then basically it is a better Kraken.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Even as much as I love the duel squelcher, I said that is pretty underrated along with the jet.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Actually I am an A+99 roller main if that counts for anything, and Soldier who is also one would agree that overall Splat is better. (as well as most of imperious lounge).
Killer Wail: Very underused special, a lot of people us it incorrectly. It gives the roller a ton of effective range, and forces people to get off of the tower. Often guaranteeing kills when it goes through a narrow choke and they can't move horizon. If Kraken can't kill people, then basically it is a better Kraken.
Fun fact: a Killer Wail causes knockback on Krakens and Bubblers, so you can literally lock them in place against a wall until they die because their invincibility ran out (which basically means it can be considered a soft-counter) :cool:

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
The problem with the Krakon Roller is that it struggles until it gets up close. It has pretty much zero range. That fling that all rollers have is its longest range it has. Kraken has no range and beacons have no offensive capabilities in direct combat. Splat Roller does with suction bombs and killer wail for effective zoning.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
The problem with the Krakon Roller is that it struggles until it gets up close. It has pretty much zero range. That fling that all rollers have is its longest range it has. Kraken has no range and beacons have no offensive capabilities in direct combat. Splat Roller does with suction bombs and killer wail for effective zoning.
Yep. The normal Splat Roller really deserves more love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom