• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Meta's most underrated weapons.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
While the Kraken definitely has its uses for the ranked modes (The invincibility alone makes it good for defending a tower and zones, and its killing power makes people think twice), I'd say the Squid Beacon is the bigger weakness of the Krak-on. With a Kraken special and by very nature as a roller, it's obviously meant for close quarters. The Squid Beacon requires it to leave the fighting to set up, and deprives it of a good explosive for support. Burst bombs or Splat bombs would really make the Krak-on shine, but I just don't see the beacon being a particularly useful option for it in ranked. (It's a bit more useful in the less combat intensive Turf War, but I'd still say it holds the Krak-on back because there are now weapons better suited to dropping beacons)

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
While the Kraken definitely has its uses for the ranked modes (The invincibility alone makes it good for defending a tower and zones, and its killing power makes people think twice), I'd say the Squid Beacon is the bigger weakness of the Krak-on. With a Kraken special and by very nature as a roller, it's obviously meant for close quarters. The Squid Beacon requires it to leave the fighting to set up, and deprives it of a good explosive for support. Burst bombs or Splat bombs would really make the Krak-on shine, but I just don't see the beacon being a particularly useful option for it in ranked. (It's a bit more useful in the less combat intensive Turf War, but I'd still say it holds the Krak-on back because there are now weapons better suited to dropping beacons)
Yeah, beacons really don't go well with it in comparison to the custom eliter, which is a weapon that works quite well with them.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
It's funny, before when the Beakon was unique to it, it was a point in its favor since it was the only way you could use it. As soon as something else that could use the beakon entered the fray, it became a liability to it.

Getting back on topic, I took the Jr. Custom for a whirl, and it can definitely turn the tides of fights, Being able to charge up an Echo quickly lets you keep constant tabs on enemies, and throwing disruptors into enemy clusters can set them up for easy follow up kills. If it ever becomes more popular, Cold Blooded probably will as well.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
It's funny, before when the Beakon was unique to it, it was a point in its favor since it was the only way you could use it. As soon as something else that could use the beakon entered the fray, it became a liability to it.

Getting back on topic, I took the Jr. Custom for a whirl, and it can definitely turn the tides of fights, Being able to charge up an Echo quickly lets you keep constant tabs on enemies, and throwing disruptors into enemy clusters can set them up for easy follow up kills. If it ever becomes more popular, Cold Blooded probably will as well.
Yeah, I can see it being a great support weapon.

Ehh, cold blooded is already very popular.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
Honestly I have not seen Cold Blooded that often, possibly due to my being more into Turf War, where people seem to not consider it worth it. (Funny, because of the less competitive nature, you have less to miss out on with it) When I have seen it, it was in ranked, so I suppose I just haven't played enough Ranked. ( I am A-, but I've spread out my ranked play, and have never suffered a rank drop.)

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
......Uh I use the Splash-omatic and Splash walls alot in ranked. I also see them a decent amount in ranked.

I actually don't see a lot of squiffers and honestly am somewhat annoyed the way some Snipers play. I like Snipers that get in teh action a bit more or at least don't camp and one spot all day everyday. i might try thr squiff
Except snipers aren't meant to "get in the action" that often, they're not effective in close range scenarios, the whole purpose of playing the sniper is being able to pick off enemies at a long distance, sure everyone hates the ones that just sit there and do nothing but you get the point. Also the squiffer is seriously terrible, whatever you're trying to do with the squiffer other guns do better. Mid range gun? Splattershot pro and .96 gal both do it better. Splat bombs? So many guns have splat bombs or variants of the splat bomb that you're better off with those. Bubbler? Again, better guns have this special that don't have the issues it has.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Except snipers aren't meant to "get in the action" that often, they're not effective in close range scenarios, the whole purpose of playing the sniper is being able to pick off enemies at a long distance, sure everyone hates the ones that just sit there and do nothing but you get the point. Also the squiffer is seriously terrible, whatever you're trying to do with the squiffer other guns do better. Mid range gun? Splattershot pro and .96 gal both do it better. Splat bombs? So many guns have splat bombs or variants of the splat bomb that you're better off with those. Bubbler? Again, better guns have this special that don't have the issues it has.

If its a great spot cool. But most of the Sniper I see are in an average spot and can move to other areas. Any match where I see a sniper do this, especially in tower control, I either have to carry or lose. Unfortunately, I am not that great where I can carry tons of games. And yes the squiffer is not great, I tested it afterward that post.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Also the squiffer is seriously terrible, whatever you're trying to do with the squiffer other guns do better. Mid range gun? Splattershot pro and .96 gal both do it better. Splat bombs? So many guns have splat bombs or variants of the splat bomb that you're better off with those. Bubbler? Again, better guns have this special that don't have the issues it has.
You need to get your facts straight. Squiffers do not have splat bombs. I don't know where you got that info.
Its not a rushdown gun. Its plays somewhat like longer ranged chargers in that it is a support and lock down weapon but can come closer to the action. It has amazing ink efficiency with decent range for one which pros certainly do not. I consider the classic squiffer with point sensor and bubbler better than new squiffer with ink mines and inkzooka but both perform well. Point sensor is great because it gets people out of hiding and bubbler is a nice fit for the squiffer. Jrs and other weapons with bubbler aren't that good with them because they often get pushed back because of the knockback from the people hitting the bubbler but with Squiffers you can usually hit back. With the new squiffer ink mines are very sub par but the inkzooka is an incredible special. Its not a sniper like the other chargers but can certainly do a lot to help the team as support and hassling the enemy team.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
You need to get your facts straight. Squiffers do not have splat bombs. I don't know where you got that info.
Its not a rushdown gun. Its plays somewhat like longer ranged chargers in that it is a support and lock down weapon but can come closer to the action. It has amazing ink efficiency with decent range for one which pros certainly do not. I consider the classic squiffer with point sensor and bubbler better than new squiffer with ink mines and inkzooka but both perform well. Point sensor is great because it gets people out of hiding and bubbler is a nice fit for the squiffer. Jrs and other weapons with bubbler aren't that good with them because they often get pushed back because of the knockback from the people hitting the bubbler but with Squiffers you can usually hit back. With the new squiffer ink mines are very sub par but the inkzooka is an incredible special. Its not a sniper like the other chargers but can certainly do a lot to help the team as support and hassling the enemy team.
You need to not sound like a prick, I don't know where you got the idea you can just have that kind of tone with whoever and it'd be ok. The wikia says that it has splatbombs as a sub, I'm sorry that I didn't "fact check" before talking about it but it doesn't give you the right to sound like a condescending douchebag.And let's just agree to disagree on the effectiveness of the squiffer because honestly even as a support weapon it doesn't add anything that other guns can offer. Honestly if there were any other guns that offered point sensor and bubbler, the squiffer would be obsolete.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
You need to not sound like a prick, I don't know where you got the idea you can just have that kind of tone with whoever and it'd be ok. The wikia says that it has splatbombs as a sub, I'm sorry that I didn't "fact check" before talking about it but it doesn't give you the right to sound like a condescending douchebag.And let's just agree to disagree on the effectiveness of the squiffer because honestly even as a support weapon it doesn't add anything that other guns can offer. Honestly if there were any other guns that offered point sensor and bubbler, the squiffer would be obsolete.
Whoa. Okay. I'm sorry if I came off as harsh. Really, I am. There is no excuse for it and what I'm about to say is not one. I just have a problem with people saying things as fact when they haven't done good research. I still believe Squiffers are good weapons. Sure if other weapons had their kit it would make squiffers kinda obsolete but there is no gun with that specific kit. (Classic) Squiffers are unique in that regard.

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
I think YOU need to not sound like a passive aggressive prick.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I think YOU need to not sound like a passive aggressive prick.
If you want "passive aggressive prick" then here, I think YOU need to mind your own business. That being said, now lets not turn this thread into some pointless argument about who is or isn't passive aggressive and who should or should not mind their own business.
Whoa. Okay. I'm sorry if I came off as harsh. Really, I am. There is no excuse for it and what I'm about to say is not one. I just have a problem with people saying things as fact when they haven't done good research. I still believe Squiffers are good weapons. Sure if other weapons had their kit it would make squiffers kinda obsolete but there is no gun with that specific kit. (Classic) Squiffers are unique in that regard.
It's whatever dude, I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound that way but it just did. If you really want to get mad at someone for people being misinformed, go tell of the people in charge of splatoon's wikia,

Last edited:

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Let's just all try to be civil guys, we are squids now not kids now...

Been having way too much fun with Custom Jet Squelcher. 1 damage main plus 1 damage sub bypasses the terrible TTK and makes it disgusting both from close range and afar, courtesy of burst bombs. Speaking of which, burst bombs make for amazing get away options.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
If you want "passive aggressive prick" then here, I think YOU need to mind your own business. That being said, now lets not turn this thread into some pointless argument about who is or isn't passive aggressive and who should or should not mind their own business.

It's whatever dude, I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound that way but it just did. If you really want to get mad at someone for people being misinformed, go tell of the people in charge of splatoon's wikia,
Tbh you sound like a bigger douche than anyone here. Just saying.

Squiffers are very good weapons, they can demolish in the right hands. I think using them kind of like a mix of a sniper and a slayer is extremely effective with them. They are not bad at all.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
"You need to get your facts straight" and "I don't know where you got that info from" does not sound like a prick. I don't know how in the world anyone could ever think that sounds even remotely prick-ish, but people surprise you every day I guess. Also you can literally look up squiffer on google and it gives you images of the in game loadout if you were away from your console and couldn't look it up (which I suspect you were). If not, just turn on the game and look so you don't have to throw a hissy fit over someone correcting you. : )

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Please can we just put this behind us. I've apologized and don't want this to start into a flame war.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
they can demolish in the right hands. I think using them kind of like a mix of a sniper and a slayer is extremely effective with them. They are not bad at all.
Of course in the right hands any weapon can "demolish", that doesn't make it a great weapon. In league of legends and many other games with lots of choices for people to use there are those that "main" one specific champion and they usually have strong performances against players with no experience playing against that character. Does that make the character they play as strong? Not really because when they play against players that are accustomed to playing against the character they play against they don't do so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom