• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Next US Splatfest: ART VS SCIENCE

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
well this will be my first splat fest of... many most likely that'll I'll miss due to school. that said team science all the way.

Yuubi

Full Squid
Kind of skipped last splatfest... But this theme seem to really hype my interest, I am going with ART! :D Though I like both art & science. Just look at that! who won't side with Glen keane?

Wi-fi Calcium

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gabby14
This one seems pretty even and hard to choose over the other. I'll choose science, because I think there already is an art form to science in the form of problem solving and innovation

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Should of been Magic vs Science.

What a missed opportunity.
Nah because some might equate magic with religion, leading to a huge uproar against Nintendo. Imagine a Science vs Religion Splatfest. Can you imagine such a thing happening? Rather not get into such a mess.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nah because some might equate magic with religion, leading to a huge uproar against Nintendo. Imagine a Science vs Religion Splatfest. Can you imagine such a thing happening? Rather not get into such a mess.
Maybe switch it to "Fantasy vs. Sci-Fi"? I think it was put in the suggestions for Splatfest Themes thread

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Maybe switch it to "Fantasy vs. Sci-Fi"? I think it was put in the suggestions for Splatfest Themes thread
That would be a good idea, would be a tough choice for me haha

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I introduced myself to this place as an amateur cryptographer, and I avidly studied science when I was younger (and still keep up to date with breakthroughs in science now, like the newly-discovered pentaquarks) but my major was Film & Digital Media, which is decidedly arts. Is that strange? (But because of this weird combination, I apparently become known among some circles for being able to explain complicated scientific concepts in simplistic ways, like strong theory and gravitational lenses.)

Personally, I'm rooting for Team Science, because Mythbusters and Bill Nye.
Just wanted to point out, as a BattleBots fan, that Grant Imahara, Adam Savage, and Jamie Hyneman operated bots in those competitions, and Bill Nye was a correspondent for the Comedy Central run. Try watching the beginning of this video; it looks like MythBusters if it was on Comedy Central instead of Discovery Channel.

Going to be ironic how those in Team Science who consider themselves good artists will have to use art to express themselves when making Miiverse posts. And I am going to be one of them.
There are plenty of people knowledgeable in the sciences and good at drawing. Well, there's more so than good artists who are also economists, or good artists who are also computer programmers, or good artists who are mathematicians, or, for some reason, good artists who are also musicians (which is, of course, an art form).

There is a lot of overlap with good artists and professional chefs though. It's weird.

Should of been Magic vs Science.

What a missed opportunity.
At least we can consider art as a kind of magic.

Especially if you're into Surrealism.
Magic can also be a form of science as well. Magic has, folklorically, been a way to explain things that could not be explained with the technology of its time. In addition, the magic seen in fiction, if it behaves with consistent rules and limitations, can then be experimented on and its inner workings discovered and documented. When that happens, magic simply becomes another branch of science.

Clarke's Law states that sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic. The webcomic Girl Genius also states the inverse: Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Cats
Water Slides
Hot Dogs
Decepticons
. . .ART!

My girlfriend is an artist, and I make music, so this one was a no-brainer. :cool:

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
This is very much a "chicken or egg" type thing. I picked science though

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
And already got a comment about how my Miiverse post is art. Actually that would be a compliment in any other setting, lol. You really cannot have one with out the other. Team Art can say that Team Science is utilizing art but Team Science can say to Team Art that they are utilizing the science of the technology behind that Wii U and Miiverse in order to draw in the first place.

This is what I drew:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkcDKJQEA

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom