• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Set for the E-Liters who get all their kills using burst bombs:
Sun Visor: :ability_bombrange:-:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:clothes_swt003:::ability_bombrange:-:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
:shoes_sht000:::ability_bombrange:-:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
The last thing the E-Liter needs is more range on its sub weapon. Besides, you're going to have a hard time getting kills with the Burst Bombs without Damage Up (not to mention the fact that you won't be able to kill with a partially-charged shot from your actual weapon). Better to save the Bomb Range Up for Burst Bomb weapons with less range, such as the Splattershot/Hero Shot.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
The last thing the E-Liter needs is more range on its sub weapon. Besides, you're going to have a hard time getting kills with the Burst Bombs without Damage Up (not to mention the fact that you won't be able to kill with a partially-charged shot from your actual weapon). Better to save the Bomb Range Up for Burst Bomb weapons with less range, such as the Splattershot/Hero Shot.
It was supposed to be a joke referencing the low level eliters who can't aim, and then just get scared when you get near them and start spamming burst bombs =P
Like you said, it should never be a real eliter build, since eliters should always be stacking damage ups.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
It was supposed to be a joke referencing the low level eliters who can't aim, and then just get scared when you get near them and start spamming burst bombs =P
Like you said, it should never be a real eliter build, since eliters should always be stacking damage ups.
That sounds like a fairly legit Carbon Roller/Splattershot/maybe Neo Splash-o-Matic build for Burst Bomb-based playstyles. Probably not for E-Liter lol :P

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
You really need damage ups for burst bomb builds. Getting those "barely hits" to mean something in terms of damage is very helpful.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, okay then. Here goes nothing!

So this is what I use with my .52 Gal:

:head_first: (main: :ability_inkrecovery:, subs: 3x:ability_damage:)
:clothes_tel003: (main: :ability_damage:, subs: 2x :ability_inksavermain: and 1x :ability_quickrespawn:)
:shoes_bot003: (main: :ability_inkresistance:, subs: 2x :ability_runspeed: and 1x :ability_specialduration:)
(Ideally, I'd have triples on everything, but I wanted to wait until I got more Sea Snails to start rerolling.)

The idea is simple enough, to me: 1 main & 3 subs of Damage Up to counteract at least 2 main's worth of Defense Up, Ink Recovery to offset the Splash Wall's ink consumption, Main Ink Saver to allow for more shots after throwing a Wall, Run Speed Up so I can be a little more mobile when firing, and Ink Resistance is there so I'm not completely stuck should I get into a pickle.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well, okay then. Here goes nothing!

So this is what I use with my .52 Gal:

:head_first: (main: :ability_inkrecovery:, subs: 3x:ability_damage:)
:clothes_tel003: (main: :ability_damage:, subs: 2x :ability_inksavermain: and 1x :ability_quickrespawn:)
:shoes_bot003: (main: :ability_inkresistance:, subs: 2x :ability_runspeed: and 1x :ability_specialduration:)
(Ideally, I'd have triples on everything, but I wanted to wait until I got more Sea Snails to start rerolling.)

The idea is simple enough, to me: 1 main & 3 subs of Damage Up to counteract at least 2 main's worth of Defense Up, Ink Recovery to offset the Splash Wall's ink consumption, Main Ink Saver to allow for more shots after throwing a Wall, Run Speed Up so I can be a little more mobile when firing, and Ink Resistance is there so I'm not completely stuck should I get into a pickle.
Wow. This is honestly that I've been using lately as well. I go back and forth on the blue moto boots and the red hi-tops, but the shirt and hat are the same. It seems to work well for me.

ParanoidDrone

Full Squid
NNID
ParanoidDrone
With the upcoming patch and lots of buffs to abilities (Haunt! Recon! Last Ditch Effort! Bomb Sniffer!), how will this thread be affected?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
With the upcoming patch and lots of buffs to abilities (Haunt! Recon! Last Ditch Effort! Bomb Sniffer!), how will this thread be affected?
We'll just have to see how things shake out. As far as I can tell, no builds will become inherently sub-par, so I will keep everything unchanged for now. I'm sure new builds will be tested and vetted when people start experimenting. Should be exciting.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wow. This is honestly that I've been using lately as well. I go back and forth on the blue moto boots and the red hi-tops, but the shirt and hat are the same. It seems to work well for me.
Well, great minds think alike, so they say. Although I'll have to use it again to see if it needs any tweaking.

Anyway, I ran into a guy earlier today who was using a very run speed-centric build. What stood out to me was that he was using Opening Gambit, which in hindsight is probably what allowed him to get to our side of the map as fast as he did.
It wasn't until after the match ended that it hit me: Opening Gambit is getting major buff this coming week, right? Now it'll be like having 3x :ability_runspeed: & :ability_swimspeed: for the first 30 seconds of a match. Having that on top of all other Run/Swim Speed Ups in use...

With that in mind, I'm thinking the new OG would fit right at home on any Sonic-style build. Now the issue is that neither the Krak-On nor Rockenberg brands have a hat with it as a main ability, so you're forced to go for an unnatural roll if you want those 3 extra R/SSUp subs. (Which I guess you'd have to do anyway?)
:head_cap004: (main:ability_openinggambit:, subs 3x :ability_quickrespawn:)
:clothes_tel006: (main:ability_swimspeed:, subs 3x:ability_runspeed:) or Krak-On 528 (main :ability_runspeed:, subs 3x:ability_swimspeed:)
:shoes_lts000: (main:ability_swimspeed:, subs 3x :ability_runspeed:) or :shoes_sdl000: (main :ability_runspeed:, subs 3x:ability_swimspeed:)

Me, I'd settle for having 3 subs of Quick Respawn in order to, well... get back into the action more quickly. At least, I think it complements the Speed Up abilities better than the other options.

Keep in mind, this is all hypothesizing on my end. It could very well be different once it's field tested. (Which reminds me, I need to actually get these so I can try this out for myself.)

Tri

Inkling
NNID
chambergojd
Ignore this, look at the next post.

Last edited:

Tri

Inkling
NNID
chambergojd
For the Carbon Roller :wst_roller_compact00::
:head_cap009:: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_first:: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi005:: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/
:shoes_slp000:::ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/
:shoes_slp001:::ability_quicksuperjump:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/
:shoes_sdl001:::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This Carbon Roller set focuses on being able to return as quick as possible to assist your allies after a splat, as well as having that Inkzooka on deck to possibly turn the tide in your favor. The headgear and clothes are easy to understand.
- Quick Respawn is mainly to take out an enemy or two, possibly trading in the process, then get right back info the fray in the blink of an eye.
- If you get killed, Special Saver ensures that you won't be losing too much meter.
- Damage Up is for Burst Bombs to deal more damage, making it more efficient at splatting.

The shoes are a bit of a toss up, though all have Swim Speed Up because this weapon thrives off of good positioning and movement.
- Ink Resistance Up is pretty self explanatory.
- Bomb Range Up is for keeping up the pressure from a greater distance than before.
- Quick Super Jump is always there if you want to return to the action even more quickly after respawning.
- Even more Quick Respawn because it never hurts to get back to the front lines even more quickly.

Give me some insight! This was my first set and I'd like to know what else could work.

Last edited:

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Gonna try to contribute to one of my favorite weapons.
This is what I use with the Neo Sploosh-o-matic.

:wst_shot_short00:(neo)
Squid Nordic ( :ability_comeback: | :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:)
:clothes_tel006: ( :ability_swimspeed: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: :ability_specialcharge:)
Punk Whites ( :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_runspeed:)

Being a close-range weapon, trades will happen quite often. Therefore, comeback + 3 quick respawn is an interesting combination. The special charge ups allow for a lot of Krakens, as this weapon is very good at covering turf. Movement is very important for the Neo Sploosh, so run and swim speed up are a must have. Note that the Punk Whites have a higher chance of getting run speed up, so if you have a triple on them you can use this as an alternative:
:clothes_tes007: ( :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:)

First time contribution, opinions are more than welcome.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For the Carbon Roller :wst_roller_compact00::
:head_cap009:: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
:clothes_first:: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
:shoes_shi005:: :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/
:shoes_slp000:::ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/
:shoes_slp001:::ability_quicksuperjump:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:/
:shoes_sdl001:::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This Carbon Roller set focuses on being able to return as quick as possible to assist your allies after a splat, as well as having that Inkzooka on deck to possibly turn the tide in your favor. The headgear and clothes are easy to understand.
- Quick Respawn is mainly to take out an enemy or two, possibly trading in the process, then get right back info the fray in the blink of an eye.
- If you get killed, Special Saver ensures that you won't be losing too much meter.
- Damage Up is for Burst Bombs to deal more damage, making it more efficient at splatting.

The shoes are a bit of a toss up, though all have Swim Speed Up because this weapon thrives off of good positioning and movement.
- Ink Resistance Up is pretty self explanatory.
- Bomb Range Up is for keeping up the pressure from a greater distance than before.
- Quick Super Jump is always there if you want to return to the action even more quickly after respawning.
- Even more Quick Respawn because it never hurts to get back to the front lines even more quickly.

Give me some insight! This was my first set and I'd like to know what else could work.
Seems solid. More Damage always works well with rollers and burst bombs, so maybe the plum casuals for another shoe alternative.
Gonna try to contribute to one of my favorite weapons.
This is what I use with the Neo Sploosh-o-matic.

Squid Nordic ( :ability_comeback: | :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:)
:clothes_tel006: ( :ability_swimspeed: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: :ability_specialcharge:)
Punk Whites ( :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_runspeed:)

Being a close-range weapon, trades will happen quite often. Therefore, comeback + 3 quick respawn is an interesting combination. The special charge ups allow for a lot of Krakens, as this weapon is very good at covering turf. Movement is very important for the Neo Sploosh, so run and swim speed up are a must have. Note that the Punk Whites have a higher chance of getting run speed up, so if you have a triple on them you can use this as an alternative:
:clothes_tes007: ( :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:)

First time contribution, opinions are more than welcome.
Also seems solid. Run speed and swim speed are important for the Sploosh. If I were to include it, I would probably go with the natural rolls, just FYI.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
Also seems solid. Run speed and swim speed are important for the Sploosh. If I were to include it, I would probably go with the natural rolls, just FYI.
Yeah, fair enough. In that case, the build would be:

Punk Whites ( :ability_specialcharge: | :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:)

Same description as in my original post, except for the last part of course.

Tri

Inkling
NNID
chambergojd
Seems solid. More Damage always works well with rollers and burst bombs, so maybe the plum casuals for another shoe alternative.
You know, I thought about adding those but figured the basic tee would make up for them. I guess if you're really worried about people who stack Defense like pizza boxes you can always go for:
:shoes_cfs001:::ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I will try to add a few builds to this list.

Custom Splattershot Jr.
Black Arrowbands :head_eye004: :ability_tenacity:l:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: OR Gas Mask :head_msk000::ability_tenacity:l:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration: OR Fake Contacts :head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:l:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Purple Camo LS :clothes_tel002::ability_bombrange:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: OR Striped Rugby :clothes_plo001::ability_runspeed:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: OR Sunny-Day Tee:clothes_tes007::ability_specialcharge:l:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
LE Soccer Cleats :ability_inkresistance:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge: OR Turquoise Kicks :shoes_lts002::ability_specialcharge:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: OR Clownfish Basics :shoes_slo006::ability_specialcharge:l:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

A good role for this weapon is running around and abusing your fire rate, mobility, and ink efficiency to spread ink, toss Disruptors, and quickly charge Echolocators. After the buff, Tenacity boosts your special pretty quickly, and I recommend either the Black Arrowbands or the Gas Mask to further keep/extend your special. The Fake Contacts work fine if you want classic Special Charge Up. For the shirt, I recommend more Special Charge Up to spam more Echolocators, while Bomb Range Up allows you to better harras foes and defend yourself with Disruptors. If you want more mobility, seeing as you need to successfully strafe most foes to splat them, add one of the shirts to improve speed. The shoes are much of the same, increase special charge and your choice of mobility.

Now that I think of it, this set would be pretty useful on the N-Zap 85 too.

Heavy Splatling

Jungle Hat :head_hat001::ability_inksavermain:l:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: OR Fuju Bell Hat :ability_inkrecovery:l:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub: OR 18K Aviators :ability_lastditcheffort:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Sailor Stripe Tee:clothes_tes019::ability_runspeed:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: OR Black Squideye :clothes_tes001::ability_runspeed:l:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery: OR Round Collared Shirt :ability_inksaversub:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Blue Moto Boots :shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:l:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed: OR Neon Green Sea Slugs:shoes_sht002: :ability_inkresistance:l:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:OR Red High-Tops:ability_inkresistance:l:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:

As a splatling, you will need to move around a lot on foot, so Run Speed Up is a given to help strafe your foes. As an Ink Wall user, you want to be able to use them liberally to support your team, while still being able to shoot afterwards. The Jungle Hat and Fuju Bell Hat both are good at saving ink, and are my recommendation. Run speed up hats are limited, but the 18K Aviators can be somewhat useful after the Last Ditch Efffort buff. With the shirt, you can go both Run speed and an ink saver of choice, pretty self explanatory. I recommend Ink Resistance simply because it is a bit difficult to escape enemy fire with this weapon, and that it is good on pretty much anything. You have a few good choices for subs, though I recommend the Moto boots if you do not have any Run Speed on your hat.

Last edited:

s_miyahon

Inkster Jr.
My Bamboozler MK II set:

Legendary Cap: :ability_damage: | :ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_runspeed:
Forge Inkling Parka: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Acerola Rain Boots: :ability_runspeed:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_defenseup:

Could probably replace the subs on Parka with Bomb Range up and still be fine. Some of my friends did testing with Bamboozler damage at certain charge levels and found that 1 Main and 4 Subs of damage to be ideal for people that semi-charge Bamboozler [like me]. Run Speed useful for strafing, spacing, keeping up with enemies, etc. I tried it with 1 Main of Run Speed and it just didn't feel like enough to keep mobility.

The roll on my Rain Boots is actually beautiful and I love it. Notably because they're branded against Damage up so the roll I got has only a .09% chance of happening, and I got them in the first two slots as well so my friends can order them from me and potentially help make them a super rare triple. It somehow only took like 300k worth of rerolls to get these.

Edit: As much as I love the Rain Boots, I think I've come to the conclusion that it was too much Run Speed and I should only need that much on Hammerhead Bridge. Instead I will be working towards:

Tan Work Boots: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_runspeed:

Starting to really like one BRU main for Disruptors.
Do you find Ink Resistance effective on bamboozler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom