• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The "What do I use with this weapon?" Build Compendium

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I have that build under the vanilla mini. Probably because you were using it before the zink was released. Does it still work for the vanilla?
Yep, I was mainly using the Vanilla Mini Splatling so I would be familiar with the weapon before the Zink Mini came out (...and kind of show that the Mini Splatling was a good weapon). Also the build works just fine with the Vanilla Mini and I had pretty good success with it before the Zink Mini came out. ;)

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Camo Mesh:
:head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:

Basic Tee:
:clothes_first: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

Cyan Trainers:
:shoes_sht004: :ability_damage:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

This set makes use of the burst cancel combo... with 1 main damage up and three subs can ensure a 2HKO! Swim Speed can help with ink recovery up since you will be swimming in your ink more often than running around...

Alternate Gear:
:clothes_swt001: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
The Squidmark Sweat: Putting more range into your burst bombs for zoning Pros and 96 players

:head_amb000: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_unknown::ability_unknown::ability_unknown: (anything useful)
Squid Hairclip: If you don't like ink saver sub then try using this (if you have the inkling girl amiibo)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@ShinyTogetic
Your set is almost identical in terms of abilities to Zolda's. I will probably just put it as some alternative gear, if that's ok with you.
(I'm running out of room on that post)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Here, I have some unique set ideas for the Tri-Slosher Nouveau, the Rapid Blaster, and the Rapid Blaster Pro.

Tri-Slosher Nouveau:

Streetstyle Cap :head_cap003:: :ability_inksaversub:| :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Herbivore Tee: :ability_ninjasquid:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Punk Yellows: :ability_specialsaver:| :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

Basically a big Ink Saver Sub kit when it comes down to it. Seekers are very tank-consuming, and this isn't the most ink-efficient of Seeker-loadout weapons, so the 1 main and 3 subs is a big help there. There's also some focus on getting back into the fray, because this weapon does want to be in the action, just not in the forefront and instead hunting down the enemy teammates at all times, so Quick Respawn and Special Saver allow you to be back in and ready with Echolocator in a faster manner. Ninja Squid is really good for not being noticed yourself, especially since the enemies will usually be very aware of their surroundings under echolocation. Also good for setting up unexpected Seekers. Run Speed Up is also very good on a weapon with this short a range, and while it isn't extremely necessary, if an enemy with longer range sees you it'll be helpful for rushing down so he/she gets in your dead zone.

Rapid Blaster:

Studio Headphones :head_hdp000:: :ability_inksavermain:| :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration:
Varsity Jacket :clothes_jkt003:: :ability_damage:| :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Bubble Rain Boots: :ability_damage:| :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

This set has a big focus on the main weapon but also dedicating some slots for aid on the Bubbler. Damage Up is, of course, very useful for this weapon because of the 2-shot kill, and it also allows a greater chance of killing with the edge of the Inkmine explosion. This weapon is one that wants to stay back and set up traps for the enemy's frontrunners, so Defense Up is also ideal in this situation. Ink Saver Main is a good help since the weapon isn't super ink-efficient and it can help one have more ink for more shots after or before placing an Inkmine. You'll want to have your Bubbler pretty quickly after being splatted, since this doesn't charge it super quickly, hence the Special Saver, and Special Duration Up allows for longer invincibility with it to account for the long time-to-kill.

Rapid Blaster Pro:

Fishfry Visor :head_vis001:: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Green Zip Hoodie :clothes_prk001:: :ability_specialduration:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Cyan Trainers :shoes_sht004:: :ability_damage:| :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

This weapon needs lots of ink efficiency perks, especially on the Seekers, thus, six mains of Ink Saver Sub should be a big help. Ink Refill Up helps to go for another round quicker, after both using up the main weapon and the Seekers (because the main weapon is also very ink-hungry). Damage Up is great for this weapon since it has the slowest time-to-kill in the game, although its not super-essential since it does have two 1-shot side weapons. This isn't the best weapon for charging Inkzooka quickly, the special with the most points needed, so a main of Special Charge Up will be a big aid, and Special Duration Up allows for more opportunities for 1-shot kills with that special, since you'll want to take every opportunity to use it. If you'll want more Special Charge Up on this set, use the Baseball Jersey :clothes_shirt008:: :ability_specialcharge:| :ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Alright. I'm basically out of room in the splatling/slosher post. Therefore, I might remove the sloshers and edit them into my first reply post on the first page. I definitely don't have room for the sloshing machine otherwise.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Alright. I'm basically out of room in the splatling/slosher post. Therefore, I might remove the sloshers and edit them into my first reply post on the first page. I definitely don't have room for the sloshing machine otherwise.
Fine by me! Any method to expand the loadouts. :D

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Alright then, I assume you'll do the same when the Custom Hydra comes out as well?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Alright then, I assume you'll do the same when the Custom Hydra comes out as well?
Yeah, I should have room for the custom hydra after splitting that post.

Sundays are work days, so it might be a little while before I can update everything. Thanks for the input everyone!

RE: General builds
I'm thinking:
Quick Respawn and variants (comeback, stealth jump)
Sonic (swim speed and run speed)
General Shooter (swim speed and ink efficiency)
General Charger (ink recovery and damage up)

Now that I think about it though, there doesn't seem to be a ton of agreed upon general builds, eh?

tazz

Inkster Jr.
A custom e liter set

Zink mini headband/Legendary Cap/Snorkel Mask :ability_damage:+:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
FC albacore :ability_damage:+:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Clownfish Basics :ability_specialcharge:+:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

First is unnatural but useful for so many sets and really worth getting
This is basically sacrificing ink recovery for a powerful, frequent kraken.

For a natural set, use white headband :ability_inkrecovery:+:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: and plum high tops :ability_damage:+:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Alrighty, I've added a few suggested builds as well as one for the L-3D after playing it for awhile. I also moved the sloshers down the page a bit and linked them to the OP.

I need a build for the Neo Sloshing Machine if anyone has something they're using. (honestly, I feel like my vanilla slosh. mach. build works fine for it too)

Still working on the "general" builds.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Alrighty, I've added a few suggested builds as well as one for the L-3D after playing it for awhile. I also moved the sloshers down the page a bit and linked them to the OP.

I need a build for the Neo Sloshing Machine if anyone has something they're using. (honestly, I feel like my vanilla slosh. mach. build works fine for it too)

Still working on the "general" builds.
Wow, thanks for adding those builds! By the way, here's the picture of the Cyan Trainers :shoes_sht004:, which I forgot to post in my loadout at first for some reason. XP

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
tbh on the squiffers i generally prefer more walk speed to anything else (i even ditched ink res a while back for some shoes that purely boost run and walk speed and have been doing just great) -- but these are good starting builds for new players.

i do virtually the same set on my mk II bamboozler as i do on my squiffers, to mixed results... are damage up really that useful on the bamboozler? you're not gonna get OHKOs regardless and it doesn't take much more at all to get the kill with or without damage ups. but then again, walk speed doesn't seem to benefit this weapon as much as for the squiffers, so i don't honestly know. it just feels like a waste whenever i see bamboozlers with 500 damage ups online (seriously, might as well play the default e-liter or another full charger)
I'm still working on an optimal bamboozler mk.II set so I won't post it yet, but I just came across this post and wanted to point something out.

1 damage up main or x3 damage up minis is bare minimum for the bamboozler. Without at least 1 main/or x3 minis, than 3 def up mains turn a charged shot+uncharged shot kill into an charged shot + two uncharged shots to kill.

2 mains of damage up, or 1 main x3 minis, or x6 damage up minis allows for 3 uncharged shots to kill when they have no def up investment.

In light of all this I feel that stacking tons of damage up to get that 1hko potential (which they *have* to be in your ink to get) isn't viable and instead you'd benefit more from other abilities. I'd reccomend ink resist for sure since bamboozler doesn't cover turf very well, and I'm trying to include cold blooded into my set.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I have one, I use it for both Octorburushes, I originally made it for the first Octobrush before the nouveau came out, so it's probably better for the original
:wst_roller_brushnormal00:
:head_hbd002:::ability_damage:+:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage: (this is only pure since I got really lucky from my spike order XD It's hard to get but 2 damage ups on an octobrush is really useful)
(Squidstar Waistcoat? I don't see it)::ability_coldblooded:+:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:shoes_shi005:::ability_inkresistance:+:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
General builds:

Quick Respawn Builds
Quick respawn sets get you back into the action faster after a splat. There are several different strategies and ideologies for using quick respawn, ranging from capitalizing on trades, to general respawn ability, to gimicky tower control builds. Some sets run "full" quick respawn, meaning they the equivalent or near equivalent of 3 mains or more of quick respawn. Other builds run slightly less in order to fit in an ability that compliments quick respawn. Many pieces are interchangeable with lots of abilities available based on what exactly you want to do with your strategy. My recommendation is to run at least two main or 6 subs of quick respawn to get a noticeable advantage from the ability, but tailor the rest of your gear based on your playstyle. Here are some examples:
Set I - Sonic Respawn
Retro Specs or Backwards Cap :head_eye000: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain: or :head_cap009: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Squid-Stitch Tee :clothes_tes017::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Choco Clogs or Moto Boots:shoes_sdl001: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_bot000::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
This set is a full quick respawn set that seeks to increase mobility. If you get a shiny respawn hat with swim speed or run speed, that would be ideal. The set is very versatile and can be used on just about any shooter or blaster. The swim speed set is also good for the splat roller and carbon roller and their variants. Use the ink saver main hat if you are worried about ink consumption, otherwise the special saver fits in really well with respawn builds. Also consider the squid nordic for comeback:
:ability_comeback:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:

Set II - Special Saver (with or without comeback)
Squid Nordic (no picture) or Backwards Cap or Five Panel Cap :ability_comeback:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn: or :head_cap009: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: or :head_cap007: :ability_comeback:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Squid Satin Jacket (no picture) :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
Orange Low-Tops or Cream Basics or Choco Clogs :shoes_slo004::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: or :shoes_shi002: :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :shoes_sdl001::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
The basics of the special saver are to run the (near) equivalent of 2 main quick respawn and 2 main special saver. 6 subs of special saver lets you keep about 70% of your special meter, which is great on hard to get specials like kraken or inkzooka, but useful on everything. Comeback (if you choose to run it) is effective on quick respawn builds because you get back into the action much faster. Combine it with swim speed and you will be travelling very fast for 20 seconds.

Set III - High Efficiency
Retro Specs :head_eye000: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
White Striped LS :clothes_tel000: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Black Trainers :shoes_sht009::ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
This set is for weapons that require a lot of ink but still want to benefit from quick respawn. This is also useful for Turf Warriors that just like to ink turf, or stand and shoot for awhile for pressure, etc. Depending on the weapon, the shirt can be switched out for swim speed, damage up, or special charge up. Good for the dynamo rollers and things like the splattershot pro or .96 gal.
Alts:
Squid-stitch Tee :clothes_tes017: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
Basic Tee :clothes_first: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:
Tri-Color Rugby :clothes_plo002: :ability_quickrespawn:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

NOTE: Add stealth jump to any set with 2 mains or 6 subs of quick respawn to get a build that is really good at jumping to the tower after a splat, or getting back into battle quickly and surprising your foes. My favorite are the cream hi-tops
:shoes_shi002::ability_stealthjump:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Because swim speed so universally helpful.

Defense Builds
Defense loadouts use at least 3 mains or 9 subs of defense up to seriously hinder the time-to-splat of popular weapons like the Tentatek Splattershot and .52 Gal. These builds tend to be pretty durable, but that are no where near invincible, so don't think you can tank everything. Sometimes you will absorb a half-charged splatterscope shot, but don't get over-confident. Often builds will use one or two pure defense up items, which are hard to obtain but add another level of protection.

Set I - General
Lightweight Cap :head_cap001: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Baby-Jelly Shirt :clothes_shirt007: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Squid-Stitch Slip-Ons :shoes_slp002::ability_defenseup:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This is just a basic set that allows you to be mobile with a bunch of swim speed as well as including some ink saver to help you keep firing in bad situations. If you are confident with your ink efficiency, the retro sweat is a decent inclusion.
:clothes_swt002::ability_defenseup:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage:

Set II - Special Charger
Takaroka Mesh :head_cap008: :ability_defenseup:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Slipstream United (no picture) :ability_defenseup:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Blue Lo-Tops :shoes_slo000::ability_defenseup:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
This set is good for charging slow specials like inzooka or kraken while maintaining the defense gimmick. Once again, many defense builds aim to get more defense subs on their defense main items. The more defense ou can stack, the better. This set is useful for the .96 gal deco.

Sonic Builds (Sanic)
When someone says "Sonic" they might be talking about the blue hedgehog, but in this context they are probably talking about a build that attempts to max out swim speed and run speed. Many short and mid range shooters can effectively use the Sonic loadout because they have good ink efficiency and an already decent strafe speed while firing. The build is relatively easy to put together except the headgear. You can try to get a pure swim speed or run speed hat, or do the best you can with a perfect of your choice.
Set I
Golf Visor :head_vis000::ability_runspeed:|:ability_unknown::ability_unknown::ability_unknown: (this is often the hat I see with multiple run speed subs, even though it is not a natural roll)
Black Baseball LS :clothes_tel006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
White Kicks :shoes_lts000: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

There is a lot of flexibility with this set, depending on if you run strafe or swim strafe more often. You can run a swim speed hat and try for more swim or run speed on it as well. This set is good for any of the short range shooters, as well as the L-3s, nzaps and splattershots. I'd be hesitant to run it with the .52 gals because of the almost requirement for stacking damage up at high levels.

Alternative Setup - Swim Speed
Camo Mesh (or any swim speed hat):head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_unknown::ability_unknown::ability_unknown: (try to get as many swim speed subs, or you can use the run speed hat you used for the above build)
Krak-On 528 (no picture) :ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Oyster Clogs :shoes_sdl000::ability_runspeed:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
These builds are typically good at carrying the rainmaker because of all the movement buffs.

Special Charger/Battery Builds (I do not have much expertise here)
Special batteries are builds that aim to charge your special meter very quickly. These builds are most useful on already quick charging specials like inkstrike and echolocator to get them more often, but are also helpful on weapons with slower specials like inkzooka and kraken.
High Efficiency Set
Fake Contacts :head_eye007: :ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Red Vector Tee :clothes_tes013::ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This build is used to charge specials on weapons that need ink efficiency and don't have great coverage. Consider the soccer headband as well:
:ability_tenacity:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

Speed Set
Two Stripe Mesh :head_cap010: :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Sunny Day Tee :clothes_tes007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Soccer Cleats (no picture) :ability_inkresistance:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
This set is for weapons that don't need ink efficiency that like to speed around the map. Some special saver is to keep as much special as possible after a death. Also consider
Punk Whites (no picture) :ability_specialcharge:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
Clownfish basics :shoes_slo006::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Special Saver Mix
Two Stripe Mesh :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Layered Vector LS:ability_specialsaver:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Clownfish Basics:ability_specialcharge:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This set adds more special saver, perhaps for weapons that were hit hard by the special meter penalty. It still has some swim speed to move around and special charge to help you get your special.

Ninja Builds
These builds all use the Ninja Squid shirt exclusive ability. Ninja squid was so popular in the game's early life that Nintendo put a sizeable nerf on your swim speed when using the ability. This can be countered by one main swim speed ability. However, the ability is hard-countered by echolocator, haunt, and point sensors and therefore you should be aware of its limitations. Ninja squid is best used as a way to give you a slight advantage in combat or to approach unsuspecting enemies who are focused on other members of your team. It is not for competitive play. That said, it can be a lot of fun watching people shoot at your last location because they didn't see ripples swim away.
Defense Build
Lightweight Cap :head_cap001::ability_swimspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Green Striped LS :clothes_tel009::ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This is suitable for weapons that can win 1v1 situations if they can just survive one more hit. Remember to swim strafe as much as possible instead of just run strafing. If you are able to dip and re-position in the ink you will likely have a better angle on your opponent and they typically won't know where you went.

Special Saver Build
Two Stripe Mesh :head_cap010: :ability_specialsaver:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Zekko Hoodie :clothes_prk002::ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:
This build is for weapons that either have trouble building to their special or have a high penalty for dying.

Ninja Grenadier
Camo Mesh :head_cap006: :ability_swimspeed:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Herbivore Tee (no picture) :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blue Slip Ons :shoes_slp000::ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
This is a fun build for weapons with burst bombs. 6 ink saver subs gives you three burst bombs. The build only has room for 1 bomb range, but that still gives you some extra range for splatting foes right out of reach. This build doesn't run damage up, so the main focus is actually more on the gun than burst bombs. Use your bombs more to finish off foes or to move around and less as a pressuring tool or distance killer (although still possible with precise aim).

The trick to Ninja Builds is to get as much swim speed as possible, which means on your hat and on your shoes. Then try to stack the abilities available (hence defense, special saver, and sub saver).

Last edited:

Xano

Inkling
Thank you for making this thread! This is exactly what people like me need when we go looking for advice on builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom