• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Underestimated Weapons

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I see this about Nozzlenoses, and brushes, since people say it hurts their hands. I think the unused aspect of the nozzlenoses is more to do with the fact that you have to be more accurate than a charger, since you need all, or almost all shots to line up. The H-3 especially suffers, since if only 2 shots hit, you have to wait quite a while before you can fire again, and most weapons kill you in that interval. I think the L-3's are better, and more used, but I agree they have a niche use, and are generally pretty good if you are on aim.
What you said is kind of what I'm talking about. The burst fire mechanic has that "delay" as the balancing downside, kind of like the short range of a Sploosh-o-matic, which splats just as fast. That means that you have to make that burst count in a fight. It's pretty much an "all-in" weapon, where you either get a large advantage or a big disadvantage. Without the delay you would have a weapon that melts everyone with no drawbacks, and if there's such a weapon why use anything else?

Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing that many Squiffers around, so I guess that'll be my pick for Underestimated Weapons :wst_charge_quick00::wst_charge_quick01:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Being a S rank Nozzlehose d player I do seem to notice many including myself suffer from this burst fire mechanic from time to time but here are a few tips to counter it
First, switch quickly tap the zl button in between shots, this doesn't shorten the time by much, but can help you dodge a few shots in order to be able to deal your last shot before you are splatted

Second if you can catch someone off guard throw 2 burst bomb and then fire a shot, due to 'burst bomb canceling' this animation moves very quick and can easily overwhelm an enemy however you will be low on ink afterwards so be close to allies or your own covered area

Lastly, jump most time there is lag to your shots when you jump with a weapon but this doesn't apply to the nozzlehose series so jumping in midair is actually faster most weapons in splatoon when it come to aerial combat and therefore can easily overwhelm anyone below you.

My new L-3 Nozzlehose D set
:ability_tenacity: :ability_defenseup::ability_quickrespawn::ability_defenseup:
:ability_specialsaver::ability_quickrespawn::ability_bombrange::ability_defenseup:
:ability_specialcharge::ability_bombrange::ability_inkrecovery::ability_bombrange:

Dankizard

Inkling
NNID
MaximusScrubLord
Ok, this is kind of an awesome thread for me because I main L-3 D, Octobrush, and Inkbrush (S+ Le Meme Team). All three are incredible if you practice a lot (still working on squiffer). Octobrush needs swimspeed and superjump up, so that you can escape from situations you know you won't win and waste your enemies time trying to finish you off. The L-3D is best when given speed and a teeny bit of strength. The coolest thing is with one strength up main, a burst bomb and one tap of Zr will splat anyone without a defense up. This gun also barely outranges one of the most common in the game, tentatek/octoshot. Quick note about h-3, it can kill a gal before the wall lands if the timing is just right. Inkbrush? Holy moly a whole lot of strength and special up. You want to take advantage of your quick flanks, as well as hiding behind enemy lines to catch the unsuspecting e-liter with a few smacks of the brush. I would reccommend either inkvisible swimming or cold-blooded, as those two are both great setups for flanks. Use sprinkler as a distraction, and flee by running instead of swimming.
Kind of a hodgepodge of random sets, but I hope this proves helpful to anyone who wants to give these weapons a try!

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I finally played a ranked match with an L-3 D! I also played around 30-40 gal/tentatek users though, so, yeah…

Chronya

Full Squid
NNID
Chronometro
a couple of pixels, but nothing that can be noticed in practice
Nope, if HS or JS are your main you can feel the difference absolutely clear.

the choice between them is pretty clear-cut.
No it isn't. If you try to play with heavy splatling as you play with shooters you do it wrong. But for CQC on Flounder and Blackbelly CJS is better because of position of gun and burst bombs. Only there. But I'm trying to overcome this too =)
Heavy Splatling is awesome versatile but if you don't know how to play offensive with it, you just waste it's potential.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I actually see L-3s somewhat often, not even counting myself, but H-3s, yeah, those guns are never used lel.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nope, if HS or JS are your main you can feel the difference absolutely clear.
They are my mains and I even tested it in the firing range. My inkling didn't even take a full walking step while checking out the max ranges of both weapons, and since the Heavy Splatling can shoot a bit higher than usual it might even tie with the Jet Squelcher in range at times (but that's up to RNG), although that goes both ways as it can also shoot a bit lower than usual.

However, what does make the difference is the accuracy. With the Heavy Splatling you're lucky to hit anything at max range while the Jet Squelcher will nearly always hit its mark o_O

Chronya

Full Squid
NNID
Chronometro
However, what does make the difference is the accuracy.
Splatlings have great accuracy for its fire rate and you can easily get kill on max range. Especially compared to Gals =)

For me range differences is clear for maps such as Urchin Underpass and Port Mackerel.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Splatlings have great accuracy for its fire rate and you can easily get kill on max range. Especially compared to Gals =)
The thing about the Splatlings is that their shots not only can go wide, but they can also overshoot or undershoot, which is something unique about them (although I did get me a lucky splat on a fleeing inkling once because a shot went too low right as he jumped off a ledge ;)). .96 Gals are actually fairly accurate, just not precise (even if they have a higher percentage for a shot to go wide it won't miss by much). Anyways, back to underestimated weapons, and with so much talk of Splatlings I might as well throw the Mini Splatlings in

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
No it isn't. If you try to play with heavy splatling as you play with shooters you do it wrong. But for CQC on Flounder and Blackbelly CJS is better because of position of gun and burst bombs. Only there. But I'm trying to overcome this too =)
Heavy Splatling is awesome versatile but if you don't know how to play offensive with it, you just waste it's potential.
I'm not saying the choice of which is better is clear, I'm saying the choice of which is better for what you want to do is clear. They play very differently and have different strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
I think the Fresh squiffer will get more people into the weapon, and I can't wait to see what the new Bamboozler has too considering the mark I and II have had great sets. I'm just waiting for the barry splattershot pro.

Reactions: JFL

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I think the Fresh squiffer will get more people into the weapon, and I can't wait to see what the new Bamboozler has too considering the mark I and II have had great sets. I'm just waiting for the barry splattershot pro.
i was excited for the new bamboozler, then i realized the mk I is F**ING AMAZING already -- it just took me learning splash walls. curious what it'll bring to the table, though, and i'd love to see more bamboozlers online so i know what to do against a good one (there're just too few as yet).

of course, the squiffer is the most exciting! the classic is alright (and the new is kind of a mess) but lacks options. the fresh squiffer gives us some real options and ways to "freshen up" (oho) our gameplay.

now if only squiffer players wouldn't drop out any time they're against/teamed up with another squiffer player...

buttfield

Full Squid
bamboozler gets a bit too much credit to really be called underrated
the very fast 2hko and oft-forgotten range mean it's more to do with learning how to use it

rapid blaster/rb pro get a lot more hate than they deserve, i think
it's very much a matter of using them at the edge of their range, much like how the standard blaster is most potent at mid-close range, and the luna blaster is only effective when applied directly to face

other weapons i'd call underrated (or at least underused) would probably include the scopeless chargers, sloshing machines, sploosh-o-matics, and the aforementioned nozzlenoses

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
other weapons i'd call underrated (or at least underused) would probably include the scopeless chargers, sloshing machines, sploosh-o-matics, and the aforementioned nozzlenoses
Splooshes aren't underrated anymore, at least they aren't underused. lt's a rather common weapon online, especially the Neo variant, and Japanese players love it.

l remember when l first posted on this forum the general opinion was that the Sploosh was the worst weapon in the game and useless in Ranked. Thankfully things have changed.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
For all the hype on the new weapons, I highly doubt the new wasabi splattershot will be used. I mean, I know every weapon is good, and I think this one is too, but is there any reason to use it over the standard splattershot or the tentetek besides just personal preference?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
For all the hype on the new weapons, I highly doubt the new wasabi splattershot will be used. I mean, I know every weapon is good, and I think this one is too, but is there any reason to use it over the standard splattershot or the tentetek besides just personal preference?
I like inkstrikes. That's as good a reason as any to use it :p

That aside, could be handy for splat zones, since a well-placed strike can always be a game changer. I see the viability of the weapon.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bamboozler 14 MK II. So many squids tend to ignore how quickly this weapon kills. Also, trying to rush a bamboozler when you are under the effects of a disruptor doesn't end well in most situations.

Also, for a weapon that is rarely mentioned, good Inkbrush players are stupidly disruptive and proportionally annoying. They are also quite rare, unfortunately.

buttfield

Full Squid
Splooshes aren't underrated anymore, at least they aren't underused. lt's a rather common weapon online, especially the Neo variant, and Japanese players love it.

l remember when l first posted on this forum the general opinion was that the Sploosh was the worst weapon in the game and useless in Ranked. Thankfully things have changed.
I've been seeing it a bit more after getting up to A-, yeah. I'm still dealing with Tentakek/E3K/96D on a daily basis, but Sploosh gets some use due to its low kill count and great Rainmaker DPS, and it's versatile enough to be taken over the Octobrush if you like.

I like inkstrikes. That's as good a reason as any to use it :p

That aside, could be handy for splat zones, since a well-placed strike can always be a game changer. I see the viability of the weapon.
The base weapon can hold its own in a fight, and the sub/special give it some trickier options. The Inkstrike can also be used to clear off the tower or push the Rainmaker out of position.
The three sets have their own specializations to an extent. Default is direct, mid-close combat, Tentakek is long-range/area denial, and Wasabi is indirect attacks.

Bamboozler 14 MK II. So many squids tend to ignore how quickly this weapon kills. Also, trying to rush a bamboozler when you are under the effects of a disruptor doesn't end well in most situations.

Also, for a weapon that is rarely mentioned, good Inkbrush players are stupidly disruptive and proportionally annoying. They are also quite rare, unfortunately.
Bamboozler gets passed up due to its unusual style. Since most charger users are E3KS meta worshippers, a weapon which doesn't adhere to the conventional "charge your shot fully and commit heavily to your shots" tactic is passed up as useless.
Inkbrush, on the other hand, tends to have its immense speed ignored in favor of the Octobrush's higher damage.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Inkbrush, on the other hand, tends to have its immense speed ignored in favor of the Octobrush's higher damage.
Guilty as charged. I am far too aggro to play the Inkbrush and end up killing myself over and over again because it takes too long to kill with said weapon. The Octobrush, on the other hand, allows me to fully commit to kills/pushes and just play aggro like I naturally do.

At the same time, I can play the Heavy Splatling just fine, a weapon that isn't exactly suited for "aggressive" players. Go figure.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
I have to admit I hardly ever see the tri-slosher nouveau in battle, I used it recently and I was very impressed it has the great spread of it vanilla variant, seekers for range attacks, and echolocator this weapon in my opinion serves as a great anti-charger option and I personally feel is underestimated a lot because of the support set of it's vanilla version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom