• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Underestimated Weapons

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
jet squelcher. not a lot of people seem to use it (well, for a shooter) but when i tried it out i had instant success (and the kit on the custom, omfg!!) i think most shooter players want to get a little more up close and personal and don't like hanging back as far as the jet squelcher is comfortable in. i bet just about any A rank or higher charger player (even bamboozlers and squiffers) would be able to pick up the jet squelcher really quickly and do quite well. -- not that people think the jet squelcher sucks or anything, they just don't tend to remember it.
Yeah everyone seems to agree that the Custom Jet Squelcher is an extremely powerful weapon, but nonetheless it isn't very popular. Fine by me! Makes me feel special. ^_^

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I think the Jet Squelcher fell out in favor of the Heavy and Hydra Splatlings which is understandable. They have the same or greater range tier, but with better ink spread, kill speed, and mobility while shooting. Heck the Heavy Splatling even has basically the same kits as the Jet Squelcher. You could say I'm a Custom Jet main and I recently played Splatlings for the first time. Surprise surprise I love em, especially the Heavy Deco! I think I still prefer burst bombs and not having to charge my shots, but I'll definitely be playing them more regularly from now on!

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the Jet Squelcher fell out in favor of the Heavy and Hydra Splatlings which is understandable. They have the same or greater range tier, but with better ink spread, kill speed, and mobility while shooting. Heck the Heavy Splatling even has basically the same kits as the Jet Squelcher. You could say I'm a Custom Jet main and I recently played Splatlings for the first time. Surprise surprise I love em, especially the Heavy Deco! I think I still prefer burst bombs and not having to charge my shots, but I'll definitely be playing them more regularly from now on!
Splatlings I'd say are more for turf coverage and suppressive fire, while the Jet Squelcher works better at straight up splatting enemies from afar thanks to it's insane accuracy. However, the Splatlings have slightly higher versatillity in close range combat as long as they have charge thanks to the high rate of fire combined with decent damage (with the Mini Splatlings being kings at close range). So if you can control the charging mechanic then they outperform the Jet Squelcher at nearly all situations aside of long-range combat and consistency. At the end of the day I like both and think they have higher potential than most players give them credit for

Also, the Heavy Splatling is slightly shorter-ranged than the Jet Squelcher (a couple of pixels, but nothing that can be noticed in practice; the bullet doesn't even lose damage within that small margin o_O)

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I actually strongly disagree with both of you, about different things. I don't think the Jet Squelcher and Heavy Splatling really compete beyond being long-range weapons.

The Heavy Splatling (both variants) are so, sooooo much better at covering turf than the CJS. It's not even close. Their firing patterns are also not as accurate as the CJS (thought the shots are faster), plus they need to be charged. The CJS is better at straight-up killing enemies, and consequently lends itself more to making offensive pushes when compared to either Heavy Splatling. Consequently, you use the Heavy Splatlings when you need turf coverage and suppression whereas you use the CJS for getting key kills and doing things like pressuring chargers. They are both strong defensive weapons, but they do it in such different ways.

I also don't think the Heavy Splatling is at all more versatile than the CJS in close-quarters combat. I mean, you have Burst Bombs and Kraken. What more do you need? Plus, you don't need to charge, so while the Splatling can kill much faster after a charge the CJS doesn't have to wait to fire. The Heavy Splatling Deco has Kraken too, but without having that charged it's in a really tough spot in close-quarters combat.

They're both strong weapons, but I think they have such differing strengths that the choice between them is pretty clear-cut.

Reactions: LAX

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I also don't think the Heavy Splatling is at all more versatile than the CJS in close-quarters combat. I mean, you have Burst Bombs and Kraken. What more do you need? Plus, you don't need to charge, so while the Splatling can kill much faster after a charge the CJS doesn't have to wait to fire. The Heavy Splatling Deco has Kraken too, but without having that charged it's in a really tough spot in close-quarters combat.
I did say "as long as they have charge". Most of my encounters in close range with the Splatlings end up in either me winning or a tie, whereas I rarely get any ties with the Jet Squelcher. The Custom does help in that area, but it was supposed to do so anyways, and you need enough ink to throw the two Burst Bombs, which I believe is more than a short Splatling burst's worth (correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't played in a while). It might just be me, but I rarely feel outgunned with a Heavy Splatling in comparison to a Jet Squelcher in almost any close range situation (not to bash on either one, I love both in the end)

Flamelord054

Inkster Jr.
My favorite underused is Definitely the Heroshot/splatershot, in my opinion burstbombs trump Suction bombs and I never really use the inkzooka

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
Octoshot replicas. Only see them once or twice a week but theyre always a nightmare to dealwith

maximumtherayray

Inkster Jr.
NNID
maximumtherayray
I know many people don't agree but I think the squiffer is so underestimated. I'm so hyped for that fresh squiffer! It looks so majestic! The sub weapons were the only thing that was holding that weapon back I think.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Another weapon that doesn't get any love is all the nozzlenoses. The L-3s have amazing fire rate and range, and the H-3s have amazing damage. I went from A+ to S on my alt account using the H-3 deco, great weapon.

binx

Pro Squid
NNID
binx33
I'll give the Neo Splash-O-Matic, which I believe is a fairly good weapon imo. Somehow, B ranks seem to love the main weapon as it shoots so fast, but higher ranks will prefer the Tentatek for range. Yet, an Inkzooka with Burst means you keep some flexibility, and it buids really fast. The only problem you have with this weapon is the range: if you're able to overcome this, then you'll have a lot of fun with this.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
The classic splat charger I also feel is a underestimated weapon (along with it hero charger variant), in a world with splatterscope and e-liters I see only a few of these unscoped variants around anymore, and since this was one of the first weapons I used in game it and due to my experience with squiffers I don't need the scope to make percise shots,especially with these cool techniques

First off if you see an enemy such as an e-liter or even a roller coming at you fire a shot behind them jump or swim behind them drop a bomb straight at your feet and swim away as they go to turn a finish you off they will get caught in the bomb radius and be splatted :cool:

So hammerhead bridge has at time bee considered a bad spot for chargers, mainly because of the huge wall blocking your shots (with "art" miiverse posts on them)

however if you have 1 bomb range up you can easily lob splat bombs and burst bombs from the ledge (behind the wall) over these wall (splat bomb are better since it force the the burst to move out from behind the cover and set up some really good shots), this works in a few other areas as well but this one sees the most benefit from this.

Anyways these are just a few tips for this underestimated weapon I feel can be very useful to those who dare to underestimate this amazing weapon

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
First off if you see an enemy such as an e-liter or even a roller coming at you fire a shot behind them jump or swim behind them drop a bomb straight at your feet and swim away as they go to turn a finish you off they will get caught in the bomb radius and be splatted :cool:
I'd suggest not charging head-on into a charger since the hitbox while swimming in ink is a lot taller than expected :confused:. That said, the getting behind them part works fairly well, specially with Splatlings ;)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Another weapon that doesn't get any love is all the nozzlenoses. The L-3s have amazing fire rate and range, and the H-3s have amazing damage. I went from A+ to S on my alt account using the H-3 deco, great weapon.
Comparing the L-3's to the Splattershots (one of the most popular weapons)
  • With practice and good rhythm, the L-3's can fire faster and cover turf faster than the Splattershots. Yes, it is a bit harder to use, but it can be more effective.
  • L-3's have a good bit more range than the Splattershots, which gives them a small advantage in combat.
  • I would say the loadouts are about equal: Disruptors and Killer Wail allow you to zone out your enemies and score splats, like the Tentatek's Suction Bombs and Inkzooka. I prefer the L-3's set because of how useful Disruptors can be, but it it your choice. The L-3 D and the Splattershot have similar sets too, the powerful Burst Bombs along with either Burst Bomb Rush for effective, long range damage over time or Kracken for invincibility and close quarters combat.
  • Yes, the L-3's take one more shot to splat, but the burst fire mechanics and faster fire rate means the extra shot is not too hard to get in, especially with either of it's subs. Plus, the Splattershots have to run Damage Up if they want to keep the three hit splat against Defence Up users, while the L-3's have a bit more freedom (though Damage Up can still work, load some on the L-3 D to power up Burst Bombs and bring your 4 shot splat to an occasional 3)
  • Since the L-3's shift from shooting to walking speed automatically, they can strafe a bit better that a Splattershot.
Seeing all this, I don't know why they are almost never used. They have nearly the versatility of the Splattershot, while having plenty of thier own little quirks and features.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Comparing the L-3's to the Splattershots (one of the most popular weapons)
  • With practice and good rhythm, the L-3's can fire faster and cover turf faster than the Splattershots. Yes, it is a bit harder to use, but it can be more effective.
  • L-3's have a good bit more range than the Splattershots, which gives them a small advantage in combat.
  • I would say the loadouts are about equal: Disruptors and Killer Wail allow you to zone out your enemies and score splats, like the Tentatek's Suction Bombs and Inkzooka. I prefer the L-3's set because of how useful Disruptors can be, but it it your choice. The L-3 D and the Splattershot have similar sets too, the powerful Burst Bombs along with either Burst Bomb Rush for effective, long range damage over time or Kracken for invincibility and close quarters combat.
  • Yes, the L-3's take one more shot to splat, but the burst fire mechanics and faster fire rate means the extra shot is not too hard to get in, especially with either of it's subs. Plus, the Splattershots have to run Damage Up if they want to keep the three hit splat against Defence Up users, while the L-3's have a bit more freedom (though Damage Up can still work, load some on the L-3 D to power up Burst Bombs and bring your 4 shot splat to an occasional 3)
  • Since the L-3's shift from shooting to walking speed automatically, they can strafe a bit better that a Splattershot.
Seeing all this, I don't know why they are almost never used. They have nearly the versatility of the Splattershot, while having plenty of thier own little quirks and features.
The L-3 actually fires as fast as an Aerospray within the burst, while the H-3 fires as fast as a Jr. or a Splash-o-matic (and both splat faster than the weapons I compared them with). If they weren't burst fire weapons they would pretty much rule all of Splatoon :scared:

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
If they weren't burst fire weapons they would pretty much rule all of Splatoon
But with all the S ranks you more would figure it out wouldn't they? There are lots of S's that spam Tentatek but nobody uses the nozzelnoses. I have never seen a nozzelnose in S rank, which is actually surprising. I change weapons a lot and often see people with less popular weapons that do well, but not once have I seen a nozzelnose in S. It really isn't hard to use either imo.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
But with all the S ranks you more would figure it out wouldn't they? There are lots of S's that spam Tentatek but nobody uses the nozzelnoses. I have never seen a nozzelnose in S rank, which is actually surprising. I change weapons a lot and often see people with less popular weapons that do well, but not once have I seen a nozzelnose in S. It really isn't hard to use either imo.
From what I've seen in these forums it's the burst fire mechanic that turns most people away from them. Mathematically speaking an H-3 should almost always win against a Tentatek since it splast faster and from farther away with neglible (or non-existant?) shot spread, and to top it off the H-3 doesn't really care about Defense Ups either :confused:

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
From what I've seen in these forums it's the burst fire mechanic that turns most people away from them
I see this about Nozzlenoses, and brushes, since people say it hurts their hands. I think the unused aspect of the nozzlenoses is more to do with the fact that you have to be more accurate than a charger, since you need all, or almost all shots to line up. The H-3 especially suffers, since if only 2 shots hit, you have to wait quite a while before you can fire again, and most weapons kill you in that interval. I think the L-3's are better, and more used, but I agree they have a niche use, and are generally pretty good if you are on aim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom