• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Underestimated Weapons

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Tri-Slosher is fairly underrated imo, the set just works so well and the Disruptors compliments the Tri-Slosher's short TTK immensely. The L-3 D and Octobrush are also really good weapons, where the Octobrush benefits from the equivalent to 2 Damage Up mains since sometimes you can get kills from two swings of the brush, and the L-3 D benefits from Run Speed Up as its strafing and supportive play is a godsend. The Custom Hydra is also a weapon I can vouch for, and the normal Hydra as well. Most people will simply pick the Heavy Decho instead of the Hydra because they both do similar things but the kit of Sprinkler and Bubble is very potent.

However, I have to argue against some points in this thread. I wouldn't say the H-3 or H-3 D are good weapons, as at higher levels of play you will be missing shots because of the slow fire rate of the weapon and the greater ability to move and dodge of other players. The Tri-Slosher Nouveau is also a really bad kit since Seekers aren't a viable long-range pressuring tool, and while Echo is nice the Tri-Slosher Nouveau is absolutely outclassed by other weapons that can use it like the E-Liter, Dynamo, and even the .96.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
I wouldn't really called a weapon underrated when it's outclassed by its counterpart, or when it's outclassed by its neighboring weapon (ex. .52 & .96, not saying one is clearly better than the other, just saying that they're neighboring weapons).

maxie

Full Squid
tri slosher and hydra splatling deco are two of my mains and i feel like theyre really underrated? but it could just be me, i just never really see them around too often (tri slosher noveau appears occasionally but :/)

honestly i hear people talk about how bad the hydra is all the time and it just has me like ??????????

buttfield

Full Squid
Hydra's issue is that you'd almost always be better off with the Heavy. Hydra's only benefit (its range) is barely above the Heavy, while its charge speed and mobility are awful by comparison.

Hydra: 87 range, 10 charge rate, 20 mobility
Heavy: 78 range, 40 charge rate, 50 mobility

Tri-Slosher isn't really underrated or weak, though. It has a consistent 2HKO, the ability to fight indirectly, and a sub/special pairing that works well with its strengths and weaknesses.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
NNID
chaser1234
Hydra's issue is that you'd almost always be better off with the Heavy. Hydra's only benefit (its range) is barely above the Heavy, while its charge speed and mobility are awful by comparison.

Tri-Slosher isn't really underrated or weak, though. It has a consistent 2HKO, the ability to fight indirectly, and a sub/special pairing that works well with its strengths and weaknesses.
But is there a reason to use the tri-slosher over the regular slosher, more specifically the slosher deco. I mean I'm pretty sure a splash wall is better than a disruptor, and you have a Kraken instead of a bubble, two things that both give you super armor. And besides it's not like the range is any better (it's shorter), and both versions are a two hit kill. These reasons, specifically the range, is why I also think that the sloshing machine is worse than the regular slosher, even with a bomb rush.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
But is there a reason to use the tri-slosher over the regular slosher, more specifically the slosher deco. I mean I'm pretty sure a splash wall is better than a disruptor, and you have a Kraken instead of a bubble, two things that both give you super armor. And besides it's not like the range is any better (it's shorter), and both versions are a two hit kill. These reasons, specifically the range, is why I also think that the sloshing machine is worse than the regular slosher, even with a bomb rush.
The tri-slosher kills faster than the slosher. And with your line of reasoning, there's no reason to use splattershot, n-zap and .52 gal since the splatter pro, dual squelcher and .96 kills in the same amount of shots respectively and have more range, but the difference being the shorter ranged variants kills faster.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
NNID
chaser1234
The tri-slosher kills faster than the slosher. And with your line of reasoning, there's no reason to use splattershot, n-zap and .52 gal since the splatter pro, dual squelcher and .96 kills in the same amount of shots respectively and have more range, but the difference being the shorter ranged variants kills faster.
But those weapons shoot slower compared to the weapons you just said compared to how slow the slosher shoots in comparison to the tri-slosher and the difference in kill power is pretty big.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I find a disruptor much more useful than a splash wall, although it kind of depends on the weapon. The Bamboozler 14 MK I with the Splash Wall is worthless to me, but the Bamboozler 14 MK II with the Disruptor is SO good and fun.

Nways, I want to say the Heavy Splatling/Deco are underrated weapons given how little people talk about them and how rarely I find fellow Heavy Splatling players in the game.

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787

On paper, yes the Hydra is straight out inferior to the Heavy, but they perform fundamentally different roles. The Hydra is a defensive weapon, while the Heavy is a support weapon. Because of this the Hydra is a suppression weapon, for example playing on Saltspray Zones, with the Custom Hydra, I put a sprinkler on the sandbag before the back ramp, and then just charged up and completely held back the enemy team that continued jumping in the back area for a good 15-20 seconds. I couldn't have done this in the same way with the Heavy, although the vanilla has a splash wall. The main difference is the time you can fire with the Hydra after charging. The Hydra takes 136 frames to charge, and fires for 220 frames, that means you can fire for almost 4 seconds! This is very important, and I would argue that the range is significant, since 87 outranges the splat chargers, and is only 1 range less than splatterscopes. This allows you to combat those chargers much more efficiently than the Heavy could. I do think that in general the Hydra has a harder time doing many things, but can be a very effective weapon, and is probably the best suppression weapon outside of chargers in the game.

Still, I wish the Hydra would get a range buff.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
But those weapons shoot slower compared to the weapons you just said compared to how slow the slosher shoots in comparison to the tri-slosher and the difference in kill power is pretty big.
One thing i forgot to mention is that there's a big differemce between splash wall and bubbler. They both give immunity, but in different ways. the bubbler can be popped at any time when you have special charged up whereas the splash wall needs to be thrown and doesn't automatically immediately give you defense. Another key difference is that the bubbler gives you immunity al around whereas the splashwall only gives immunity on one side. Also their ink spread is different. Slosher shoots in a line whilst the tri-slosher has a wider ink spread. This wide spread comes in handy at close range, and also because the tri slosher is faster. And now disruptor. Disruptor is really good because you can essentially get free ko's if you bubble and the opponent is trying to escape. You bubble, disrupt, easy kill (and this is especially useful with special charge up). It's also very handy for sneaky kills. I'm not saying that the one is better than the other, but the two serve different roles that puts them apart. Longer range doesn't automatically mean better.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
NNID
chaser1234
One thing i forgot to mention is that there's a big differemce between splash wall and bubbler. They both give immunity, but in different ways. the bubbler can be popped at any time when you have special charged up whereas the splash wall needs to be thrown and doesn't automatically immediately give you defense. Another key difference is that the bubbler gives you immunity al around whereas the splashwall only gives immunity on one side. Also their ink spread is different. Slosher shoots in a line whilst the tri-slosher has a wider ink spread. This wide spread comes in handy at close range, and also because the tri slosher is faster. And now disruptor. Disruptor is really good because you can essentially get free ko's if you bubble and the opponent is trying to escape. You bubble, disrupt, easy kill (and this is especially useful with special charge up). It's also very handy for sneaky kills. I'm not saying that the one is better than the other, but the two serve different roles that puts them apart. Longer range doesn't automatically mean better.
Ok yeah I guess, but I can usually get away by super jumping if an opponent has me disrupted, and I don't believe supernumping is any slower if I'm super jumping, but I still don't see how the sloshing machine is better than the slosher, unless you want to say it's because of the bomb rush.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Ok yeah I guess, but I can usually get away by super jumping if an opponent has me disrupted, and I don't believe supernumping is any slower if I'm super jumping, but I still don't see how the sloshing machine is better than the slosher, unless you want to say it's because of the bomb rush.
never said that. i'm talking about the tri-slosher and slosher. never mentioned anything about sloshing machine.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Sloshing machine is good because with the sloshing machine angle allows you to quickly and easily adjust your aim over splash wall as well as over wall and ledges normally only reachable by bombs and the Neo version allows your team to detect enemies and gives you the inkzooka
Of course it ink coverage is lower but it just means you have to make sure to make accurate shots or hit from a hard to reach angles to overwhelm the eneny

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nways, I want to say the Heavy Splatling/Deco are underrated weapons given how little people talk about them and how rarely I find fellow Heavy Splatling players in the game.
I wouldn't really call them underrated, just underused. At least my enemies don't consider it underrated after attempting to fight head-on with mine and getting a faceful of ink :rolleyes:

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I wouldn't really call them underrated, just underused. At least my enemies don't consider it underrated after attempting to fight head-on with mine and getting a faceful of ink :rolleyes:
Splatlings represent! :D

Really though, I don't think the Deco is underused or underrepresented that much, but the vanilla definitely is. I would say that the vanilla mini is, and both Hydras are too. I personally pretty much only play Zink Mini, Heavy Deco, and Custom Hydra, but that's because I am insecure, and like stopping the rainmaker and tower with ease, I need that invincibility!

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
Just like Leronne said, the Slosher is not always better than the Tri-Slosher. The Tri-Slosher is clearly a more mobile weapon as you can get in someone's face and with a three way spread of ink, its like a Sploosh in terms of how easy it is to hit your target as opposed to a straight line of ink from the Slosher. Also, the kit is up to preference as the Disruptor helps cripple and gives you a chance to charge in. Again, like Leronne said, the Bubbler is a different kind of invincibility, one that is far more superior to the Splash Wall, judging how the Bubbler is a special while the Splash Wall is a sub weapon. The Tri-Slosher also beats the Slosher in speed in exchange for range but both get the reliable 2HKO regardless of direct hits or not. The Tri-Slosher is more close combat suited while also being offensive in the way that it can disrupt enemies and charge while the Slosher is more of a defensive option compared to the Tri-Slosher, as it has range and it can play more safe, throwing Splash Walls and shooting Inkstrikes or turning into a Kraken or burst bombing enemies when approached.

Even though I know its your opinion as you main a Slosher Deco while I might be biased because I main the Tri-Slosher, all weapons that Nintendo have made for Splatoon are better than another in one way and worse in another. So basically, all weapons are equal in how well they can be used while the gap might be due to the lack of players excelling with the weapon due to a higher learning curve.

However, some underestimated weapons that I personally think have great potential are (again :p) Rapid Blasters, Custom Splattershot Jrs, and the .96 Gal.

The Rapid Blasters have about the same speed as the Luna Blasters, contain a great range and has a decent blast box when aimed correctly. Stacking some damage up is key but with proper positioning, the Rapid Blasters could really tear up the Tower Control meta. The same goes for the Rapid Blaster Pros too as they have a far superior range, and a 2-3 shot kill when positioned right. The Deco excels against his brother as in my opinion, the Disruptors and the Killer Wail help to change the tide of the game by breaking up clusters and isolating players by disrupting them.

I've seen many Splattershot Jrs, but I haven't seen many of the Custom variants. The Splattershot Jr is an all around great weapon with bombs but maybe its my love for Disruptors but I feel that the cripple will benefit the Splattershots even more as they are close ranged shooters. Also, another Echolocator is always good as with the newest update, more players have been changing up their abilities, swapping out Cold-Blooded.

The .96 Gal is severly overshadowed by its meta changing brother, the Deco. The Deco is one of the most used weapons along with the Tentatek, Octoshot, and the .52 Gal. However, if you ditch the reliance on the Splash Walls and invincible Krakens for one moment, the vanilla variant is a beauty. Along with its already great turf coverage, the Sprinklers help make the battle field more your team friendly and is even great as bait against players. Also, they pop the Rainmaker bubble fairly easily when you need a teammate to guard it the most ;).
The Echolocator once again is a very strong option as even with Cold-Blooded players, it allows your team to be on the guard and know what to expect. I have played the .96 Gal in the S ranked lobbies and ever since I picked it up, I have started to see great success.

Last edited:

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
NNID
chaser1234
Just like Leronne said, the Slosher is not always better than the Tri-Slosher. The Tri-Slosher is clearly a more mobile weapon as you can get in someone's face and with a three way spread of ink, its like a Sploosh in terms of how easy it is to hit your target as opposed to a straight line of ink from the Slosher. Also, the kit is up to preference as the Disruptor helps cripple and gives you a chance to charge in. Again, like Leronne said, the Bubbler is a different kind of invincibility, one that is far more superior to the Splash Wall, judging how the Bubbler is a special while the Splash Wall is a sub weapon. The Tri-Slosher also beats the Slosher in speed in exchange for range but both get the reliable 2HKO regardless of direct hits or not. The Tri-Slosher is more close combat suited while also being offensive in the way that it can disrupt enemies and charge while the Slosher is more of a defensive option compared to the Tri-Slosher, as it has range and it can play more safe, throwing Splash Walls and shooting Inkstrikes or turning into a Kraken or burst bombing enemies when approached.

Even though I know its your opinion as you main a Slosher Deco while I might be biased because I main the Tri-Slosher, all weapons that Nintendo have made for Splatoon are better than another in one way and worse in another. So basically, all weapons are equal in how well they can be used while the gap might be due to the lack of players excelling with the weapon due to a higher learning curve.

However, some underestimated weapons that I personally think have great potential are (again :p) Rapid Blasters, Custom Splattershot Jrs, and the .96 Gal.

The Rapid Blasters have about the same speed as the Luna Blasters, contain a great range and has a decent blast box when aimed correctly. Stacking some damage up is key but with proper positioning, the Rapid Blasters could really tear up the Tower Control meta. The same goes for the Rapid Blaster Pros too as they have a far superior range, and a 2-3 shot kill when positioned right. The Deco excels against his brother as in my opinion, the Disruptors and the Killer Wail help to change the tide of the game by breaking up clusters and isolating players by disrupting them.

I've seen many Splattershot Jrs, but I haven't seen many of the Custom variants. The Splattershot Jr is an all around great weapon with bombs but maybe its my love for Disruptors but I feel that the cripple will benefit the Splattershots even more as they are close ranged shooters. Also, another Echolocator is always good as with the newest update, more players have been changing up their abilities, swapping out Cold-Blooded.

The .96 Gal is severly overshadowed by its meta changing brother, the Deco. The Deco is one of the most used weapons along with the Tentatek, Octoshot, and the .52 Gal. However, if you ditch the reliance on the Splash Walls and invincible Krakens for one moment, the vanilla variant is a beauty. Along with its already great turf coverage, the Sprinklers help make the battle field more your team friendly and is even great as bait against players. Also, they pop the Rainmaker bubble fairly easily when you need a teammate to guard it the most ;).
The Echolocator once again is a very strong option as even with Cold-Blooded players, it allows your team to be on the guard and know what to expect. I have played the .96 Gal in the S ranked lobbies and ever since I picked it up, I have started to see great success.
I don't exactly main any slosher, but I have used them to an extent in both turf war and S ranked matches, and they are considerably high on the list of weapon that I have used, and I have over 65,000 inked turf with the tri-slosher and the slosher deco.

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Super Jumping away still removes a squid from the fight though, it may not be any slower but it gives you a player advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom