• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Update news coming tomorrow, November 21!!!!

darktenpura

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1816-5244-1416
I loooooove the new band! Such rock, much badasssssss! Wowie!
Also new ranked mode looks fun
Squeezer!
New hairstyles are fresh, too!
Now I'm pretty sure, my body is regigigas.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
Time for a summary, including the additional info from here.

-Two new hairstyles for each gender! The pigtails one in the thumbnail ties back into a ponytail when wearing certain hats~
-140 new pieces of gear!

-Two brand new maps! MakoMart and Shellendorf Institute
-Two returning maps! Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall
-New Salmon Run map, Salmonid Smokeyard!
-New music by a new band called the Bottom Feeders!

-The Squeezer!
-Smol Brella! It can fire while blocking run for your lives

-
The amiibo snapshot feature has been expanded, allowing you to pose for snapshots at certain locations in battle stages!
-You can now change gear without leaving a Regular, Ranked, or Splatfest (Solo) lobby. Our prayers have been answered.
-The level cap has been raised to 99, and if you actually make it up there, you can prestige to start over at Level ★1 and continue leveling up from there.

-New Ranked mode, Clam Blitz!
In Clam Blitz, competing Inklings are tasked with collecting clams scattered around the stage. After one is picked up, the clam weirdly follows you. Your objective is to throw the clam into the basket near your opponent’s base. The first team to score 100 points wins! The baskets are protected by a barrier, which must be destroyed first. After collecting 10 clams, you’ll earn a Power Clam. These super-powered clams are the key to breaking the barrier, so strategy will definitely be involved in deciding which clams are used to destroy the barrier and which are used to earn points. Not to mention the extra-satisfying opportunity to steal your opponents’ clams by splatting them.

H Y P E

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I don't want to sound like I'm boasting or anything but this update news fell in line with what I was expecting. 2 new maps releasing the week of the announcement (Salmon Run and regular multiplayer), new gear and the new Ranked mode being teased (which we shouldn't have known about anyway but there it is. I wasn't entirely expecting the new music or level cap, but I suppose it was to be expected. This is exactly why I thought the November update was coming so late, to give them enough time to prep everything for 2.0.0 (it probably will be that version, the patch notes will tell us more). Definitely a huge update, and hopefully if the balancing is right and the maps come fairly close together I'll keep playing for a good while (then again with Christmas coming up I'll probably have Super Mario Odyssey). The Level cap is the thing I care least about, unless we have incentives like Splatoon 1 with additional gear I don't see the benefits to increasing it to 99 and having the "prestige" thing, because the level is always guaranteed to go upwards. Hopefully the new map doesn't suck because it looks really cool.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
[QUOTE="ThatBerkawitzSquid, post: 246199, member:

-The Squeezer!

-You can now change gear without leaving a Regular, Ranked, or Splatfest (Solo) lobby. Our prayers have been answered.
-The level cap has been raised to 99, and if you actually make it up there, you can prestige to start over at Level ★1 and continue leveling up

H Y P E[/QUOTE]

So the squeezer I have been excited about this ever since I heard about it, a rapid fire l-3 I can't wait until I get my hands on it
A brella that can shield while firing are you referrng
to the laggy brella player on that is always on enemy team

Gear swap sounds really promising being able to change your style on the fly, I just hope you can see your allies weapon choice so you can make a good decision....or meme the enemies away with 4 hydra splatlings

Lastly I am curious to see about the level cap, will there be level up rewards like it's predecessor

Overall I am this is a great change, all I need is octolings, and amiibo gear from botw/smash bros amiibo...
But again for now Nintendo got it right so I am pleased right now

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
-The Squeezer!
Don't forget the Hydra Splatling and the new Dualies, both of which are visible at about 0:20 or so in the update video, being wielded by members of the pink team. Though in fairness, we know nothing about the new Dualies at this point, unless info's gone up somewhere that I haven't seen.

Also, I think the roller user on the light-blue team at about 0:22 might be using a roller that's not currently in the game. I might be wrong - I hardly use rollers, so I'm no expert on them - but the handle on it doesn't look like the handles on any of the game's current rollers to me.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I couldn't comprehend it all because I only saw an imaginary weapon that's just an urban legend. =p

One thing that always interests me about Nintendo is how they can always dump a crap ton of info in a small amount of time without confusing you. It's an interesting style.

Berry

Senior Squid
NNID
BlazzBerry
Plz let boys get a mohawk
WISH GRANTED.

The Level cap is the thing I care least about, unless we have incentives like Splatoon 1 with additional gear I don't see the benefits to increasing it to 99 and having the "prestige" thing, because the level is always guaranteed to go upwards. Hopefully the new map doesn't suck because it looks really cool.
...you do realize thats 49 sea snails for free right? On top of new gear that will need slots? Idk about you but I'm hyped for the level cap increase alongside potential setups on the mobile app.

ALSO WE CAN CHANGE OUR GEAR IN SOLO Q WITHOUT NEEDING TO LEAVE THE LOBBY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*cough* sorry about that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

I'm still hoping in a newer major update we get afro's, but still pretty cool thing they're doing here regardless.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Woah, color me impressed. Gear swapping almost makes it sound like you can only change your clothes in the lobby and not your weapon, but I'm assuming you can.

Arowana returning is very good news, and a f'n bottle as a weapon is just too cool. They also keep making stupid male Inkling haircuts, man.

Can't wait for all this stuff to roll out.

Foxtrot

Full Squid
This hairstyles honestly arent my taste in the slightest, they mostly just look hella off, specifically the bowl cut ones. Not really gonna complain about that though, considering we got literally so much we have been asking for.

New music, new ranked mode? Ive been won over already. Literally everything else has me so happy though. ALSO GOD BLESS BEING ABLE TO CHOOSE GEAR IN SOLO QUE. How all we need is a ability to exit any game mode if you're still searching instead of being stuck in matchmaking hell forever.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
More tiny maps that favor close range weapons. Everything else looks cool—I love the new music and hairstyles—but the ****ty maps continue to bog down the experience. There is not enough variety. All of the maps are small, close quarters combat arenas with the occasional stack of polygonal shapes for you to jump around on. Turf War is basically unplayable because the winning team is always decided in the last 20 seconds. At this point I'd rather play Splatoon 1 with updated visuals and damage up and defense up removed.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
.-. GDI Splatoon! I have other games to play! I haven't even started Ultra Moon yet....

The new things all look really nice. The ability to change equipment in lobbies is really nice. Ordering off of players from your app is also really cool if you forget to order off of a player, and you play another battle, never seeing that player again.

I wanted to get a good look at how much range the Glooga Dualies and Squeezer has, but it was difficult to tell from the perspective they showed. Admittedly I'm very excited for both weapons. Squeezer isn't as slow as I hoped, but pistol play is still great.

The new ranked mode will be something for me to learn how to deal with. It'll be funny with me and everyone else (even skilled players) fumbling around trying to figure out what to do. It's just with a 4th ranked mode, the dream of getting rank A in Splat Zones and rank S in the other two, then chuckling like an idiot at my app will be crushed.

I would switch to the hairstyle with longer bangs if it wasn't for the cut tentacles at the end. New hair is nice, but default is still perfect. My thinking last night gave me the idea of changing ears. I want Callie ears that droop when my character is sad.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Okay, to put the obvious stuff ahead of everything else so we get done with this as quickly as possible: I hate hate hate the new hairstyles they gave the bois. The Mohawk makes no sense in how it's supposed to work with everything we know about inkling hairstyle physiology (lol), and the other haircut is just plain terrible. Color me a confused and sad. I was really hoping they'd fix the lack of a male "long hair down" hairstyle similar to

I've been really hoping for such a hair option ever since the announcement of new hairstyles in Sploon 2 and was pretty bummed when this wasn't the case the first time around, only to be left even more disappointed in this update. Blagh. Not entirely a fan of the girl's styles too as they look oh so very painful, as if they mutilated their extremeties there but at least they look decent. Blagh again I say, blagh! :v

Now to the good news: I'm very happy about new gear coming out and already spied a handful of pieces in the video I'll hunt down to inkoroporate them in my gear loudout. Hyped for what else will make its return and come into the game. Took them long enuff!

Other things I'm particularly psyched about: New music. The new punk rock band already sounds amazing! Finally I won't be dreading the fact that I can't mute the music in order to bring something fresh to the mix! What I loved so much when playing Sploon 1 back when I started was the very diverse music that played and was pretty bummed that the standard battle music mix sounded so very similar that I was rendered unable to even disginguish between the songs. I can play Turf/ranked for hours and feel it's the same song over and over again, halp! So, thank you Ninty for bringing more genres back to the mix. Can't wait to hear it in the actual gameplay!

Now for the obvious things:
Raised levelcap: As already stated in another thread, I'm very happy they're finally raising the levelcap. Nothing is more dreadful for excessive players like me than to max out your level and be done with it - even if the level by itself doesn't mean much, since there's still ranks (ha...) and league leaderboards to worry about. Stil, it returns value to EXP tickets and gives us the incentive to keep leveling further, so that's a good thing.

New stages: Always a welcome addition though it seems to yet again favor close combat a lot, so I may end up hating them - still, they're completely new and I haven't tested them yet, so we'll see! A new SR map is always welcome on the other hand since we only have three of those so far and they grow stale after a while of long grinding.

Returning stages: Walleye is back! Everybody clap your hands and squid flop like you've never squid flopped before! Arowana on the other hand... oh sheesh, I can already foresee so many sniper duels again and Stingray gaining meta status there. :D We'll see, we'll see.

New weapons: IS DAT A HYDRA? Nevermind the new dualies, the light Brella or the Squeezer. I SAW THE HYDRA. .... kidding. Curious about how those'll play out especially since the light Brella seems to be able to shoot while guarding which makes me feel a bit eeeh about it but I'm willing to give Ninty the benefit of the doubt since Tenta Brella looked decent and ended up being trashy, lolz.

New ranked mode: I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it yet, but I'm all the happier that they're bringing a new ranked mode with the second big update. As an S1 veteran, I felt a bit disappointed that it's just our classic modes for ranked since it didn't add much to the new feel, other than the Rainmaker feeling more decent overall, lol. I'll have to see how Clam Blitz works out in practice, as it seems to require so much more coordinated teamwork than the other three modes and we know how well that works out in solo queue! It still looks like lots of fun to dabble in, so I'll definitely check it out and see how far I'll go before reaching a final verdict there.

And last, but not least: Changing gear in a lobby: Our prayers have been answered! Now nothing is stopping me from using confusion-fu on my opponents switching out weapons after each and every round! E-Liter switched to Bamboozler! Haven't seen that one coming, ha! ....ha. orz

Overall verdict: Hype hype hype.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom