• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Update news coming tomorrow, November 21!!!!

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Okay, to put the obvious stuff ahead of everything else so we get done with this as quickly as possible: I hate hate hate the new hairstyles they gave the bois. The Mohawk makes no sense in how it's supposed to work with everything we know about inkling hairstyle physiology (lol), and the other haircut is just plain terrible. Color me a confused and sad. I was really hoping they'd fix the lack of a male "long hair down" hairstyle similar to
Yeah a "long hair" style for males would be great. Shame they don't even have anything close.

Not entirely a fan of the girl's styles too as they look oh so very painful, as if they mutilated their extremeties there but at least they look decent. Blagh again I say, blagh! :v

Oh?

I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

I thought of something about the teaser. They felt the need to show off the E-Liter for a bit. This could possibly hint at a buff for it. The E-Liter was shooting someone at close range, so maybe a charge speed buff?

This could be baseless speculation, but it's something to hope for.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Yeah a "long hair" style for males would be great. Shame they don't even have anything close.
I think people are forgetting Splatoon is a game targeted at kids, and most younger boys are probably just gonna think a long hairstyle is weird, that's why we're getting all these hipster haircuts for males. It's a shame though, I'd love to become a glam rock squid.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」

Oh?

I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

I thought of something about the teaser. They felt the need to show off the E-Liter for a bit. This could possibly hint at a buff for it. The E-Liter was shooting someone at close range, so maybe a charge speed buff?

This could be baseless speculation, but it's something to hope for.
Lolz. Yeah, I never really complained about them cutting their bangs or anything, but I assumed the tentacles are basically what turns into their limbs afterwards. The majority of the fanbase did, and it checks out if you compare the number of 'tacles on the head (if visible, eff you buzzcut 8D) to the squid form. Six for the head, while the arms and legs add up to 10. Now with that in mind, every hairstyle so far has fit the rule, and there never was any unneccessary extra in order to create a hairstyle.

With the concept art shown a couple posts above I feel like they really, really relied too heavily on the "sashimi" part of their hair, lol. So instead of being creative with the tentacles, let's just slap a layer of blah around the head et voilà, hairstyle. :v and to come back to the 'tacles - the reason I'm disturbed by those being "cut off" is that it's not the part of the "sashimi hair" which is not contributing to the limb number, but their actual limbs sorta? It just looks painful cutting off a quarter of what is basically a limb for a hairstyle. But that's just me and probably a couple more. We care about in-universe logic more than we should. Artists, storywriters and whatnot.

I think people are forgetting Splatoon is a game targeted at kids, and most younger boys are probably just gonna think a long hairstyle is weird, that's why we're getting all these hipster haircuts for males. It's a shame though, I'd love to become a glam rock squid.
With how ...ahem, diverse and hipster and whatnot the squids already look like with the fashion choices given, a longer hairstyle wouldn't have really added much to weirdness points, frankly. And what's weird about long hairstyles...? It's not like the original ponytail from the first game is the epitome of short. All they had to do is remove the hair tie, man. ;-;

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
[/QUOTE]With how ...ahem, diverse and hipster and whatnot the squids already look like with the fashion choices given, a longer hairstyle wouldn't have really added much to weirdness points, frankly. And what's weird about long hairstyles...? It's not like the original ponytail from the first game is the epitome of short. All they had to do is remove the hair tie, man. ;-;[/QUOTE]
Well, I guess it's just not everyday I go outside and see a bunch of guys with hair that goes down to their hands. I also don't really care about how this whole tentacle thing works. I mean, it's not like the inkling species actually exists and we're trying to decode it or something.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Well, I guess it's just not everyday I go outside and see a bunch of guys with hair that goes down to their hands. I also don't really care about how this whole tentacle thing works. I mean, it's not like the inkling species actually exists and we're trying to decode it or something.
Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I see plenty of long haired d00ds where I am and I'm pretty sure I don't live in Akihabara or something, it's just that longer hairstyles are becoming more common now. You're still around your younger peers so I can't fault you for not seeing it as often. What I loved about the concept of squid kids is essentially that they already went on from the classic "boi = short hair" stereotype to giving him that ponytail right off the bat. And come Splatoon 2, they gave your part of the fanbase what they wanted, i.e. short hairstyles. But keep in mind that squid kids ain't human, despite looking similar. They don't have to follow what is normal around where I or you live. In fact, I would've very much preferred if they just made every option unisex to alleviate the squissues altogether. Who knows, maybe they'll patch that in a future update? Maybe it'll be a thing in Splatoon 3? I personally haven't given up hope yet. There's too much shiny being released for me to get hung up on that, emotionally. :D

And if you don't care about inkling biology that's fine, really. It's just a minor part of the fanbase (myself) really caring about that kind of stuff because we're artists and world builders. We explore that kind of stuff in our free time in addition to enjoying the game for the game itself. May not be your cup of tea, but that's no reason to discredit other people's opinions like that.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
And if you don't care about inkling biology that's fine, really. It's just a minor part of the fanbase (myself) really caring about that kind of stuff because we're artists and world builders. We explore that kind of stuff in our free time in addition to enjoying the game for the game itself. May not be your cup of tea, but that's no reason to discredit other people's opinions like that.
Yeah, sorry. I do have to agree with you on how inklings are basically shaving off their limbs, I have no clue how that works. They don't seem to be in any pain though, so I guess it's fine.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Also, there's apparently another band that's getting added in called "Ink Theory". There's not much information about them at the moment, but the way they're described makes them sound like the Splatoon version of Celldweller.

Boring grocery store? The hell grocery store do you go to?
The grocery store where the carts are unicorns and the cashiers are leprechauns.

Also, there's apparently another band that's getting added in called "Ink Theory". There's not much information about them at the moment, but the way they're described makes them sound like the Splatoon version of Celldweller.
Well, I was way off wasn't I?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
With how ...ahem, diverse and hipster and whatnot the squids already look like with the fashion choices given, a longer hairstyle wouldn't have really added much to weirdness points, frankly. And what's weird about long hairstyles...? It's not like the original ponytail from the first game is the epitome of short. All they had to do is remove the hair tie, man. ;-;
I get the Squids gender confused all the time when I play the game, one of the guys hair style looks like "girl hair" when they put a hat on. So sense I'm already confused, I would not mind a long hair style for the boys or a short hair styles for the girls. I actually think it would be cool. My bf has long hair and I think he'd like it if there was a long hair style for the guy squids.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I think Ink Theory is... interesting. I don’t dislike them, but I might have to come around to them.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Like I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I see plenty of long haired d00ds where I am and I'm pretty sure I don't live in Akihabara or something, it's just that longer hairstyles are becoming more common now. You're still around your younger peers so I can't fault you for not seeing it as often. What I loved about the concept of squid kids is essentially that they already went on from the classic "boi = short hair" stereotype to giving him that ponytail right off the bat. And come Splatoon 2, they gave your part of the fanbase what they wanted, i.e. short hairstyles. But keep in mind that squid kids ain't human, despite looking similar. They don't have to follow what is normal around where I or you live. In fact, I would've very much preferred if they just made every option unisex to alleviate the squissues altogether. Who knows, maybe they'll patch that in a future update? Maybe it'll be a thing in Splatoon 3? I personally haven't given up hope yet. There's too much shiny being released for me to get hung up on that, emotionally. :D

I like the way you think. :3

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I think Ink Theory is... interesting. I don’t dislike them, but I might have to come around to them.
What is Squid Theory? did I miss something?

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
What is Squid Theory? did I miss something?
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/167782541742/dont-miss-ink-theorys-hit-singles-broken-coral

Hey everyone, Squiggly here.
Firstly, if you celebrate it, happy Thanksgiving! Secondly, with the first part of the new update releasing tomorrow and all the hubbub on Squidboards lately, I thought it would be a good time for me to share what my final thoughts on everything we're getting are. So here we go...
NEW LEVELING SYSTEM:
The new leveling system sounds like it would work fairly well, and I like how it's not like Overwatch where once you reach the level cap you have to get a star and keep leveling. It's completely optional in Splatoon, which is cool.
CHANGING GEAR IN THE LOBBY:
Than you Nintendo for doing this! I know this is something we've all wanted for a while, now if we want to use a different weapon and have a good set for it, we don't have to leave the lobby!
NEW HAIRSTYLES AND GEAR:
I loooooooooove the new hairstyles they gave to boys, they're probably my two new favorites. The mohawk is what I've wanted since day one and the other one looks eerily similar to my haircut in real life (seriously, has Nintendo been spying on me or something?). As for the new girl hairstyles, I like the short cut withe the bangs, but the pigtails just look a little off to me. Luckily it looks much better when wearing certain hats, so I might use it sometime. I haven't seen too much of the new gear, but what I have seen looks like a lot of gear for the cold season, which is nice! (Although it makes no sense since Inkopolis is clearly a beach city)
NEW MUSIC:
Oh man, The Bottom Feeders are the SHIZ! They're without any doubt my new favorite Splatoon 2 band. I used to play a lot of Assassin's Creed 4 on my PS4, and that game has all sorts of awesome sea shanties, I love them. So now you take that and infuse it with my favorite music genre: Punk Rock? HEAK YEAH! Ink Theory, on the other hand, I don't really care for. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with their songs as a whole and I can totally understand why someone would like them, but I just found myself getting bored by them. Every other turf war battle them just really gets me moving, but when I listened to Ink Theory, I just sat there staring at the screen of my tablet thinking "uh...OK?". They don't even sound that much like Splatoon songs, they sound like they'd fit more in Cuphead. I just hope this isn't going to be like Splatoon 1 where they added two more bands and that's it, because I really don't want it to end on a bad note for me. (See what I did there?)
NEW MAPS:
I thought Makomart looked really boring at first, way too much white everywhere. I've seen some more screenshots of it now and it doesn't look nearly as boring, I like it! (Also, the janitor there must really hate his job!) Then there's Shellendorf Institute, I haven't seen anything about this map and I don't even know what to expect with a title like institute. I mean, is it a college campus? Or a hospital? Then there's the returning maps, I'm happy to see Arowana Mall back, but why Walleye Warehouse? That was such a boring map imo, nothing that made it stand out from the others.
NEW WEAPONS:
So, Nintendo finally brings back the Hydra, one of my favorite weapons from the first. Not only that, but they gave it my favorite sub and my favorite special? Talk about a coincidence! I've also heard we're going to get the Squeezer, I don't know too much about it but from what I've read it sounds like an ink DMR.
NEW RANKED MODE:
Even after reading the description numerous times, I still don't understand how Clam Blitz works. Hopefully I will by the time it comes out, I'm just glad we're actually getting more ranked modes!
So those are my thoughts on the update. I've got to say, I'm impressed. I did not expect Nintendo to put out an update that gives us SO much new stuff, but I guess Splatoon 1 had an update like that too. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
This update had me hyped. New weapons, hairstyles, a new Ranked mode, new and returning maps (Arowana... REALLY!? That map had to return!?)... it gives me a reason to return to Splatoon 2. Can't wait!

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
This game needs more linear maps. I just hope they don't screw it up like they did Port Mackerel.
For the sake of diversity, sure, but Arowana has never been a great map (or Moray for that matter) if you ask me. I disagree with Port Makerel being "screwed up". The alterations make it a more fun experience since you're given a few more combat options playing the map. The sponges weren't really needed and just serve as more of a nuisance than a map feature, but the linearity of the original kinda got a bit boring after a while. Games on the original kinda felt samey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom