• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ver 2.2.0 Patch notes out

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Ahh, this is good, good. Now i'll have an easier time dealing with Inkzooka xD.

Kraken nerf sounds good, now with that 3/4 of a second pause before shooting, it makes over extending that much more painful. (Even though i've taken a liking to the Custom Range blaster, i'm usually at the back lines so i use kraken if i get a bad situation or there's someone who's prime for splatting.).

I want to feel sorry for E-litres, but i can't. Those things were, well, harsh on my team and I to say the least.
Blasters nerf is no big deal for me. I'm pretty used to two hit splash splats, anyway xD
Speaking of blasters, The normal Range Blaster is now looking even more inferior to the Custom variant now.

Roller nerf is music to my ears xD Though the influx ( or rate) of Rollers might not change, i mean when it comes down to it, you're meant to be facing your opponent when you're trying to splat them right? Serious roller users will not be affected by such petty things. On the other hand, the -As i like to call it- "Carry on Krak-on" (Or you might say "Carry me Kraken") users "might" be a little less frequent adding to the fact that their special has been nerfed, though it only really applies to lower ranks if it does apply at all.

But the thing i'm thinking about the most is:
Those poor 96 gal deco ranked players. I'm going to miss them constantly poking my feet and hiding behind walls. (An major exaggeration on them no longer being seen, but it seems the 96 gal deco's sub/special combo was hit hard...maybe not as hard as E-litre power nerf as i see it.)

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Sooo.
First of all, I think the patch addresses a lot of valid points, but there are also some things of which I'm very sceptical at the moment.

* Splash Wall: FINALLY! Whenever I played a weapon without splash wall, I noticed how overpowered they were. They will still have their rightful place in the game, but now they are actually a normal sub weapon again.

* Inkzooka: This will hit hard, as it will decrease the number of shots from 6 to probably 3-4. Also avoiding it after the first shot will get much easier.

* Blasters: I'm a little surprised here. Blasters weren't that good in high level play, due to min ranging and their general range issues. But as someone who doesn't play blasters at all, I'm fine with that.

* Rollers, especially Dynamo Roller: Kinda similar to the blasters. The nerf will weaken the rollers quite a lot. Gonna look forward to seeing how they will perfom in the future.

* E-Liter: Gonna have to see how exactly the damage decrease is going to work out. I have an alternative loadout available to shift from 1 main + 6 sub damage to 2 main + 5 sub, so I'm fine with that, too. The problem is, if adding additional damage actually works to regain the E-Liters old strength, it will disadvantage everyone who doesn't have the right gear. It's easy to get something set up with about 25 points worth of damage, but it's very hard to get something good in the mid 30s (main = 10, sub = 3).

* Weird special charge up changes in ranked: Probably not translated very well. One sentence says the leading team will get a special advantage, which can't be right.

* And finally, probably my biggest compaint of the update: Softening the high S and S+ scoring. Sure, you will be matched with more S+ players soon, as more and more people will get to that rank. But until now S+ was a great filter to sort the very good from the above-average-good-ish players. Also the patchnote mention the difficulty to stay at S+99 will remain about the same, which is a slap in the face for everyone who's got there with +2/-8 scoring...

We'll see how this turns out. Overall it's awesome to see the dev team working with the input from the players. Also these patchnotes are superior. Other developers should take this as an example.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
The concept of a splash wall was OP to begin with. Why the developers added it in I dunno. I find it weird that they were redesigning the trail of the tower so that you couldn't bounce splash walls off the wall onto the tower. Luna blaster being nerfed is ***n justice.

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
* Weird special charge up changes in ranked: Probably not translated very well. One sentence says the leading team will get a special advantage, which can't be right.
It does say Splat Zones, and the only logic I can think of is for the team controlling the zone an easier time defending (because they will not be actively inking turf, instead staying in one spot)

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I have to say, although I was disappointed with some of the nerfs, I will enjoy the changes. Splash Walls will not be useless with their lowered hp, but still be a useful tool and generally more balanced. I admit my precious the Dynamo Roller is somewhat OP, and it gives no metrics on the nerfs. Kraken may have got hit, but 200p isn't much harder to fill up. As with the Blasters, I just will have to work more on my aim to score 1 shots. E-liter will still be able to splat well, it just takes longer to charge and makes approaches easier. Inkzooka deserves the nerf simply because of the amount of salt it generates.

The buffs are what make me happy. N-Zap and Dual squelchers gain more speed, Rapid Blaster and Mini Splatling gain more firerate, the Splash-O-Matic gains more power (and an even better bomb rush), Heavy Splatling, Bamboozler, Jet Squelcher, and Splattershot pro gain more ink efficiency, L-3 gains turf coverage, while the H-3 gains coverage and range, made Sloshers even better in Rainmaker, and made Brushes even slightly better. The only things I would have added is a buff to the Sploosh (Better move speed or firerate) and something small for the Octobrushes as both their specials got hurt.

ssupermario92

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ssupermario92
The only thing that concerns me with the Dynamo changes is if they rebalanced the damage to be more towards the middle, or just cut off damage on the sides. The Dynamo was strongest when you pointed the handle slightly towards the opponent. It had the best chance of landing kills due to the blob RNG.

If they increased the damage/blob spread to be more linear that would solve its biggest weakness (RNG) and more usable in small corridors (ie: port mackerel). Overall the changes make no big difference. It reduces the number of average players picking up the weapon and getting free kills left and right.
my thoughts exactly. Peeps will still sing the "dynamo op" tune

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
Seriously, regarding the Dynamo, I'm very glad the nerf they gave it works as a curse for mindless swingers, yet as a blessing for good users. One of the things I'm most happy about is that an empty ink tank won't reload between swings anymore. I saw way too many people preparing a swing with a dried up Dynamo only to then be on the recieving end of a faceful of ink.

D

Deleted Member

Seriously, regarding the Dynamo, I'm very glad the nerf they gave it works as a curse for mindless swingers, yet as a blessing for good users. One of the things I'm most happy about is that an empty ink tank won't reload between swings anymore. I saw way too many people preparing a swing with a dried up Dynamo only for then be on the recieving end of a faceful of ink.
Anyone who uses the Dynamo when its completely out of ink is bad.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Honestly, I think the main thing the nerf to rollers is going to do is weed out the difference in players. The players who are skilled with rollers and know how to aim will adjust to the change and be as much trouble for others as usual. The players who swing mindlessly and don't aim will be the ones who rage quit with rollers and switch to a different weapon class.

Simply put... If you don't already aim with your roller, learn how to.

It's kind of the same with blasters. Learn how to aim better instead of shooting wildly and you will be fine.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
Wow, I'm going to love the N-Zapper 89 much more now. Looking at the adjusted specs for the Dynamo Roller are much more pleasing too. A 11% increase of walking speed when firing while using the N-Zapper weapons is a very welcome improvement. Especially since I am remorseless splatter of inklings with that weapon and they pretty much gave me a moving speed boost thus more active dodging while firing. Woooo! The ink gunner is back in business!

Edit: I just looked at the Heavy Splatting upgrade patch and the 10% decrease in ink usage is making me happy. It's nothing compared to the Bamboozler 14 MK II's ink usage decrease of 12.5% however. So if you like the Bamboozler, this will certainly make you happy~

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I'm really digging this update. Weapons that gave me so much trouble fighting them getting nerfs, weapons I like using getting buffs (though not the Carbon Roller, unfortunately), and of course certain other adjustments to make the gaming experience flow better. While the Inkzooka nerf is going to be tough since I seem to be using weapons that include it lately, it should help make it more of a tactical one rather than the "surprise gotcha" emergency tech it was before. I'm sure as long as it still reaches far I can still get faraway foes with it!

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
Anyone who uses the Dynamo when its completely out of ink is bad.
Didn't keep bad players from using them, though.

I love the N-zap buffs, but I think I'm most excited for the ink usage buff on Inkbrushes. 10% is a huge difference! It affords the room for strength ups or swim speed ups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom